BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-07 10:46 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Cathy - I am supposed to snack in the evenings. I have type 2 diabetes and it is important not to go to bed on an empty stomach. The plan is to have a snack that is one serving of a protein and a carb. A carb serving is like a slice of bread and a protein (could be an egg or something similar).

For myself, I find this a bit too light and I always find proteins to be a problem but an ideal snack might be a can of herring ($1.17 @ Walmart and pretty clean, 170cal) plus a slice of bread with almond butter and either Almond Milk or Soy Milk. About 450cal total. As Marilyn said any nutrient dense type foods are good options as well. The bread should be a high fibre version like rye, sourdough or pumpernickel. Bare in mind I'm a male and there is no way I can get by on what my wife (or any typical woman) can get by on.

For you maybe aim for a snack (if you find you want one) in the 300 cal. range - say an apple and slice of Wasa bread and cheese.

2014-01-07 11:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Tim - I heard a long time ago: "Some people eat to live and some people live to eat". Sounds like your wife eats to live. I'm a "live to eat" person.

Since she is slowly coming around to soup would she eat ground pork, shrimps and bok choy? If so I'll write out the recipe for Won Ton soup. It takes awhile to prepare especially if you're doing it alone but it would last a few meals. We usually make it with friends or our kids in an assembly line type situation.

It is a pretty clean meal. And, really good if I do say so myself. I've got more recipes I want to share.

As it happens my wife doesn't eat eggs either. We went to Thailand and Cambodia for three months awhile ago and she just can't eat eggs since. we also found western food so incredibly salty we couldn't eat typical "food court" foods anymore. For us we both have our idiosyncracies - she eats things I can't bring myself to eat (headcheese!!) and I eat things she won't eat but we're mostly in sync.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-07 11:05 PM
2014-01-08 6:14 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Marilyn - I have noticed some low grade intestinal discomfort lately. Not too much but definitely there for awhile. I haven't really paid attention to it so I'll have to be a bit more aware.

Your food planning looks very imaginative. I'm going to have to get more daring and imaginative pretty soon as well.

I just got home after my 1st cycling session of the year and I can't believe how hard it was after only two weeks off. Its all I can do to stay awake right now but on the plus side I'm now officially training for my June HIM (only 22 weeks away).

What day's your race, George? Maria & I have a HIM on June 1. Yeah!
2014-01-08 6:15 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
So how did yesterday go, folks?

I did OK - much better than Monday's snack fiesta!

Food
7:30a
-2 eggs w/ ham, tomato, mushrooms; banana; coffee
12:45p - cutie, chicken patty, sweet potato w/ butter, crab stew
6p - chicken rosemary lasagna (good, not GF)
9p - carrots w/ guac, beer
Water - 3

Today is off to a good start as well. The only bummer is that my SodaStream is out of CO2, so I haven't been as good with my water as I'd like to be. Need to get that refilled today.

Also, I'm starting a "Biggest Loser" thing at work today - I'll let you know if I learn anything of general interest.
2014-01-08 6:17 AM

User image

Champion

Since she is slowly coming around to soup would she eat ground pork, shrimps and bok choy? If so I'll write out the recipe for Won Ton soup. It takes awhile to prepare especially if you're doing it alone but it would last a few meals. We usually make it with friends or our kids in an assembly line type situation.

Yes, please do write it out!!!
2014-01-08 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz  Your food planning looks very imaginative. I'm going to have to get more daring and imaginative pretty soon as well.  

I HAVE to get creative or I'll never keep it up - I will get so bored I will just binge on pure crap.  Food is SO mental/emotional for me!  It helps me to have lots of meals prepared at home, then I just pick and choose/mix and match when I go to pack my lunch or make dinner.  I also keep a good amount of fruit, veggies, and lean meats at home so I can put something together at the last minute.

2014-01-08 6:46 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Planning for the next few days is rough - I have to drive to NC for work this afternoon and generally my meals are influenced by my coworkers.  I am going out to lunch for a friend's birthday, but the restaurant is a really authentic italian place and i know i can choose something simple like broiled salmon.  But there are lots of sandwiches and nights out coming ahead.  MUST RESIST!  I haven't drank all week to save up my "booze calories" for tonight - haha!  My coworkers are pretty easygoing for dinner - we can pick a restaurant that will have better options - but lunches are usually subs brought in to the plant.  Also - after a 12 hour workday yesterday - the last 6 hours were on my feet running an assembly line - I totally skipped my workout.  I'll do it tonight on the hotel treadmill.

In the past I've brought ALL of my own meals on work trips.  But I'm not so hardcore now.  Any tips for surviving road trips???

2014-01-08 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Yes, please do write it out!!!

Yes please! One asian food she does eat is wonton soup, and I've never attempted to make it. Do you by chance have a good spring roll recipe?
2014-01-08 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Monday and Tuesday went well for me,
PB toast for breakfast, Salad for lunch and a re heated meal both days.

Wednesday however was a bit of a disaster. Junk for breakfast, sushi for lunch (not too bad) and junk for dinner... officially a binge I think.

Today I woke up feeling bloated, after Wednesday's binge so skipped breakfast, sushi again for lunch and have been hitting the water hard. Tonight I'll be having a bike trainer session, and probably a grilled chicken breast and salad for dinner.

After a few false starts I'm also really wanting to get back into the logging of my food. I know if I do that, consistently, I will win with my food. So for anyone on MFP who would like to add me, my username there is bulfrognz

2014-01-08 9:53 PM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
It took awhile to write it up while trying to be brief:

Won Ton Soup

Filling Ingredients:
Approx. 1 lb minced pork 1/2lb of ice shrimp (the small white/pink ones) cut each into 3 pces. ½ cup of water chestnuts (chopped fine) Could use a whole small can. Up to 1 tbsp of low sodium soya sauce. Pepper to your own taste. 1 large egg (beaten). 1tsp to 1tbsp of sesame oil (to your own taste)

6 to 8 cups of water (real vegetable or chicken broth – without sodium - would be preferable).
Package of Won Ton wrappers (here we buy them in two packages of 100 wrappers/pkg). Store them in the freezer and defrost them when you want to use them (don’t open the package until you’re ready to fill and cook them).
Plus baby Bok Choy chopped into bite size pces. And, optional you can chop up some green onion to put in the broth.
These ingredients will make 90 to 110# won tons depending on how much filling you put in each.

Mix all the “filling” ingredients in a bowl.
Put the water or broth in a LARGE pot on low heat with bok choy (add the green onion at the last minute).
Another large pot with just water (and maybe a little salt) is also on high heat. As you fill the wonton wrappers you’ll boil a dozen or so at a time in this pot then when they’re cooked (floating and wrinkled) transfer them to the broth (otherwise you get a lot of residual flour build up in your soup).
You’ll also need a small 1 cup size bowl of water to dip your fingers in for folding the wraps.

Filling the wrappers – take a wrap flat in your hand then use a small spoon (tsp) to scoop out a ball of filling about 3/4” in diameter and place it in the centre of the wrap. Dip your fingers in the small bowl and wet all four edges then fold into a triangle and place on a plate until you have 12 – 15 ready to go into the boiling pot.

You can’t over cook them but you don’t want to add more to the boiling water until the previous batch has been removed to the broth. If you run out of filling before you run out of wraps just put the last few wraps in the broth they’re good as well.
We usually got our kids involved (or friends when we’ve invited people over). So my wife would supervise the kids and they would fill the wraps and I’d do the boiling and stir the soup. In no time at all we’d have 100+ wontons in a good broth. If you have access to some good BBQ Pork you could add some slices to each bowl of soup but I’ve never been able to come up with a suitable recipe.

This recipe is fairly bland but if you’re not careful it gets way to salty real fast. Just season with soya sauce to your taste in your own bowl.
Once you’ve made this once you can personalize it to suit your own tastes.
2014-01-08 10:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I forgot to mention in the recipe that if you just use water instead of broth you'll have to add seasoning like soya sauce, fish sauce or Mrs. Dash. Just be careful of the amount of sodium you add.

I swam today and then came home and ran 8# intervals on our treadmill. Afterwards I was incredibly tired so I did a really hard nap. Good day.

Kristen - My race is June 15th in Victoria, BC. June 15th is really early season for us. And, like you I'm really excited about it.

Yesterday I ate fairly well but today I think I ate well but I ate too much. Today I had oatmeal and soy milk for breakfast; For lunch I had homemade chili with a good dollop of greek yoghurt, chocolate milk (for recovery post run) and an apple; for dinner homemade red curry coconut shrimp on rice and veggies. My snack is yet TBD.

Marilyn - Road trip tips? Not really easy is it. Maybe try eating raw foods (fruit, veggies and dip, etc).

Tim - I do have a Spring Roll recipe that is pretty good. I'll have to find it. They're pretty basic and versatile.

2014-01-09 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mehaner

Planning for the next few days is rough - I have to drive to NC for work this afternoon and generally my meals are influenced by my coworkers.  I am going out to lunch for a friend's birthday, but the restaurant is a really authentic italian place and i know i can choose something simple like broiled salmon.  But there are lots of sandwiches and nights out coming ahead.  MUST RESIST!  I haven't drank all week to save up my "booze calories" for tonight - haha!  My coworkers are pretty easygoing for dinner - we can pick a restaurant that will have better options - but lunches are usually subs brought in to the plant.  Also - after a 12 hour workday yesterday - the last 6 hours were on my feet running an assembly line - I totally skipped my workout.  I'll do it tonight on the hotel treadmill.

In the past I've brought ALL of my own meals on work trips.  But I'm not so hardcore now.  Any tips for surviving road trips???

I travel about 1x a month for work - not as hard as 12 hour workdays, but it isn't easy. I usually am battling airport food and banquet dinners. Yikes.

I always bring a bunch of lara bars, trail mix, dried fruit, and shelf-stable turkey pepperoni. I'm toying with bringing some of those tuna salad kits as well. I sometimes bring hardboiled eggs for the first leg of the journey, but they don't keep long.

Breakfast is usually continental, although one group that I've been meeting with has started serving eggs and sausage with the pastry & fruit, so I don't need to eat ahead of time. The problem then is that if I get up and run early, before meetings start, then I have to wait forever for breakfast - so I'll snack on a bar or trail mix before then. Lunch is sometimes sandwiches, sometimes real food - I've become unashamed to open up the sandwiches and eat the meat out; for a cold cuts bar, I'll take meat and extra lettuce leaves & tomato. Dinner is the real challenge, since it's usually a choice between house or caesar salad, fish or chicken or pasta, and dessert. (Plus too much wine.) I usually just eat dinner since my mind is so fried after a long day of thinking.

I read somewhere that your mind can only do so much in a day; I think my mind is just done by dinner time, so I don't have any decision-making or will powers left.
2014-01-09 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Thanks for the recipe, George - I think my kids would like to help with that & it would be a fun weekend dinner.

And whoo whoo - it looks like there's a bunch of us going through HIM training through the spring. It will be good to keep each other on track and encourage each other. Are you using one of BT's plans or something else?
2014-01-09 10:00 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

I'm still in Texas and spent the ENTIRE day with my parents shopping!  Wish I could log the walking we did!  I've tried to be good about eating and until yesterday I was doing ok.  We ate out for lunch and dinner UGH!  I need to go home and get back to my life.

2014-01-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

STRESS EATING LIKE WHOA TODAY

i caved and ate a donut and it was delicious, but work is stressing me and that is my excuse.

i'm not at home so i don't have other options, i would usually just make some hot tea or something, but not so today.

2014-01-09 11:56 AM

User image

Champion

i caved and ate a donut and it was delicious, but work is stressing me and that is my excuse.

i'm not at home so i don't have other options, i would usually just make some hot tea or something, but not so today.

1 - At least the donut was delicious - way worse when your stress food doesn't even taste good.

2 - Don't let it ruin your whole day and/or turn into eating a whole, large supreme pizza with a pitcher of beer. It's just a donut. Move on from it.

2014-01-09 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Kristen - I'm using a training plan by Gale Bernhardt (from her book on multisport training). It worked really well last summer so I'm hoping to do even better this year.

I had a bit of a weird food day today. Breakfast and dinner were fine but when I went to make lunch my M-I-L was baking healthy calorie free muffins so I couldn't get in to make the eggs I wanted so I had to improvise with whatever I could grab in a few seconds. I didn't do too bad but there were cookies involved... but not too many (4).

After cycling this afternoon I did sample one of the muffins and it wasn't bad at all. I might have to steal another one.

Marilyn - Just one doughnut! You have amazing self control. How could you stop at just one? Seriously, I think you did really well. When it comes to yummy anything I am fine if I just don't buy it but if I have it with me or in the house (like ice cream in the freezer) it calls me over and over.
2014-01-10 8:34 AM

User image

Champion

Kristen - I'm using a training plan by Gale Bernhardt (from her book on multisport training). It worked really well last summer so I'm hoping to do even better this year.

I had a bit of a weird food day today. Breakfast and dinner were fine but when I went to make lunch my M-I-L was baking healthy calorie free muffins so I couldn't get in to make the eggs I wanted so I had to improvise with whatever I could grab in a few seconds. I didn't do too bad but there were cookies involved... but not too many (4).

After cycling this afternoon I did sample one of the muffins and it wasn't bad at all. I might have to steal another one.

Marilyn - Just one doughnut! You have amazing self control. How could you stop at just one? Seriously, I think you did really well. When it comes to yummy anything I am fine if I just don't buy it but if I have it with me or in the house (like ice cream in the freezer) it calls me over and over.

Can you forward the recipe for calorie-free muffins too?

What's on deck for this weekend, folks? Any challenges to clean eating?

I have a banquet tonight for my daughter's triathlon training group - it will be interesting to see what kind of food they serve.
2014-01-10 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I'd like to join so I can get encouragement to get my eating back on track.

NAME: Kim

STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2008, in the midst of a divorce.  I had developed some bad habits and something inside me clicked and made me take control of my life for the first time in a very long time.  I injured my knee (torn meniscus) at the end of 2008 and fell back into my lazy ways so no races until 2011.  During that one, I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis so it was a case of just getting it done.  After that, I had surgery to have a bunion removed.

In 2013, I had signed up for another sprint and was completely dedicated to my training during the first 3 weeks of January.  Then we got news that my mom had lung cancer.  I was traveling to and from Texas (I live in the Chicago burbs) and the stress just got to be too much so I decided to drop out.  Along with my mom's cancer diagnosis, we realized that she also has advanced dementia.  It was something that started while she was in the hospital and has progressed from there.  She went from being lucid (although the nurses told us that she is very good at covering it up) to sometimes not knowing who I am.  Also, last March, my youngest stepdaughter was killed in a car accident.  Needless to say, I'm hoping for a better year.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 41, married for almost 4 years (anniversary in March) to a man I married after knowing for only 2 1/2 months.  I have a 29 year old stepdaughter and two grandchildren, ages 7 and 3.  We also have 3 fur babies: border collie/lab, golden retriever/corgi --or something to that effect, and an orange tabby cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back off the couch again this year.  Just moved to a new town and have a new gym membership to boot.  My goal is to get active again and keep the injuries at bay.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Esprit de She - 6/8 but would like to find some more to keep me motivated

2013 RACES/EVENTS: 

BODY COMPOSITION: I lost about 25 lbs in 2012 and actually managed to keep it off in 2013 which is really the first time that's happened in a long time.  I am still quite fluffy and need to lose about 80 lbs.  My goal is to lose 6-8 lbs a month by training and following a keto diet.

2014-01-10 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - OPEN

Question #1 What's YOUR definition of clean eating? What part(s) of your clean do you have the hardest time with?

My definition is fresh, minimally processed real food.  I have many problems with clean eating such as loving chips and soda.  However, my biggest issues is feeling like I'm cooking all of the time.  I spend most of the day on Sundays cooking lunches and dinners for the week so that when I come home after work, I'm not tempted to go get fast food because I'm too tired to cook.  But I've been having trouble gauging how much food to cook lately and we end up running out by Thursday.  Breakfasts are the hardest for me because I'm usually rushing to get out the door.  I tried to make a breakfast casserole to last the week, but I found the consistency of the eggs to be less than optimal.  I know that if I can just get into the habit of taking a couple of minutest to scramble a couple of eggs in the morning, I'll see that it's not really any different than taking a few minutes in the McDonald's drive thru.

2014-01-10 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

Question # 2 Do you track your food? What program do you use? Do you like it or feel like it is a chore? Do you think it helps you?

Nope, but I should.  Again, it's all about getting into a habit and sticking with it.

2014-01-10 4:02 PM
in reply to: tricupcake

User image

Champion
Welcome, Kim! Happy to have you join us! (I need to remake the link table - I'll get you added.)
2014-01-11 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

One donut, not bad at all! For me one donut leads to 6, so having the willpower to stop at one is a good thing!

My go to road trip food is beef jerkey, No need to worry about refrigeration and the protein really helps stem the cravings and growling stomach between meals. Another trick I use is gum. Anytime I feel like I am craving something sweet, then I pop in some gum.
2014-01-11 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by enders_shadow

What's on deck for this weekend, folks? Any challenges to clean eating?

I've got a group bike ride planned for this afternoon, and then meeting some family for dinner. Luckily they all know we are trying to eat healthier so we are going to a Jason's Deli where I can get soup and salad.
2014-01-11 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Weighed myself yesterday - 142.  That is up a pound since joining the group.  My eating has been good but I haven't done any training for days.  The freezing weather just zaps my motivation to do anything. I need to get back on track with the workouts again.  I won't be able to do the HM I had planned for the end of Feb so I will look for a 5 or 10k to do in Feb or March instead. 

I finished my last night shift this morning so now have 5 days off.  No plans to go anywhere, will be home to cook good healthy food every day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20303 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24944 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.