BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

This will be my first Olympic, so I'm really looking forward to it.  I'd love to break the 2:30 mark, but we'll see how it goes.  The bike course is pretty hilly.  The 10k is pretty flat and is a double out and back.

Oooooooooh! Good luck

Neon, right?

You know it.

The race went well for it being my first Olympic.  I don't have AG and OA breakdowns yet, but the swim was decent (I haven't swum much in six weeks, need to get back on that), the bike was OK, and the run was kinda tough.  Definitely had to grind through the run (it got shortened to 8K for some reason.  But I did it in 2:28:49!  I'll take my shortened run sub-2:30.  Looks like I was 22 OA (not sure of how many yet).

By the way, I love meeting people at races.  Shooting the breeze in transition, or before the swim, and then looking for them on the race course.  The double out and back run was very conducive to talking to people multiple times.  Gotta love it.

Now I'm left with strange cravings for... pickles and green olives.

Salt.  I used to love eating those together.  The pickles made the olives taste sweet.  I'd probably go through 1/3 jar of pickles.  Can't even imagine the salt intake from that kind of snack but it was very satisfying!

Great job on your race.  I'm really looking forward to that social aspect too.  Being the extrovert I am, I'm sure I'll be yakking with everybody in sight.

2014-08-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

This will be my first Olympic, so I'm really looking forward to it.  I'd love to break the 2:30 mark, but we'll see how it goes.  The bike course is pretty hilly.  The 10k is pretty flat and is a double out and back.

Oooooooooh! Good luck

Neon, right?

You know it.

The race went well for it being my first Olympic.  I don't have AG and OA breakdowns yet, but the swim was decent (I haven't swum much in six weeks, need to get back on that), the bike was OK, and the run was kinda tough.  Definitely had to grind through the run (it got shortened to 8K for some reason.  But I did it in 2:28:49!  I'll take my shortened run sub-2:30.  Looks like I was 22 OA (not sure of how many yet).

By the way, I love meeting people at races.  Shooting the breeze in transition, or before the swim, and then looking for them on the race course.  The double out and back run was very conducive to talking to people multiple times.  Gotta love it.

Now I'm left with strange cravings for... pickles and green olives.

Congratulations! When's the due date?

Super job, OLY TRIATHLETE

hahaha, that's where my mind went too.

Congrats on hitting your goal and having a great race.  I also love that you make so many friends at the race.  That's cool!

2014-08-03 1:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey everybodeeeeeee! Just checking in, getting caught up, etc....so...latest news: my race last week went well-slow, but we'll! I ran more of it than other races this year, and had a good time too--the best part? No blisters! As I mentioned earlier, I am officially signed up for CIM, it's in December, and I start training officially NOW. Yep. Actually TRAINING. It's obviously end times. My 4 week nutrition challenge ends in 3 days--I stuck to it reasonably well and am down 10 pounds and a pants size. I plan on sticking to the majority of the eating plan, but will definitely reintroduce 'pizza Fridays' back into my lifestyle! I do feel really good overall, so I am happy. 

My mom had acquired a hernia due to the hip surgery/cancer madness last year, so she had surgery on it on Thursday...of course, she couldn't do it normally and the 'outpatient' procedure resulted in an overnight stay and the realization that she is allergic to morphine! She is back home now and recovering well. Still no return of cancer so we are cautiously optimistic. My dad continues to work on his various issues--he is having a hard time losing more weight, but his foot is slowly getting better from the diabetic issues...he is walking often and though slowly, it will mean improvement overall. 

On the job front...nothing. No call backs, no interviews, etc. But...I am okay with that. The management has put another person (of my choosing--his too, thankfully) as my back up keeper...this means the stress inducing troublemaker will NOT be back to annoy me. They have also let me know that I will be the only supervising keeper of the reptile section. AND. We just got a new general curator--who just brought in 3 incredibly far Madagascar Big Headed Turtles to begin a conservation/breeding program with us! Super excited to work with these guys! 

All in all I am happy with life right now.

2014-08-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Oops dp

Edited by kgore 2014-08-03 1:58 PM
2014-08-03 2:48 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Denver, CO

Kate's training?!?!  End times indeed!!  It sounds like things are going well on many fronts.  Great job on your race and nutrition challenge results.  Yes, Pizza Friday should definitely come back, especially if you're going to be using up all those calories training!

2014-08-03 6:20 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm off back to work now but has anyone heard how Janyne went with her HIM?

2014-08-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I got 3rd AG and 29th OA.  I had the first time in the AG with a mere mortal time.  The other two guys were both 2:06.

There's room to improve for next year, but I'm glad I have this one in the bag.  Such is the way of racing, no?

2014-08-03 8:28 PM

User image

Master

I got 3rd AG and 29th OA.  I had the first time in the AG with a mere mortal time.  The other two guys were both 2:06.

There's room to improve for next year, but I'm glad I have this one in the bag.  Such is the way of racing, no?

First Oly? AWESOME!!!! Gotta feel good about this one :D
2014-08-04 6:33 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm back to work as well. The weekend was pretty much a working one, as we did stuff around the house most of the time, although we did get out with a friend and go line dancing on Sat night.

I believe Janyne came in under 6 hours, which I believe is right around where she should be with training for IMChoo. The only pics I saw had her smiling at the end, but she always does that. Her finisher pics are always great! Oh yeah, I also saw pics of chocolate treats and coffee, so I think the weekend was a success for her. I'm expecting a more descriptive RR is forthcoming...

2014-08-04 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job!

2014-08-04 6:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

SCHMOLEY SHYTE BATMAN I made the front cover of Indonesia's largest daily yesterday! It's got a readership in the millions! Best of all I got a word in for Bali Sports Foundation

Here's my oh-so-awesome seat of the pants translation of the bit with me (in a larger piece about ultra endurance sports). Please don't laugh (too much) about the extremely obvious do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do stuff ...

"It's harder to reach the start line than the finish line," said Arsiyanti Ardie, 38, Manager of Marketing Indocore Indonesia and Commissioner of Bali Sport Foundation for disabled and disadvantaged Indonesians. That is, the preparation to participate in various competitions requires preparation in exercise much more extensive than the race itself.

According to Yanti, to undertake extreme events, such as long course triathlons or open water swimming, it requires mental toughness, self control, time management, and simply everyday discipline.

For example, Yanti found it's more important to be consistent at something small every day and not stop in the middle of the road than to do occasional big things. According to her, consistent exercise just 7-10 hours per week is enough to simply complete an Iron Man or Ultra Marathon.

Yanti was the first female from Indonesia who has reached finish of the triathlon category Full or Iron Man. "I reached the finish in time in Iron Man New Zealand, having previously failed to finish four times," she said.

Although big events can be reached through little achievements, it's not that Yanti doesn't try to test limits that may not be possible. She and her husband never swam from Lombok to Bali--yet. Straight, the distance is 40km, but it will be 60-75 kilometers. She said they may have to stop in the middle of the road. "Because the Bali-Lombok Strait can not be swum straight; you must rotate with the currents and tides, and it's dangerous," she said.

You don't have to be as extreme as Yanti.

2014-08-04 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

SCHMOLEY SHYTE BATMAN I made the front cover of Indonesia's largest daily yesterday! It's got a readership in the millions! Best of all I got a word in for Bali Sports Foundation

Here's my oh-so-awesome seat of the pants translation of the bit with me (in a larger piece about ultra endurance sports). Please don't laugh (too much) about the extremely obvious do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do stuff ...

"It's harder to reach the start line than the finish line," said Arsiyanti Ardie, 38, Manager of Marketing Indocore Indonesia and Commissioner of Bali Sport Foundation for disabled and disadvantaged Indonesians. That is, the preparation to participate in various competitions requires preparation in exercise much more extensive than the race itself.

According to Yanti, to undertake extreme events, such as long course triathlons or open water swimming, it requires mental toughness, self control, time management, and simply everyday discipline.

For example, Yanti found it's more important to be consistent at something small every day and not stop in the middle of the road than to do occasional big things. According to her, consistent exercise just 7-10 hours per week is enough to simply complete an Iron Man or Ultra Marathon.

Yanti was the first female from Indonesia who has reached finish of the triathlon category Full or Iron Man. "I reached the finish in time in Iron Man New Zealand, having previously failed to finish four times," she said.

Although big events can be reached through little achievements, it's not that Yanti doesn't try to test limits that may not be possible. She and her husband never swam from Lombok to Bali--yet. Straight, the distance is 40km, but it will be 60-75 kilometers. She said they may have to stop in the middle of the road. "Because the Bali-Lombok Strait can not be swum straight; you must rotate with the currents and tides, and it's dangerous," she said.

This^^^^^^^

Actually, that whole piece is cool, congratulations on getting the Sport Foundation out in the public eye.

2014-08-04 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

This^^^^^^^

Actually, that whole piece is cool, congratulations on getting the Sport Foundation out in the public eye.

HaHaHa, that was the part that jumped out a me too!  That and we finally have a job title for her besides assassin!  Congrats!!

2014-08-04 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

This^^^^^^^

HaHaHa, that was the part that jumped out a me too!  That and we finally have a job title for her besides assassin!  Congrats!!

Shrimp Farmer.

2014-08-04 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

This^^^^^^^

Shrimp Farmer.

Oh yeah, forgot that one.

2014-08-04 9:30 AM

User image

Denver, CO

This^^^^^^^

Shrimp Farmer.

Oh yeah, forgot that one.

That's our multi-talented gal!!  Great article, Yanti.  I got a laugh out of that last line too.

2014-08-04 9:32 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

First Oly? AWESOME!!!! Gotta feel good about this one :D

Awesome for sure!!  You're having such a great season.  Love that you got 3rd AG and still see room to improve.  Way to go!

2014-08-04 10:46 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Yikes - one small move and I'm not just pages BUT A WHOLE THREAD behind!

Just unpacked computer and using work puck for connectivity - Time Warner will be coming NEXT Saturday (so speedy).    I have some catching up to do, but I'm still around (if barely).

First day of work at new gig yesterday - I think I'm going to LOVE it!  And the people here are.. what's it that they call it?  Ummmm… Oh yeah, nice.    

We even went toobing (yep, that's how it's spelled!) down the Guadalupe River with the kids - was awesome!

OK - going for my first, quick run as a Texan, then back to unpacking boxes.  Dogs arrive Monday, too!!  WOOT!

Race well!  Heal up!  Be awesome!!

Matt

Good to hear you're getting unpacked and settled in...and HAVING FUN!

2014-08-04 11:17 AM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master

Originally posted by kgore

Hey everybodeeeeeee! Just checking in, getting caught up, etc....so...latest news: my race last week went well-slow, but we'll! I ran more of it than other races this year, and had a good time too--the best part? No blisters! As I mentioned earlier, I am officially signed up for CIM, it's in December, and I start training officially NOW. Yep. Actually TRAINING. It's obviously end times. My 4 week nutrition challenge ends in 3 days--I stuck to it reasonably well and am down 10 pounds and a pants size. I plan on sticking to the majority of the eating plan, but will definitely reintroduce 'pizza Fridays' back into my lifestyle! I do feel really good overall, so I am happy. 

My mom had acquired a hernia due to the hip surgery/cancer madness last year, so she had surgery on it on Thursday...of course, she couldn't do it normally and the 'outpatient' procedure resulted in an overnight stay and the realization that she is allergic to morphine! She is back home now and recovering well. Still no return of cancer so we are cautiously optimistic. My dad continues to work on his various issues--he is having a hard time losing more weight, but his foot is slowly getting better from the diabetic issues...he is walking often and though slowly, it will mean improvement overall. 

On the job front...nothing. No call backs, no interviews, etc. But...I am okay with that. The management has put another person (of my choosing--his too, thankfully) as my back up keeper...this means the stress inducing troublemaker will NOT be back to annoy me. They have also let me know that I will be the only supervising keeper of the reptile section. AND. We just got a new general curator--who just brought in 3 incredibly far Madagascar Big Headed Turtles to begin a conservation/breeding program with us! Super excited to work with these guys! 

All in all I am happy with life right now.

Well done with the eating plan and getting a race done  

Training??? What's next? The zombie apocalypse?

Glad that parental things are leveling out and that life is making you.

2014-08-04 11:22 AM

User image

Master

Taylor starts second grade on Wednesday, so we wanted to get in one more weekend trip...except it's monsoon season. We scrapped leaving Friday and watched the weather on Saturday morning. EVERYWHERE was going to rain at some point, so we decided to test a new place near Tucson. Of course, it rained...but not a ton and we had an amazing view from our site. Oh, and Mak gave herself black eye. lol

(20140803_115157.jpg)

(20140803_080520.jpg)

(20140802_160132.jpg)

(20140803_104539.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140803_115157.jpg (43KB - 7 downloads)
20140803_080520.jpg (85KB - 8 downloads)
20140802_160132.jpg (55KB - 7 downloads)
20140803_104539.jpg (89KB - 6 downloads)
2014-08-04 11:27 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hiya manatees!  I was on vacation for the last 2 1/2 weeks of July.  It was insane to try to post from my phone (grrr BT update!).  I finished my 150 mile ride!!  This is the first time I've managed to bike the whole thing.  Had a great weekend with my dad.  Realized I really need to get a bike fit and possibly a new saddle.  My tailbone is still bruised and the ride was 7/19 - 7/20.  Is it wrong that one of my saddle considerations is if I can get it in white to match my bike?

I'm kind of lacking in motivation right now.  In general, I'm not really up for super regimented training.  I don't know why.  I'm hoping I gain a little more motivation going into winter.

I'm taking August off from Body Back.  Going to start up again in September.  I was considering signing up for the half marathon training team and a half marathon in November, but I'm really not feeling that right now.  I'm not really up for a half marathon right now.  Maybe in the spring?  I'm not pushing it.

I am considering doing a century this fall.  There is one in Richmond in October, but it is really expensive. There is also one in Lake Anna in September.  That one has a stop at the Lake Anna winery, and they'll transport the wine to the finish.  

2014-08-04 11:29 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

So cool!!  I will definitely overlook that.  It's easy to tell other people what to do and less easy to do it yourself.  

2014-08-04 11:36 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

I'm not a member of this group, but I've been lurking here and I just wanted to say that you guys are hilarious! I do have some pretty awesome pet pics...just saying... ;-)
2014-08-04 11:41 AM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by dmgaudre I'm not a member of this group, but I've been lurking here and I just wanted to say that you guys are hilarious! I do have some pretty awesome pet pics...just saying... ;-)

Tell ya what, post some pics in here and let us decide just how awesome they are...

BTW, welcome to BT. I hope that the site has been helpful to your triathlon growth.

2014-08-04 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Taylor starts second grade on Wednesday, so we wanted to get in one more weekend trip...except it's monsoon season. We scrapped leaving Friday and watched the weather on Saturday morning. EVERYWHERE was going to rain at some point, so we decided to test a new place near Tucson. Of course, it rained...but not a ton and we had an amazing view from our site. Oh, and Mak gave herself black eye. lol

Poor Mak!  Just wait til she starts telling people that she got the black eye from her mom!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44499 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38695 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74167 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51635 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 26855 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.