BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-04 9:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in this but

What's with the wacky weather?!

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

Still hot here. Cold and rainy on this upcoming Sunday (race day).

yippie

Supposedly, we are getting that rain Saturday and it will be lows of 40, high 55 Sunday while I am handing out candy at mile 23 of the Disney marathon. Great weather for the runners, not too bad for the volunteers, though a bit warmer would be nice   I hope the forecast is right on the timing of the rain, cuz standing around in the rain for 7 hours will not be fun.

Speaking of running in bad weather, do you guys wash your stuff after every run? I only have 2 pairs of warm running pants/tights and 1 running hat/glove combo. I wash everything everything else after every run but even though they smell, am I the only one getting a few workouts in before they hit the washing machine?

I wash the tops/bottoms/bra after every run but not the jacket/vest/hat/gloves.  So basically, any outer layers, I let go.

ETA: So pretty much, everyone here probably thinks that I'm a slob since the FL peeps are like, wash everything always!

haha, Florida rules are different than most other state rules!

2017-01-04 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

yippie

Supposedly, we are getting that rain Saturday and it will be lows of 40, high 55 Sunday while I am handing out candy at mile 23 of the Disney marathon. Great weather for the runners, not too bad for the volunteers, though a bit warmer would be nice   I hope the forecast is right on the timing of the rain, cuz standing around in the rain for 7 hours will not be fun.

Speaking of running in bad weather, do you guys wash your stuff after every run? I only have 2 pairs of warm running pants/tights and 1 running hat/glove combo. I wash everything everything else after every run but even though they smell, am I the only one getting a few workouts in before they hit the washing machine?

I wash the tops/bottoms/bra after every run but not the jacket/vest/hat/gloves.  So basically, any outer layers, I let go.

ETA: So pretty much, everyone here probably thinks that I'm a slob since the FL peeps are like, wash everything always!

I'm the same way Janyne, other than hats. I have a sweaty forehead so those go in the wash after one use as well.

2017-01-04 9:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open. Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch." This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case." She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are: 1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235; 2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined; 3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and 4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Oh, I hope she's ok!!  Wow, just wow!!  Mom's very serious!

2017-01-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open. Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch." This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case." She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are: 1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235; 2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined; 3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and 4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Your Mom is my hero! I am very glad she wasn't hurt worse!

Yep, this ^^^^

No joke! She is hard core! I think she be givin' you a run for your money on this competition!

2017-01-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not sure if any of you have seen this about Yanti but now Mutti is sick as well.  Yanti is in Jakarta (back from Oscar's funeral in Bintan) and they are bringing in an extra helper.  Yanti has tasked her brother with helping out with this.  After losing Oscar, Yanti just did not need this. 

Please keep both Yanti and Mutti in your thoughts.

2017-01-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I wash everything after every run because I sweat like it's my job, even if it's 20*F out.  The only exception is sometimes gloves get multiple uses before washing.  Well, and if I should happen to wear a rain jacket.  That just gets hung up to dry.

Edited by melbo55 2017-01-04 9:58 AM

2017-01-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

yippie

I'm the same way Janyne, other than hats. I have a sweaty forehead so those go in the wash after one use as well.

I air stuff out on laundry racks after every run, but tend to wash after several. Socks I try only run once in as they seem to keep their shape better for me. Long socks more so.

2017-01-04 10:00 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if any of you have seen this about Yanti but now Mutti is sick as well.  Yanti is in Jakarta (back from Oscar's funeral in Bintan) and they are bringing in an extra helper.  Yanti has tasked her brother with helping out with this.  After losing Oscar, Yanti just did not need this. 

Please keep both Yanti and Mutti in your thoughts.

Oh dear, that is not good news!  You are very right, she needs Mutti to be well and OK.  No more sadness and loss.

2017-01-04 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Piggy's Revenge will be EPIC!

Speaking of Epic, are you and Lisa watching The Bachelor again this season? Can we expect more EPIC blog updates ;-)

EPIC?!?!? 

I think I saw that Lisa watched on Monday, although I have to stay away from her logs now to avoid spoilers.

I believe that this season of BachCrap will be challenging, just due to my dislike of the lead.  But I will do it for my many fan (singular). It is on the DVR, I may get through it tonight. First night is always fun, because we get our intros to the crazies. So, tomorrow I'll recap and make my picks for top 4, which I am sure everyone is interested in.  

Many fan +1. I LOVE your recaps.

2017-01-04 10:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Tell me about it. This morning was the first time I've worn a shirt on a run since last Friday.

I'm not sure I have enough clothes for what they're predicting here Sunday morning.
2017-01-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm another slob. When it's cold, I usually wear my winter running tights (I only have two pairs also, plus a pair of super-warm ski pants for really horrid conditions) over a pair of compression shorts (otherwise my butt gets cold and I cramp). I often wait for a couple of runs before washing the outer layer of tights or jacket. I do wash the inside layer (shorts and top), though--just gets too sweaty. Quality cold-weather run stuff is expensive and I'm reluctant to wear it out with too many passes through the washing machine.

2017-01-04 11:23 AM

User image

NAME: Tom

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: @Tom26601025

STORY: I'm going to be 40 this year so want to improve my fitness and also show my kids that sport is fun and can be enjoyed all through life even if you aren't the greatest at it. Did my first sprint triathlon last year as had always wanted to do one, then had a few injuries and a little car crash which curtailed the year for me. Very motivated this year to push on a see what I can do. Love the three disciplines and the friendly nature of the sport. I need to have a traget to aim for

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids 4 & 6

CURRENT TRAINING: Master swimming twice a week, run and ride a couple of times a week. Need more structure though as can get a bit lazy when the weather isn't great outside!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Wilsmlow Sprint Triathlon, Ulitmate Half Triathlon, Manchester Half Marathon and The Salford Quays Triathlon

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Continue to improve on my fitness and just challenge myself to see how I far and fast I can push myself.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The group was great for me last year as they offered my loads of support and advice when I needed it and want to be part of this great little community again. If I have any pearls of wisdoms I am willing to offer them also!
2017-01-04 11:50 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Hey, a new thread!

In other news, I was a race director for the first time on Sunday.  150ish people registered, and 130ish people did the race.  It went well, and I'm so relieved!

2017-01-04 11:57 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper NAME: Tom OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: @Tom26601025 STORY: I'm going to be 40 this year so want to improve my fitness and also show my kids that sport is fun and can be enjoyed all through life even if you aren't the greatest at it. Did my first sprint triathlon last year as had always wanted to do one, then had a few injuries and a little car crash which curtailed the year for me. Very motivated this year to push on a see what I can do. Love the three disciplines and the friendly nature of the sport. I need to have a traget to aim for FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids 4 & 6 CURRENT TRAINING: Master swimming twice a week, run and ride a couple of times a week. Need more structure though as can get a bit lazy when the weather isn't great outside! THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Wilsmlow Sprint Triathlon, Ulitmate Half Triathlon, Manchester Half Marathon and The Salford Quays Triathlon GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Continue to improve on my fitness and just challenge myself to see how I far and fast I can push myself. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The group was great for me last year as they offered my loads of support and advice when I needed it and want to be part of this great little community again. If I have any pearls of wisdoms I am willing to offer them also!

Again, welcome back!

Regarding the needing more structure, do you have a plan written out - even if it's just that for the off season I'll do this and when the season starts on this date, I'll start the next plan?

Also, do you have the dates of the races/events listed in your blog?

2017-01-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Hey, a new thread!

In other news, I was a race director for the first time on Sunday.  150ish people registered, and 130ish people did the race.  It went well, and I'm so relieved!

Howdy, Tom! You found us!  Is that your way of asking to join the new mentor group?  If so, could you please post your bio?  Thanks!

2017-01-04 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
NAME: Tom, Fox, Foxy.

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB, IG: ponderingfox, Tw: albrechtmba

STORY: My brother did a tri back in 2011, and got me interested in it. I thought it over, and figured I could swim, bike, run, so let's do it. Did my first in 2012, and been in it since. Last year was a running year, and this year probably will be skewed that way as well. I prefer the short course stuff, which invariably confuses all the people who see me as active and assume I surely must run marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no pets. So, doubly single?

CURRENT TRAINING: Picking back up after finishing PT for an achilles issue that cost me six months of racing.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Will be posting to training log soon.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I really want to run a 19:xx 5k this year. And set some good HM PRs. And do my first HIM.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been a manatee for four or five years now. Once a manatee, always a manatee. I still feel a loyalty to the group.

2017-01-04 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Hey, a new thread!

Howdy, Tom! You found us!  Is that your way of asking to join the new mentor group?  If so, could you please post your bio?  Thanks!

Was already in the process.  I know you always ding me for that.  

2017-01-04 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey, a new thread!

Congrats! That is awesome!

2017-01-04 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

STORY: My brother did a tri back in 2011, and got me interested in it. I thought it over, and figured I could swim, bike, run, so let's do it. Did my first in 2012, and been in it since. Last year was a running year, and this year probably will be skewed that way as well. I prefer the short course stuff, which invariably confuses all the people who see me as active and assume I surely must run marathons.

CURRENT TRAINING: Picking back up after finishing PT for an achilles issue that cost me six months of racing.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I really want to run a 19:xx 5k this year. And set some good HM PRs. And do my first HIM.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been a manatee for four or five years now. Once a manatee, always a manatee. I still feel a loyalty to the group.

And there it is!  Welcome back!

I see that you have a very specific time goal for your 5k.  Do you have a plan to get there?

2017-01-04 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey, a new thread!

Was already in the process.  I know you always ding me for that.  

hahaha!

2017-01-04 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I see that you have a very specific time goal for your 5k.  Do you have a plan to get there?

I know I have the potential for it.  I think it's simply a matter of being consistent and not getting injured.  I've had a running injury every year since 2011.  I think I've solved all the puzzle pieces, and have invested in some preventative strength training.  I have some key races in mind that I want to do well at, and hope to have a productive first half of the year.

I think my training mix will be along the lines of a 4/2/2/1 for r/b/s/w.  I'm hoping the cycling will contribute to a better lower body health, as well as to aerobic fitness.  While maintaining that training for more tri stuff in the middle/latter part of the year.

2017-01-04 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Also, for those that use TrainerRoad, the pod has a TrainerRoad group.  I haven't checked the prior pages yet, but we have several platform/social media groups, as well as a bike photo library for members.  I know I need to upload a pic of my new ride.

2017-01-04 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know I have the potential for it.  I think it's simply a matter of being consistent and not getting injured.  I've had a running injury every year since 2011.  I think I've solved all the puzzle pieces, and have invested in some preventative strength training.  I have some key races in mind that I want to do well at, and hope to have a productive first half of the year.

I think my training mix will be along the lines of a 4/2/2/1 for r/b/s/w.  I'm hoping the cycling will contribute to a better lower body health, as well as to aerobic fitness.  While maintaining that training for more tri stuff in the middle/latter part of the year.

I was just wondering if you've identified some key workouts to improve your speed, etc.

2017-01-04 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I was just wondering if you've identified some key workouts to improve your speed, etc.

Once I get my base mileage up to a comfortable level (at least 20), I'll start doing more speed work.  But I've run a 21 min 5k before on 10 mi/wk, so there's that.  But my running buddy ran in HS and college, and she's going to make sure we get the speed work in.  We have some local tracks that we're going to be using in order to prep for some of our key April races.

2017-01-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

Tell me about it. This morning was the first time I've worn a shirt on a run since last Friday.

I'm not sure I have enough clothes for what they're predicting here Sunday morning.

It's not going to be that cold!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102