BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-01-26 10:59 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge

Originally posted by Rollergirl  By the way George, I have watched the film you star in. Very good and motivating! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Nathalie - I don't say I starred in the video as much as I was the comic relief.  I am shocked to say I enjoyed the experience.

2018-01-26 11:23 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

My weekend is fairly modest.  I have a 90 minute Indoor Cycling session with about 30 other athletes (it's their company that keeps me spinning through the winter).  Saturday rides are mainly Zn 2 & 3 intensity.  Then if weather permits I'm hoping for a 30 to 50 minute run in a big fluffy snowflake snowfall.  Sunday is my favourite day of the week.  Pancake breakfast, real maple syrup and my recovery day.  I may not win the weight loss challenge because of Sunday.

2018-01-28 8:09 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

, Indiana
Good morning everyone!!! I have not been on for a little while. I had to go to my nephews bachelor party which consisted of several rounds of golf along the gulf coast. As far as training is concerned, well there wasn't much of that going on. I got home last night and I was staring at the scale, afraid to get on it lol I see that today is the start of our weight loss challenge.
Has anyone ever heard of intermittent fasting? I have been reading up about it and I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it.
I will have my weight soon
2018-01-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello all. Had a nice week, culminating with a kind of race this morning. 19 people defied the rain and sleet to run 5 or 10k. Beat my 10k best time by 2 and a half minute without pushing it. Felt great!

Bryan, I have heard of intermittent fasting, it’s was the rage over here a couple of years ago. Supposed to be good for you and make you lose weight without effort.
I tried it, didn’t work for me. I feelt good and it was pretty easy but I didn’t lose any weight.
It works for others though but not for me, and I am not sure how/if it is compatible with training (didn’t train much back then)

For me what did it is the simple equation : burn more than you eat, every day.

Edited by Rollergirl 2018-01-28 9:01 AM
2018-01-28 3:42 PM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by BakerBryan

Good morning everyone!!! I have not been on for a little while. I had to go to my nephews bachelor party which consisted of several rounds of golf along the gulf coast. As far as training is concerned, well there wasn't much of that going on. I got home last night and I was staring at the scale, afraid to get on it lol I see that today is the start of our weight loss challenge.
Has anyone ever heard of intermittent fasting? I have been reading up about it and I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it.
I will have my weight soon

Hi Bryan:

The small amount I've read has fallen more in the range of intermittent fasting in the form of limiting calorie intake to a narrower period during the day. As I understand it (in a very primitive way) is the idea is to restrict eating of meals and snacks to, at most, a 10 hour window during the day. The thought process was that having a 14 hour window of no calorie intake teaches your body to be more efficient at utilizing fat for energy instead of carbs (glucose). The theory is that when a person has this 14 hour non-calorie intake period all short term energy sources are exhausted and your body will, reluctantly, switch to fat...and over time your body becomes more adept at making this switch.

There is an author by the name of Nina Teicholz who has a book out that touches on it a bit (which I have not yet read.) There is another researcher by the name of Dr. Rhonda Patrick that in a proponent of intermittent fasting.

You can get an interesting interview here which touches on this and other subjects.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-panda

There are also some really interesting interviews with her (seven times) on the Joe Rogan podcast, most recently in Dececember. These are really long (3 hours) wide ranging podcasts that are great for a long cross country drive or a long bike ride. Rogan is a bit crude, so be prepared for a few F-bombs and other salty language. But it you can get by that, it's really interesting stuff.

You can get these on the App store or your computer here: http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-rhonda-patrick-7

Steve

2018-01-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN)
Do you have room for 1 more??

Name: Rob

Story: 46 years old, served in the Marines from 91-98 and I’m from Wisconsin. I played outside all year as a kid, lots of swimming & biking - but excelled in high school at cross country & track. I ran a few marathons in my early 20’s including Boston (PR 3:01). Then life happened, married, kids, work, injuries and got fat! So, back in 2012, I jumped into triathalons with a half-iron at Racine, then 2 more in 2013 & 2015 (my race reports are listed on my profile), next I attempted to get back into marathons in 2016 and got to mile 20 and decided I wasn’t going to tear my Achilles and DNF’d- so fast forward to 2018- and I’m all in- Ironman Wisconsin!!!

Family: Married 21years to my college sweetheart, 2 daughters that attend UW-Wisconsin- and finally l’m an empty nester with lots of time time to train. I picked IMWI specifically since the race is basically on the Wisconsin Campus- and gives me a great excuse to go ride the course and see my girls!

Current training; 6 days a week, 10-12 hours- focus on running, biking, weights & core. I’ll be using the Fink Ironfit 30 week training plan (with some tweaks) and a specific focus on HR zones (I use a Garmin watch with a chest strap). Today 1 ran for 90 minutes using Gallaway’s 2 min run and 30 sec walk - really slow 12 min miles but kept my HR at 150 or below, then walked another hour. I’m 32 weeks out and the official training plan starts February 11th - fear is a great motivator ??

2018 Races - all in Wisconsin
April Southshore Half Marathon- Goal sub 2 Hours
May J-Hawk Early Tri (Olympic)
June Toughman (High Cliff Half-Iron)
September 9th- Ironman Wisconsin

Weight Loss: I was 210 on January 1st and am down 8 lbs., looking forward to racing at 170 so 32 lbs. to go.

Limiters: history of chronic injuries, Achilles Tendonitis specifically- worked really hard with my PT on ankle mobility & hip flexors which seems to have paid off- focusing on really builiding up the right way. I’m also putting in daily core work. I’m usually top third in the swim, top half in the bike and blow up on the run- too fat.

I’m looking forward to 2018 and encouraging everyone. I still have lots of questions but have also learned a few things along the way that I’m more than happy to share. I really think that Fink’s Plan combined with Gallaway’s running is great for Gray Guys & Girls.

Thanks Rob

2018-01-28 10:03 PM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Rob, welcome to the group.  This is a really good place to ask your questions.

I saw your inspiration, "Run Fatboy Run" and enjoyed a smile.  I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and relate to the weight issue.

It should be fun following your journey up to your race.  Already looking forward to your race report.

2018-01-28 10:06 PM

, Indiana
Semper Fi Rob!! I was in the 1st Marines 86'-91'
2018-01-29 6:44 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Turner100

Do you have room for 1 more??

Name: Rob

Story: 46 years old, served in the Marines from 91-98 and I’m from Wisconsin. I played outside all year as a kid, lots of swimming & biking - but excelled in high school at cross country & track. I ran a few marathons in my early 20’s including Boston (PR 3:01). Then life happened, married, kids, work, injuries and got fat! So, back in 2012, I jumped into triathalons with a half-iron at Racine, then 2 more in 2013 & 2015 (my race reports are listed on my profile), next I attempted to get back into marathons in 2016 and got to mile 20 and decided I wasn’t going to tear my Achilles and DNF’d- so fast forward to 2018- and I’m all in- Ironman Wisconsin!!!

Family: Married 21years to my college sweetheart, 2 daughters that attend UW-Wisconsin- and finally l’m an empty nester with lots of time time to train. I picked IMWI specifically since the race is basically on the Wisconsin Campus- and gives me a great excuse to go ride the course and see my girls!

Current training; 6 days a week, 10-12 hours- focus on running, biking, weights & core. I’ll be using the Fink Ironfit 30 week training plan (with some tweaks) and a specific focus on HR zones (I use a Garmin watch with a chest strap). Today 1 ran for 90 minutes using Gallaway’s 2 min run and 30 sec walk - really slow 12 min miles but kept my HR at 150 or below, then walked another hour. I’m 32 weeks out and the official training plan starts February 11th - fear is a great motivator ??

2018 Races - all in Wisconsin
April Southshore Half Marathon- Goal sub 2 Hours
May J-Hawk Early Tri (Olympic)
June Toughman (High Cliff Half-Iron)
September 9th- Ironman Wisconsin

Weight Loss: I was 210 on January 1st and am down 8 lbs., looking forward to racing at 170 so 32 lbs. to go.

Limiters: history of chronic injuries, Achilles Tendonitis specifically- worked really hard with my PT on ankle mobility & hip flexors which seems to have paid off- focusing on really builiding up the right way. I’m also putting in daily core work. I’m usually top third in the swim, top half in the bike and blow up on the run- too fat.

I’m looking forward to 2018 and encouraging everyone. I still have lots of questions but have also learned a few things along the way that I’m more than happy to share. I really think that Fink’s Plan combined with Gallaway’s running is great for Gray Guys & Girls.

Thanks Rob

Hey Rob.  Welcome to Gray Guys/Gals!

We have a great group here and we seem to be top heavy in runners!  (With a BQ in your past you're one of those runner types ).

Using a run/walk strategy is an excellent way to proceed.  I encourage every athlete I work with to use a run/walk strategy for their HIM or IM races as well as long runs in training (possibly all runs depending upon the athlete).  On an open run the focus is generally to go fast while on a triathlon run, the paradigm is a bit different - don't slow down.  Run/Walk helps to meet that goal and it helps avoid injury by controlling pace and offering short rest/recovery opportunities.

You have enough experience you undoubtedly know to focus on avoiding injury.  I have a saying, "You can't PR if you don't finish. You can't finish if you don't start, and you can't start if you're sick or injured."  Good call to avoid the injury a couple years ago.  Things might be a LOT different today had you not recognized what was happening.  A LOT of people wouldn't have had the courage to stop.

I'm willing to wager a fairly significant amount that "top third in the swim, top half in the bike and blow up on the run," has absolutely nothing to do with body composition.  I'll leave it at that.  It'll be a good topic of discussion when we get to race time.

Again, welcome.  Everyone here will be happy to answer any questions you might have and provide an endless source of motivation.

Also, we just started a weight loss/workout challenge - our first weigh-in way yesterday.  If you'd like to join us, hop on a scale and jot down your weight.  We will be posting our first progress reports next Sunday.  You can find "the official rules and guidelines" a few posts back.

Glad to have you in the group.

2018-01-29 7:49 AM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by BakerBryan

Good morning everyone!!! I have not been on for a little while. I had to go to my nephews bachelor party which consisted of several rounds of golf along the gulf coast. As far as training is concerned, well there wasn't much of that going on. I got home last night and I was staring at the scale, afraid to get on it lol I see that today is the start of our weight loss challenge. Has anyone ever heard of intermittent fasting? I have been reading up about it and I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it. I will have my weight soon

Hey Bryan,

I think I've probably tried just about every different diet method that's out there - from low-carb diets like Atkins, to full on keto diets, low fat, Paleo, ultra high protein - pretty much if you can dream it up, I have tried it at one point or another.  The thing I have found with "diets" is that they aren't sustainable.  If you want meaningful change, there needs to be a lifestyle change.  Part of that lifestyle change will undoubtedly require a close look at nutrition.  Absent some underlying medical issue, it all comes down to a simple equation:

Calories In - Calories Out = Weight Gain/Loss

"Calories in" should generally be in the form of natural foods by which I mean unprocessed.  Shopping around the perimeter of the store will typically result in fresh food.  Eliminate sugar, eliminate soda or other sugary drinks, eliminate "the white stuff" - milk, white rice, white bread, etc.  Most experts recommend taking in calories within 30-minutes of getting up in the morning to rev your metabolism then grazing through the course of the day with 5-6 small meals rather than a couple of larger meals.

That's sustainable.  It's also harder than it looks.  The experts are generally in agreement that you work up to a lifestyle change.  Begin with the easy things - eliminating the soda, then work on culling out the processed foods, etc.

More often than not, embarking on a "diet" is setting yourself up for frustration and failure, while slowly changing your lifestyle is a pathway to success.

Just my two cents.

2018-01-29 10:49 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I don't think I will lose much weight, but with such a nice coffee mug up for the taking I logged my beginning of the  Gray Gays/Gals Weight Loss Contest last night.

2018-01-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

New user

it's amazing what we do for the "race swag"
I tried another "walk /run" this weekend, but was happy to report that I was able to run my whole 3rd mile without walking. First time since SEPT, when I tore my knee. It's a small victory but I'll take it.
I also gained weight this weekend so my starting weight on Sunday is 151lbs

I forgot that I have an entry already for the Marble Falls Triathlon in July. I've done this before and it's a beautiful course. My entry last year was passed on to this year since I got a concussion about a month prior.
So that's the first race I know I'm committing to, since it's already paid for. It's 1K swim, 23 mile bike and 4.4 mile run (long course but not OLY)

safe training everyone!

2018-01-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
oh I'm in on the weight-loss challenge. I can feel that mug in my newly skinny hand.

Got super fat home with kids in my 40's. Lost a lot on a very low carb/high protein diet. Felt like I could maintain it - but started training so I have to struggle with having control around carbs again. Don't touch any rice, pasta, bread except sprouted, but obviously I just eat too much, because my weight is unchanging.

I'm at 148 and felt great at 135. Doesn't seem like much, but my weight has been steady for a year. Don't lose easily.
Looking forward to the challenge. Give me one more reason to say no to food when I need to.

Mitzi
2018-01-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Regular
I'm in.

Official weigh-in for contest = 181.2 lbs.
Short term goal (summer?) = 170 lbs.
Long term goal (start of 2019 season) 162 lbs.

Long way to go!

2018-01-31 2:59 PM

I just came across this site as I researched triathlons and would love to join this group. Hope I'm not too late.

NAME: Sarah (sb926)

STORY: I enjoy the outdoors but have become way too much of a couch potato. I was on the JV swim team my first two years of high school, and couldn't even do one lap of freestyle when I started. I began running when I joined the Army and was able to run up to 3 miles without stopping, but never got better than a 10 minute mile, and stopped all running by the time I got out with five years of service. I used to do some hiking off & on and did a one week bike tour in Alaska the summer of 2000. I always enjoyed watching triathlons on TV and have had a desire participate in one someday. I think I'm finally ready to proceed.

FAMILY: Never married, but I adopted two sons six years ago. They're now 14 & 19 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been doing about 10 minutes of strength training or HIIT 5-6 days a week the past several months. I started a None to Run program 4 weeks ago and am up to running 2 minutes and walking 30 seconds. I've been to the pool four times this month and have increased to a total of 300 yds, after not swimming since high school. First time I made it 50 yds, I was gassed. I'm on my bike trainer about 20 minutes once or twice a week. For now, I'm just trying to get some basic endurance built up before I start a Sprint training program around the beginning of April. Haven't decided which program it'll be, but I've found several on-line that I'll consider.

GOAL: I signed up for a local mini-Sprint triathlon in mid June. If I enjoy it, I'll look at doing their mini-Olympic triathlon 10 weeks later. And, if I'm hooked, I may consider a half IM next April at the same location. Who knows if I'll throw in a 5K sometime.

WEIGHT LOSS: My weight was a problem even as I joined the military and it's been a challenge off & on ever since. I was way into the obese category a little over two years ago and had lost control of my eating. I found an addictive food eating program (although I don't want to consider myself a food addict) and over the next 20 months, I lost 90 lbs. Now I'm about 10 lbs higher than my low with almost no changes to my food plan and would like to drop back down 5-8 lbs. I think my metabolism's shot, and it will be interesting to see how increasing my exercise will affect the weight.
2018-01-31 3:03 PM
in reply to: sb926

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sb926

I just came across this site as I researched triathlons and would love to join this group. Hope I'm not too late.

STORY: I enjoy the outdoors but have become way too much of a couch potato. I was on the JV swim team my first two years of high school, and couldn't even do one lap of freestyle when I started. I began running when I joined the Army and was able to run up to 3 miles without stopping, but never got better than a 10 minute mile, and stopped all running by the time I got out with five years of service. I used to do some hiking off & on and did a one week bike tour in Alaska the summer of 2000. I always enjoyed watching triathlons on TV and have had a desire participate in one someday. I think I'm finally ready to proceed.

FAMILY: Never married, but I adopted two sons six years ago. They're now 14 & 19 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been doing about 10 minutes of strength training or HIIT 5-6 days a week the past several months. I started a None to Run program 4 weeks ago and am up to running 2 minutes and walking 30 seconds. I've been to the pool four times this month and have increased to a total of 300 yds, after not swimming since high school. First time I made it 50 yds, I was gassed. I'm on my bike trainer about 20 minutes once or twice a week. For now, I'm just trying to get some basic endurance built up before I start a Sprint training program around the beginning of April. Haven't decided which program it'll be, but I've found several on-line that I'll consider.

GOAL: I signed up for a local mini-Sprint triathlon in mid June. If I enjoy it, I'll look at doing their mini-Olympic triathlon 10 weeks later. And, if I'm hooked, I may consider a half IM next April at the same location. Who knows if I'll throw in a 5K sometime.

WEIGHT LOSS: My weight was a problem even as I joined the military and it's been a challenge off & on ever since. I was way into the obese category a little over two years ago and had lost control of my eating. I found an addictive food eating program (although I don't want to consider myself a food addict) and over the next 20 months, I lost 90 lbs. Now I'm about 10 lbs higher than my low with almost no changes to my food plan and would like to drop back down 5-8 lbs. I think my metabolism's shot, and it will be interesting to see how increasing my exercise will affect the weight.

Hi Sara, welcome to the group and good luck with your training!

2018-01-31 3:07 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

FAMILY: Never married, but I adopted two sons six years ago. They're now 14 & 19 years old. CURRENT TRAINING: I've been doing about 10 minutes of strength training or HIIT 5-6 days a week the past several months. I started a None to Run program 4 weeks ago and am up to running 2 minutes and walking 30 seconds. I've been to the pool four times this month and have increased to a total of 300 yds, after not swimming since high school. First time I made it 50 yds, I was gassed. I'm on my bike trainer about 20 minutes once or twice a week. For now, I'm just trying to get some basic endurance built up before I start a Sprint training program around the beginning of April. Haven't decided which program it'll be, but I've found several on-line that I'll consider. GOAL: I signed up for a local mini-Sprint triathlon in mid June. If I enjoy it, I'll look at doing their mini-Olympic triathlon 10 weeks later. And, if I'm hooked, I may consider a half IM next April at the same location. Who knows if I'll throw in a 5K sometime.

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Gray Guys/Gals.  We have a great bunch of people here ranging from just starting out to seasoned veterans with dozens of races of all lengths under their belts.  Everyone will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

We just started a weight-loss/workout challenge last weekend.  If you'd like to participate, hop on the scale and jot down your weight.  Next weekend we will have our first "progress" weigh-in.  You can find more details about the challenge several posts back.

Again, welcome.  I look forward to getting to know you.

2018-01-31 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Welcome to the group Sarah.  You'll find we're a pretty supportive group.

Congrats on adopting the two boys.  It must have been quite an adjustment for all three of you.  But, very impressive.

I wanted to ask you about your races.  Are they pool or open water swims?  Also, about when can you get in your local open water in your area?  

2018-01-31 10:21 PM

User image

Regular

Welcome Sarah.

As Scott noted, this is a great group.
My advice is enjoy the journey. There is so much to learn in triathlon. I honestly believe for us age groupers, Triathlon is a lifestyle rather than a sport. It's much more than just conditioning because there is education and experience to be gained in the equipment, technique, transitions, training load, psychology and even the race day experience. It's just a really fun voyage to begin to embrace the challenge with everything there is to learn and do.

Have fun. Let us know how we can help.

Best,

Steve

2018-01-31 11:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Goal Setting

At this point on the calendar, I imagine most of you have figured out your race schedules for the upcoming year – possibly even registered for one or more of those races.

The question I’d like to pose is, “Have you set a goal?”  I don’t mean something like – “Complete my triathlon.”  I mean a true goal.

Having a goal can be the first step towards achieving excellence.  It can also help you deal with adversity and keep you focused.  Here’s some thoughts on developing specific goals and making sure the goal(s) is/are realized.  Since most of us are participating in the weight-loss challenge, I’ll use weight-loss as an example of goal setting.

First consider what it is that you want to achieve, and then commit to it. Set SMART goals that motivate you then write them down to help make yourself accountable to them.

SMART Goals

A useful way of making goals more powerful is to use the SMART mnemonic:

• S – Specific – What EXACTLY do you want to achieve?  The more specific your description, the more likely you will achieve your goal.  S.M.A.R.T. goal setting recognizes the difference between “I want to lose weight,” and “I want to lose 21 pounds before April 1st.”
  • M – Measurable – Measurable means that you identify precisely what you will see, hear, and feel when you achieve your goal.  It means breaking your goal down into measurable elements. You need objective evidence of progress.  Being happy with your progress isn’t evidence.  Lowering your intake of sugar is evidence.  Eliminating processed food and eating healthy, fresh food is evidence.
  • A – Attainable – Is your goal attainable?  Answering that question requires you to investigate what it will take to achieve your goal.  You weigh time, effort, and cost it will take to achieve your goal against the benefit of achieving your goal.
  • R – Realistic/Relevant – Do you want to lose weight because YOU want to lose weight or because “everyone” says you should lose weight?  If the goal isn’t relevant, if you aren’t doing a goal for YOU, you will likely fail.  Is your goal realistic?  Can you realistically achieve your goal?  A goal of losing 50-pounds in 60-days sounds impressive – but losing 0.83 pounds per day is unsustainable and unhealthy – so probably not realistic.
  • T – Timely – A goal should be grounded within a time frame. With no time frame tied to it there’s no sense of urgency. If you want to lose 10 lbs., when do you want to lose it by? “Someday” won’t work. But if you anchor it within a timeframe, “by April 1st”, then you’ve set your unconscious mind into motion to begin working on the goal.

Using weight-loss as the example, instead of having "I want to lose weight" as a goal, it's more powerful to use a SMART goal – "On April 1st, I will feel stronger and more full of energy at XX lbs. by counting calories, eating smaller, healthier portions and by working out for a minimum of XX minutes four times a week.”

Define the Steps to Your Goal

A goal without a plan is just a wish.  After you have your goal, form a plan and commit to the steps to achieve your goal.  Your plan may have a single step, or it may have multiple steps in the case of more complex goals.  In any case, write the steps down and cross them off as you achieve each step.

Athletic Goals

As your thoughts turn from a weight-loss goal to your athletic goals, there are a couple things to consider.  There are three basic types of athletic goals –

Outcome Goals – Outcome goals revolve around a specific outcome – "I will win a National Championship."  The problem with Outcome goals is you do not have control over everything that goes into an Outcome, for example, you have no control over who you will compete against.  Outcome goals are best used as long-term goals with Process and Performance Goals used as intermediate steps.

Performance Goals – performance goals define a specific standard to be achieved.  “I will complete a 140.6 triathlon in under 12-hours.”  Performance goals are used to set a personal standard so aren’t subject to the performance of others.  However, performance goals can still set you up for disappointment if not used in conjunction with process goals.  If your goal is to complete a 140.6 in under 12-hours, what happens if the weather is extremely hot and humid?  What if there are thunderstorms and heavy rain?  There can still be factors outside your control.

Process Goals – process goals deal with the technique or strategy necessary to perform well.  You have complete control over process goals.  Examples of process goals are:

• Remain aerobic during the swim
  • Begin my nutrition plan within 10-minutes on the bike
  • Maintain a 10:00/mile pace on the run

Process goals can help focus your attention and are very effective in helping to control race day anxiety.

Goal setting isn’t just about determining what you want to achieve but also how you will achieve it (process goals) and how you will measure the achievement (performance goals).

Hope that helps a little bit as you begin to consider goals for the season.

2018-02-01 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Goal Setting
Rollergirl - impressive that you get out there in bad weather. I love suffering and sweating but very wimpy when it comes to cold, bad weather or mud. Would never do one of those muddy, obstacle races.

Welcome Sarah - sounds like you are doing all the right things.

2018-02-02 12:30 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Rollergirl - impressive that you get out there in bad weather. I love suffering and sweating but very wimpy when it comes to cold, bad weather or mud. Would never do one of those muddy, obstacle races.

Thanks, I don’t mind the cold and rain so much, it’s all about wearing the right clothes (although it’s much nicer when it’s dry and mild). I wouldn’t do one of those muddy races either. Getting a little wet on your shoulders is one thing, rolling around in mud.... no thank you!

Thank for words about goals Scott, you sound like my boss .
2018-02-02 6:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

, Indiana
Every year a few family members get together to do one race. The past several years we have always gotten together in Indianapolis for the mini marathon except for this year. We all decided to do a spartan race in Jacksonville the end of April. I thought it would be interesting to try it. I have no expectations except to finish the race in one piece.
2018-02-02 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

At this point on the calendar, I imagine most of you have figured out your race schedules for the upcoming year – possibly even registered for one or more of those races.

The question I’d like to pose is, “Have you set a goal?”  I don’t mean something like – “Complete my triathlon.”  I mean a true goal.

Having a goal can be the first step towards achieving excellence.  It can also help you deal with adversity and keep you focused.  

Goal setting isn’t just about determining what you want to achieve but also how you will achieve it (process goals) and how you will measure the achievement (performance goals).

Hope that helps a little bit as you begin to consider goals for the season.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately.  Goal setting was a big part of the mental training program that I did over the last couple of months.  I have several goals for Gateway in May - all performance related.  Some I still need to refine a bit (finish swim in x:xx time, bike in x:xx time, run in x:xx time) but my main goal has to do with the bike leg.  The course is all flat except for one hill.  It's not a big hill, it's relatively short but steep.  I don't do well on hills .  So my goal is to make it up that hill without having to get off my bike and walk it up.  I'm hoping to get in some solid hill training outside once the weather warms up so that it won't even be an issue.  Also, the super sprint that I'm doing 2 weeks before has some hills on the course so it'll be a good test to see how things will go for Gateway.  

Janet

2018-02-02 12:10 PM

Good morning everyone! I am newish to BeginnerTriathlete, but not really to Triathlon.

Name: Heide Bush

Story: I began doing triathlons in 2014 at the suggestion of my therapist. I have been widowed for 5 years, and in 2014 I was struggling with depression and anxiety. I love to swim, and am okay at biking, but suck at running. He thought it would be a good idea for me to have some activity in my life.

I did my first sprint distance tri on 1/5/14 and out of 89 people, I finished 88th. But I finished

I have since done a couple dozen sprint tri's and 2 olympic tri's.

Family Status: I have 4 kids, ages 28, 23, 17 and 16. The younger 3 still live at home. My 17 year old is a cyclist and for the 4th year will be participating in a 4 day 630 mile ride from Sacramento CA to Orange County CA in May to raise money for fallen law enforcement officers (my husband was a cop who died from duty related illness).

Current training: I just started an Olympic 2x balanced workout through BT.

2018 Goal: I am participating in my first half marathon this Sunday (Surf City). My goal is complete in less than 3 hours. I know that sounds like a lot of time, but I haven't trained the way I should. I also signed up for an Olympic in May in UT and I want to podium.

2018 Planned Races: 2/24 Race on the Base Sprint Relay (I'm swimming)
3/18 Hot Chocolate 5K
4/7 MS Walk 5K
5/19 Sand Hollow UT Olympic

Weight Loss: I started doing the Whole30 (clean eating) in September 2015. By November 2017 I had gone from 269 down to 185. Over the holidays, I went off the clean eating plan, and gained back weight hitting 219. After a month of clean eating, I am down to 215, and my goal is to get to 150. I know it is going to take A LOT of time. But I am willing to work for it.

I would love to have a 'work out buddy' accountability partner for training. Texting, or emailing daily workouts and encouragement.

I am looking forward to being part of this group.

Heide
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9861 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1017 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf