BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

Had a really good week last week despite the scheduling shifts due to weather.  Fell a little short on the swimming (again!) but still went twice just shorter sessions than planned.  Jogging is still coming along, really hammering the bike (almost 5 hours last week).  I am finally starting to see the weight drop a little bit.  I have 3-4 races lined up in Apr/May, then a sprint tri in June.

Welcome back, Juan! 

2018-01-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Nashville, Tennessee
Got a 20 min (1000yd) swim in during lunch today, about all the time I have to get over and back to the office. Anyways, nice to get a swim in since I didn't get one in last week. I got two bikes and two runs in so fell short of my goal to get my swims in.

My goals for this week are one swim, two bike rides and two runs. I've been riding mostly on the trainer so far, not a lot of chance to get out. I got a pair of bike shorts and two pairs of tri shorts for Christmas so the rides haven't been terribly bad so far. I am riding on a women's seat (saddle I guess ) because that's what was on there when I bought it from her. Huge difference in men's and women's saddles? I would imagine yes just for obvious reasons but curious of that's something I should switch out right away? And if so, what are some good low budget ideas for that?

Hope everyone has a great week and keep up the good work.

Eric
2018-01-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Originally posted by EHouse20

Got a 13 min (yea that's what the plan says) run in yesterday. It's been interesting starting this plan since I had been trying to build back up since mid-November. I'm trying to stick to it though and not go over the time limits to start, so that I can gradually work my way up. This is the 16 week Sprint Plan.

Any of you guys doing/done this? What would you do after a short run? Jump rope? Abs?

I'm planning on getting a short swim in today but have to do it during lunchtime, I figured any swim is better than no swim.

Lastly for the day, I have a question about nutrition for a Sprint. I'm guessing most of the nutrition for a shorter race is based on what you take in that week and even the morning of? But do you take in nutrition on the bike for instance in a shorter race? If so, what do you use? And I'm guessing you want to test all of this out in your bike sessions as you go along?

Sorry for all of the questions but I keep thinking of things. Hope everyone has a great Friday and also a great weekend.

Eric

On the plan, I think it depends upon the level at which you are REALLY coming from. Not where you were or where you want to be. As someone else mentioned, that plan really is for someone who is coming from a state of nothing. BUT...one thing I've discovered in the past couple of years as I've been sidelined is that there's a HUGE difference between coming from a couple of months of being lazy in the off season and a couple of years just not really maintaining well at all. If you know you are really not in great shape, it's ok to feel like you're starting slow and work your way up like a newbie. It's also okay to add five minutes if you just aren't being pushed at all!!!

My own experience with sprints and nutrition is that I don't think you need to do anything special. Realistically, you're swimming for 15-20 minutes, biking for 45-60, and running for 30-40. Give or take five or ten minutes on each end...that's 1.5-2 hours of continuous exercise. If you're at the gym for two hours, do you do anything special? *I* don't, except eat something beforehand, hydrate and even then I keep that to a minimum. When tri-training I generally try to eat clean, manage my carbs (meaning, I need them but don't need to overload them), and I tend to lose excess weight and be able to relax and have a beer without counting calories. The night before I will have a fairly boring pasta dish and avoid uncooked foods. The morning of I will have an egg with cheese and a whole grain English muffin. Things that are easy on (and predictable in) my gut but will fuel me. Lots of water available on my bike, and whatever the heck I want after the race!!! Afterwards is when I find I need the nutrition, I'm usually powerfully hungry a few hours later.

Sandi
2018-01-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Well, I completely blew my goals last week...met only the one of prepping for my diet this week. We had terrible weather, there was an attack on a female jogger not far from me, so it was superbly easy to talk myself out of my runs and I had NO time for the pool.

But rather than beat myself up, I'm starting over. No Coors Light penalty for me, I'm off beer/alcohol for a couple of weeks. Just want to kick start a little weight loss, I'm not happy with the way I look or feel. I got out for a run today....not the 30 minutes I was aiming for because I got a late start, but I'm learning to just do short distances rather than not go for a run at all, so I managed a 20 minute run and 10 minutes of walking.

My big challenge and one I really have to figure out a way to address is getting moving early. Since all of my medical drama, I've been super slow in the mornings...I just seem to need a solid hour or two of sitting and sipping tea and doing nothing. That doesn't jive well with getting up and exercising for an hour before work. And I really can't navigate well in the dark, so evening workouts aren't an option...it is/was much easier to ramp up my exercise program in the spring/summer/fall months when there was enough daylight to run/bike after work. At the same time, I've got to find a way past this. My biggest goal this year is to find a way to make my physical activity the norm again, rather than something I easily find an excuse for not doing...I have to find a way to WANT to get up and move again instead of spend the day trying to plan it.

Goals for this week:

1) Starting the diet. Cooking all of my food and not cheating!
2) Three runs, two of which over 30 minutes.
3) One trip to the pool, however long or short.
4) One pilates class.

Sandi
2018-01-22 3:39 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

^^^^^. Sandi, I have the same question! I travel 4-6 days a week now and often only have hotel pools to work in and am researching pool tether systems.

Have you found out much of anything? I think I would be much more likely to swim if I had more flexibility, and if I didn't have to fight other swimmers in the lap lanes. Plus practically speaking, if I could do continuous swimming I'd just be a much stronger swimmer and it is SO hard to do a lot of OWS (or at least enough to become a real distance swimmer in the open water, which is the reason I've stuck with sprints).

Sandi
2018-01-22 4:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Nicole, i think you mentioned you are looking to become a dietician? I’m finding unique ways to pack my own food for multi-day trips and trying to eat healthy and fairly clean. I never have access to a kitchen but usually have a microwave and refrigerator where I stay. Im always open to tasty suggestions if you have any!! This week I have pita and tabouli and sweet potatoes I’m bringing, along with oranges, a grapefruit, almonds and some bars. Oatmeal, applesauce...etc.

I am! I am very early in my studies though, and have never had to/attempted to pack for multi-day trips. Good for you, that is awesome! If I come across stuff that might be helpful/tasty I will let you know! I love to see this!

2018-01-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a busy weekend which didn't end terribly well. Painted my room Friday night and woke up bright and early for masters Saturday morning. Had a pretty tough set but with the meet Sunday we did some meet prep at the end of practice (race pace for the strokes we were doing but a little shorter than our event, starts and finishes).
Finished touching up my room after and it looks super awesome

Sunday I had 2 football games and a swim meet. A little over halfway through the 2nd football game I went up for a ball with too many people and my legs got swept. I fell hard on the ground on my right side and a guy fell with his full body weight on the outside of my left knee. My knee is super swollen (on the inside) and hard to bend. I still went to my meet b/c we didn't have anyone extra for the relays, so I just swam in those (4x100 free and the backstroke in the 200 medley relay). I wasn't sure how it would feel doing flip turns and not knowing how bad it was injured I was nervous. Practiced some turns in the practice lanes and did okay with letting my left leg just kind of slowly drag behind on the turns, and pushed off with my right leg. Raced well (1:08 in the 4x100, I led off...I can't remember my split for the 50 back but I was happy with it), but was happy when it was over.

My ortho squeezed me in today thank god. He thinks I sprained my MCL but I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to make sure nothing is torn. Send positive vibes my way please!
2018-01-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e
My ortho squeezed me in today thank god. He thinks I sprained my MCL but I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to make sure nothing is torn. Send positive vibes my way please!

Fingers crossed! So glad you could get in right away for the MRI to deal with it.

Sandi
2018-01-23 12:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hi all, haven’t had much time to read and post here, sorry, life is getting in the way. Sorry to hear about you knee Nicole, hope it’s not too bad. I can relate to that, I’ve torn the ligaments in both my knees many times. Although a little jealous that you get to play football, I had to give up all of that because of, yes, my knees....

Anyway, goals/training plan for the week
Long slow run Monday. Check!
One swim
One stationary bike
One strength session
10k race on Sunday

That’s only 5, I may squeeze in a 6th workout if I feel enclined (off season, 2 days off a week is fine... If I keep repeating it maybe I will believe it)

Edited by Rollergirl 2018-01-23 12:34 AM
2018-01-23 11:17 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Yikes, take it easy on the knee, Nicole! When you said "2 football games" I figured you were watching the NFL playoffs like I was. A few years back at my last job I played flag football with my co-workers however had to stop after a finger injury ("swan-neck finger" ligament tear, not fun). Considering my job requires a lot of typing I figured it was safer for me stop football. Fortunately I was able to keep swimming and was able to take the splint off a week before my next triathlon that season.

Last night I went for a swim and upped my distance to 750 yards and felt pretty good. Will probably jump up to 1000y next week as I work towards my target of 1500+. This morning I had a doctor appointment before work so I was unable to get in a short run so my goals will be a bit off this week. 

2018-01-23 12:24 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nathalie sounds like you're doing great!  2 days off a week in the offseason is more than reasonable.  Some of us (ahem, Gretchen ) thrive on having more workouts and can keep up with them without going over the top in intensity and hurting themselves.  I am not one of those people, so I'm all about recovery time.

Original Nicole - holy cow on the knee!  Hope it's ok.  Better now than in June or July right?

Mark - rock on with the swim.  Whenever I get that started up (may not be until the fall.....), that's how it's going to be for me too - slow and steady.  I am SO not good with the swim...

Edited by firebert 2018-01-23 12:30 PM

2018-01-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Catching up a bit - on hte topic of Sprint Tri nutrition - I may be in the minority but I'll give my take.  I take in calories for anything I'm wanting to perform at for over say 60 minutes.  I'm not elite so for me that includes Sprint distance races.  I sometimes have a gel before the run, but always have Tailwind (basically watered down gatorade, just for me it's easier on the stomach) while I'm on the bike.  Then I get my water, electros, and easily metabolized calories.  Not for nothing, I take a full 22oz bottle of the stuff on long runs and finish it if my run is over 10 miles.  In an HM I will finish one of those and have a gel or two.  Overkill?  for me not really - when I don't have the calories, I notice a significant drop in performance.  

2018-01-23 12:29 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Updates for me - still just walking, PT exercises daily, and core work every 2-3 days.  Not sure if anyone saw the post in the old thread (I posted after this one was started) but my house is now sold - a whopping 3 days after being on the market, and before we even had Open House, we had offers.  This means life now gets crazy while we pack the whole thing up and get into our next place by March 1st...  This continues to leave no time for a real workout regimen but at least we'll be in the new place March 1 instead of April, so I can start my training back up sooner.

2018-01-23 12:33 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by nicole14e

Fingers crossed! So glad you could get in right away for the MRI to deal with it.

Sandi

x2!!! Fingers crossed!
2018-01-23 12:34 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

Nathalie sounds like you're doing great!  2 days off a week in the offseason is more than reasonable.  Some of us (ahem, Gretchen ) thrive on having more workouts and can keep up with them without going over the top in intensity and hurting themselves.  I am not one of those people, so I'm all about recovery time.

Original Nicole - holy cow on the knee!  Hope it's ok.  Better now than in June or July right?

Mark - rock on with the swim.  Whenever I get that started up (may not be until the fall.....), that's how it's going to be for me too - slow and steady.  I am SO not good with the swim...

Hey!! I resemble that remark!
2018-01-23 12:39 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I got in the pool for the first time since getting my new tattoo. Tri training sure does make getting tats difficult (scheduling two weeks off from the pool!).

It was all pull with the buoy or some super short kick sets, but I managed to eek out 1200yds before my arms gave out. They probably weren't very pretty from the lifeguard's view, but they are done.

Tomorrow is my dr appt to discuss options for my foot. Short of cut it off, I'm open to pretty much anything now. On the phone his nurse said he wants to do a shot (of cortisol or a steroid--I forgot which) and then probably a boot for some length of time. I hate the boot, but I sure am tired of not being able to do anything. We WILL be discussing what forms of training I can continue with.

New tat--this is from right after I got it (hence all the blue ink around). That's my leg, by the way!

Edited by drfoodlove 2018-01-23 12:39 PM

(IMG_1293.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1293.JPG (93KB - 3 downloads)

2018-01-23 12:59 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I got in the pool for the first time since getting my new tattoo. Tri training sure does make getting tats difficult (scheduling two weeks off from the pool!). It was all pull with the buoy or some super short kick sets, but I managed to eek out 1200yds before my arms gave out. They probably weren't very pretty from the lifeguard's view, but they are done. Tomorrow is my dr appt to discuss options for my foot. Short of cut it off, I'm open to pretty much anything now. On the phone his nurse said he wants to do a shot (of cortisol or a steroid--I forgot which) and then probably a boot for some length of time. I hate the boot, but I sure am tired of not being able to do anything. We WILL be discussing what forms of training I can continue with. New tat--this is from right after I got it (hence all the blue ink around). That's my leg, by the way!

That made me spit out my lunch - that was the same language I used with my neurosurgeon when explaining my low back.  LOL  Glad you can get back in the pool.  Ink is cool, too!

2018-01-23 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by nicole14e My ortho squeezed me in today thank god. He thinks I sprained my MCL but I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to make sure nothing is torn. Send positive vibes my way please!
Fingers crossed! So glad you could get in right away for the MRI to deal with it. Sandi
x2!!! Fingers crossed!

+1 or X3 or wherever we are now.  Yikes!

2018-01-23 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Thrashed around on the bike for 70' or so doing a Sufferfest video "Hell Hath No Fury".  That REALLY hurt.  I haven't entered the Pain Cave like that in a while.

2018-01-24 7:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--how'd the MRI come out?

30' on the hand bike today at the gym. Dr appt this afternoon to hear the results of my MRI/hear the plan to move forward.
2018-01-24 8:20 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Fingers crossed for all the MRIs...

2018-01-24 8:47 AM

User image

, Vermont

I got in the pool for the first time since getting my new tattoo. Tri training sure does make getting tats difficult (scheduling two weeks off from the pool!).

It was all pull with the buoy or some super short kick sets, but I managed to eek out 1200yds before my arms gave out. They probably weren't very pretty from the lifeguard's view, but they are done.

Tomorrow is my dr appt to discuss options for my foot. Short of cut it off, I'm open to pretty much anything now. On the phone his nurse said he wants to do a shot (of cortisol or a steroid--I forgot which) and then probably a boot for some length of time. I hate the boot, but I sure am tired of not being able to do anything. We WILL be discussing what forms of training I can continue with.

New tat--this is from right after I got it (hence all the blue ink around). That's my leg, by the way!

It must have felt great to get back in the pool! Good luck on the docs appt today - I hope he can give you some good news.
Awesome tattoo, by the way!!
2018-01-24 8:49 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Updates for me - still just walking, PT exercises daily, and core work every 2-3 days.  Not sure if anyone saw the post in the old thread (I posted after this one was started) but my house is now sold - a whopping 3 days after being on the market, and before we even had Open House, we had offers.  This means life now gets crazy while we pack the whole thing up and get into our next place by March 1st...  This continues to leave no time for a real workout regimen but at least we'll be in the new place March 1 instead of April, so I can start my training back up sooner.

Wow, John, congrats on the quick sell! Take care with the moving to not re-injure anything. You'll be back at it before you know it, and way to stick with doing your PT exercises (I'm so terrible at the homework).
2018-01-24 8:50 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e My ortho squeezed me in today thank god. He thinks I sprained my MCL but I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to make sure nothing is torn. Send positive vibes my way please!
Fingers crossed! So glad you could get in right away for the MRI to deal with it. Sandi
x2!!! Fingers crossed!

+1 or X3 or wherever we are now.  Yikes!

X's 4! What's the word?
2018-01-24 8:53 AM

User image

, Vermont
Got in 30' spin yesterday - trying to stay in zone 4 but haven't been on the bike in a long time so that was tough. Working on the butt callouses...
Today I'm heading to the gym for a 3 mile run and a short swim of 500 yds. I'm determined to not jump up too quickly and toast a shoulder right out of the gate.

Goals for this week are:
2 of each s/b/r and I hope to get a bit more as I'm still in the short, getting-used-to-exercising-consistently phase.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 54832 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14086 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363