BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-07 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Buckshot

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

We have some Manatees that use Zwift, some use TrainerRoad, and some use The Sufferfest.

I believe that all there will allow you to select erg mode to hold a specific wattage during workouts. I think that the TrainerRoad and Sufferfest structured training is pretty darn good.

My coaching group gives us custom structured workouts for Zwift and I use those.  I also participate in group rides and races on Zwift.  Basically, my training plan tells me how long and what wattage for my long rides.  I then calculate a watts/kg range for myself and try to find an appropriate group ride.  It's more entertaining to me to spend 2+ hours with a "group" than by myself. Sometimes they tell jokes like:

Why did the M&M go back to school?

Don't leave us hanging!

2020-01-07 7:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

We have some Manatees that use Zwift, some use TrainerRoad, and some use The Sufferfest.

I believe that all there will allow you to select erg mode to hold a specific wattage during workouts. I think that the TrainerRoad and Sufferfest structured training is pretty darn good.

My coaching group gives us custom structured workouts for Zwift and I use those.  I also participate in group rides and races on Zwift.  Basically, my training plan tells me how long and what wattage for my long rides.  I then calculate a watts/kg range for myself and try to find an appropriate group ride.  It's more entertaining to me to spend 2+ hours with a "group" than by myself. Sometimes they tell jokes like:

Don't leave us hanging!

He wanted to be a Smartie.

2020-01-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

2020-01-07 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

YES! Do the free trials!

2020-01-07 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Don't leave us hanging!

Groan 

2020-01-07 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Don't leave us hanging!

Groan 

I know. That was from a DIRT ride -- Dads Indoor Riding Bikes.  Thus, dad jokes...

2020-01-07 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome, Jason!

Let us know when you are on Zwift and Strava!

Yes welcome!

I've only been to Alaska once but absolutely loved it, so I'm a bit jealous! Are you in one of the "big" cities? I'm also curious about the triathlon scene there as it seems to me the water temperature would make it almost impossible to swim in without dying! Though maybe down in the Ketchikan area... 

2020-01-07 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Thanks, I'll check out the free trial.  I got such a good deal on TrainerRoad before the prices went up and I do like their workouts.  Thanks for the tips.  

2020-01-07 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks, I'll check out the free trial.  I got such a good deal on TrainerRoad before the prices went up and I do like their workouts.  Thanks for the tips.  

I actually really love their podcast!

2020-01-07 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jason, your training log is restricted.  Could you please let is in?

2020-01-07 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jason, your training log is restricted.  Could you please let is in?

Curtis, same thing. Could you please let us in?

2020-01-07 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh, if you time it right, you could your Sufferfest trial over Tour de Sufferlandria (Feb 15-23).  I mean, if you are interested in TdS. Jim and Ann-Marie can tell you more.

2020-01-07 12:24 PM

Welcome, Jason!

Yes welcome!

I've only been to Alaska once but absolutely loved it, so I'm a bit jealous! Are you in one of the "big" cities? I'm also curious about the triathlon scene there as it seems to me the water temperature would make it almost impossible to swim in without dying! Though maybe down in the Ketchikan area... 

I was in Anchorage for 15 years. When I first moved there it was a tiny town to me since I moved there from San Francisco area. After 15 years it became a big(ish) city. I got a new job a year ago and so now have moved to a more rural, small town a couple of hours outside of Anchorage.

As for swims, I have never done open water swims. But I do believe that wetsuits are the standard up here for those. We have several sprints that take place in local high school pools, but a few Olympics and others that use outdoor lakes. If you're really up for a challenge, there is the Alaskaman, Alaska's Extreme Triathlon. This is basically an IM on steroids. The swim is in the ocean down in Seward. Obviously it is really cold, but we also have some of the most extreme tidal changes in the world up here, so they have to schedule the date and start time around a tide where they can take advantage of an incoming tide. Mandatory gear includes bear spray, and you have to have a support team because there are no aid stations on the bike. It's pretty intense.

https://www.extremetris.com/akxtri

2020-01-07 12:46 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by alaskatri

Welcome, Jason!

Yes welcome!

I was in Anchorage for 15 years. When I first moved there it was a tiny town to me since I moved there from San Francisco area. After 15 years it became a big(ish) city. I got a new job a year ago and so now have moved to a more rural, small town a couple of hours outside of Anchorage.

As for swims, I have never done open water swims. But I do believe that wetsuits are the standard up here for those. We have several sprints that take place in local high school pools, but a few Olympics and others that use outdoor lakes. If you're really up for a challenge, there is the Alaskaman, Alaska's Extreme Triathlon. This is basically an IM on steroids. The swim is in the ocean down in Seward. Obviously it is really cold, but we also have some of the most extreme tidal changes in the world up here, so they have to schedule the date and start time around a tide where they can take advantage of an incoming tide. Mandatory gear includes bear spray, and you have to have a support team because there are no aid stations on the bike. It's pretty intense.

https://www.extremetris.com/akxtri

WOW!
2020-01-07 12:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Don't leave us hanging!

So a joke with a bit of a Canadian twist, eh?  Nice.

2020-01-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome to all the new folks!  Please don't feel intimidated or concerned about fitting in - this is a very friendly, considerate group with a range of talents and abilities and specialties (and interests!)  which is what I love about this group.  Plus the ones I've been fortunate enough meet in person have only reinforced this sentiment: good people. 

2020-01-07 12:56 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I looked into Zwift a little over a year ago only to find out that my sensor were all the wrong type for Zwift (have Ant+, need Bluetooth).  I also didn't have the right connection to the screen I wanted to use.  So I stuck with TrainerRoads. I made about 20 custom Workouts on TrainerRoads last year and made good use of the trainer plans for a good portion of my bike training too.  I have got in a rut though.  I got to where all I want to do is two (2) 60 minute Trainer Road Workouts during the week and then a long outdoor ride on the weekend.  I am feeling that 75min, 90 minutes, 2 hr works outs on weekdays is probably the direction I need to go to keep from plateauing but I don't know how the thousand Trainer Road workouts are supposed to be put together.  The low volume, medium volume, high volume options for the preset cycling plans aren't fitting with what I want to do. 

2020-01-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I looked into Zwift a little over a year ago only to find out that my sensor were all the wrong type for Zwift (have Ant+, need Bluetooth).  I also didn't have the right connection to the screen I wanted to use.  So I stuck with TrainerRoads. I made about 20 custom Workouts on TrainerRoads last year and made good use of the trainer plans for a good portion of my bike training too.  I have got in a rut though.  I got to where all I want to do is two (2) 60 minute Trainer Road Workouts during the week and then a long outdoor ride on the weekend.  I am feeling that 75min, 90 minutes, 2 hr works outs on weekdays is probably the direction I need to go to keep from plateauing but I don't know how the thousand Trainer Road workouts are supposed to be put together.  The low volume, medium volume, high volume options for the preset cycling plans aren't fitting with what I want to do. 

I think that they have a new plan builder that might help you out. It sounds cool.  Put in some parameters -- intermediate rider with 6-9 hours a week to train for a tri. My A races are Nationals Oly and Redman HIM. It spits out a plan.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037923191-Plan-Builder-Overview

2020-01-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was in Anchorage for 15 years. When I first moved there it was a tiny town to me since I moved there from San Francisco area....

I lived in the San Francisco Area from 1998-2000.  I did my missionary work there.  We had five Latino congregations there and I got rotating assignments to work in each of them.  I lived in Daly City and commuted to the Mission District every day when I was working in San Francisco.  I also worked north of San Franciso in San Rafael and Petaluma and South in San Mateo and Redwood City.  

2020-01-07 4:55 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

NAME: BlueBoy26 / Curtis

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava (https://https://www.strava.com/athletes/36919506).

STORY: I turn 42 this year, married with three children, and a full miniature hobby farm. We live in the central-eastern part of Oklahoma where we are 2-3 hours from Tulsa, OK,  Fort Smith, Arkansas, Dallas, TX, and Oklahoma City, OK on the North, East, South, West respectively.   I’ve worked at National Oilwell Varco as a pump engineer for 15+ years doing technical sales, product engineering, manufacturing support, and project support.  That time has been an evening split between manufacturing facilities in Tulsa, OK, Marble Falls, TX, and McAlester, OK.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three elementary age daughters that we home school.

CURRENT TRAINING: I took about 6 weeks off after my last race in October and started back into my 2020 training at the end of November.  worked with BSC Multisport for coaching/training plans for my 2018 season and have been self-coached since then. I am building volume right now.

I build a wish list of Races in November and there were about 20 races on it.  I decided to cut the list down to just three.  I am still toying with a few of the triathlons that I cut from the list so everything is subject to change but here is how it stands as of today.

1) USAT Oklahoma State Championship Olympic Triathlon (Rt 66 Triathlon, El Reno, OK) Saturday, June 6, 2020

2) USAT National Championship Olympic Triathlon (Milwaukee, WI) Saturday, August 8, 2020 

3) Redman Triathlon 70.3 (Oklahoma City, OK) Saturday, September 19, 2020

Goals -- I am starting a Youth Running Club this month to do some races in April (parent meeting is tomorrow at 12:30 PM). If all goes well with that I want to do a reprise of that at the end of the summer to gear up some of the local youth to do a kids triathlon or two at the end of the summer.  This goal was inspired by the USAT Foundation. They make grants available to youth Triathlon programs.  I won't be doing a full USAT Foundation youth program or applying for any type of grants but thought that I could still do something to give back to the community even though my set of skills is generally considered exotic and futile in the part of the country I live.     

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I enjoy an active group and look forward to learning from others and following all our Manatees friends on their 2020 endeavors.   I will keep my training log updated and check in regularly even if it is just to say that I have been procrastinating or overwhelmed.  

Hey Curtis!! Good to see you here!! --TS

2020-01-07 5:06 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

2020-01-07 5:07 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Hey all, 

I didn't sleep well Sunday night and ended up with very little sleep. I was dragging all day at work, so in the interest of not injuring myself, I elected to skip my scheduled swim yesterday. No workouts to report this week so far. 

I am curious what everyone is using to track their swims? Most of the fitness trackers out there, that I've tried, are really sad when it comes to swimming. The swimming specific services are great for writing workout (my current favorite is Commit Swimming) but it doesn't do any other activity tracking. I use Google Fit for tracking my walking and enter my swims there manually. At the moment I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my weight. 

So does anyone use a more diversified activity tracker that does swimming well, along with the rest of the data? --Tom

2020-01-07 5:28 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jenstewey

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

Zwift can be used on Apple TV, Janyne can probably speak more to that, Sufferfest can be used on your iOS device and, supposedly soon, Apple TV. Trainer road can be used on your iOS device too, what I’m not sure about is Apple TV.

2020-01-07 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

YES! Do the free trials!

Right now, you can Zwift with your AppleTV. That's what I do.

The Sufferfest is working on an AppleTV version and hope of have it out this quarter. You can use it on an iPad now, if you have one of those.

I'm pretty sure that you can use TrainerRoad just on your phone/tablet.  Computer not necessary.  The TR experts can correct me if I'm wrong.

2020-01-07 5:30 PM

YES! Do the free trials!

I was looking at the differences in these various apps this morning and came across this article that specifically discusses Apple TV use for each of them (at least as of last March):

https://completetri.com/zwift-vs-sufferfest-vs-trainerroad-vs-peloto...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127