2008-01-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1130433

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!
princessamy - 2008-01-03 7:11 AM

Good morning

Last night I was letting my  friend read our post he said I need to make it clear to you all that English is not my primary language. I guess some of my post are not written in the way it would be if it was. English is in fact my 3 or 4 language. so please if I write something and you don't know what I said Ask me to repeat it, I will get some help and repost it.  I read fine  and speak great it the damn write.

Just had  my started my 3 work still very excited about this whole process

No worries, Amy!!!   I can understand everything you are talking about!

2008-01-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Vancouver BC

Oji-Cree would be my first, Germany my second then French and English.

I am not aboriginal in my skin colour but was born  adpoted and raised in northern Canada

2008-01-03 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Good morning everyone!  I'm going to have lots of time this afternoon to work on lots of your nutrition related questions.  Today is a rest day for me.  Well, except for teaching my Spinning class!   Talk to you soon!  Cheers!!!!!
2008-01-03 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1130497

User image

Elite
far northern CA
princessamy - 2008-01-03 7:30 AM

Oji-Cree would be my first, Germany my second then French and English.

I am not aboriginal in my skin colour but was born  adpoted and raised in northern Canada

Wow!  How fantastic!  I wish I could speak something other than English!  You are lucky!  Cheers!!!

2008-01-03 9:46 AM

User image

Vancouver BC

Specking is not the issue it the spelling grammer and puncuation that are killer

Well glad to know it not as bad as he seem last night. looking forward to our lesson for today

2008-01-03 10:20 AM

User image

Amy, you're doing great. If you hadn't said anything, I doubt anyone would have known.

Tracy, I'm looking forward to your responses to the Nutrition questions.

Swimming tonight followed by Spinning.

I think I've got about 8 people at my office who are going to do a Sprint Tri this summer. We've got each other for support.

2008-01-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1130658

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Rodney - 2008-01-03 11:20 AM

I think I've got about 8 people at my office who are going to do a Sprint Tri this summer. We've got each other for support.

That's awesome! Around here it seems like I'm the only that even does regular exercise. I can only discuss this with my co-workers in little bits.

2008-01-03 11:43 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I can identify with the written language part, even though English is my first language folks think it must be my 2nd or 3rd 8).

As for being alone with exercize, I identify there as well. I own 1 of 2 road bikes in my town and when I run people stop their cars to ask if I am ok as obviously the only reason to be jogging along the side of the road is that one's car has broken down somewhere.

Even the children where I live are extremely hesitant to try any new sport. Over the past 2 years since we got our boat we have invited many adults friends, their children and neighbors to come to the lake to learn how to waterski. All of them would rather sit in 100 degree weather and do nothing rather than learn to wateski for free.

I didn't even botther asking them to try windsurfing, snowskiing, cross country skiing, etc.

But, its all good, it is fun to see the expression on their face when I run by in shorts when it is 30 degrees out.

Going hiking with the family today.
2008-01-03 12:20 PM

User image

Virginia
I have luke warm support in my office; however sadly, nobody is up for the same challenge.

Where I worked last year, my boss was the one who got me interested in triathlons. She did several a year, in additon to some half marathons. I would have already run one but had to move last August and it messed with my training and the season basically ended by September.

Did anybody else notice the spike in attendance at the gyms yet? I can't wait for February and the fall-off!

Edited by michaeldhess 2008-01-03 12:20 PM
2008-01-03 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Amy,

I was looking at your training plan and I am wondering why you picked this one. It looks like the sort of a plan that's designed to get a completely inactive person up off the sofa so that they can do a short sprint triathlon. Is this your starting point? You said earlier that you swim like a fish. If this is the case, then limiting yourself to 100m of swimming just because that's what the plan says doesn't make sense to me.

Can you give us an idea of your current fitness level and experience with each event: swimming, biking, and running?

Thanks, Nicole 

2008-01-03 1:12 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Guys!!!  I just got a PM from someone that wants to join our little group.  I think we can handle one more so I told her to come here and introduce herself.  Her name is celena.  (I think I got the spelling right.)  I'll add her to my blog.

I'm gonna eat some lunch (cheese tortellini with pesto sauce and a salad) and get busy with those nutrition comments!  Cheers!!!

2008-01-03 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

If anyone wants to add the cool mentor group list I've got, then insert this text into your goals section:

<p> <table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" border="4" background="http://www.geocities.com/pudlen/old/water3.jpg"><tbody><tr><td align="left"> <br />
<strong><a target="_blank" xhref="../forums/thread-view.asp?tid=98367&amp;posts=10&amp;start=1">Owl Girl's Mentoring Group</a></strong><ul>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=41878">owl_girl </a> </strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=47534">MDHillSlug</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=75802">Baowolf</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=31058">celena</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=74937">mac3116</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=57944">michaeldhess</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=30034">princessamy</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=81653">Rodney</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=72839">ronislye</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=57797">sdbryant </a></strong></li></ul></td></tr></tbody></table></p>

2008-01-03 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1128457

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

sdbryant - 2008-01-02 12:07 PM I just like to eat. A lot. I try to make healthy choices, but the quantity gets out of control. Really, even 25 carrot sticks with half a container of hummus is a little over the top. I need to find healthy foods that make me feel full. And maybe some distractions to try when I get the urge to stuff my face. Also, does anyone have problems eating first thing in the morning? Four days of the week my workouts begin at 5am. I leave the house by 4:45 and nothing sounds appetizing. And if I do eat I need to be careful because I have oh-so-lovely GI issues on the longer runs... By the way, the last couple of days I have REALLY wanted to go eat fast food. But I knew that I would have to put it on my nutrition log and you all would see it. An extra bonus of this support group!

Good job resisting the fast food urge! I know what you mean about eating too much of even healthy foods. That is exactly what I struggle with. It wasn't until about last March when I started keeping a food journal and tracking my calories that I really started to lose weight. I would exercise like crazy, then go home and consume 2000 to 3000 calories of "healthy" food throughout the day, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight. Once I started tracking it and realized how many calories I was eating the mystery was solved :). I limited my calorie intake to about 1400 calories a day and the weight started coming off. Now that I have increased my training I upped that to 1700, but haven't been real good about journaling through the holidays and it's starting to show. Time to get back to it!

There are some great calorie calculators and such on www.my-calorie-counter.com where you can figure out how many calories you should be eating based on your current weight,  activity level, and weight loss or maintenance goals.

Roni

2008-01-03 2:17 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

MMMMM!  Yummy lunch!!!

GENERAL NUTRITION GUIDELINES

• Protein: 12-20% of caloric intake
  • Carbohydrate: 55-65% of caloric intake
  • Fat: 25-30% of caloric intake
  • Water: 2-3 quarts/litres per day

HOW DO I DETERMINE CALORIES?

• 1 gram protein = 4 calories
  • 1 gram carbohydrate = 4 calories
  • 1 gram fat = 9 calories
  • 1 gram alcohol = 7 calories

HOW DO I ESTIMATE MY DAILY CALORIE NEEDS?

• Females Age 19-30 = 2,000 to 2,400
  • Females Age 31-50 = 1,800 to 2,200
  • Females 51+ = 1,600 to 2,200
  • Males Age 19-30 = 2,400 to 3,000
  • Males Age 31-50 = 2,200 to 3,000
  • Males Age 51+ = 2,000 to 2,800
  • Source:  US Dept of Agriculture, 2005

OK.  These are the basics.  Here are a couple of other things to keep in mind:

Carbohydrates are very important for physically active adults.  They provide the main fuel for working muscles.  They are also stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen.  (More on glycogen later.)  If you exercise more than one hour every day, you should be consuming 65% carbohydrates.  If you exercise every other day, you should be at the lower end of the scale (55-60%).

Protein is a surprising nutrient.  Endurance athletes need to be consuming at the higher end of the scale than body builders.  High protein diets are dangerous.  First, they rob the body of that all important carbohydrate and, second, excess protein can lead to dehydration and excess stress to the liver and kidneys.

We all need a little fat in our diets.  It provides energy for low intensity exercise.  It is also necessary for some vitamins.  Choose low fat or no fat options when you can.  Avoid trans-fats like the plague!

Here is an interesting tidbit of information from the "ACE Personal Trainer Manual, third edition".

• The body has total glycogen stores (both liver and muscles) equal to about 2,500 calories
  • Each pound of body fat equals about 3,500 calories
  • An athlete weighing 163 pounds (74 kg) with 10% body fat has 16.3 pounds (7.4 kg) of fat which equals 57,000 calories!!!!

Ponder that for a little while!!!!!

This is just some general stuff.  If you think you have some special needs, it would be best to find a Registered Dietician (RD) who is familiar with endurance sports.

Everyone should keep a food journal for at least one week.  Be honest with yourself.  If you eat fast food during that week, write it down.  If you only eat salad, write it down.  A food journal will show you where you need some assistance.

OK.  On to some of your individual questions!

2008-01-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1128298

User image

Elite
far northern CA

princessamy - 2008-01-02 10:18 AM   I  have biggest issue at like 2 am and I wake up starving and eat  whatever I can get my hands on and go back to bed.  There are not a lot of bad choices in my house but the amount I eat of anything at this time is bad. Since I am still at the very early stage of training and no where close to racing I am worried this going to get worse not better

Mac and Amy have a problem with waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs.  Mac, good for you for keeping healthy snacks around for late night noshing!  Yes, Amy.  You are going to need more food as you exercise longer.

Have you guys examined why you wake up?  It may be as simple as an uncomfortable bed, the need for a new pillow, too warm, too cold, the dog scratching all night or the cat sleeping on your head.  Some medications can make you restless.  Too much alcohol can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night.  Caffeine and sweets before bed could be the culprit.

How long before bed do you have your last meal or snack?  When do you exercise in relation to when you go to bed?

Until you figure out the cause, keep low calorie snacks close and drink water.

2008-01-03 2:34 PM

User image

Vancouver BC

I can swim yes but I have never run or biked at all in my adult life.

my fitness level is just ok to poor depending on who we are comparing too.

I read plans and picked this one cuase of just getting out of the cast for the 4 time in 6 months

and cuase it seem do able like I be ready to do one race and see how it felt

The swim is driving my nuts , and the bike last night felt fast but my feels it today

I not tried running yet and don't think I should for a bit yet  although my leg was never hurt jsut was told take it easy for a weeks cuase it was not moble 8 of last 26 weeks.

if in Feburay i still feeling like it might be wrong I will change it

2008-01-03 2:45 PM

User image

Vancouver BC

Mac and Amy have a problem with waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs.  Mac, good for you for keeping healthy snacks around for late night noshing!  Yes, Amy.  You are going to need more food as you exercise longer.

Have you guys examined why you wake up?  It may be as simple as an uncomfortable bed, the need for a new pillow, too warm, too cold, the dog scratching all night or the cat sleeping on your head.  Some medications can make you restless.  Too much alcohol can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night.  Caffeine and sweets before bed could be the culprit.

How long before bed do you have your last meal or snack?  When do you exercise in relation to when you go to bed?

Until you figure out the cause, keep low calorie snacks close and drink water.

I eat last snack at  at about 7pm in bed by 10. My stomach is growling  is what normally wakes me up. I know it not all in my head cause when my friend spends the nite he has woke me up before cuase it so loud. I do take my meds right before bed but that just the pill and a vitiam.  I like to be done working out by the time i get off work. 

2008-01-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1128342

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-01-02 10:34 AM

owl_girl - 2008-01-02 11:43 AM Over the next couple of days, lets talk nutrition. What kind of questions does everyone have?

Since I started triathlon training back at the end of 2006 I've gained something like 10 pounds. Some of it might be attributed to an increase in muscle mass but I doubt it all is. I have a tendency to snack, but I eat pretty well.  Still, I can't seem to lose any weight. I'm 5'5" and about 158#, with a body fat constitution of about 25%, so I think there's room for healthy weight loss. I'd really like to lose about 10 pounds.

My biggest issues directly related to exercise, training, and racing are past problems with leg cramping following long, strenuous bike rides and triathlon runs and concerns about proper calorie intake during rides and triathlons.

Nicole, I'm so glad you brought up the body fat issue.  Too many people are fixated on the scale.  Body fat percentage is a great way to assess your ideal weight.  The most cost effective and pretty darn accurate way to get this done is to find a Personal Trainer who uses calipers.  (Make sure you use the same Personal Trainer every time they figure your body fat.)

GENERAL BODY FAT PERCENTAGE CATEGORIES

• Women Essential fat = 10-13%
  • Women Athletes = 14-20%
  • Women Fitness = 21-24%
  • Women Average = 25-31%
  • Women Obese = 32% and above
  • Men Essential fat = 2-5%
  • Men Athletes = 6-13%
  • Men Fitness = 14-17%
  • Men Average = 18-24%
  • Men Obese = 25% and above

This is an easy calculation.  Let me know if you would like the formula.

Your leg cramps could be due to dehydration during the bike ride or lack of doing brick workouts.  Remember to drink 4 to 8 ounces of water every 10 to 15 minutes during exercise.  Sports drinks should be used if your workout will be lasting longer than one hour.  More on this later.

2008-01-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1131496

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
princessamy - 2008-01-03 3:34 PM

I read plans and picked this one cuase of just getting out of the cast for the 4 time in 6 months

The swim is driving my nuts , and the bike last night felt fast but my feels it today

I not tried running yet and don't think I should for a bit yet although my leg was never hurt jsut was told take it easy for a weeks cuase it was not moble 8 of last 26 weeks.

After months in a cast your leg is bound to be weaker than the other one. I certainly understand why you want to take it easy with your leg, especially with the running. However, if you can swim, and you enjoy swimming, you should swim! It will improve your cardiovascular function which will aid in your biking and running training. 100m of swimming is hardly worth getting wet.

2008-01-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1128457

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-01-02 11:07 AM I just like to eat. A lot. I try to make healthy choices, but the quantity gets out of control. Really, even 25 carrot sticks with half a container of hummus is a little over the top. I need to find healthy foods that make me feel full. And maybe some distractions to try when I get the urge to stuff my face. Also, does anyone have problems eating first thing in the morning? Four days of the week my workouts begin at 5am. I leave the house by 4:45 and nothing sounds appetizing. And if I do eat I need to be careful because I have oh-so-lovely GI issues on the longer runs... By the way, the last couple of days I have REALLY wanted to go eat fast food. But I knew that I would have to put it on my nutrition log and you all would see it. An extra bonus of this support group!

Sarah, it sounds like the food log needs to be your best friend for awhile!   Seriously, you'll be amazed and shocked by what you find out about yourself.

I have a problem with eating in the morning, too.  I have to force myself to eat breakfast.  Oatmeal is the thing that gets me by with the least amount of GI trouble.  Breakfast is very important.  Don't skimp on it.  As for an early morning workout, take a granola bar with you on your way to the gym.  Drink some fruit juice before you leave the house.  Those things will get you through your workout.  After your workout, be sure to eat within a half hour.  You should have a snack that includes both protein and carbohydrates.  Peanut butter on whole grain bread is a classic example that travels well.  (Unless your allergic to peanuts! )

2008-01-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1131552

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-01-03 12:51 PM
princessamy - 2008-01-03 3:34 PM

I not tried running yet and don't think I should for a bit yet although my leg was never hurt jsut was told take it easy for a weeks cuase it was not moble 8 of last 26 weeks.

After months in a cast your leg is bound to be weaker than the other one. I certainly understand why you want to take it easy with your leg, especially with the running. However, if you can swim, and you enjoy swimming, you should swim! It will improve your cardiovascular function which will aid in your biking and running training. 100m of swimming is hardly worth getting wet.

Ask your doctor about deep water running, too.

2008-01-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1128517

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Rodney - 2008-01-02 11:22 AM

Regarding nutrition, I'd like to know why I can't eat five Crunchy Tacos from Taco Bell then go swim half a mile without feeling nauseas.

Seriously though, I'd like to learn a little more about science of nutrition. When and what to eat before a race, what to eat after a race, what to eat during a race, etc. Right now I live off Gu during a race along with water.

Has anyone tried the drink FRS?

On an interesting note, I run with the Nike + system and it tells me how many calories I burn during a run. I came home after a short 3 mile run to find my 13 year old daughter and her friends complaining about being "fat" (neither of them are)  while scarfing down Pop Tarts. I looked at the box and found out 1 Pop Tart has 200 calories, about what I burn in a mile run (according to Nike +). When I told them how far they had to run to burn off that Pop Tart, they stopped eating them.

Very funny about your daughter and her friends!!!

Didn't your mama tell you not to eat and then go jump in the pool!!!   Seriously, the nausea you experience is due to the blood being shunted from your gut (where it is trying to digest food) and go to your working muscles.  That food just sits there.  Ugh!

Sounds like you have some race related nutrition questions.  Here is a little bit and then I'll delve into this a bit more later.  Great question!

First of all, you need to figure out what your body can handle, food-wise, before you try it in a race.  (My body loves eating pizza the night before a race or big workout.  (My friends think it's crazy, but it works.)  Sometimes it takes a little while to figure it out.  Temperature and humidity can play a role in what your body tolerates.  (My body has decided that Gu with caffeine is the devil incarnate when it is hot!  I get the worst cramps!  Other people swear by it!)  You definitely should find out what sports drink is being served in the races you plan on doing.  You will have lots of time to get your body used to it during training.  If your body just can't tolerate it, then you know to bring something of your own.

I've never tried FRS.

I never trust those estimated calorie things.  As a general rule for running, you will burn 100 calories per mile.  It doesn't matter how fast or slow you do the mile.  I'm not sure about biking or swimming.

2008-01-03 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

OK.  That was a lot of information.  Lets talk about long duration workout nutrition and race nutrition over the weekend.

What type of sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. has everyone tried?

2008-01-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1130658

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Rodney - 2008-01-03 8:20 AM

Amy, you're doing great. If you hadn't said anything, I doubt anyone would have known.

Tracy, I'm looking forward to your responses to the Nutrition questions.

Swimming tonight followed by Spinning.

I think I've got about 8 people at my office who are going to do a Sprint Tri this summer. We've got each other for support.

That's pretty awesome that you have so many active people around you!  You guys should do a short workout during lunch together!

2008-01-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1131678

User image

Vancouver BC

What type of sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. has everyone tried?

0 nothing not a one  not even Gatoraid althought i do buy that for my son during lasscrosse season and when he running track 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40