BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-25 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Roni, great job out there.  Tough conditions, but you were tougher.  Now, on to Boise!  You will ROCK!

Steve, those pics are awesome.  What an incredible journey you are having.

Happy Memorial Day!

2009-05-25 8:02 AM

User image

Is there an updated group table?  I know I am missing some people on the table I have, but can not seem to find the latest one (only 86 pages to flip through).  And being as non-technical as they come I can not seem to figure out how to update it myself.
Thanks
2009-05-25 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice job Roni!! Looking forward to the Onion Report this today.
Doug, man with your times, you'll smoke your 1st Tri regardless of length. Once you get that first one done, you want to do one every week.
Going to be a quiet day today at work with all you US of A'ers on holiday. Was nice this morning as I usualyy can only swim for 30 minutes. With the US holiday, I swam for an hour got in 2k which felt great. Going for a good run shortly, and meeting up with a friend who did his 1st tri yesterday.
2009-05-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2171495

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Havin'Fun - 2009-05-25 8:02 AM Is there an updated group table?  I know I am missing some people on the table I have, but can not seem to find the latest one (only 86 pages to flip through).  And being as non-technical as they come I can not seem to figure out how to update it myself.
Thanks

Since I came in late, I tried to go through the pages and made up the following list. I hope I left no one out and please excuse any misspellings. I suck at typing (and reading my own handwriting):

Swbkrun: Steve
JHagerman: Jeremy
TrevorC: Trevor
Cadmus: Matt
Dalessit: Tony
KT65: Kim
SSMinnow: Suzy
tahrens: Tracy
KauaiShan: Shannon
trying1: Stan
Havin'Fun: Linda
HollyW: Holly
PlainsmnaAU: Barry
Redknight: Rob
bthpaultx: Beth
ShawnR: Shawn
Roni RunnW: Roni
Isrealg48: Izzy
cbarnes1: Chet
ashort33: Andy
ABrunner: Adam
Kpray: Kerry
Jeepguy2358: Chris
soccermom15: Janet
jford2309: James
Wes Mantooth: Josh
Big Reub: Reuben
brownnugen: Nick
Fattyfatfat: John
Smoore3: Sarah
Gadgetlaw: Karen (What does that name mean?Laughing)
DougRob: Doug

2009-05-25 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Excellent first race of the season Roni.

Lots of strength training for me this weekend building stuff.

Edited by Redknight 2009-05-25 12:33 PM
2009-05-25 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Great job, Roni!  

Doug, we can't wait for your first tri, you are going to do great!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day everyone!  

This is our last day on vacation  Heading back tomorrow morning but will be happy to get back to our dog and cat.  

2009-05-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2171832

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hello everyone, just got back from my quick vacation.  Wife and I took out biked up with us and got a nice 45 mile ride in.  6200ft. of climbing in that 45 miles.  Great workout but a bit rough on the legs.

Will try to catch back up with everyone.
2009-05-25 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I'm BORED!!! Darn US holidays....no one to talk to today! Work is so slow.
2009-05-25 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2171495

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Havin'Fun - 2009-05-25 8:02 AM Is there an updated group table?  I know I am missing some people on the table I have, but can not seem to find the latest one (only 86 pages to flip through).  And being as non-technical as they come I can not seem to figure out how to update it myself.
Thanks

This is what I have.  I have added a couple of folks to it, but Jeremy is the man!  Room for a couple of more in the bottow row. 

-Andy

swbkruntahrenscadmus
Israelg48gadgetlawHollyW
ashort33kt65SSMinnow
roni_runnwsoccermom15TrevorC
BigReubfattyfatfatHavin'Fun
dalessit JHagermanRedKnight
KauaiShancbarnes1DougRob
Plainsman AUABRunnertrying1
JeepGuy2358BlankBlank

Mentor Thread

2009-05-25 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey team "Tri - athletes" just completed my 5K run. I squeaked in under 25 minutes. Thank g the last 200 m was a slight downhill run. That along with the new socks must have really improved my speed

Edited by Redknight 2009-05-25 6:36 PM
2009-05-25 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2172061

User image

ashort33 - 2009-05-25 5:58 PM

Thanks

This is what I have.  I have added a couple of folks to it, but Jeremy is the man!  Room for a couple of more in the bottow row. 

-Andy

swbkruntahrenscadmus
Israelg48gadgetlawHollyW
ashort33kt65SSMinnow
roni_runnwsoccermom15TrevorC
BigReubfattyfatfatHavin'Fun
dalessit JHagermanRedKnight
KauaiShancbarnes1DougRob
Plainsman AUABRunnertrying1
JeepGuy2358BlankBlank

Mentor Thread

Thanks Andy!  Now I need a little more help.  I was checking on my teammate Barry (Go Deuce) and was a little suprised to see that he wears many hats - "mom, wife, recovering attorney, aspiring triathlete, and horrible cook".  Then I realized I have somehow linked him (Barry) and Chris to Shannon's page.   I told you I am very non-technical.   Can anyone help me fix this?  Looking at the codes I am thinking I have linked their #'s, but do not know where to find someone's #. 
Thanks

2009-05-25 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roni, great job on a brutal course!  How are you feeling?  any soreness?

Doug, you're FAST..  I agree with Trevor,  your first tri should be a breeze with the times you're posting.  

I'm probably going to post the rest of my times on wed or thurs.  I may re-due my swim as well.  the times that people are posting makes me want to go faster! 
2009-05-25 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2172197

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I found them by looking at the web address when I was on someone's logs.  Not sure if there is another way.  I then edited the table in the HTML editor by replacing the name with the name I wanted and the user id with the one for the person I was adding.  Pretty simple to duplicated.  I am the master of cut and paste!

2009-05-25 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Sounds like some peeps have had a good weekend!  Congrats Roni!

I've enjoyed the weekend, did a practice run (reverse) with complete distances for my first outdoor tri this year.  Felt good, feel more confident about the swim, but still not like a fish.  But if I put out an 8 minute swim I can still easily break an hour! 

Hope every enjoys Memorial Day.  Thank someone you know who has served.
2009-05-25 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend...(sorry to exclude you Canadians).  We just got back home from a weekend at the lake.  I managed to get in two OWS's and a 4 mile run this morning.  Tough run this morning,  could be the diet that I was on this weekend

Looks like some people are getting in some nice times on our competition.  I have got to get my butt in gear.  I am dreading the TT run.  Most of my runs seem to be in zone 2 or 3, and I know a TT will have to push the uncomfortable zone.  Am I ready to go there?  I guess so.  I know I was not built for speed.  Maybe endurance or distance, but definitely not speed.

2009-05-25 8:56 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

OK, goofy question.  I have my first 60 mi ride coming up this weekend.  I have done 40 a couple of times and usually end up a little chaffed.  What if anything do you all use to avoid the chafing and at what distance do you all start using it?  I see all sorts of advertisements in Bicycling magazine for creams and butters, etc.

2009-05-25 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
I've used BodyGlide for a while now and it protects well.  Good note: Put it on yourself in the obvious area's, but also rub it on your tri/bike shorts in the crotch, especially over the seams... this will spare you much grief over the following days!

HammerNutrition also makes a riding cream.
2009-05-25 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

X 2 on the Body Glide.  I also carry chapstick and use for any unexpected chaffing (works great on nipples )

Did the challenge today and have my times posted.  I had a lot of fun on a warm Memorial Day weekend at Lake Mead.  Ton of people out, made it feel like a real race.  Chet

2009-05-26 2:39 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Looking over the times that have been posted, I am determined to up my swimming. I ope to get to the big pool near me when I return to the US so I can give it another go.

I went for a 5-6K walk along the Iser river when I arrived in Munich. I could feel my left hamstring was tight from the run and my left Achilles was sore. I know, at least for this year, that I wont approach that run time in a real tri.  I carefully selected the location, waited until I was well rested and did not swim and bike beofre hand. I am hoping to break 1:20 for my first tri. I am sure my transitions will be less than ideal.

Doing the virtual tri has helped give me a sort of bench mark in the individual areas. I think I can use this a tool in my training as I compare individual workouts to these results. It also gives me a window to what is possible. Thanks for coming up with the idea. I need to go and look for your race reports, but I have to teach a class in 20 minutes. It is 9:40 in the morning here and I have a full work day ahead of me here.
2009-05-26 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Hey everyone~  I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.  Unfortunately I spent the entire weekend working.  Although being a golf professional sounds pretty cool, the hours kind of suck.  (All weekends and holidays - other than Christmas).  Forgive me as I am way behind here, but just a few quick belated congrats: 

Roni:  Great job on your first olympic - and from what I read, a really hard one at that!

RedKnight:  Congrats on your 5K time.  That is awesome.  I am looking to break the 25 min mark.  I don't know what Rob is thinking doing it in 19m!  I came as close as I have so far at my first tri doing a 10K in 51m.

Rob:  Since I won't be able to check in until Sunday or Monday and I can't remember the exact date, best of luck in your race.  From the way it sounds, you will rock it out! 

All considering, my training has been going pretty well.  I still have my achilles issue, but to a much lesser degree and I am getting the itch back again.  After my race in April and my achilles problems, I kind of lost my desire, but am now getting it back.  I think it was the 40 mph I hit going down a hill in my aerobars on my last few rides and getting my running legs back under me.  My swims have been a non issue.  I just want to get faster.  I did 2500 in 40m yesterday, but really want to get my HIM time 30m or less. 

I'm heading out next Monday to get some new running shoes.  - Neutral ones.  Anyone have any they would recommend?  I am going to get them fitted for me, but did not know what everyone else is wearing.  I am thinking Mizuno.  Anyone racing this weekend?
2009-05-26 7:31 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Chris:  I feel your pain regarding your profession. My neighborhood is on a TPC course tht is hosting its annual Rex Open right now. I hadn't really figured the work for the pros, but boy do the grounds crews have to work their butts off around this thing! And if the weather is challanging fuggedaboudit! You really have a catch 22, you don't have to work if it rains, but then you can't train all that well either.

Glad to hear the itch has returned.

2009-05-26 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2172395

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ashort33 - 2009-05-25 9:56 PM

OK, goofy question.  I have my first 60 mi ride coming up this weekend.  I have done 40 a couple of times and usually end up a little chaffed.  What if anything do you all use to avoid the chafing and at what distance do you all start using it?  I see all sorts of advertisements in Bicycling magazine for creams and butters, etc.

This is what I use
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=21231&item=20-2485&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

Funny thread on Bikeforums on Assos Cream and similar products, people talk about only putting it on for 50+ mile rides and eventually putting it on to ride down the street to the store because they get addicted to it.

Chris, as far as shoes I would make sure you go to someplace that knows what they are doing with regard to shoes.  I know I wear a neutral shoe but they gave me 3-4 pairs in that category to try out but I only really liked one of them, Some had too wide a toe-box, some had arches that seemed too high, etc.  I ended up going with the NewBalance over the Brooks I was wearing before, the new Glycerine's just didn't fit like last years did.

Pro's at every club I was a member of always seemed to work their A$$ off either running the pro-shop, doing lessons, setting up for tournaments, etc.  Seemed to rarely ever have time to actually play.  I know that feeling finally got to a single digit handicap, my wife and I used to play 4-5 times a week now before we had kids.  Then with kids we might not even play 4-5 times a year, all memberships gone because we wern't using them.

2009-05-26 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Welcome back everyone.  Didn't do much training this weekend.  Looking forward to jumping in with both feet this week. 

Barry, I hear you about not being a natural sprinter.  I tell myself the farther the distance the slower I am allowed to go....therefore I REALLY like long distances if you get my meaning Wink

Rob, great job on that 5K.  I guess falling off all the equipment at the gym has really paid off.

I too use Body Glide. Love it.

Suzy, (or anyone else really) have any of your trainers ever mentioned homocysteine levels to you?  In a nut shell cysteine is an amino acid that is being analyzed for its effects on the heart, as compared to cholesterol levels.  My chiro/nutrionist said that if I am starting marathon and IM training he recommended a diet high in B complex to reduce the excess homocysteine levels that will occur as a result of the training.  He sighted some examples of Boston qualifiers he knew that died of their cysteine levels.  It may have been a coincidence, but I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone knew anyting about it.  I've followed his nutritional advise on other matters and have noticed an improvement. 

2009-05-26 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2172888

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-05-26 9:14 AM

Welcome back everyone.  Didn't do much training this weekend.  Looking forward to jumping in with both feet this week. 

Barry, I hear you about not being a natural sprinter.  I tell myself the farther the distance the slower I am allowed to go....therefore I REALLY like long distances if you get my meaning Wink

Rob, great job on that 5K.  I guess falling off all the equipment at the gym has really paid off.

I too use Body Glide. Love it.

Suzy, (or anyone else really) have any of your trainers ever mentioned homocysteine levels to you?  In a nut shell cysteine is an amino acid that is being analyzed for its effects on the heart, as compared to cholesterol levels.  My chiro/nutrionist said that if I am starting marathon and IM training he recommended a diet high in B complex to reduce the excess homocysteine levels that will occur as a result of the training.  He sighted some examples of Boston qualifiers he knew that died of their cysteine levels.  It may have been a coincidence, but I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone knew anyting about it.  I've followed his nutritional advise on other matters and have noticed an improvement. 

Hey Tracy--you can actually have your homocysteine levels checked at your doctor's office with a blood test.  Do it the same time you get your cholesterol checked.  Homo doesn't change much so often times one is enough.  My FIL had bypass surgery and we were perplexed why needed it since his cholesterol levels were good, but it was the homo levels that got him.  Often times inflammation occurs when training levels are high, but that is usually good old coritsol causing the issue.  To combat that, I eat a lot of greens (and juice them) and take chlorophyl, cumin and amino acid supplements.  Probably more than you wanted to know, but if my cortisol levels are high my adrenals are compromised and my training suffers.

I have officially have all my times in for the virtual tri contest.  I was hoping to better my run time, but with the month running out, I may hold with what I have. Sorry team #4, not my best effort. 

With all the talk about swimming (thanks Doug!) I feel like I better high tail it to the pool to get started.  It takes me twice as long as most of you to do the same distance!

Make it a good day!
Suzy
2009-05-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2172478

User image

Champion
marietta
cbarnes1 - 2009-05-25 9:54 PM

X 2 on the Body Glide.  I also carry chapstick and use for any unexpected chaffing (works great on nipples )

Did the challenge today and have my times posted.  I had a lot of fun on a warm Memorial Day weekend at Lake Mead.  Ton of people out, made it feel like a real race.  Chet

AWESOME JOB!  Those are some good times!  DEUCE!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383