BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-03-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED

Morning all!  Recovery week of training for me...yippeee!  I am proud of myself for keeping my training on track last week, given the stress of the school events.  Funeral is tomorrow so I anticipate another tough day.

So, I may have another new running buddy!  My daughters are dog magnets and if there is a stray within a two mile radius, they'll find it.  Well, they found yet another one yesterday.  I was ready to call Animal Control but then I saw him.  Big brown eyes, huge floppy ears and very similar in appearance to my best running buddy, Hairy Potter, that died from cancer a year ago February at the age of 10.  He appears to be a rhodesian ridgeback mix of some sort, just like Potter.  We may be keeping him. I'm showing my students a pic of him in class today to see if anyone knows of an owner.  If not...I'm thinking he may be ours. My other dog Lola loves him...a new playmate!  I'm just worried about the size of his paws...they are huge!  He may be a biiiiiig boy!

2011-03-14 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3396879

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-14 8:52 AM

Morning all!  Recovery week of training for me...yippeee!  I am proud of myself for keeping my training on track last week, given the stress of the school events.  Funeral is tomorrow so I anticipate another tough day.

So, I may have another new running buddy!  My daughters are dog magnets and if there is a stray within a two mile radius, they'll find it.  Well, they found yet another one yesterday.  I was ready to call Animal Control but then I saw him.  Big brown eyes, huge floppy ears and very similar in appearance to my best running buddy, Hairy Potter, that died from cancer a year ago February at the age of 10.  He appears to be a rhodesian ridgeback mix of some sort, just like Potter.  We may be keeping him. I'm showing my students a pic of him in class today to see if anyone knows of an owner.  If not...I'm thinking he may be ours. My other dog Lola loves him...a new playmate!  I'm just worried about the size of his paws...they are huge!  He may be a biiiiiig boy!

My dog is a R.R Mix too!  Can you share a pic of him??  Sounds adorable! Dogs are by far the best running buddy you can have IMO.  Good luck with him!
2011-03-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3396727

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Triathlynne - 2011-03-14 10:56 AM

stephsprint - 2011-03-14 6:13 AM Just posting to get us back to the top. How was everybody's weekend?

Good morning and Happy Monday. It was ok. Rained far too much. Still trying to get in the swing of things and the spring forward didn't help. Got an extremely good workout in yesterday though and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week. I've been eating horribly and I gained about 8lbs recently, not happy so changing my eating habits today! Giving away most of the goodies I brought back from Scotland as I just sit and eat, eat and eat.

How about you Steph? How was your weekend? What's on tap for the rest of your week (and everyone elses)

It was good, thanks. I finally have my spin bike and rower where I want them in the apt. Had a good spin yesterday, played 18 holes early. Had all the sliders open all weekend as it was EXTRAORDINARILY Beautiful in Miami.

This week, as soon as I can get to the running store and get some inserts...I'm going to be running again and I'm very excited about that. I need to drop another 15 or 20lbs and I'm hoping it happens over the next couple of months with increased training.

Recipe for GmrGrl

Ingredients In Roasted Red Pepper Hummus:

1 15 ounce can of Chickpeas (also called Garbanzo Beans). Bonus points for Organic

2 Heaping Tablespoons of Tahini

1/2 Cup of Roasted Red Pepper strips. (Either jarred or roasted on your grill or in your oven)

1/3 Cup of Water

2 Garlic Cloves

1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil (Flax Seed Oil is a higher nutrient alternative)

1 Lemon (for the juice)

1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt. (If you haven't made the shift to Sea Salt, please do so)

1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin
2011-03-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3396965

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
stephsprint - 2011-03-14 9:32 AM
Triathlynne - 2011-03-14 10:56 AM
stephsprint - 2011-03-14 6:13 AM Just posting to get us back to the top. How was everybody's weekend?

Good morning and Happy Monday. It was ok. Rained far too much. Still trying to get in the swing of things and the spring forward didn't help. Got an extremely good workout in yesterday though and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week. I've been eating horribly and I gained about 8lbs recently, not happy so changing my eating habits today! Giving away most of the goodies I brought back from Scotland as I just sit and eat, eat and eat.

How about you Steph? How was your weekend? What's on tap for the rest of your week (and everyone elses)
It was good, thanks. I finally have my spin bike and rower where I want them in the apt. Had a good spin yesterday, played 18 holes early. Had all the sliders open all weekend as it was EXTRAORDINARILY Beautiful in Miami. This week, as soon as I can get to the running store and get some inserts...I'm going to be running again and I'm very excited about that. I need to drop another 15 or 20lbs and I'm hoping it happens over the next couple of months with increased training. Recipe for GmrGrl Ingredients In Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: 1 15 ounce can of Chickpeas (also called Garbanzo Beans). Bonus points for Organic 2 Heaping Tablespoons of Tahini 1/2 Cup of Roasted Red Pepper strips. (Either jarred or roasted on your grill or in your oven) 1/3 Cup of Water 2 Garlic Cloves 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil (Flax Seed Oil is a higher nutrient alternative) 1 Lemon (for the juice) 1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt. (If you haven't made the shift to Sea Salt, please do so) 1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin

I'm jealous of your weather. My husband and I are planning a trip to Key West next year. It looks AMAZING!
2011-03-14 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I had a great weekend in Ft. Lauderdale - got a short run in and went kayaking.  Steph was right, it has been gorgeous in Florida recently.  In fact, it's been so nice that I took the day off work today and, among other things, went for a bike ride!

Steph posting the hummus recipe reminds me to ask if anyone cooks with quinoa?  For the last 5 months I've eaten a mostly vegetarian diet and am always looking for easy recipes.  I'm trying to find more things to do with quinoa, so if you've got some recipes please share Laughing

Ann-Marie

2011-03-14 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I finally got back on the workout wagon after falling off for almost a week after my HMEmbarassed.  I think I needed the rest though.  We had a gorgeous weekend so I got in a good run on Saturday and got some gardening done also.  I hit the gym yesterday for a swim and an easy ride on the stationary bike.  And this morning we wake up to 2”+ of snow!!  The weathermen got this so wrong.  They predicted a dusting that might stick to the grassy areas, but not on the roads.  I slid my way into work this morning and it’s still coming down – lighter but still snowing.  I really thought we were done with winter.  It is supposed to be 70* by the weekend though – we can only hope that they got that right, LOL!

So I’ve made a couple of decisions.  In thinking about my workouts, I realized that I tend to take the easy route.  I don’t mind sweating, but I don’t push myself at all so I want to try to change that a little.  One of the LRS’s is about 2 miles from my house and they do a group run on Monday nights – either 4 miles or 6.  I think I’m going to start going – I’ve talked about it before but never actually gone.  I know running in a group (or in a race) pushes me to go harder so I think it would be good for me to have a little extra motivation of running with other people.  I’ll probably wimp out of going tonight because of the snow, but I’m putting it on my schedule for next week – someone please hold me to itSmile

Also, with regards to swimming – I hate doing drills but I know they’re good for me and I need to do them so I’m going to start back with those.  I did some yesterday and it went OK, but I need more practice.  Question for you guys – whenever I do kick drills with a kick board, it always bothers my lower back.  I assume I’m doing something wrong, but can’t figure out what it is.  Anyone else have this problem and can help me out?  Kick drills are the worst for me (takes me forever to get to the other end of the poolFrown).  I know my kick needs work, but I don’t want to keep doing these if I’m making things worse instead of better.

2011-03-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3397010

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
soccermom15 - 2011-03-14 12:58 PM

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I finally got back on the workout wagon after falling off for almost a week after my HMEmbarassed.  I think I needed the rest though.  We had a gorgeous weekend so I got in a good run on Saturday and got some gardening done also.  I hit the gym yesterday for a swim and an easy ride on the stationary bike.  And this morning we wake up to 2”+ of snow!!  The weathermen got this so wrong.  They predicted a dusting that might stick to the grassy areas, but not on the roads.  I slid my way into work this morning and it’s still coming down – lighter but still snowing.  I really thought we were done with winter.  It is supposed to be 70* by the weekend though – we can only hope that they got that right, LOL!

So I’ve made a couple of decisions.  In thinking about my workouts, I realized that I tend to take the easy route.  I don’t mind sweating, but I don’t push myself at all so I want to try to change that a little.  One of the LRS’s is about 2 miles from my house and they do a group run on Monday nights – either 4 miles or 6.  I think I’m going to start going – I’ve talked about it before but never actually gone.  I know running in a group (or in a race) pushes me to go harder so I think it would be good for me to have a little extra motivation of running with other people.  I’ll probably wimp out of going tonight because of the snow, but I’m putting it on my schedule for next week – someone please hold me to itSmile

Also, with regards to swimming – I hate doing drills but I know they’re good for me and I need to do them so I’m going to start back with those.  I did some yesterday and it went OK, but I need more practice.  Question for you guys – whenever I do kick drills with a kick board, it always bothers my lower back.  I assume I’m doing something wrong, but can’t figure out what it is.  Anyone else have this problem and can help me out?  Kick drills are the worst for me (takes me forever to get to the other end of the poolFrown).  I know my kick needs work, but I don’t want to keep doing these if I’m making things worse instead of better.

I swim with someone with back problems. She puts the board way out front and puts her head in the water except to breathe. This keeps her back flat. She is also doing a great deal of ab work to strengthen them, which eases the stress on her back.

I don't go anywhere with the kick board either. Very frustrating. I try to 'kick from my hips' but I feel like I'm standing still. Maybe I need to roll more. Who the heck knows? plug plug plug....
2011-03-14 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Steph - Thanks for the recipe
2011-03-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3397010

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
soccermom15 - 2011-03-14 11:58 AM

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I finally got back on the workout wagon after falling off for almost a week after my HMEmbarassed

No problem, we'll take you back any time!

Don't wait a week, GO TONIGHT!!   (It'll be easier next week to go back.

I don't use a kickboard at all.  I do my kick sets on my back mostly.  I'll do an occasional lap on my side and an occasional lap face down and just scull a little to get air when I need. 

2011-03-14 2:16 PM

User image

Elite

Here's a picture of the pup!

Uhhhhhh...maybe the next post!

Edited by ingleshteechur 2011-03-14 2:37 PM
2011-03-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3397304

User image

Elite
Puppy!

(puppy3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
puppy3.jpg (29KB - 7 downloads)

2011-03-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3394692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-11 9:59 PM
suzimmer - 2011-03-11 12:29 PM

Well...saw the doc this morning. Not the news I was hoping for. I have a labral tear.  He is recommending surgery.  I can get PT and give it some time, but...  I need to ask about the possibility of this healing it on it's own.  I admit, I didn't ask the right questions.  Once I heard "surgery" "out for the season"  I ceased to process information.

To say I'm depressed and upset would be the understatement of the year.  I'm getting PT for the next 4 wks.  Still no impact, but can swim, cycle, water run, as long as it doesn't give me pain.  I have some decisions to make.

http://www.sfbay10k.com/SFBAY10K/Welcome.html

Here is something I am aiming for next year I think.  Just a thought for you.  There is also a swim around the entire Manhatan Island I would love to do someday (28.2 miles)  If you like to swim, marathon swimming could really save the entire summer for you, and keep you in great shape for next summer's tri-season.

I would do this Josh.  Keep me posted on it if you register next year.  It looks like quite the challenge.

2011-03-14 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3397347

User image

Master
Orlando

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-14 2:48 PM Puppy!

too cute! Looks like he's going to be a big boy.

I love puppies - in case you can't tell from my avatar Smile

Ann-Marie

2011-03-14 6:03 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-14 3:48 PM Puppy!

Nice puppy, hope you can keep it!!!!

We had one last year as foster parents...

2011-03-14 6:31 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

I'm starting to get my schedule in shape again, since early this month when wife changed jobs, it got me all out of shape. But it looks like it's going to work now.

ran 3 miles today, not too fast but no stops at all, after that took the bike to an empty parking lot next to the house to practice some spinning drills trying to get my cadence higher.

registered to another race today, now I have some more motivation to train. (5k run + 20m bike)

and that is all.

Edited by ricmachado 2011-03-14 7:45 PM
2011-03-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3397094

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-03-14 1:40 PM

Harvest Grains Salad

Two grilled chicken breasts
5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups of blended grains such as couscous and quinoa
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
1 small apple, diced
1 cup cherry or plum tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup black currants
1/4 cup chopped walnuts and/or almonds
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup of raw cacao nibs
Sea salt
Black pepper

Bring 1 1/3 cups of water to a boil and add 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Mix in 1 1/4 cups of blended grains and bring back to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large serving bowl, sprinkling in more olive oil. Add the fruits and vegetables. Pour in lime juice and the remaining olive oil. Toss.
Top with grilled chicken breasts. Add blueberries and cacao nibs. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately or chilled the next day. Yields about five servings.

Nutritional info per serving: 441calories, 25 g fat (6 g saturated), 28 g carbs, 26 g protein

I'm trying to find a good web site, but I usually just find them in lots of places and try them... once I learn a recipe, I usually don't need to look at it again. This one came from active.com.

2011-03-14 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3397681

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
ricmachado - 2011-03-14 4:31 PM

I'm starting to get my schedule in shape again, since early this month when wife changed jobs, it got me all out of shape. But it looks like it's going to work now.

ran 3 miles today, not too fast but no stops at all, after that took the bike to an empty parking lot next to the house to practice some spinning drills trying to get my cadence higher.

registered to another race today, now I have some more motivation to train. (5k run + 20m bike)

and that is all.

Good job on not giving up and keeping your goals alive.
2011-03-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3397094

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-03-14 1:40 PM

http://www.active.com/nutrition/

part way down the page is their recipe section.
2011-03-14 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-14 2:48 PM Puppy!

Too cute! I'd certainly be tempted to keep him.

2011-03-14 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Did a trainer ride yesterday.  Felt a bit achy later. SIGH.

Tried water running this morning after my swim.  Seemed OK.  I have my first session with the PT tomorrow after work.  I also have an appointment with another orthopedic doc who specializes in hips and hip arthroscopy for a second opinion. I was lucky to get an appointment for this Wednesday, as someone had just canceled.  At least this time I will come armed with intelligent questions.

2011-03-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3397681

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
ricmachado - 2011-03-14 7:31 PM

and that is all.

Must feel great to be back at it!

Say ingleshteechur, CUTE PUPPY!  We are a bit obsessed with RR's around here and debate getting one ever 6 months or so... My partner's family brought the first ones to America from South Africa in the 1900's.

2011-03-14 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3397865

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
suzimmer - 2011-03-14 9:34 PM

Did a trainer ride yesterday.  Felt a bit achy later. SIGH.

Tried water running this morning after my swim.  Seemed OK.  I have my first session with the PT tomorrow after work.  I also have an appointment with another orthopedic doc who specializes in hips and hip arthroscopy for a second opinion. I was lucky to get an appointment for this Wednesday, as someone had just canceled.  At least this time I will come armed with intelligent questions.

Good that your short run felt ok, thats promising... right?

2011-03-14 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3397377

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
ecpasos -

I would do this Josh.  Keep me posted on it if you register next year.  It looks like quite the challenge.

Hey listen now don't tease me here   I am quite serious about this thing, and there are only 45 slots per year, so be sure before you say yes.  How far away do you live from there?

2011-03-14 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Hi All,  I leave tomorrow for New Orleans for a few days of vacation - weather looks amazing! Hopefully I will get a least a couple of short runs in. I am soooo bad about missing workouts while on vacation.

Inglishteecher - cute puppy!!!!

2011-03-14 10:19 PM

Veteran

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-14 3:48 PM Puppy!

AWWWWW .... HE'S ADORABLE!!!Kiss

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106