BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-05-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3503074

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
gotta run - 2011-05-17 12:14 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-16 10:49 PM

julia,  i love you.  but.....  HA!

Wow, like molasses in January! Remind me to sit down in transition next time you're at one of my races.

RR is up.

A key learning for all of us...never compete in a race where John is a spectator!!

Awesome video.  Great to see some of the action from the weekend!

2011-05-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Great vid Fatty. I think it is actually a good thing to have John at a race. Makes us not waste time in transition. Then there is the other factor of" if you can't be good at least look good." for John's video.
Congrats to Sugar too for beating Doug out of the water .
2011-05-17 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hey everyone.  WOW that was a super hard race but such a good test.  For all of you half people who feel you had a bad swim, don't worry.  The word on the street is the course was too long. I've heard it was actually closer to 1.5 miles so they are suppose to be taking 6 minutes off everyone's time.  

It was so nice to see people again and get to meet new ones.  Although I see I didn't make it into John's photo gallery  

2011-05-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3503706

User image

Master

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the video!!!! Did I mention that I love it???

Julia... sweetheart... I'll cut you some slack for your lack of strategy getting to your bike, but even once you got there, well, I'd like to see more pep in that step!! Ha!!

Oh, and I forgot to comment in your RR about coming back to T2 and noticing all the bikes there. That is the story of my life!! Ha!!

When I did a tri class at the Y (two years in a row), after our OWS we'd always exit the water and run out and strip off our wetsuit as fast as we could. And a few times we'd set up all of our bike gear to practice that transition. It's free time -- might as well get as much of it as you can!! Ha!!

That was so much fun to watch. I told Dave this morning that we're heading to Portland for Rev3 next year. Shea was there and was all over it. Hope you'll join me, Julia! Steve and Ryan and Erica too??? Good times!! 

So John, do you plan to have the fastest IM transitions on Saturday? I will say that I did try to slow down a bit and take some deep breaths and make sure I had everything I needed. Yes, it's free time, but it's a LONG race so you want to make sure those i's are dotted and t's are crossed!! 

Awesome job, everyone. And thanks Fatty for sharing! Will Jarrett have the camera going this weekend for us???

2011-05-17 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Oh, I forgot to mention.  I have to defend my husband.  I was told by a friend when I was exiting the water that I beat my husbands time split.  For the record, he beat me........but only by 2 minutes!!!  Look out Doug, I'll catch you next time!!!!!
2011-05-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3503819

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

tahrens - 2011-05-17 8:21 AM Oh, I forgot to mention.  I have to defend my husband.  I was told by a friend when I was exiting the water that I beat my husbands time split.  For the record, he beat me........but only by 2 minutes!!!  Look out Doug, I'll catch you next time!!!!!

That's big of you.... I would have never said that.  He's not on this forum....

2011-05-17 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3502977

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2011-05-16 10:38 PM

So I posed the question to my coach about what I could do to take 5 minutes off my Rev 3 time, curious on your guys thoughts also.  Bike, probably not much, Run yeah I could go faster but maybe 2-3 minutes at most, transition, add another minute or so there.  Which leaves me with the swim.

I hate swimming in a pool, it ranks right up there with watching paint dry on my personal entertainment scale.  I've taken lessons from 3-4 coaches, gone to masters, tried swimming 3 times a week, I get slightly faster sometimes but it doesn't seem to cut into my times that much

Any thoughts on how to make it more enjoyable, I look forward to all my bikes, even the ones where I get dropped and have to TT my way back to the group for 4 hours.  I also enjoy all my runs, but pretty much dread every blue workout in Training Peaks.

Suzy gave me her swim Mp3 and that didn't help, lol maybe a water proof TV so I can shut off my brain while swimming?

For S&G's I went back through all my Oly and HIM swims.

Miami MAN (2008) 00:25:48 | 1056 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Mooseman (2009) 00:50:33 | 1500 meters | 03m 22s / 100meters
Rev 3 (2010) 00:24:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters (obvious short or strong current)
Columbia (2010) 00:29:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Ft. Ritchie (2010) 00:30:18 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Rumpass (2010) 00:34:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Rev 3 (2011) 00:29:14 | 1500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters

And just for Comparison
Lonestar (2010) 00:44:23 | 2000 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters

In my AG I was 21st on the swim, 8th on the bike and 12th on the run, so swimming faster would help, though this swim was my fastest to date other than the abberation last year.

one race, one course, unique conditions, and so on and so on.....  here's what i see based on Rev and....

• you v first place in your a/g.
  • you v top 3
  • you v top 14 on the swim because 1 and 3 were very fast

you have a lot of work to do on the run.  *i say a lot knowing that going from 11 min/mile to 10 min/mile is not the same thing as going from where you are at 7:33 to where you *need* to be which is somewhere around 6:25 probably closer to 6:10. 

work on your transitions.  you gave up an avg of 2:13 through both to the top 3. 

work on your bike a bit more.  1.86 mph to the top 3.  almost 3 mph to the winner. 

i'd say the swim is the least of your issues.  but you still need some work there as well.  ;-)

now, you wanna know how to do the work....  pay up sucka!    ha!  edit... there's way more than 5 minutes there for ya!

and don't forget to stop and think about where you were a couple of years ago to where you are today.  it's f'ing impressive man.  seriously. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-05-17 10:35 AM
2011-05-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3503793

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-05-17 11:13 AM

Julia... sweetheart... I'll cut you some slack for your lack of strategy getting to your bike, but even once you got there, well, I'd like to see more pep in that step!! Ha!!

Oh, and I forgot to comment in your RR about coming back to T2 and noticing all the bikes there. That is the story of my life!! Ha!!

When I did a tri class at the Y (two years in a row), after our OWS we'd always exit the water and run out and strip off our wetsuit as fast as we could. And a few times we'd set up all of our bike gear to practice that transition. It's free time -- might as well get as much of it as you can!! Ha!!

That was so much fun to watch. I told Dave this morning that we're heading to Portland for Rev3 next year. Shea was there and was all over it. Hope you'll join me, Julia! Steve and Ryan and Erica too??? Good times!! 

So John, do you plan to have the fastest IM transitions on Saturday? I will say that I did try to slow down a bit and take some deep breaths and make sure I had everything I needed. Yes, it's free time, but it's a LONG race so you want to make sure those i's are dotted and t's are crossed!! 

Awesome job, everyone. And thanks Fatty for sharing! Will Jarrett have the camera going this weekend for us???

i just found out that we have to go through the tent to get our bags.  lame.

2011-05-17 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Does anybody here have any experience with acupuncture?

Somebody suggested looking into it for my knee, and since I have my doctor's appointment today, I'm assembling a list of things to ask him about.  Right now, I'm asking about either seeing a PT or seeing a chiropractor.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

2011-05-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3504050

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Good points John and Dave,

Dave, not sure I agree completely on abandoning the swim in the off-season, I've tried that and it seems I lose speed when I do that and takes me time to get it back, but I do like the point in the article about triathletes spend too much time pounding out the laps and not enough working on technique.  Going to talk to my coach about hitting more of his stroke clinics.

And I agree with you too John on the run, the swim gap is pretty big also but that's going to take a lot more work than getting my run down if I want to be competitive.  Scary that I have to get in the low 6's for a 10k.  LOL though that seems to be a much easier task than making myself a 1:20-1:30/100 swimmer.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with my finish at Rev (other than transitions) this was the first race ever I have actually had everything work right in the same race, but even then I still had a ways between me and 3rd place.

LOL, it get's me more anylitical since I didn't screw up one discipline so can't use it as a crutch why I wasn't faster.

Edited by dalessit 2011-05-17 12:59 PM
2011-05-17 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3504050

User image

Elite
san francisco
SoccerGK - 2011-05-17 9:48 AM

Does anybody here have any experience with acupuncture?

Somebody suggested looking into it for my knee, and since I have my doctor's appointment today, I'm assembling a list of things to ask him about.  Right now, I'm asking about either seeing a PT or seeing a chiropractor.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi Erica-

I did acupuncture for a repetitive stress (tendonitis in my forearm) injury from work (I guess spinning little dials and twisting little screwdrivers is a common stress injury in my work-but it didn't happen til about 15 years later). 

My chiropractor tried the ultrasound technique for about 4 weeks and that did nothing for me, so he recommended the acupuncturist, and after 6 weeks, I was pain free.  I was doing exercises daily to strengthen the surrounding tissue, so I think that helped, too.  Unfortunately or fortunately, I still do the exercises a few times a week especially when it starts getting a little bit tight or sore.

2011-05-17 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3503793

User image

I know! What's the deal? Ridiculous.

REV3 Portland 2012 is on the calendar!

2011-05-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3503527

User image

gdale - 2011-05-17 9:41 AM
gotta run - 2011-05-17 12:14 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-16 10:49 PM

Wow, like molasses in January! Remind me to sit down in transition next time you're at one of my races.

RR is up.

A key learning for all of us...never compete in a race where John is a spectator!!

Awesome video.  Great to see some of the action from the weekend!

x2. 

Great video!

And Julia, I give you props as you were so calm in T1. 

2011-05-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3504247

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2011-05-17 1:58 PM

Good points John and Dave,

Dave, not sure I agree completely on abandoning the swim in the off-season, I've tried that and it seems I lose speed when I do that and takes me time to get it back, but I do like the point in the article about triathletes spend too much time pounding out the laps and not enough working on technique.  Going to talk to my coach about hitting more of his stroke clinics.

And I agree with you too John on the run, the swim gap is pretty big also but that's going to take a lot more work than getting my run down if I want to be competitive.  Scary that I have to get in the low 6's for a 10k.  LOL though that seems to be a much easier task than making myself a 1:20-1:30/100 swimmer.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with my finish at Rev (other than transitions) this was the first race ever I have actually had everything work right in the same race, but even then I still had a ways between me and 3rd place.

LOL, it get's me more anylitical since I didn't screw up one discipline so can't use it as a crutch why I wasn't faster.

Tony it seems you have moved up a level. You had a race where you had no major glitches. You have worked your general fitness up to a good level. With all that you did not get 3rd place. You CAN do it. It will require patience as it is the law of diminishing returns. The next smaller increases will require more work.

I think you can improve the swim w/o too much more work. It is technique. Getting your movements more hydrodynamic will make you faster and make you LESS tired. Throwing a lot of muscle into the stoke just tires you out faster and ruins your lines through the water. I do lots of sets where all I am doing is workin on my extension, my pull, being long, and rolling my torso. I have had sessions where amongst the triathletes in my coaches group I was the fastest (only when Jason fails to show). I would have my a$$ handed to me in the Masters class, but it has been a significant improvement. Don't leave that time gain in the water, just use your training time more wisely. Maybe some video sessions would help.

2011-05-17 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3504336

User image

Elite
san francisco
gotta run - 2011-05-17 11:35 AM

Absolutely loved watching you come running down the chute with your kids on the live feed!  Did you hear the announcer keep saying your first name?  I said to myself, I bet he doesn't want to mispronounce her last name, so Julia, Julia, Julia it was!

I love how 'deliberate' you were in T1...securing your bike shoes 'just so' and then hearing John's crazy "You're killing me, you know you're killing me, right?"  omg, i would have given him the stink eye, but you are SO genuinely nice, you would never do that.  Love it! 

I guess Portland's not too far from SF...it's a firm Maybe. 

2011-05-17 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hey Erica. I did some acupuncture back when I did my HIM up here. I was having a lot of difficulty with my left glut and had pain shooting down my leg  about 5 days before the race. Acupuncture worked quite well so that i was able to go and complete the race. It did take some time to heal after but it sure was effective in the short run. I have used it on some other injuries I had including my shoulder and I was very happy with the results.

2011-05-17 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Thanks Kim and Rob for the advice!  I am looking into it as a possibility. 

Saw the doc again today, and he said ANOTHER 4 weeks of no running!  Wow.  I just can't figure out how I messed up my knee this badly.  So we talked about other types of active recovery, and he wrote me a prescription for a physical therapist, so I will hopefully start PT later this week!  He also said that he thinks "alternative medicine" is a really good idea, and if I find any chiropractor or acupuncturist that I want to see, he will give me a referral for insurance purposes.  He worked on my leg, and said he's not concerned with anything else.  I still have full mobility and everything else, just the pain when I run.

He also said to take it easy on my walking!  Boo.  I've been walking my dog for at least 4 miles/day for a while, and he said I had to be super careful since where we live is so hilly.  Thanks, Wisconsin.  He also said to take it easy on stairs, which is my favorite, since we live on the second story, no elevator!

Looking for aquabikes in my area now! 

I'd love to hear any other forms of active recovery you guys have!  Also, do you think I can use this for an excuse to not help Ryan move to our new place in a couple weeks? Laughing

Edited by SoccerGK 2011-05-17 3:39 PM
2011-05-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3504528

User image

Master
kt65 - 2011-05-17 12:52 PM
gotta run - 2011-05-17 11:35 AM

Absolutely loved watching you come running down the chute with your kids on the live feed!  Did you hear the announcer keep saying your first name?  I said to myself, I bet he doesn't want to mispronounce her last name, so Julia, Julia, Julia it was!

I love how 'deliberate' you were in T1...securing your bike shoes 'just so' and then hearing John's crazy "You're killing me, you know you're killing me, right?"  omg, i would have given him the stink eye, but you are SO genuinely nice, you would never do that.  Love it! 

I guess Portland's not too far from SF...it's a firm Maybe. 

I know -- I think I totally would have flipped him off, ha ha!!

Portland is so awesome. Make sure you watch a few episodes of Portlandia before you head this way, ha ha!!! I'm already super excited for that race. Dave loved the idea when I told him how family-friendly it was. He said, "What? You mean it's not like IM where they have nothing for the kids??" We're talking nothing.

And then we had a flashback to when we literally lost Thing 2 after the race, in the dark, at 10pm, on the run course (in the center of CDA, on the waterfront). We spent about 15 minutes trying to find her -- I wasn't moving very fast at that time (obv)... it was actually very scary. We hope to avoid that this year, ha! John, be careful with your kids post-race!! Your brain will be very fuzzy. Jarrett's too, likely....

2011-05-17 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3504642

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SoccerGK - 2011-05-17 6:38 PM

Saw the doc again today, and he said ANOTHER 4 weeks of no running!  Wow.  I just can't figure out how I messed up my knee this badly.  So we talked about other types of active recovery, and he wrote me a prescription for a physical therapist, so I will hopefully start PT later this week!  He also said that he thinks "alternative medicine" is a really good idea, and if I find any chiropractor or acupuncturist that I want to see, he will give me a referral for insurance purposes.  He worked on my leg, and said he's not concerned with anything else.  I still have full mobility and everything else, just the pain when I run.

He also said to take it easy on my walking!  Boo.  I've been walking my dog for at least 4 miles/day for a while, and he said I had to be super careful since where we live is so hilly.  Thanks, Wisconsin.  He also said to take it easy on stairs, which is my favorite, since we live on the second story, no elevator!

I'd love to hear any other forms of active recovery you guys have!  Also, do you think I can use this for an excuse to not help Ryan move to our new place in a couple weeks? Laughing

I've found acupuncture and chiropractics effective for back problems and less so for knee problems.   I would go with the PT or a good massage therapist for the knee problems, but that is just my experience.       

2011-05-17 6:53 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I just got my last issue of Lava Magazine. There is a triathlete on the cover named Logan Franks. He has a helmet on with th logo I just had made on my trisuit. Then inside he has it on his tri-suit! Mine looks better and he doesn't have my slogan on the back. If I hadn't taken it from the omic book character the Punisher, I would sue him! (Where do I get an emoticon sticking its tongue out?)

2011-05-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3504924

User image

Master
DougRob - 2011-05-17 4:53 PM

I just got my last issue of Lava Magazine. There is a triathlete on the cover named Logan Franks. He has a helmet on with th logo I just had made on my trisuit. Then inside he has it on his tri-suit! Mine looks better and he doesn't have my slogan on the back. If I hadn't taken it from the omic book character the Punisher, I would sue him! (Where do I get an emoticon sticking its tongue out?)

:-p

2011-05-17 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3502992

User image

Expert
Noosa
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-17 12:49 PM

Just got to watch that video, it's GREAT!

Really gave a good idea of the atmosphere for the race; what's funny is that I had flashbacks from my childhood of my dad chasing us around at school sportsdays with his "cine-camera" and then using them later to humiliate us at family gatherings!

I'm sure the "tick-tock,tick-tock" during Julia's transition was exceptionally annoying!Laughing

2011-05-18 5:46 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
WOO-HOO!  It's a very big weekend for at least one of us.   Let's give a quick shout out to Fatty as he heads to TX today.  Would anyone else like to raise their hands high and tell us about their race plans?
2011-05-18 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3504642

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SoccerGK - 2011-05-17 3:38 PM

Hey Erica--glad you went back and got some PT put in that training plan!  For what it's worth, you do not need to look for races that have an official aquabike category (there aren't many), you can simply SB and quit.  You'll get a DNF, but you'll get the experience.  I did that in Lonestar last year due to injury and never looked back.  Great training.

Hey Doug--hubba-hubba on that dude.

2011-05-18 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3505367

User image

Champion
marietta

SSMinnow - 2011-05-18 6:46 AM WOO-HOO!  It's a very big weekend for at least one of us.   Let's give a quick shout out to Fatty as he heads to TX today.  Would anyone else like to raise their hands high and tell us about their race plans?

good lucking racing peeps!!!   we're all in this mess together so smile when it sucks!!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298