BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-08 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4037117

User image

Sacramento, CA
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
kkcbelle - 2012-02-08 7:35 PM

Speaking of fears... One of my fave triathletes, Bree Wee (breeweehawaii.blogspot.com) had this paragraph in her blog today. She is speaking to our MG!! She covers many of the fears listed here today! Yay for Bree!

"Speaking of big sharks, we all have them. Call them fears if you want. In sport our sharks can be, "ocean swims, the competition, big hills, cold water, long run courses, the heat, attempting to qualify, racing for paydays, big waves". The list can get pretty big if you let it, like a shark. I'm coming to find at most all the races these sharks and more are all out there, every time. Much like swimming here on the island, the sharks are always there. Slowly I'm discovering they aren't exactly out to get you, eat you, and spit you out, they just exist in the same place at the same time, like a race day. In most every case, if you don't look for your sharks you won't even see them, fears are those things that most the time are only visible if you actually focus on them."

Yes!  Exactly.  I love that idea that something is only visible if you focus on it - maybe that can be both good and bad.  Today I had to ask myself "what is pain?" I tried to really listen to my body.

2012-02-08 11:16 PM
in reply to: #4035632

User image

Sacramento, CA
SSMinnow - 2012-02-08 7:19 AM

Can you hear me over the sound of the crashing waves?  I hope so because we want to know WHO'S GETTING THEIR GROOVE ON AND RACING THIS WEEKEND?

With many of you already starting training plans for your first race or "A" race of the season, let's get the fear out on the table. What worries you most as you prepare for it? why?  how are you overcoming it?  if you're not, how can we help?

No racing for me!  Fear...Falling off the bike again.  Fear...not being able to ride again.

2012-02-09 5:11 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2012-02-09 12:19 AM

Can you hear me over the sound of the crashing waves?  I hope so because we want to know WHO'S GETTING THEIR GROOVE ON AND RACING THIS WEEKEND?

With many of you already starting training plans for your first race or "A" race of the season, let's get the fear out on the table. What worries you most as you prepare for it? why?  how are you overcoming it?  if you're not, how can we help?

No racing and not much training this weekend, off to a conference on the Gold Coast.

I don't really have any fears about races apart from turning up on race day knowing I haven't trained adequately. My only other worry is that some injury will rear it's ugly head and spoil the day!

2012-02-09 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2012-02-08 10:19 AM

Got a short notice tasking from Headquarters (Wife) that we are doing the Virginia is for Lovers 14K race this Saturday, so it looks like I am racing after all.

Training Fears:  Injury.  Past couple years I am certain that 95% of my training issues have been caused by pushing it too hard, self induced - when I set my mind to do something, I don't do it half a$$.  SO, this year I'm focusing on throttling back... training in Z2 or a  low Z3 and just enjoy the ride.  I'll still indulge myself to an AWESOME tempo run now and then though.

2012-02-09 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4037117

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
kkcbelle - 2012-02-08 10:35 PM

Speaking of fears... One of my fave triathletes, Bree Wee (breeweehawaii.blogspot.com) had this paragraph in her blog today. She is speaking to our MG!! She covers many of the fears listed here today! Yay for Bree!

"Speaking of big sharks, we all have them. Call them fears if you want. In sport our sharks can be, "ocean swims, the competition, big hills, cold water, long run courses, the heat, attempting to qualify, racing for paydays, big waves". The list can get pretty big if you let it, like a shark. I'm coming to find at most all the races these sharks and more are all out there, every time. Much like swimming here on the island, the sharks are always there. Slowly I'm discovering they aren't exactly out to get you, eat you, and spit you out, they just exist in the same place at the same time, like a race day. In most every case, if you don't look for your sharks you won't even see them, fears are those things that most the time are only visible if you actually focus on them."

She's definitely in synch with the MG.  One of my favorite all time quotes is "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal".  I confess I have always tended to think too much when training.  In tri, OWS are the worst for me.  My mind plays tricks on me about what lurks in the deep shadows of the lake floor.  So far, I'm ok actual race day, but solitary lake swims get my heart rate up just looking under water.

Small victory for me this week; I might have done one good flip turn at the pool on Tuesday.  The recent flurry of flips turn threads on Tri Talk had me watching some youtube videos last week.  I had to muster a ton of courage to try them while swimming next to our HS's swim team who all lap me in 25yds but I'm getting there. 

2012-02-09 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Things here are complicated. I am my daughter's Odyssey of the Mind Coach and that takes a lot of time. Today we have a meeting at our house at 3:10. To get everything in I had to get up at the crack of stupid and get to the pool. I also have the bike packed for a lunch time ride. I get to the pool and it looks like there is and Occupy the pool rally going on. I could not even get close to the building! So I went to work and have to bag the swim. No place I can fit it in for the rest of the day. Best laid plans...

Can't get it in tomorrow as I am alrady scheduled to swim then. (Rant over).

Edited by DougRob 2012-02-09 7:13 AM

2012-02-09 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4037382

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2012-02-09 7:57 AM

Things here are complicated. I am my daughter's Odyssey of the Mind Coach and that takes a lot of time. today we have a meeting at our house at3:10. To get everything in I had to get up at the crack of stupid and get to the pool. I also hav the bike packed for a lunch time ride. I get to the pool and it looks like there is and Occupt the pool rally going on. I could not even get close to the building! So I went to work and have to bag the swim. No place I can fit it in for the rest of the day. Best laid plans...

the fact that you have a meeting scheduled for 3:10 tells me you have a lot going on. 

occupy the pool, hahahahahaaha!

2012-02-09 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2012-02-08 10:19 AM

there could be a jack hammer going off and we'd still be able to hear you. hope you're feeling better.

good luck racing peeps.  nada here, but i am havin'fun this weekend!!!!! 

fears, not sure i have any fears.  the IM run is on my mind.  but with some modifications to training, good planning and consistency i think we'll be just fine.

2012-02-09 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4037324

User image

Champion
marietta
mighty mom - 2012-02-09 7:13 AM

Small victory for me this week; I might have done one good flip turn at the pool on Tuesday.  The recent flurry of flips turn threads on Tri Talk had me watching some youtube videos last week.  I had to muster a ton of courage to try them while swimming next to our HS's swim team who all lap me in 25yds but I'm getting there. 

awesome job!  keep it up.  from a non-swimmer... it becomes second nature after a while.  i haven't read any of the threads on tri talk but here's my .02.  i used to blow off flip turns, now i can't imagine swimming without them if only because they are a lot more fun than open turns.  it breaks up the monotony.  flip turns force me concentrate on breathing much more.  and i've got to pay attention to where i am in the lane as i get closer to the wall. 

a comment on mustering up courage.. this is freakin' awesome.  good for you!!!  i bet next time it will take a little less courage.  and in a few weeks you won't even think about it.  its these mental victories that have nothing to do with swim, bike, run that make this sport so awesome.  the courage, confidence, belief in yourself, etc.. will carry on well past the finish line of a race.  AWESOME JOB!!!!   hey, next time ask one of those hs swimmers to watch you turn or watch your stroke.  i bet they've be more than happy if not flattered to give you a pointer or two. 

2012-02-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4037382

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Things here are complicated. I am my daughter's Odyssey of the Mind Coach and that takes a lot of time. Today we have a meeting at our house at 3:10. To get everything in I had to get up at the crack of stupid and get to the pool. I also have the bike packed for a lunch time ride. I get to the pool and it looks like there is and Occupy the pool rally going on. I could not even get close to the building! So I went to work and have to bag the swim. No place I can fit it in for the rest of the day. Best laid plans...

It does take a finely oiled schedule to get everything in.  Sam and I have 2 kids in multiple activities all week so we have to compare schedules to make sure we both get our workouts in.  For me if I take an extra 10 minutes getting out of work some days it means I have to skip the workout or not start it until 9pm.

I log a lot of miles on the trainer because of this and my new plan works around kids schedule, sam's schedule and daily weather...

2012-02-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4036957

User image

Extreme Veteran
jfought - 2012-02-08 8:55 PM
Tobey91 - 2012-02-07 12:34 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-07 12:14 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-07 9:13 AM
kkcbelle - 2012-02-06 2:20 PM

And apologies to young children's sensibilities.....but this really needs to be bumped to a new page.  He's my motivation.  It's raining outside, I've got a nasty cold, and I need to run.  I just need to decide if I'm chasing him, or if he's chasing me....or if I should just stay on the couch and watch The Bachelor.

Innocent  VOTES?

JEEZ!  Bump already!!!!

FWIW, I was not intending to censor what people put in this MG.  I am perfectly happy that people want to share these pics.  (And I am particularly fond of the repeated sharing of the pool picture -- there WAS a pool in that picture, wasn't there?)  I was simply amused by the juxtaposition of my experience with Jayne's comment that she was glad she did not check out the MG at work.

I'm pretty late to the show, but I need to make a couple of comments.  The above statement is inaccurate.  That was Deb that made that comment. I'm the one that posted the original picture!!  I felt like our female triathlete needed a male counterpart on the thread.  It only seemed right. 

Apologies for the error.  And, as I indicated, as far as I am concerned, post away.

2012-02-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4037391

User image

fattyfatfat - 2012-02-09 8:04 AM

Things here are complicated. I am my daughter's Odyssey of the Mind Coach and that takes a lot of time. today we have a meeting at our house at3:10. To get everything in I had to get up at the crack of stupid and get to the pool. I also hav the bike packed for a lunch time ride. I get to the pool and it looks like there is and Occupt the pool rally going on. I could not even get close to the building! So I went to work and have to bag the swim. No place I can fit it in for the rest of the day. Best laid plans...

the fact that you have a meeting scheduled for 3:10 tells me you have a lot going on. 

occupy the pool, hahahahahaaha!

NC High School State Championships going on @ TAC.  It runs through Sunday night.  I'd stay clear until Monday.  

2012-02-09 9:02 AM

User image

No racing for me this weekend.  But I am doing something fun.  I have wanted to take a certain photography class for 3 yrs.  It has never worked out.  This was to be the year.  Then my husband decides he wantes to do a race the same weekend as the class (that is an hour from us).  No problem.  I book the Atlanta class.  On my way this weekend.  So excited.

Fear = bike issues.  I trust my body to do what I train it to do.  So I feel I have control over that.  But mechanical bike issues scare the heck out of me.  So I am committed to "learn my bike" before Nov. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2012-02-09 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4037683

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2012-02-09 9:02 AM

No racing for me this weekend.  But I am doing something fun.  I have wanted to take a certain photography class for 3 yrs.  It has never worked out.  This was to be the year.  Then my husband decides he wantes to do a race the same weekend as the class (that is an hour from us).  No problem.  I book the Atlanta class.  On my way this weekend.  So excited.

Fear = bike issues.  I trust my body to do what I train it to do.  So I feel I have control over that.  But mechanical bike issues scare the heck out of me.  So I am committed to "learn my bike" before Nov. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Love the idea of a photography class! 

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better, but after having my cable break in IM, I realize even those issues are not insurmountable.  There was no way for me to fix it myself and yeah I lost 25-30' of the side of the road and another however many minutes riding in my 39 for an hour, but it got fixed by the IM mechanics and off I went to have a pretty decent day.  Maybe that helps?  I think John could probably pipe in here too.

2012-02-09 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4037598

User image

Regular
Tobey91 - 2012-02-09 7:37 AM
jfought - 2012-02-08 8:55 PM
Tobey91 - 2012-02-07 12:34 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-07 12:14 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-07 9:13 AM
kkcbelle - 2012-02-06 2:20 PM

And apologies to young children's sensibilities.....but this really needs to be bumped to a new page.  He's my motivation.  It's raining outside, I've got a nasty cold, and I need to run.  I just need to decide if I'm chasing him, or if he's chasing me....or if I should just stay on the couch and watch The Bachelor.

Innocent  VOTES?

JEEZ!  Bump already!!!!

FWIW, I was not intending to censor what people put in this MG.  I am perfectly happy that people want to share these pics.  (And I am particularly fond of the repeated sharing of the pool picture -- there WAS a pool in that picture, wasn't there?)  I was simply amused by the juxtaposition of my experience with Jayne's comment that she was glad she did not check out the MG at work.

I'm pretty late to the show, but I need to make a couple of comments.  The above statement is inaccurate.  That was Deb that made that comment. I'm the one that posted the original picture!!  I felt like our female triathlete needed a male counterpart on the thread.  It only seemed right. 

Apologies for the error.  And, as I indicated, as far as I am concerned, post away.

For the record, I also have no issue with naked men pictures.    I did post that I was glad that I didn't read this thread at work.  I also took part in bumping the picture - after all, I don't have to read the thread at work.  Feel free to consider that a juxtaposition.

If my comment was what got the picture removed, I apologize.  I certainly did not make it with those intentions.  I also made it out in the open, rather then a PM or anything.

Perhaps we just need a shirtless picture - though probably not of Trevor.  

2012-02-09 9:30 AM

User image

Regular

So, bike maintenance: does anyone here wrench their own bike?  Any suggestions on learning how to do the basics?  Books worth getting?

I can change a flat, but I don't have many skills beyond that.  I've considered taking a class that a bike shop nearby runs, but it won't be until next year, if I do.

2012-02-09 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4037791

User image

Extreme Veteran
_Deb_ - 2012-02-09 10:30 AM

So, bike maintenance: does anyone here wrench their own bike?  Any suggestions on learning how to do the basics?  Books worth getting?

I can change a flat, but I don't have many skills beyond that.  I've considered taking a class that a bike shop nearby runs, but it won't be until next year, if I do.

If memory serves, Tony and others in this group are great sources on this.  I think Park Tool has some good basic courses that you can attend, and also some good videos and instructions at:  http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help.  But I defer to Tony and others...

2012-02-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4037826

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Tobey91 - 2012-02-09 10:45 AM
_Deb_ - 2012-02-09 10:30 AM

If memory serves, Tony and others in this group are great sources on this.  I think Park Tool has some good basic courses that you can attend, and also some good videos and instructions at:  http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help.  But I defer to Tony and others...

Yep, that is a great link, just click on the part you want to work on and it will tell you how to do it and what tool you need.

Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance is a great resource also, it's good because it covers multiple brands, i.e. you work on Shimano shifters differently than SRAM ones.

When looking at the tools you need you don't have to get the Park version, the pedro's or other ones are normally just a good.  I picked up most of my tools at Performance bikes.

2012-02-09 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I can't shake this rotten cold.  Arg.  Supposed to run 8+ today, and my chest hurts.  No coughing or fever, but sore chest, headache, sore throat & congestion.  And exhaustion....I even left the Sharks game early last night!

What say you, wise MG?  A look at my logs will show that I've slacked this week because of the bug - am I better off running through this today (and tomorrow) or throwing in the towel?  67 days from Boston....

2012-02-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4037917

User image

Master
velcromom - 2012-02-09 8:17 AM

I can't shake this rotten cold.  Arg.  Supposed to run 8+ today, and my chest hurts.  No coughing or fever, but sore chest, headache, sore throat & congestion.  And exhaustion....I even left the Sharks game early last night!

What say you, wise MG?  A look at my logs will show that I've slacked this week because of the bug - am I better off running through this today (and tomorrow) or throwing in the towel?  67 days from Boston....

I say rest. Today's run won't make or break Boston for you. But if you push it today and end up more sick, then it stands a bigger chance of really disrupting training. GET BETTER!!!!! And eat soup!

2012-02-09 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4037964

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2012-02-09 11:30 AM

I say rest. Today's run won't make or break Boston for you. But if you push it today and end up more sick, then it stands a bigger chance of really disrupting training. GET BETTER!!!!! And eat soup!

agree!

2012-02-09 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4037964

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2012-02-09 10:30 AM

67 days is a lifetime.  I agree with Kyla and John.  My one other suggestion (said kindly) is start eating better .  You need to add points to the bank when you subtract them as fast as you do with your training.  Tell one of those kids to go squeeze you some fresh CA OJ and drink up!

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-02-09 11:00 AM
2012-02-09 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

This may help with Open Water panic. When I'm open water swimming if for reason I feel uncomfortable I roll over onto my back.  I do a few back strokes. Get my breathing and heartbeat down. Then roll back over and swim again.

I also after doing a hard set swimming I often do a 25 or 50 back stroke instead of a longer rest at the wall.

Tiana

2012-02-09 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

Linda, Rest up, eat well and get better.  You're gonna do great in Boston.

Tiana

Edited by tritiny 2012-02-09 11:26 AM
2012-02-09 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4038124

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
tritiny - 2012-02-09 12:21 PM

This may help with Open Water panic. When I'm open water swimming if for reason I feel uncomfortable I roll over onto my back.  I do a few back strokes. Get my breathing and heartbeat down. Then roll back over and swim again.

I also after doing a hard set swimming I often do a 25 or 50 back stroke instead of a longer rest at the wall.

Tiana

In the summer, I do ows twice a week with some people from my tri club.  This has been a huge help.  First of all, it gets you comfortable with all kind of water temps and "creepy stuff in the water" situations.  Second, you get really good at sighting.  Third, we would start some of our swims like a race and go out hard just to get the heart racing and then try to settle in, bring the hr down, without needing to stop and regroup. 

Fears:  Right now I feel like I've never done a tri before.  Any time I think about a race, I feel a bit of anxiety.  Last year seems SOOOOO long ago.  My biggest fear is still the swim.  The run used to be my biggest fear, but it's now more of a healthy respect for the distance.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117