2011-01-21 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3312946

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

dalessit - 2011-01-21 9:13 AM
badgerintx - 2011-01-21 8:52 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 9:17 PM so I had my first Masters Swim session for year today.  got my butt kicked and my coach pointed out two areas for improvement: 1) keep my head level & still will little movement while taking a breath. 2) dropping my left shoulder during the catch

I mainly breath on my right side, so I naturally drop my left arm as I take a breath on my right side.  My coach suggested trying to point my left thumb down when I enter my left arm for the catch.  It seems to work, but I feel like it's straining my left shoulder a lot.. Any thoughts on how to correct this?  I'm sure bilateral breathing would help, but I'm still a WIP on this and that's a different story..

My $.02.......The best drill for shoulder dropping, arm entry, or pull balance issues is the catch up drill. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si6VeAfluQ

It can be a tough drill to master but I find that if I feel any stroke issues with shoulder drop or arm entry, a couple of sets of catch up drill followed immediately with some pull buoy work to ingrain the stroke muscle memory works for me......

Keeping your head level....that is a different story.  I would suggest doing a couple of sets with a kick board or pull buoy depending on what is easier for you....using your normal breath rhythm while really focusing on keeping your head level and breathing out of your arm-pit (the visual I use in my head for proper head position during your breath)  

Agree on catch up.

Also one thing when doing drills, if you find you spend more time struggling to not sink while doing drills, put on some fins.  They'll provide you more than enough propulsion to stay afloat so you can focus on the drills.

Agree with both. Another couple of drills you can do are shark fin and zipper. Shark fin: with one arm directly ahead of you and the other by your thigh. Slide the recovery arm (thigh) up your side to about even with the top of your head. Keep fingers in the water all the time. Your elbow sticking out of the water will look like a shark fin. Slide the same hand back down to the hip and repeat. Change side for each length. This will get you better at staying on your side and swimming. It will also help with your bi-lateral breathing. The zipper. During your freestyle make sure you slide your hand all the way up your side. Fingers should touch your side as high /close to your armpit as possible.  Complete your normal stroke and continue through with free style to the other side. Once again this will encourage swimming on your side and will help even out the stroke.  Both of these will improve your technique and help with that nasty shoulder drop.

Use flippers when doing both of these. It will make it much easier to focus on the technique instead of worrying about your legs as well.

2011-01-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I'm doing this race in July. looks like it will be a hoot. 

http://www.warriordash.com/info.php

2011-01-21 10:04 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hello from the land of the Mouse!!
Busy day getting down here yesterday, dumping the bags and hitting the park.
Girls woke up at 5:30 ready to go. Park opens at 9 today....Girls are already snakey. So I went for a n easy run around the park this morning. So nice to run in shorts again!!
2011-01-21 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3313256

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
If you have an android phone check out the Training Log and Site support forum.

2011-01-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3312946

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2011-01-21 8:13 AM
badgerintx - 2011-01-21 8:52 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 9:17 PM so I had my first Masters Swim session for year today.  got my butt kicked and my coach pointed out two areas for improvement: 1) keep my head level & still will little movement while taking a breath. 2) dropping my left shoulder during the catch

I mainly breath on my right side, so I naturally drop my left arm as I take a breath on my right side.  My coach suggested trying to point my left thumb down when I enter my left arm for the catch.  It seems to work, but I feel like it's straining my left shoulder a lot.. Any thoughts on how to correct this?  I'm sure bilateral breathing would help, but I'm still a WIP on this and that's a different story..

My $.02.......The best drill for shoulder dropping, arm entry, or pull balance issues is the catch up drill. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si6VeAfluQ

It can be a tough drill to master but I find that if I feel any stroke issues with shoulder drop or arm entry, a couple of sets of catch up drill followed immediately with some pull buoy work to ingrain the stroke muscle memory works for me......

Keeping your head level....that is a different story.  I would suggest doing a couple of sets with a kick board or pull buoy depending on what is easier for you....using your normal breath rhythm while really focusing on keeping your head level and breathing out of your arm-pit (the visual I use in my head for proper head position during your breath)  

Agree on catch up.

Also one thing when doing drills, if you find you spend more time struggling to not sink while doing drills, put on some fins.  They'll provide you more than enough propulsion to stay afloat so you can focus on the drills.

I agree with Tony.  I just learned the value of adding fins when trying to do some of the drills.  While I cannot wear them for very long (cramp up my calves), I do find them valuable for balance drills like shark fin, 6 kicks, etc......
2011-01-21 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

oops no post. apparently just post padding

Edited by Redknight 2011-01-21 11:49 AM

2011-01-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3313299

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 11:23 AM

I agree with Tony.  I just learned the value of adding fins when trying to do some of the drills.  While I cannot wear them for very long (cramp up my calves), I do find them valuable for balance drills like shark fin, 6 kicks, etc......

Suzy are you kicking too much from the knee and not enough from the hip????? 

2011-01-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3313106

User image

Chatham Ontario
SoccerGK - 2011-01-21 9:20 AM
Techdiver - 2011-01-21 7:26 AM Well my foot is slowly getting better. I spent a lot of time on my feet yesterday at work which was good. Foot was sore by the end of day but still much better. I think my workouts are about to slide from 400 mins a week to 0 doesn't really fit my plan. But we had to terminate two people in management yesterday, As well as I forced 2 to quite about a month ago, for the better of the company in the long run. But I know it will be a couple months before we replace them and another couple before the new people are up to speed.

As such I am now working 12 hour shifts, throw in my 50-60 min drive and I am gone 14 hours a day, then doing some work from home as well. I attempted to go downstairs last night and spin at 9:30pm. By 9:31 I wanted to pick my bike up and throw it. Between work, winter and a sore foot I have had enough this week. And knowing full well I will have to be gone 14-15 hours days now.

No excuses, play like a champion!  I promise that even with all that craziness, you will feel a ton better if you just wake up early and get a spin in.  I, too, have an hour long commute each way.  Plus work and class.  There are plenty of days where I'm gone from 7am-9:30pm, like yesterday!  Though this semester will be a little less hectic, I was on that schedule pretty much all last semester, every day.  The early morning workouts can be tough at first, but now, I love my 5am bike rides.  You'll be much happier if you get these in.  Promise!  Stick with it!

Ya I got a nice email from my training buddy that basicly told me it is still winter and I shouldn't worry about volume right now. Deal with work and if my work outs are shorter and less frequent don't give up. I don't love 5am bike rides. But I think I am going to learn how to do them. I can't run in the morning my stomach just can't handle it.

I just made a deal with my boss to give me a full hour at lunch to take off and work out. So I am going to cough up $300 for a 3 month membership to a gym about 10 mins from my work so I can get in there for 40 mins a day and work out. Its pricy but its the only gym near me. My wife isn't happy about the cost. But I need to work out as an avenue to relieve stress. It is apparent not working out much this week and work has me stressed and venting here. And no one needs to listen to my crap.

So although I don't push the HTFU attitude I think I will still take this approach for my problem. I have a problem, I also need to be part of the solution instead of giving up in the face of it.

So thanks
2011-01-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3313549

User image

Champion
Redknight - 2011-01-21 11:53 AM

That is definitely something I am working on, but I don't think that's the cause of the cramping.  That extra weight from the fins sends my calves into overload.  Wore them today without issue so perhaps I'm learning.

In my Tuesday Master's class I am by far the slowest kick boarder.  I've always done kicking on my back and it shows! YOWZA.  I think the rest of the class feels they could break out lunch while they wait for me to catch up.
2011-01-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3313798

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Techdiver - 2011-01-21 2:17 PM
Techdiver - 2011-01-21 7:26 AM Well my foot is slowly getting better. I spent a lot of time on my feet yesterday at work which was good. Foot was sore by the end of day but still much better. I think my workouts are about to slide from 400 mins a week to 0 doesn't really fit my plan. But we had to terminate two people in management yesterday, As well as I forced 2 to quite about a month ago, for the better of the company in the long run. But I know it will be a couple months before we replace them and another couple before the new people are up to speed.

As such I am now working 12 hour shifts, throw in my 50-60 min drive and I am gone 14 hours a day, then doing some work from home as well. I attempted to go downstairs last night and spin at 9:30pm. By 9:31 I wanted to pick my bike up and throw it. Between work, winter and a sore foot I have had enough this week. And knowing full well I will have to be gone 14-15 hours days now.

No excuses, play like a champion!  I promise that even with all that craziness, you will feel a ton better if you just wake up early and get a spin in.  I, too, have an hour long commute each way.  Plus work and class.  There are plenty of days where I'm gone from 7am-9:30pm, like yesterday!  Though this semester will be a little less hectic, I was on that schedule pretty much all last semester, every day.  The early morning workouts can be tough at first, but now, I love my 5am bike rides.  You'll be much happier if you get these in.  Promise!  Stick with it!

Ya I got a nice email from my training buddy that basicly told me it is still winter and I shouldn't worry about volume right now. Deal with work and if my work outs are shorter and less frequent don't give up. I don't love 5am bike rides. But I think I am going to learn how to do them. I can't run in the morning my stomach just can't handle it.

I just made a deal with my boss to give me a full hour at lunch to take off and work out. So I am going to cough up $300 for a 3 month membership to a gym about 10 mins from my work so I can get in there for 40 mins a day and work out. Its pricy but its the only gym near me. My wife isn't happy about the cost. But I need to work out as an avenue to relieve stress. It is apparent not working out much this week and work has me stressed and venting here. And no one needs to listen to my crap.

So although I don't push the HTFU attitude I think I will still take this approach for my problem. I have a problem, I also need to be part of the solution instead of giving up in the face of it.

So thanks

That's a great attitude.  A lot of businesses are offering at least partial compensation or gym membership discounts as part of thier work/life balance programs.  Maybe that is available to you. Ask HR.
2011-01-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3313849

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 1:35 PM

That is definitely something I am working on, but I don't think that's the cause of the cramping.  That extra weight from the fins sends my calves into overload.  Wore them today without issue so perhaps I'm learning.

In my Tuesday Master's class I am by far the slowest kick boarder.  I've always done kicking on my back and it shows! YOWZA.  I think the rest of the class feels they could break out lunch while they wait for me to catch up.

If I kick on my back, I go backwards...  No kickboard or fins for me doing kick drills - just arms out, head down, rotate to breathe...

2011-01-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3313890

User image

Elite
san francisco
ashort33 - 2011-01-21 11:50 AM

If I kick on my back, I go backwards...  No kickboard or fins for me doing kick drills - just arms out, head down, rotate to breathe...

Funny, Andy, I was trying to picture that...kick on back, go backwards...isn't that where you want to go? 

I do all of my kicking without the board, too, these days, since we have to do IM kick all of the time at Masters and I can't do butterfly kick or breaststroke kick with the board, I am too uncoordinated.  I find it easier on my neck to do freestyle kick without the board.

Gosh, I haven't seen my fins in a long time.  I hope they are not in the bottomless pit with my swim tempo trainer that I wanted to give to Tony but could never find.  I want to break them out and go practice some drills with them, now that you guys have inspired me!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

2011-01-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3312529

User image

Champion
marietta
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 10:17 PM  Any thoughts on how to correct this? 

do some 50's, 100's and/or 300's hard on short rest.

and bilateral breathing is way overrated.  edit for clarification ... its a great tool for knowing whats going on around you,  but learn how to site properly and you'll be just as good.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-21 2:23 PM
2011-01-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3313954

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 2:20 PM

and bilateral breathing is way overrated.  edit for clarification ... its a great tool for knowing whats going on around you,  but learn how to site properly and you'll be just as good.

I think there is a benefit to bilateral breathing. Every frickin' coach that sees me swim suggests it to even out my stroke....my right pull is like superman's and my left is like Minnie Mouse.  I try to do some of it at the beginning or end of every swim.
2011-01-21 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3313798

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Techdiver - 2011-01-21 1:17 PM

So thanks

Good for you!  I didn't mean to sound HTFU-ish, but just motivating and encouraging.  It is a tough transition, but my husband forced me to wake up at 5am so many times and I wanted to kill him.  Now, I can't thank him enough.  You'll do GREAT!  I know it!  And it will make your days better, even if they are just a little longer.  Trust me!
2011-01-21 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3313984

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 12:37 PM

I think there is a benefit to bilateral breathing. Every frickin' coach that sees me swim suggests it to even out my stroke....my right pull is like superman's and my left is like Minnie Mouse.  I try to do some of it at the beginning or end of every swim.

For anyone wondering why Suzy and I are twins.  Other than our birthdays being the same day, that describes me, too!
Master's coach tells me however that when I do 50's and 100's and even 200's hard on short rest, the issue goes away somewhat, so John's got something there.  

He tells me that when I go easier or get tired eg...on my 400's, I go into "catch up" swimming mode (TI style) and my pull on the left goes to he## in a handbasket.  I'm still trying to figure that out.  He wants me to come 3-4x a week to get stronger and build more endurance, but I'm still trying to figure out how to fit that into my already hectic schedule.

2011-01-21 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 3:37 PM

well,  lets see what the new one says! 
2011-01-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3314027

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-01-21 3:57 PM  He wants me to come 3-4x a week to get stronger and build more endurance,

2011-01-21 3:12 PM

User image

Master

I have always done it... learned it that way as a kid (and have encouraged my kids to do it too). I definitely "favor" one side -- naturally I will breathe to the left (and if you lay me down on my stomach, the left is the side my head naturally turns). But if I were only to breathe only left, then I do end up getting a more lop-sided stroke, and it becomes more lurching/lunge-like, if that makes sense. Is that bad? Not necessarily -- if you watch the Olympic swimmers you'll notice many of the sprint/mid-distance (400M) swimmers breathe to one side primarily and do have a stroke that is more lunge-like. The distance swimmers (1500M) tend to breathe bilaterally more. Why? Dunno. Maybe they are putting in so much more freestyle yardage that it is more comfortable. Oftentimes mid-distance swimmers have a stroke or IM specialty so they aren't putting in as much freestyle during workouts, or they are getting that "stroke balance" (i.e. not being lopsided) with other strokes.

Does it matter for triathlon? Likely not, unless you are noticing some pain or repetitive stress injuries due to favoring one side, or you swim super crooked due to your stroke being lopsided. It doesn't matter what the peeps around you are doing in OWS, so bi-lateral breathing to check out your competition is not relevant (as you would do in a pool, perhaps) , what matters is that you are taking the straightest line forward that you can.

Linda (Havin'Fun), would you agree??
2011-01-21 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3313954

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 3:20 PM

I tend to agree...good siting is much more valuable than bi-lateral breathing for OWS in tri's.  Unfortunatly, unless you do a lot of your swimming outdoors, it is harder to practice.  I am a left side breather.  There is one race that I do that is an out and back swim clockwise.  This is the only time left side only breathing is a problem for me.  If I could breathe on the right, I wouldn't even have to site, I could just follow the buoy line all the way out and back.
2011-01-21 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3313890

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
ashort33 - 2011-01-21 1:50 PM

I am a terrible kicker also.  I SUCK at it.  I can actually kick better on my back or side, but with the kick boar, I may as well be backing up.  I just can't figure it out.

2011-01-21 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3314061

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 4:12 PM

I have always done it... learned it that way as a kid (and have encouraged my kids to do it too). I definitely "favor" one side -- naturally I will breathe to the left (and if you lay me down on my stomach, the left is the side my head naturally turns). But if I were only to breathe only left, then I do end up getting a more lop-sided stroke, and it becomes more lurching/lunge-like, if that makes sense. Is that bad? Not necessarily -- if you watch the Olympic swimmers you'll notice many of the sprint/mid-distance (400M) swimmers breathe to one side primarily and do have a stroke that is more lunge-like. The distance swimmers (1500M) tend to breathe bilaterally more. Why? Dunno. Maybe they are putting in so much more freestyle yardage that it is more comfortable. Oftentimes mid-distance swimmers have a stroke or IM specialty so they aren't putting in as much freestyle during workouts, or they are getting that "stroke balance" (i.e. not being lopsided) with other strokes.

Does it matter for triathlon? Likely not, unless you are noticing some pain or repetitive stress injuries due to favoring one side, or you swim super crooked due to your stroke being lopsided. It doesn't matter what the peeps around you are doing in OWS, so bi-lateral breathing to check out your competition is not relevant (as you would do in a pool, perhaps) , what matters is that you are taking the straightest line forward that you can.

you don't think keeping an eye out for feet to draft off matters?  not that breathing left and right is required for this.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-21 6:49 PM
2011-01-21 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3314417

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 4:47 PM

you don't think keeping an eye out for feet to draft off matters?  not that breathing left and right is required for this.

I said AROUND, not IN FRONT OF.

Sheesh.

2011-01-21 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3314541

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 9:13 PM

Sheesh.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-01-21 8:55 PM
2011-01-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3314600

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 6:54 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 9:13 PM

Sheesh.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171