BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-05-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4201201

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
kgore - 2012-05-09 9:01 PM

Hey, finally back to life (sorta--at least not feeling too painful now, but still kinda loopy!)!

I'm so sorry to hear about John--Losing a friend is a terrible thing to go through, and though I didn't know him personally, it sounds like he would have been an awesome manatee.

Yanti, I am glad to hear the good typhoid news, and I think you are also making the right choice. I truly hope you get better soon!

on my front, (not literally) it was a busy day, so good thing I am feeling better-ish. I had a final exam to take as well as taking part in a rattlesnake physical exam/advanced venomous training session--thankfully, I wasn't being trained, I was helping as a trainer! The snake in question is a VERY angry Northern Pacific Rattlesnake--who is approximately 37inches long (including rattle), so it was fun to deal with him and play with him while he was knocked out in anesthesia! He will join us in the reptile house in 2 months or so. No pics of him, but we do have another, who is a bit younger, smaller, and less volatile (though I still DO NOT handle him--that would be stupid)--here's what he looks like:

Back when he was a little guy. Smile

I love my job.

So now working out for me until I have FULLY recovered, by coaches orders...This only makes me a bit nervous, as my next tri-and one of my more important and HARDER ones is a week from Sunday...Hopefully, I will be all good in a day or two. Okay, my time is up as Solo the cat has decided that laying in between me and the computer is as it should be right now...

I would love your job, too. What fun. And that cat is adorable.

I'm glad you're feeling better -- I hope all of your finals go well. When is your last one?

I had a pretty good day today -- got the final grades for two classes in (three to go) -- I just realized I was teaching five classes! lol Not as bad as it sounds -- two of them were one credit classes and one three hour class, which I added at the very last minute had two students in it.

Just before lunch, I told everyone I was taking off the rest of the day, and number one son and I drove to my husband's work and had lunch together. Well, actually my son drove. Surprised He did a pretty good job -- he ended up getting over an hour of driving time today, but on the way home, I think we were both tired and crabby. He almost killed us twice and got mad at me for jumping.

Anyway, after lunch, we signed him up to take a math placement test Friday morning, then went to see The Avengers. After, we did some shopping, and he pretended to be my "sassy gay friend." It made shopping a lot of fun -- which was not the reaction he was hoping for. I like the sassy gay friend. Every girl needs one. :-)

After we got home and I threw some food on the table (I'm really hating to cook lately), I went out for my "medium" long run. I am so excited: 6.6 miles. And I feel great. My goal is 10 miles on Saturday.

Tomorrow, back to the grind. I need to get at least one more class final grades done. I have until Tuesday at noon, but I'm hoping to have everything in by Friday noon.

Reece -- good news about your clavicle. It's a bummer that you can't run or bike for a few weeks, but swimming sounds good. Maybe you could do some aqua jogging, as well? I got very sad when you said you were missing a ride tonight.

Edited by KansasMom 2012-05-09 9:36 PM

2012-05-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4201039

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
reecealan - 2012-05-09 8:35 PM

Injury Update:

Went to ortho and had more X-Rays because Primary Care X-Rays were not readable from the CD, huh?  So someone has to pay twice for X-Rays now?  Whatever.

The only broken thing was a distal fracture of the collar bone.  It wasn't that bad.  No surgery required/recommended.  The woman was a Nurse Practitioner, not a orthopedic surgeon etc.  But she says that I can swim as soon as the road rash heals but with ONE ARM!  Ha, so looks like my kicking is about to improve because I will get my yards in one way or the other.

Good news!

I asked her about biking.  She says don't do anything until I see her in 3 weeks.  Same for running.  She says that jostling of the arm can delay the healing process or worse cause further injury.

Follow up question:  What about the trainer?  I can see jostling if you are outside but inside?  Just wondering.

So I think the K.C. Tri is out (May 20th).  But what about IMKS 70.3?  That's 5 weeks post injury.  I will know more in 3 weeks I suppose.  Do I get a second opinion?  One of my friends says I should go Chrissie Wellington on the K.C. Tri.  If it were cracked ribs, maybe but she didn't do it with a fractured collar bone.  Oh yeah, she has way better doctors than I and can afford it.

I'm pretty happy with the news.  I am really bummed about the K.C. Tri though, I was trying to qualify for the AG Elite at Hy-Vee 5150 Championships, oh well.

I'm so sorry about Hy-Vee.  Pfft.

O.K. I'm going to have a beer now with my friends who are returning from the Wednesday night group ride I should have been on.

Beer float!

2012-05-10 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4201201

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
kgore - 2012-05-09 10:01 PM

So now working out for me until I have FULLY recovered, by coaches orders...This only makes me a bit nervous, as my next tri-and one of my more important and HARDER ones is a week from Sunday...Hopefully, I will be all good in a day or two. Okay, my time is up as Solo the cat has decided that laying in between me and the computer is as it should be right now...

Listen to Coach and Get Better!

2012-05-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yanti, Jen and TJ - I'm sorry to hear about your friends.  Sounds like quite a few of us are riding through a bit of a rough patch.  And thank you to everyone for your inspires about my dad.  I lost my mom when I was only 17, so unfortunately losing a parent is not new to me, but I do know that with time the pain dulls and you are left with great memories of someone amazing.

Yanti, please take care of yourself! Even though I've only virtually know you for a short time, you are clearly such a special person with such great energy.  So much of how we feel is based on our attitude - mind over matter! You can beat this stupid typhoid!!

Reece, sorry to hear about the injury and missing your race.  I hope you can get back in the game for IMKS!! I can't wrap my head around that level of training right now, and to have it all taken away because of a crash. Ugh. But it's true, we have to let get of the things we can't control (it's soooo hard though!!)

Felicia, sounds like you had a great day with your son! God bless you, teaching him to drive...must be nervewracking! And great job resisting the sweets! I have NO willpower!

As for me, life goes on. I've been really good about getting to my training sessions (thank you for the May challenge, Yanti!). haven't missed one this week! Which is good, because the tri is Sunday!!! ahh!!  I"ve got cycling tonight and then boot camp tomorrow, will probably do a short run on Saturday.  It's a little sprint tri, so I'm not worried about tiring myself out.

How about you other Manatees? Get on the challenge spreadsheet and update your progress - we are getting eaten alive by those sharks!

2012-05-10 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey all!  Hope today is a good day for everyone.

Reece, sounds like the doctors orders are pretty good, considering... Hope you can still do IMKS.

I got my Shiela T book last night and "dove" into it immediately.  I hope it can help this poor old adult onset swimmer...

I have a question I thought I'd ask you all.  Remeber how I had that killer side cramp during my last race? Well now I've had it every training run since that race?!?!? I don't know what to make of it.  I use to get them occasionally but I always figured it was bad timing on nutrition or something.  But this is getting crazy! I'm concerned about getting one during my sprint this weekend! Ideas?

2012-05-10 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm back in travel planning mode and I have a couple of question for you.

For those of you who have shipped bikes -- FedEx or UPS?

When renting a car for a bike + bike box -- basically I need suggestions.  Something like a Toyota Highlander?  Ford Escape?  

The plan is to borrow a bike box and ship it to a shop in Santa Rosa.  They will assemble, tune up, etc.  We'll pick up bike and I am assuming the empty box.  After the race, we'll drop off the bike and box and ship back to North Carolina.  For at least a little while, we'll have both the assembled bike and empty box.

Also, what measurements need to be taken before shipping?

Any advice would be appreciated!  (so glad that B2B was local, I knew air travel and bike shipping would add stress!)

Thanks!

2012-05-10 2:40 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Reece, I'd also be careful about using the trainer.  You don't want to be supporting your weight on the arm right now.  I tried training with three broken ribs.  It was incredibly painful and the jostling delayed the healing process pretty substantially.  I think it took about 4 months before I could cough without pain.

I know it sucks, but I would say to skip IMKS.  I think if I was in your situation I would not do these races and get healthy so that you are in better form for your later races.  There's a chance that doing this race means you injure yourself more and require even more healing time.  I know I'm on the conservative side of racing while sick and injured, so that is definitely just my opinion.

2012-05-10 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Just a few minutes for a quick fly by.

Reece, I think Artemis may be right. Risk further injury in order to better prepare for another race???

Each day I try to have a deep thought, so here is today's:

Never cook bacon while naked!
2012-05-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4202963

User image

Seattle

cdban66 - 2012-05-10 2:46 PM Just a few minutes for a quick fly by. Reece, I think Artemis may be right. Risk further injury in order to better prepare for another race??? Each day I try to have a deep thought, so here is today's: Never cook bacon while naked!

Hahahaha! Well, goodness, I learn something new every day! 

2012-05-10 5:03 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright Manatees, I am suuuper excited! In my spare (hahaha) time over the past few years I have helped my friends start a clothing company that is all about spreading a positive message. I did most of the graphic design for them. 

Anyway, today is the launch of our kickstarter project!!!! 

If you get a chance, take a look! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onesoulrevolution/one-soul-revolution-clothing

It's really exciting to see it come to life! 

2012-05-10 6:41 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Hey y'all drive by posting but first day is in the books 95 miles and 4000+ feet of climbing today. We had two schools line up on the route to cheer us on truly inspiring. Hope all is well with the POD will post another couple of drive-bys the next couple of days

2012-05-10 6:54 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I ran this morning!!!  It was slow and painful but it was a start!  Hopefully I can keep the momentum moving and get back out tomorrow. 

HOpe you all are well.  I should have some more time to hang out here now that my semester is over and I GRADUATED!!  I'm still a little excited about that.
2012-05-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4203485

User image

Master

Tripopo - 2012-05-10 4:41 PM Hey y'all drive by posting but first day is in the books 95 miles and 4000+ feet of climbing today. We had two schools line up on the route to cheer us on truly inspiring. Hope all is well with the POD will post another couple of drive-bys the next couple of days

Great job Kirk!  Glad you had some cheerleaders along the way. 

2012-05-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4203502

User image

Master

ebshot - 2012-05-10 4:54 PM I ran this morning!!!  It was slow and painful but it was a start!  Hopefully I can keep the momentum moving and get back out tomorrow. 

HOpe you all are well.  I should have some more time to hang out here now that my semester is over and I GRADUATED!!  I'm still a little excited about that.

Congratulations on the run and on graduating!  What a load off for you Smile

2012-05-10 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4203358

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-05-10 5:03 PM

Alright Manatees, I am suuuper excited! In my spare (hahaha) time over the past few years I have helped my friends start a clothing company that is all about spreading a positive message. I did most of the graphic design for them. 

Anyway, today is the launch of our kickstarter project!!!! 

If you get a chance, take a look! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onesoulrevolution/one-soul-revolution-clothing

It's really exciting to see it come to life! 

That sounds fun, Adrienne. Congrats to you and your friends.

2012-05-10 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Tripopo - 2012-05-10 6:41 PM Hey y'all drive by posting but first day is in the books 95 miles and 4000+ feet of climbing today. We had two schools line up on the route to cheer us on truly inspiring. Hope all is well with the POD will post another couple of drive-bys the next couple of days

Great! I was thinking of you all today. What a great ride for a wonderful cause. I'm glad to hear that you all are getting strong crowd support.

2012-05-10 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4202927

User image

Master
Central Kansas

TJ and Janyne -- unfortunately, I don't know anything about side stitches or shipping bikes. Neither sounds like a lot of fun.

I have almost all of my grading finished. Hooray!

My son got a C+ in his composition class. I'll take it. His teacher is frustrated with him because he should have had an A but blew off some assignments and one major paper.

Then his Psych professor called me at home tonight -- my son scored the highest grade on the final exam (He had done the same for his midterm and quizzes) but some of his minor assignments didn't get submitted (surprise, surprise). Actually, I do think there was some kind of glitch because I saw him doing some of them, but evidently he didn't follow the publisher instructions well enough and they didn't make it to the prof. He's going to give him this weekend to submit them because he 'wants to see him get a good grade.' I kind of wish he wouldn't do it, but I'm also thankful. Bryan is frustrated because he really did do them but now has to do them over again and make sure he hits all the <submit> buttons.

I'm having a great running week. I'm very excited about it. After my 6.6 mile last night, I wasn't sore this morning. At all. While the kiddos were at swimming lessons, I ran 4.-- miles.  I also got out for an easy bike ride -- although the wind didn't make it that easy.

I've decided to pay the 5 or 7 dollars (I can't remember how much it is) at the YMCA 30 minutes from here for a swim workout tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to make the most of it. It kills me to have to drive to swim when I have a pool two blocks from my house, but oh well.

I hope everyone's having a good day. It looks like Yanti must be taking a well deserved day of rest. Reece -- I hope your aches and pains are feeling better. How is your road rash healing?

2012-05-10 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4200674

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-09 4:43 PM
melbo55 - 2012-05-10 5:33 AM
TriAya - 2012-05-09 4:06 PM

P.S. I wrote some pretty decent OWS stuff in this post/article that Salty told me to HTFU and finish, already.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439566&posts=4&start=1

Melanie likes it.

I especially like the meditation part.  As part of my martial arts training, meditation is practiced at the beginning of each class and I have learned that its benefits extend far beyond the dojo.  I often meditate before I play a hockey game or before a tri, or even sometimes while riding bike if I am really suffering through a hill (just need to not close my eyes!).  And it is invaluable in times of stress.

I have a theory about meditation that's nevertheless got some pretty good circumstantial evidence for it.

Practiced, focused deep meditation puts into play the body's repair/waste clearing/etc. mechanisms in some ways even more so than sleep.

There's so much I could say about it, but ... the short version is I'd put a lot of money on that athletes who regularly (and with some timing) practice focused meditation recover better, therefore get fitter, and perform better than athletes who don't.

Anyway, this kind of meditation (I mentioned biofeedback, which is more specific) will be playing a central role in Yanti's New Au Naturel All Natural Healing Plan.

I have been thinking about this a lot.  This kind of ties in with what I was saying before after Chris wrote that beautiful post.

My mind used to just race. I could never seem to get control and have some quiet. I did some serious meditation and yoga for a few months and really tried to wrap my head around the concepts of both practices. This was right around the same time I started running. Pretty soon they were all functioning similarly in my life. Running then evolved into my meditation time.

I see a lot of people trying to distract themselves from running, or exercise in general. I am even guilty of it sometimes. But when I really focus and try to be as present as possible I get some incredible gains and some true peace.  

2012-05-10 10:02 PM

User image

Seattle

ebshot - 2012-05-10 6:54 PM I ran this morning!!!  It was slow and painful but it was a start!  Hopefully I can keep the momentum moving and get back out tomorrow. 

I am so happy for you! Congratulations! That must feel fantastic!

Nice work getting the run in! Just be patient with it and take it slow. You'll fall right back into the swing of it.

2012-05-11 12:51 AM

User image

Elite

ebshot - 2012-05-10 6:54 PM I ran this morning!!!  It was slow and painful but it was a start!  Hopefully I can keep the momentum moving and get back out tomorrow. 

Oh lala a Graduate!  Yay for the educated manatee, welcome back to running.  Hope you can hang out more often!

2012-05-11 12:55 AM
in reply to: #4203757

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2012-05-10 10:00 PM
TriAya - 2012-05-09 4:43 PM
melbo55 - 2012-05-10 5:33 AM
TriAya - 2012-05-09 4:06 PM

P.S. I wrote some pretty decent OWS stuff in this post/article that Salty told me to HTFU and finish, already.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439566&posts=4&start=1

Melanie likes it.

I especially like the meditation part.  As part of my martial arts training, meditation is practiced at the beginning of each class and I have learned that its benefits extend far beyond the dojo.  I often meditate before I play a hockey game or before a tri, or even sometimes while riding bike if I am really suffering through a hill (just need to not close my eyes!).  And it is invaluable in times of stress.

I have a theory about meditation that's nevertheless got some pretty good circumstantial evidence for it.

Practiced, focused deep meditation puts into play the body's repair/waste clearing/etc. mechanisms in some ways even more so than sleep.

There's so much I could say about it, but ... the short version is I'd put a lot of money on that athletes who regularly (and with some timing) practice focused meditation recover better, therefore get fitter, and perform better than athletes who don't.

Anyway, this kind of meditation (I mentioned biofeedback, which is more specific) will be playing a central role in Yanti's New Au Naturel All Natural Healing Plan.

I have been thinking about this a lot.  This kind of ties in with what I was saying before after Chris wrote that beautiful post.

My mind used to just race. I could never seem to get control and have some quiet. I did some serious meditation and yoga for a few months and really tried to wrap my head around the concepts of both practices. This was right around the same time I started running. Pretty soon they were all functioning similarly in my life. Running then evolved into my meditation time.

I see a lot of people trying to distract themselves from running, or exercise in general. I am even guilty of it sometimes. But when I really focus and try to be as present as possible I get some incredible gains and some true peace.  

Running is my mind's time.  It can be peaceful, it can be chaotic, i just let it go.  I solve a lot of problems while running, I talk to myself a lot and I try and smile rather than grimace. 

In fact with most exercise i'm like that, though in swimming i'm thinking technique mostly - breathe, deeper catch JOJO, don't swoop out too much with the arms, don't bend your legs when kicking etc....as soon as I kind of switch off, I see Coach Johnny standing on the pool deck right next to me and he's onto it!  He knows when I switch off!

2012-05-11 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Tripopo - 2012-05-10 7:41 PM

Hey y'all drive by posting but first day is in the books 95 miles and 4000+ feet of climbing today. We had two schools line up on the route to cheer us on truly inspiring. Hope all is well with the POD will post another couple of drive-bys the next couple of days

Awesome job, keep up the great work!
2012-05-11 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
ebshot - 2012-05-10 7:54 PM

I ran this morning!!!  It was slow and painful but it was a start!  Hopefully I can keep the momentum moving and get back out tomorrow. 

Congratulations! The running is cool, but the graduating is OUTSTANDING! You should be excited, you've earned it.
2012-05-11 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4203648

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2012-05-10 9:44 PM

TJ and Janyne -- unfortunately, I don't know anything about side stitches or shipping bikes. Neither sounds like a lot of fun.

I have almost all of my grading finished. Hooray!

My son got a C+ in his composition class. I'll take it. His teacher is frustrated with him because he should have had an A but blew off some assignments and one major paper.

Then his Psych professor called me at home tonight -- my son scored the highest grade on the final exam (He had done the same for his midterm and quizzes) but some of his minor assignments didn't get submitted (surprise, surprise). Actually, I do think there was some kind of glitch because I saw him doing some of them, but evidently he didn't follow the publisher instructions well enough and they didn't make it to the prof. He's going to give him this weekend to submit them because he 'wants to see him get a good grade.' I kind of wish he wouldn't do it, but I'm also thankful. Bryan is frustrated because he really did do them but now has to do them over again and make sure he hits all the buttons.

I'm having a great running week. I'm very excited about it. After my 6.6 mile last night, I wasn't sore this morning. At all. While the kiddos were at swimming lessons, I ran 4.-- miles.  I also got out for an easy bike ride -- although the wind didn't make it that easy.

I've decided to pay the 5 or 7 dollars (I can't remember how much it is) at the YMCA 30 minutes from here for a swim workout tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to make the most of it. It kills me to have to drive to swim when I have a pool two blocks from my house, but oh well.

I hope everyone's having a good day. It looks like Yanti must be taking a well deserved day of rest. Reece -- I hope your aches and pains are feeling better. How is your road rash healing?

That is good news about your son. Hopefully he makes the most of the opportunity. I will say that after a few online classes, I have learned there is ample opportunity to screw stuff up during the process. I always save everything I do, either in screen shots or word docs or something if possible. I too learned the hard way. And good job on the running. I agree that paying and driving to swim kinda sux, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Now finish that grading and get on with SUMMER! Do you have any summer classes that you'll be working?
2012-05-11 7:23 AM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Adrienne,  cool website!   I hope you guys are able to reach your goal by June.  I love the message.

Regarding meditation, it reminded me of my high school track and cross country coach.  He used to have us meditate before our practices and meets.  He would mentally take us through the run course and visualize a strong pace, strong body, strong mind, and strong finish.  He was also a cancer survivor, so he took his teaching and coaching very seriously.  I really valued him as a coach and person.  

Funny, I didn't think much about him much until I was reading some of these posts.  Meditation can be such a powerful tool.  This has reminded me that maybe I need to incorporate this back into my life.  Lord knows I may need this for my Oly tomorrow.    

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81