General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-19 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3556176

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

tripadigin - 2011-06-19 8:01 AM Tough day for me yesterday.  Had a 110+mile ride scheduled but had a bad crash.  Was going over a drawbridge here in Annapolis and the metal was wet...wheel turned and did a face plant into the steel bridge flooring.  Cheek and right side of body all banged.  That I'll recover from ok.  The worse part is a broken bone in my right hand (4th metacarpal) and dislocated thumb in left hand (carpometacarpal joint).  Will have to see what the hand surgeon says this week but LP looking doubtful.    Will try to see if I can swim in casts and just try to finish the race.  Feeling a little bummed today but nevertheless thankful that it wasn't much worse.

Sorry to hear this. I was bummed about bruised ribs from my crash, seems like you've got a bit more to deal with. Your attitude is better than mine was. Hang in there!

On a positive note, I did 90 miles in 5.5 hours yesterday. Felt pretty good most of the time. Hit a couple of steep hills, one that reminded me of Savageman. I stopped to get water at the turn around point and had flatted. If you're going to flat it might as well be when you've stopped anyway. I also had a first time experience; hit by a projectile from a moving car. Some punk redneck kids in a ricer. I think it was a water bottle. That's sort of what it felt like as it bounced off my helmet. I "invited" them to come back and "discuss" the situation but they declined. I must say though, it was a pretty good shot for a brain damaged cretin.

2011-06-19 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

New user

Hello from Lake Placid Camp kiddos!  Yesterday we did 2 loops of the bike course than a 4 mile run.  This is my second Fireman Camp this year and I was looking forward to seeing how much improvement has been made since the May Camp.  I felt stronger on the bike... BUT there was a vicious headwind the last 15 miles of the loop, yes, on the hardest part of the course, riding uphill, you had to deal with a headwind.  All my positive energy got blown away by it.  The first loop I completed in 3:17 which is really good for me and I still felt fresh.  On the second loop, the sun and heat got to me.  I had to take many salt tablets and drink more.  And that headwind?  It was still blowing strong at the end.  By the time I climbed Papa Bear I wanted off my bike ASAP.  I was in the worst mental state and felt pretty crappy.  I finished 112 in 6:50ish (and I actually think I did a mile or two more).  So it's a decent time but I feel (and know deep down) I can do better.  I let the elements get to me.  

So what did I learn? While my eating nutrition went off without a hitch, I have to drink more, especially on the first loop.  I'm 98% of the time a positive person, but that nasty 2% came out and I need to have some mantra's to repeat over and over to get through the low times. Also, it's been said before... ride the first loop in an easier zone than you think.  Your body will thank you on the second loop!

This morning we did a simulated mass start in the lake.  The water temp was great.  I'd like to say I felt good during the swim, but I had a slight panic in the beginning.  I am a strong swimmer and this is the second time this year I had to stop, breath, flip on my back, and take a minute to relax.  How frustrating!!  About 300 yards in, I finally was ok, but man does that kill any sort of swim time!

I'm about to head out on a 3 hour run on the course... I'll report back later with any run course tidbits!

p.s. Despite my complaining, Lake Placid is absolutely stunning!  I love this bike course and do feel lucky that I can do this sport!

2011-06-19 11:21 AM

User image

tripadigin - 2011-06-19 8:01 AM Tough day for me yesterday.  Had a 110+mile ride scheduled but had a bad crash.  Was going over a drawbridge here in Annapolis and the metal was wet...wheel turned and did a face plant into the steel bridge flooring.  Cheek and right side of body all banged.  That I'll recover from ok.  The worse part is a broken bone in my right hand (4th metacarpal) and dislocated thumb in left hand (carpometacarpal joint).  Will have to see what the hand surgeon says this week but LP looking doubtful.    Will try to see if I can swim in casts and just try to finish the race.  Feeling a little bummed today but nevertheless thankful that it wasn't much worse.

Shoot, really sorry to hear about the crash.  It sounds like there is still Hope though.  Keep us posted.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
2011-06-19 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3556194

User image

I've been struggling with long rides for the past few weeks.  I just can't seem to find saddle bliss.  I went from a stock Felt addle to an Adamo Road in Dec to a Cobb V-Flow Max 3 weeks ago to a Fizik Arione Tri 2 yesterday.  The Adamo and Max are just too wide and give me saddle sores right at my leg pit(running shorts ow cause friction in that spot as well).  I use quality chamois creams and I've got a decent fit.  I just ordered a pair of DeSoto 400 mile bibs yesterday based on countless good reviews.  I'm hoping that a combination of those and the Arione might make riding 100 miles at least in the realm of possibility.

Hey man, it's uncanny but I tried all three of those exact seats.  I finally found saddle bliss the the Adamo Road Saddle.  I liked the saddle, but it was also too wide for me in the front also.  Then I read on a road bike forum someone saying you can wrap zip ties around the two rails underneath and make the front on the saddle narrower.  So I tried it.  I took two long black zip ties, and I ended up making the nose of the saddle about 1/4 inch thinner, and now my thighs don't rub at all in the aero-position or when sitting up!

The Adamo has been a lifesaver for me because all last year I had wicked sciatica in my lower back, and the one thing that relieved the pain was when I focused on sitting/putting my weight on my sit bones.  With the Cobb and the Arione, I was resting on my perineum and on any ride longer than an hour my lower back would start hurting, badly, because of the way my pelvis was tilted, and the fact that I was using my lower back to support part of my weight; instead of letting the seat and my sit bones support all of my weight. 

Here's a pic of my Adamo with the modification, and I've ridden about 1500 miles with the zip-ties and had zero issues.  There are also new ISM seats with narrower noses:  http://www.ismseat.com/products.htm

2011-06-19 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
tripadigin... Hope you heal up quick and are able to make it out with us.

Back from camp, and even though the run today wasn't fast, nor did it feel all that good, you have to appreciate the Adirondacks. Great views and great air.

It total agreement, it did get warmer throughout the day yesterday, and the wind in your face for all of the climbing could definitely be quite depressing. My thought to myself when riding was, it could be worse on race day, so just suck it up . I do agree with my wife though, the 9N stretch is probably the best portion of the bike course. You can pick up a lot of time in that section, and not even have to work all that hard to do it. I'm still hoping my body can find its mojo before race day though. Still very sluggish. Just need to rest it more.

I hope everyone's training goes well from here on out, and anyone who's injured heals quickly.

2011-06-19 6:35 PM

Veteran

Glad to hear you were not more seriously injured. Really sorry to hear you might have to pull out though... I hope you heal up soon!!!

2011-06-19 6:36 PM

Veteran

Back from an awesome and intense training weekend in the mountains of West Virginia... and all I gotta say is the hills in Lake Placid better be scared of ME!

Ryan

2011-06-19 8:16 PM

User image

Champion

Evening (for the record I almost typed "Morning"...it is definitely not the morning...man I'm tired )

Sorry to hear about the mishaps this weekend! Hope you get some good news and are still able to race tripagidin!

Those biking stories made me a bit glad that I was stuck inside on the trainer today--but not really...! It poured and poured and poured...5:50 on the trainer with my favourite man coach Troy--sarcasm because I'm now feeling a little bit of hostility for coach troy with my tiredness, haha. Spent 3hrs doing Tough Love and almost 3hrs doing the Lake Placid training ride.

Only 3 weeks till taper...taper taper taper taper...that's all I want right now...

Well I need to go make lunch for tomorrow. Start my physiatry elective in the morning which means I have a super early swim!

2011-06-20 7:23 AM

User image

Regular

i love all of everyone enthusiasm about LP post vs. CD posts, your true competitiveness shines through the virtual world as well....

ok now onto training.

saturday - 85 mile ride wooohoooo+ 10 transition run, felt good.

sunday- 13 mile trail race at Mt.greylock in adams mass, wow this race rocked my body, literally, and then i ran 3 miles into town to get my 16 miler in!! holy quads a thumping. first 3 miles climbing 2200 took 1 hr, then 10 miles screaming down hill on lots of technical stuff. 3 hrs 8 min in motion, then a few more miles to make everyone else that was sitting eating hamburgers feel like slackers...i was so sick of pavement i opted for this race to get the miles in...

JK. i really wanted a hamburger too.

2011-06-20 7:33 AM

User image

Regular

Those biking stories made me a bit glad that I was stuck inside on the trainer today--but not really...! It poured and poured and poured...5:50 on the trainer with my favourite man coach Troy--sarcasm because I'm now feeling a little bit of hostility for coach troy with my tiredness, haha. Spent 3hrs doing Tough Love and almost 3hrs doing the Lake Placid training ride.

550 on the trainer?? you are nuts. never for me .......and you can only take so much of troy... now if it was bradley cooper.....

great work !! it will pay off... shortly!!

2011-06-20 8:47 AM

User image

Buffalo, NY

Back at work after the weekend up at Lake Placid training.  Took a whole lot out of me to leave that place yesterday, I just love it there.  I had a great weekend of training, got the bike course, run course, and swim in.  I echo most of the comments about the conditions up there.  Half the roads are torn up the other half are smooth as a baby's bottom.  Riding in the lane, as opposed to the shoulder, will help greatly on race day in some areas.  I just can't wait to run and bike with aid stations, the longer stuff is not easy without lovely volunteers throwing food and drink at you.

I must say, I'm feeling ready.  I've been thinking it for a week but this weekend solidified my belief that I'm prepared I just need to freshen up with my taper soon.  2 more weeks with a race each weekend and I start taper.  Let's do this people!!

Also, I know this was thrown around months ago, do we want to try and pick a tentative time/place to meet up?  It would be nice to meet as many folks as possible beforehand so we all get a few extra high-fives running by each other on the marathon.

2011-06-20 9:29 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
I got a question.  What can I expect for the run course, how hilly, hard etc. etc.  You hear alot of talk about the bike course but very little for the run course. 
2011-06-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3557614

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
peewee - 2011-06-20 10:29 AM

I got a question.  What can I expect for the run course, how hilly, hard etc. etc.  You hear alot of talk about the bike course but very little for the run course. 

The run course has two major hills in it. It really seems to be a pick and choose your battles type of run course. Depending on how strong of a runner you are, you can move on the course pretty good. River Rd. is smaller rollers for the most part, but far from unbearable. The climb back up after you cross the bridge coming back from River Rd. is the first test, and can tear you up if you're not careful. Also, people will be trying to push you to run as hard as you can up the hill in town, but be smart and listen to your body. Most of these people have no concept as to how you're feeling at this point, first or second loop.
2011-06-20 9:47 AM

Veteran

peewee - 2011-06-20 10:29 AM I got a question.  What can I expect for the run course, how hilly, hard etc. etc.  You hear alot of talk about the bike course but very little for the run course. 

There is some about the run course at the bottom of the description here:

http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/ironman-lake-placid-advice-and-racing.html

From what I remember of the run course you are running straight downhill out of town then back uphill again - It follows the same path of the bike course out and you go down anotehr very steep hill then take a left onto River Road. That part is very scenic and not too challenging with changes in elevation - Most of the run is done on the out and back on River Road. When you make the right turn back onto 73 you have to run (or walk) back up the steep hill... and then run back up the steep hill in town... Then there is a short out and back along Mirror lake which is flat. To me, the two major hills will be very challenging but the rest of it should be "manageable" (as much as it can be after swimming 2.4 and running 112 beforehand!)

Ryan

2011-06-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3557674

User image

Regular

tripadigin - good luck...   Hoping that the Doc can fix you up so that you can at least go out there and give it your best shot on the day....  

I count myself very fortunante ~ even though my goal of a 56/20 brick was drastically reduced to a easy 45ride (with coffee stop in the middle) and 10run (which was 6 less than my revised goal) ~ whilst walking down the subway steps in cleats, i slimmed and i think i was close to destroying my knee ligamints...  phew.   i just managed to hold on...     Checked off a hilly 75m in Harriman y/day though so the w/e was saved.  I went with the "listen to your body" advise on Sat.  I was tired and it was HOT and Humid and i just did not have the training mojo working for me.

ONE MORE BIG WEEK.  Not had a beer for 3 weeks....   I`m hanging for a LP 46 and will be there this w/e - but not drinking till 7/1. 

34 days...  

2011-06-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3557803

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO

I am totally on board with the "no beer 'til after the race" crowd......after missing 3 weeks with bronchitis, I have finally gotten fully back on track although very far behind. so, I'll have to focus on getting as much volume as I can while getting as light as I can between now and race day....

I managed a decent 90 miler in the hills yesterday on the bike and so far my air is starting to come around......hopefully with a few HUGE days over the next couple of weeks then a short quick taper I should be okay to go.....I may be pushing the edge and the taper timing is going to be crucial or I may crash and burn on the run.....we'll see.......

BTW, I WILL be at the LP Brewing Co....post race....hopefully I'll have my usual time to allow time to enjoy my post race beverages while the last couple of folks finish ala Louisville 2009.....

Is there any plan for a BT meet and greet on Friday or at the pre-race dinner??

Paul

2011-06-20 12:46 PM

User image

Regular

you guys are truley insane, its official. no beer? beer has gotten me through the past 20 weeks...

i would like to know what pros will be racing LP?

those guys racing CD must be so stoked, its this weekend! we will soon be in their shoes........1 week out?... i cant wait!!

2011-06-20 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
peewee - 2011-06-20 10:29 AM

The run course is tough - 2 large hills per loop and some rollers on river road. I know a lot of people, including some of the top OA amateurs, walk the hill back up in to town.
2011-06-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3558184

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Hand surgery (both hands) scheduled for Wednesday...doc is a cyclist/runner and was actually up at LP this past weekend doing some riding.  He says I could start training one week after the surgery...that will only leave 3.5 weeks before the race so its still iffy at this point.  I will see how recovery goes after surgery and then limited training.  Thankfully I have a pretty good base so we'll see.  Regardless, family still plans on being up there for the race since the place is fully paid.  If racing is a no, then I'll likely volunteer.
2011-06-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3558184

User image

Regular

The run course was tougher than I expected when I ran it a few weeks ago.  Maybe I was tired from the 112mile bike the day before but it got me...  STEEP little buggers.

For the record, I would like to announce that I swam at lunch today.  I bet most if not all of you care, but if you knew how much I hate swimming (and knew that I average no more than 45min per week) you’d be happy for me.  And probably glad that I’ll not be the first drowning casualty at IMLP.

I would rather drink like a fish - and that’s why I took June off the beers/wines.  It’s not the norm and it’s not really aimed at making me fitter, I just want to prove a point.

Is the lack of banter today a sign that everyone is tired from a big w/e of training?

2011-06-20 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3558255

User image

Regular

So long as you can get thro the swim and handle the decent into Keene, then hopefully you can give this year a go, especially as it is all paid for.  You can sign up the day before this years race for 2012 and use this year as an IM "training" day  :-)

Edited by blackchr05 2011-06-20 1:31 PM

2011-06-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3558255

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
tripadigin - 2011-06-20 2:26 PMHand surgery (both hands) scheduled for Wednesday...doc is a cyclist/runner and was actually up at LP this past weekend doing some riding.  He says I could start training one week after the surgery...that will only leave 3.5 weeks before the race so its still iffy at this point.  I will see how recovery goes after surgery and then limited training.  Thankfully I have a pretty good base so we'll see.  Regardless, family still plans on being up there for the race since the place is fully paid.  If racing is a no, then I'll likely volunteer.
Tripadigin - I suppose that news could be worse? Sounds like you might have chance - very best wishes on the surgery - keep us posted on how it goes.
2011-06-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3558257

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
blackchr05 - 2011-06-20 2:26 PM

The run course was tougher than I expected when I ran it a few weeks ago.  Maybe I was tired from the 112mile bike the day before but it got me...  STEEP little buggers.

For the record, I would like to announce that I swam at lunch today.  I bet most if not all of you care, but if you knew how much I hate swimming (and knew that I average no more than 45min per week) you’d be happy for me.  And probably glad that I’ll not be the first drowning casualty at IMLP.

I would rather drink like a fish - and that’s why I took June off the beers/wines.  It’s not the norm and it’s not really aimed at making me fitter, I just want to prove a point.

Is the lack of banter today a sign that everyone is tired from a big w/e of training?

whew! For a minute there I thought you you had sworn off martinis too!
yeah, I've done that on occasion as well, sort of a mind-over-matter kind of thing. Alcohol, caffiene, bread, etc. 45 days without bread was the toughest, believe it or not. I found it very hard to consume enough butter without it...

had a good 3 hour/1.25 hour brick Saturday, then "active recovery" yesterday. This morning was a tougher-than-expected 2:30 endurance pace run. We have been desperate for rain in the south, which we finally got over the past couple of days, thank goodness - it sent the humidity through the roof though.

2011-06-20 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3554867

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
kr140.6 - 2011-06-17 5:32 PM

TankBoy - 2011-06-17 2:12 PM Hey peewee, I am pretty fortunate in that I can get all my volume in during the week, so that lets me have somewhat of a "normal person" weekend. I raced last weekend, so that did shift my week a little bit, so on Saturday I have 3 hour hilly bike @ 75% FTP followed by a 1:15 endurance-pace hilly run. Sunday is an off day!

Have a good Sunday off, Rusty.

Hey Peeps...sound like you'll be busy this weekend.  I have reached the hardest week in this training in that it has to be a high volume week but I have to work all weekend Cry (and when I say work that might mean being up for three nights!!) BUT I am so proud of myself.... logs show 18.5 hours since Sunday, yippee!!!.. So psyched I got it done.  Took day off yesterday, so glad I did.

Good luck

Kate! Awesome volume! I have been no where close to 18 hours (yet?). Hope you made it through the weekend of work and got at least a little sleep? Just think, if you switched from tris over to ultra/adventure racing, you could log all that work-induced sleep depravation as "training time" too - just THINK what your logs would look like then!
2011-06-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3558446

Veteran
TankBoy - 2011-06-20 3:40 PM
blackchr05 - 2011-06-20 2:26 PM

whew! For a minute there I thought you you had sworn off martinis too!
yeah, I've done that on occasion as well, sort of a mind-over-matter kind of thing. Alcohol, caffiene, bread, etc. 45 days without bread was the toughest, believe it or not. I found it very hard to consume enough butter without it...

had a good 3 hour/1.25 hour brick Saturday, then "active recovery" yesterday. This morning was a tougher-than-expected 2:30 endurance pace run. We have been desperate for rain in the south, which we finally got over the past couple of days, thank goodness - it sent the humidity through the roof though.

haha on the martinis

Rusty - Good job on the brick and run - Hopefully training in the heat and humidity will make LP weather seem like a treat!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112