Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 10:35 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 6:54 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 9:13 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 4:47 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 4:12 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 12:37 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 2:20 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 10:17 PM  Any thoughts on how to correct this? 

do some 50's, 100's and/or 300's hard on short rest.

and bilateral breathing is way overrated.  edit for clarification ... its a great tool for knowing whats going on around you,  but learn how to site properly and you'll be just as good.

I think there is a benefit to bilateral breathing. Every frickin' coach that sees me swim suggests it to even out my stroke....my right pull is like superman's and my left is like Minnie Mouse.  I try to do some of it at the beginning or end of every swim.

I have always done it... learned it that way as a kid (and have encouraged my kids to do it too). I definitely "favor" one side -- naturally I will breathe to the left (and if you lay me down on my stomach, the left is the side my head naturally turns). But if I were only to breathe only left, then I do end up getting a more lop-sided stroke, and it becomes more lurching/lunge-like, if that makes sense. Is that bad? Not necessarily -- if you watch the Olympic swimmers you'll notice many of the sprint/mid-distance (400M) swimmers breathe to one side primarily and do have a stroke that is more lunge-like. The distance swimmers (1500M) tend to breathe bilaterally more. Why? Dunno. Maybe they are putting in so much more freestyle yardage that it is more comfortable. Oftentimes mid-distance swimmers have a stroke or IM specialty so they aren't putting in as much freestyle during workouts, or they are getting that "stroke balance" (i.e. not being lopsided) with other strokes.

Does it matter for triathlon? Likely not, unless you are noticing some pain or repetitive stress injuries due to favoring one side, or you swim super crooked due to your stroke being lopsided. It doesn't matter what the peeps around you are doing in OWS, so bi-lateral breathing to check out your competition is not relevant (as you would do in a pool, perhaps) , what matters is that you are taking the straightest line forward that you can.

Linda (Havin'Fun), would you agree??

you don't think keeping an eye out for feet to draft off matters?  not that breathing left and right is required for this.

I said AROUND, not IN FRONT OF.

Sheesh.

2011-01-21 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3314660

User image

Master
2011-01-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3312529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 8:17 PM so I had my first Masters Swim session for year today.  got my butt kicked and my coach pointed out two areas for improvement: 1) keep my head level & still will little movement while taking a breath. 2) dropping my left shoulder during the catch

I mainly breath on my right side, so I naturally drop my left arm as I take a breath on my right side.  My coach suggested trying to point my left thumb down when I enter my left arm for the catch.  It seems to work, but I feel like it's straining my left shoulder a lot.. Any thoughts on how to correct this?  I'm sure bilateral breathing would help, but I'm still a WIP on this and that's a different story..

I mainly breathe on my left so for the past 8weeks I have re training myself to breathe bilaterally or every 3 strokes. Finally after about 7weeks it is finally starting to become natural still not as smooth as it should be but getting better. just keep trying and it will come when you least expect it.
2011-01-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Elite
san francisco
You guys are crazy. *shaking head back and forth*
2011-01-21 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
I probably could have handled this much better, but I didn't guess I hit a boiling point.

What happened I was just beginning my lunch hour work out (cycling) as I was riding north I was going against a 27mph headwind so I couldn't go as fast I would of liked 10-13mph if I was lucky. Anyway in Colorado we as cyclist have a 3' buffer for vehicles to pass. Well this pickup passed me within 12-15" then makes a right hand turn in front of me luckily I couldn't ride as fast as usually do. as he passes me I just raised up my hands in questioning gesture no obscenities, he hits the brakes and jumps out of his pickup and I wheel my bike around and un-clip as he starts yelling at that I have to follow the same laws as a vehicle and I yelled back stating I was. Before I could get my explanation in he swears jumps back into his vehicle and leaves. Which is probably a good thing for me since he was twice my size.

I would like to redo that situation in a more calm manner.

I can understand why drivers are frustrated with cyclist with riders running stop signs and lights and so on cutting in and out of traffic.

I hate to say it but would love to see more tickets for cyclist who break the traffic laws.

But as a cyclist I see the frustration the lack of common courtesy and knowledge of cycling laws in their own states

2011-01-22 2:12 AM

User image

Veteran
New York
Thanks for all the good tips and insight. Much appreciated.

I've done many of the drills (sculling, catch up, shark fin), but always had trouble with sinking.  I'll try the fins for sure. Fins make my foot cramp up. 

completely agree that sighting is more important than bilateral breathing.  My coach is getting me to work on this more to even out my stroke on both sides.  He says I have a "sprinter's stroke because I have a non rhythmic stroke.  Meaning, my power comes from my right side and I "recover" on my left side.  So the evening out will help me become more efficient for longer distances.

Great discussion! 

2011-01-22 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3314719

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fowlmood - 2011-01-21 10:40 PM I probably could have handled this much better, but I didn't guess I hit a boiling point.

What happened I was just beginning my lunch hour work out (cycling) as I was riding north I was going against a 27mph headwind so I couldn't go as fast I would of liked 10-13mph if I was lucky. Anyway in Colorado we as cyclist have a 3' buffer for vehicles to pass. Well this pickup passed me within 12-15" then makes a right hand turn in front of me luckily I couldn't ride as fast as usually do. as he passes me I just raised up my hands in questioning gesture no obscenities, he hits the brakes and jumps out of his pickup and I wheel my bike around and un-clip as he starts yelling at that I have to follow the same laws as a vehicle and I yelled back stating I was. Before I could get my explanation in he swears jumps back into his vehicle and leaves. Which is probably a good thing for me since he was twice my size.

I can understand why drivers are frustrated with cyclist with riders running stop signs and lights and so on cutting in and out of traffic.

I hate to say it but would love to see more tickets for cyclist who break the traffic laws.

But as a cyclist I see the frustration the lack of common courtesy and knowledge of cycling laws in their own states

We have the same law and brush-bys happen all the time, especially on the IM course.  My riding partner reacts the same way you did and it actually just makes the truckers laugh even more as they drive by.  I don't react at all, I don't give them the satisfaction.  I have a side view mirror, know the buttheads are coming and am ready to hit the ditch to avoid getting killed.

Until these idiots get actual $$ fines and jail time for hitting a cyclist, I don't think things will change. 
2011-01-22 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3314813

User image

Champion
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 2:12 AM Thanks for all the good tips and insight. Much appreciated.

I've done many of the drills (sculling, catch up, shark fin), but always had trouble with sinking.  I'll try the fins for sure. Fins make my foot cramp up. 

completely agree that sighting is more important than bilateral breathing.  My coach is getting me to work on this more to even out my stroke on both sides.  He says I have a "sprinter's stroke because I have a non rhythmic stroke.  Meaning, my power comes from my right side and I "recover" on my left side.  So the evening out will help me become more efficient for longer distances.

Great discussion! 

FWIW, I wore my fins for drills yesterday and barely kicked, worked like a charm. NO CRAMPS.  They gave me the balance I need to really focus on the drill.  I'm guessing you and I must look a lot alot alike in the water   I'm going to keep at bilateral breathing even if it is for warm up and cool down only......can't hurt.
2011-01-22 6:12 AM

User image

Veteran
New York
All I have to say is wow!!!!!! The Trek SC is a beast!!! Rode 70km today on the new ride.  What a world of difference between my Equinox 7 and the SC.  It's like upgrading a pinto with a maserati.  I was going faster with less effort than the old bike.  I'll have to put some more miles on it to confirm this.

The technology in this bike is well worth the $$$.   

My final bike set up:

2011-01-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3314852

User image

Champion
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 6:12 AM All I have to say is wow!!!!!! The Trek SC is a beast!!! Rode 70km today on the new ride.  What a world of difference between my Equinox 7 and the SC.  It's like upgrading a pinto with a maserati.  I was going faster with less effort than the old bike.  I'll have to put some more miles on it to confirm this.

My final bike set up:

WOW...love the color scheme. Very sharp
What's the hdyration system on the down tube?
2011-01-22 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3314860

User image

Veteran
New York
SSMinnow - 2011-01-22 8:30 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 6:12 AM All I have to say is wow!!!!!! The Trek SC is a beast!!! Rode 70km today on the new ride.  What a world of difference between my Equinox 7 and the SC.  It's like upgrading a pinto with a maserati.  I was going faster with less effort than the old bike.  I'll have to put some more miles on it to confirm this.

Thanks Suzy! This bike makes me want to get out and ride everyday .

The hydration system is the Bontrager's Speed Bottle with Carbon Cage 

2011-01-22 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3314862

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 7:40 AM

How about the bento box...what kind is that - looks big.  And what is that behind the seatpost tube?  Is that another storage box or just part of the frame?

Awesome looking big.  Enjoy it!
2011-01-22 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3314883

User image

Veteran
New York
gdale - 2011-01-22 9:07 PM

How about the bento box...what kind is that - looks big.  And what is that behind the seatpost tube?  Is that another storage box or just part of the frame?

Awesome looking big.  Enjoy it!

It's a bento box aka "speed box" made specifically for the SC. The size isn't as big as it seems in the pic.  It's a hard case, so I like it much more than the original bento box.  I used that for my Equinox and it was so flimsy.  

Behind the seatpost tube is what Trek calls the "draft" box which is fancy for storage box.  I keep my spare tub, CO2, repair kit in their.  Not much room for anything else.  According to Trek, the draft box actually improves the aerodynamics of the bike more than without it.. I think it's their way to get consumers to spend some extra $$$.  It's included in all 9 series models.. 
2011-01-22 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
that's an awesome looking bike man! 
2011-01-22 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 7:12 AM All I have to say is wow!!!!!! The Trek SC is a beast!!! Rode 70km today on the new ride.  What a world of difference between my Equinox 7 and the SC.  It's like upgrading a pinto with a maserati.  I was going faster with less effort than the old bike.  I'll have to put some more miles on it to confirm this.

My final bike set up:

Very nice.  That is a super fast bike, hehe now I get to nitpick.Laughing

Super aero bike, ditch the rear hydration, it's an air hog.  Investigate the specialized water bottle and put it on the seat tube.  You might be able to get it to fit perfectly in the triangle to make a faring a 'la P4.  If you need another water bottle check out the torpedo mount and put it between the aero bars.

Where are those cables going from the aero-bars, not sure where the internal routing starts on the bike but could you hide the exposed cables behind the bars?  They seem to be sticking out in the wind there.

Oh and always for pictures put it in the big ring '; )
2011-01-22 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3314719

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fowlmood - 2011-01-21 11:40 PM I probably could have handled this much better, but I didn't guess I hit a boiling point.

I don't see anything wrong with what you did?  I would have explained to him about what he did was illegal to pass that closely and that you both have a right to be on the road.

I mean it's one thing if you were doing something stupid or were at fault.  LOL just always keep the bike betwen you and him, makes a nice weapon if you need it.

2011-01-22 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3314893

User image

Veteran
New York

dalessit - 2011-01-22 9:22 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 7:12 AM All I have to say is wow!!!!!! The Trek SC is a beast!!! Rode 70km today on the new ride.  What a world of difference between my Equinox 7 and the SC.  It's like upgrading a pinto with a maserati.  I was going faster with less effort than the old bike.  I'll have to put some more miles on it to confirm this.

My final bike set up:

Super aero bike, ditch the rear hydration, it's an air hog.  Investigate the specialized water bottle and put it on the seat tube.  You might be able to get it to fit perfectly in the triangle to make a faring a 'la P4.  If you need another water bottle check out the torpedo mount and put it between the aero bars.

Where are those cables going from the aero-bars, not sure where the internal routing starts on the bike but could you hide the exposed cables behind the bars?  They seem to be sticking out in the wind there.

Thanks for the tips.

Funny you mention the big ring... after all the money I spent on the bike, my mechanic messed  up the cable tension on the front derailleur, so while riding the first 5k this morning I couldn't shift to the big ring.  I thought it was the shifters or maybe I didn't know how to use the R2C.  I was so focused on shifting that I veered over a gutter and almost crashed.  yeessshh.

some other angles of the bike:

2011-01-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3314813

User image

Extreme Veteran
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-22 3:12 AM Thanks for all the good tips and insight. Much appreciated.

Great discussion! 

not sure if someone already mentioned this, head position may cause your lower body to sink, if you're looking forward vs down you may sink.  Also if it's because you have bad swim posture try putting a kick board between your legs so part of it sticks out and part of it is in the water and lay flat and float (and make yourself as long as possible).  then try some of your upper body drills (the ones you don't have to think about and very good at) with the kick board between the legs.  Don't use a swim buoy.  The kick board will help you squeeze the butt muscles and help develop your lower core muscles to keep your posture in the swim.  core muscles are key..
2011-01-22 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

My final bike set up:

I'm freakin' jealous....  Sweet ride!

2011-01-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3314660

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 10:48 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 10:35 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 6:54 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 9:13 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 4:47 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-21 4:12 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-21 12:37 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-21 2:20 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-20 10:17 PM  Any thoughts on how to correct this? 

do some 50's, 100's and/or 300's hard on short rest.

and bilateral breathing is way overrated.  edit for clarification ... its a great tool for knowing whats going on around you,  but learn how to site properly and you'll be just as good.

I love the witty repartee in this group.

2011-01-22 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Tuffli:  Totally awesome looking machine you have there. (envious)

2011-01-22 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
I am finaly back from the dead.  I have never been this sick in my life.  I finaly woke up this morning with a clear head and ready to do normal activities.  I hope to do a short easy trainer ride this afternoon to get my legs going again, they feel pretty weak.  I've lost some weight, mostly dehydration, so lots of water drinking untill I get back to normal weight and fat percentage.  I'll take it easy for next few days until I feel ready to push hard again. 

Too many pages to read, hope I didn't miss anything important.  I did notice the new girl in the group, sweet!!!  I wish I could afford one, I have to stick with my used roady.

Cheers,
2011-01-22 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
glad you're feeling better Sylvain! 
2011-01-22 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3314913

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2011-01-22 9:22 PM

My final bike set up:

Thanks for the tips.

Funny you mention the big ring... after all the money I spent on the bike, my mechanic messed  up the cable tension on the front derailleur, so while riding the first 5k this morning I couldn't shift to the big ring.  I thought it was the shifters or maybe I didn't know how to use the R2C.  I was so focused on shifting that I veered over a gutter and almost crashed.  yeessshh.

some other angles of the bike:

Are you 100% SRAM?  Reason I ask is I had RTCs on my RU with Shimano and it did not work at all.....I ended up getting rid of the RTCs and getting DI2s instead.....
2011-01-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3315360

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-22 12:31 PM glad you're feeling better Sylvain! 

X2!  take it easy today!  it's the weekend. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171