BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-03-23 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED

+1 on foam rollers.  They work.  Also don't forget stretching after every workout.   Take the time.  It pays in the long run.  

+1 on the fact it could be a cramp too.  Electrolytes are a must the most you push.   Try a sports drink like Hammer Heed after the workout, not just during and/or use something like Hammer Recoverite after.  I've been using it and I thought I recovered fine before.  This really puts me in a great place. Hard bike ride last night, ready to go again right now.

Also icing right after the workout is really a good idea.  I have some of those ice packs that you can strap on places...I use a couple afterward as I sit and eat and 20 mins later I can notice a difference.

It helped me to start thinking of stretching, icing and rollers and not recovering from this workout, but preparing for the next. 

2011-03-23 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Morning all!  I had a great speed workout at the track last night.  I was scheduled to do 2x1600 at 11:31 pace (yes, that's speedwork for me Tongue out) but ended up doing them each in 11:01!  I'm very happy with that result.  It makes me feel good about my chances of setting a new PR in my 5k this weekend. 

My DD has her first track meet of the season this afternoon.  She'll be running in the 800 and the mile.  She's a little worried because her legs have been hurting some this week and she's afraid that after running the 800 she'll have trouble with the mile race.  She's also been having some trouble with her breathing.  She has a mild case of exercise-induced asthma and also when she gets nervous/worried/etc her vocal cords tend to close up which makes it even harder for her to breathe.  She had some real problems in XC season because of it, but we're hoping that since these are shorter races she'll be OK.  Any good vibes you guys could send her way, would be much appreciated!

I've got a bike ride on the schedule today but not sure if I'll get it done.  If I do, it'll probably have to be at the gym.  The temps are nice now, but a cold front is coming through and by tonight it's going to be COLD again.  It's also my DH's birthday so I may skip the workout and just spend the evening with him. 

2011-03-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3410185

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
soccermom15 - 2011-03-23 8:51 AM

Morning all!  I had a great speed workout at the track last night.  I was scheduled to do 2x1600 at 11:31 pace (yes, that's speedwork for me Tongue out) but ended up doing them each in 11:01!  I'm very happy with that result.  It makes me feel good about my chances of setting a new PR in my 5k this weekend. 

Good job!  (Psst...don't "discount" your accomplishments...speedwork is relative, so if you were pushing like you're supposed to, take credit for it)

My DD has her first track meet of the season this afternoon.  She'll be running in the 800 and the mile.  She's a little worried because her legs have been hurting some this week and she's afraid that after running the 800 she'll have trouble with the mile race.  She's also been having some trouble with her breathing.  She has a mild case of exercise-induced asthma and also when she gets nervous/worried/etc her vocal cords tend to close up which makes it even harder for her to breathe.  She had some real problems in XC season because of it, but we're hoping that since these are shorter races she'll be OK.  Any good vibes you guys could send her way, would be much appreciated!

You can pass along this advice to her:  Focus on the positive.  She gets to run two races and she knows she'll run two races.  Once the gun goes off, she'll forget (for a minute or 6) the sore legs from earlier in the week.  Also, as part of focusing on the positive, take a couple minutes before each race to meditate and relax.  Being anxious about breathing will make her tense which will make the breathing issues more likely to show up.  She needs to banish those thoughts and replace them with calm/relaxing ones.  If it's hard to breathe, slow down, and now you can relax knowing that you've got a plan if you have a problem.  Problem solved, relax, run a good race! 

I've got a bike ride on the schedule today but not sure if I'll get it done.  If I do, it'll probably have to be at the gym.  The temps are nice now, but a cold front is coming through and by tonight it's going to be COLD again.  It's also my DH's birthday so I may skip the workout and just spend the evening with him. 

Wish DH a happy birthday.  Sometimes, family is more important than an arbitrarily scheduled training session. 

2011-03-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3409665

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Buffedstuff - 2011-03-22 9:34 PM

Hello team,

am less than a week away from marathon. It is going to be a beautiful experience. I enjoy being surrounded by people who know they are Champions. The Champions who know it press past, failure, fear, doubt, obstacles, and anxiety to realize their dreams. They put in the painful hours, the hard work and they forgo instant gratification in order to experience ultimate satisfaction.

Then of course there are the Champions that haven't realized it yet. They are too afraid to fail, they are still controlled by emotions and notions, that tell them that they cannot do it. They cling to excuses and settle for less, unaware of all the greatness that wants to erupt from within. My prayer ,for those who do not know that they are Champions, is that they will open up their eyes before the time meter on life expires. May they share all of their greatness with the rest of us. My prayer for those who know they are Champions is that they will continue to improve, discover and become.

Life really is like a marathon, we each have our own race to run. Our own challenges to overcome. We have to discover what techniques work best and which do not. Some will finish the race, others will drop out, some will stand on the sideline cheering and others will simply dream about it and never get started.

Run your own race people, never give up on your dreams,and don't let anyone snatch your hope. You will always be a Champion whether you realize it or not.

.....Realize it!

Thank you Buff  - I needed that today! Have a great taper week!

2011-03-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3409912

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
stephsprint - 2011-03-23 4:29 AM Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though! Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.

PAM SPRAY
2011-03-23 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

STEPH-  x2 on PAM SPRAY. Its safe to use, it wont deteriorate the wet suit material. There are a lot of step by step instructional videos on UTube about the best way to get out of a wet suit quickly. Its way easier on race day because of the adrenalin! Also, they are much more comfortable when you're horizontal swimming then when you are standing in them.

JANET- congrats on rock'n your speed sesh! Its so amazing to blow way past your expectations!!! You are going to KILL the 5K! What is your goal time to PR?

Ree-along with rolling,  I would also add some l o n g calf stretchs every day, hold a deep calf stretch for one full minute, until you feel it begin to release.

2011-03-23 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Had planned on doing a ride after work today.  Got off work and it was yucky and windy so really lost all motivation and was thinking about scrapping it all together.  McFuzz told me to just do what I could, but that might not have been enough to get me out the door.  All the way home a little voice in my head was saying "I never regret the workouts I do only the ones I don't"  I'm crediting Anne Marie for saying it in a couple of her posts so if it was someone else I apologize.  But because of that little voice I got on the bike and did a 40 minute ride and was very glad I did.

So thanks for all of the positive up beat posts.  You never know when something you say is going to come back to help keep someone motivated

2011-03-23 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3411385

User image

Master
Orlando
GmrGirl - 2011-03-23 6:34 PM

Had planned on doing a ride after work today.  Got off work and it was yucky and windy so really lost all motivation and was thinking about scrapping it all together.  McFuzz told me to just do what I could, but that might not have been enough to get me out the door.  All the way home a little voice in my head was saying "I never regret the workouts I do only the ones I don't"  I'm crediting Anne Marie for saying it in a couple of her posts so if it was someone else I apologize.  But because of that little voice I got on the bike and did a 40 minute ride and was very glad I did.

So thanks for all of the positive up beat posts.  You never know when something you say is going to come back to help keep someone motivated

Glad I could contribute something and glad it worked for you! 

Ann-Marie

2011-03-23 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3411385

User image

Longview, Texas
GmrGirl - 2011-03-23 7:34 PM

Funny,

I was thinking the same this morning when the alarm clock went off at 4:30, but stayed in bed and then took the running shoes and shorts to work to stop at gym before getting home.

2011-03-23 9:58 PM

Veteran

*** Update on my leg ***

Last night my hubby rubbed out my leg.  It felt so much better today!!  I will stretch really good, and normally do before workouts.  Must of been a fluke.  I didn't take anything today before my attempt at running. My running wasn't so hot, I've been fighting a chest cold. Undecided That's ok, tomorrow is a new day, and like a true soldier I will continue to march on!Smile

Since I'm going to be training so hard I went on Monday to get blood work done to check everything out.  They check Cholesterol, Kidneys, Thyroid, Heart, Sugar etc. I got my test back, and everythings good!!! Tongue out 

On a side note:  We want to be prepared for our races to come, with no shocker roo's, so keep strong on your workouts! - Maria

2011-03-23 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

stephsprint - 2011-03-23 6:29 AM Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though! Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.

After I put my wetsuit on, I roll up the sleeves and legs then use Glide all around my wrist and forearms as well as my calves and ankles when I want to take it off in a hurry (like during a race.)

That thing will flop off like a greased pig with a little Glide and some adrenaline.  My wetsuit is usually inside out once I get it off, but that can be fixed after the race.

2011-03-24 1:16 AM
in reply to: #3409665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Buffedstuff - 2011-03-22 7:34 PM

Hello team,

am less than a week away from marathon. It is going to be a beautiful experience. I enjoy being surrounded by people who know they are Champions. The Champions who know it press past, failure, fear, doubt, obstacles, and anxiety to realize their dreams. They put in the painful hours, the hard work and they forgo instant gratification in order to experience ultimate satisfaction.

Then of course there are the Champions that haven't realized it yet. They are too afraid to fail, they are still controlled by emotions and notions, that tell them that they cannot do it. They cling to excuses and settle for less, unaware of all the greatness that wants to erupt from within. My prayer ,for those who do not know that they are Champions, is that they will open up their eyes before the time meter on life expires. May they share all of their greatness with the rest of us. My prayer for those who know they are Champions is that they will continue to improve, discover and become.

Life really is like a marathon, we each have our own race to run. Our own challenges to overcome. We have to discover what techniques work best and which do not. Some will finish the race, others will drop out, some will stand on the sideline cheering and others will simply dream about it and never get started.

Run your own race people, never give up on your dreams,and don't let anyone snatch your hope. You will always be a Champion whether you realize it or not.

.....Realize it!

Thanks for the post.  Good stuff!

2011-03-24 1:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Got a good swim in today.  2450 yds without feet cramps.  Very happy about that. 

One more run tomorrow, an easy one, before my race on Sunday.  And the weather looks like it may be good, too. It's been raining cats and dogs over here in California.  I hope it breaks and the sun comes out on race day.  That would really be awesome.

Good luck to everyone who has a race this weekend. 

2011-03-24 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3411638

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ree - 2011-03-23 10:58 PM

*** Update on my leg ***

Last night my hubby rubbed out my leg.  It felt so much better today!!  I will stretch really good, and normally do before workouts.  Must of been a fluke.  I didn't take anything today before my attempt at running. My running wasn't so hot, I've been fighting a chest cold. Undecided That's ok, tomorrow is a new day, and like a true soldier I will continue to march on!Smile

Since I'm going to be training so hard I went on Monday to get blood work done to check everything out.  They check Cholesterol, Kidneys, Thyroid, Heart, Sugar etc. I got my test back, and everythings good!!! Tongue out 

On a side note:  We want to be prepared for our races to come, with no shocker roo's, so keep strong on your workouts! - Maria

Good! I did the same thing, after all... who wants to konck out on the people who are trying to help? Good on your hubs!
2011-03-24 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3411674

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-23 11:29 PM

stephsprint - 2011-03-23 6:29 AM Received my wetsuit yesterday. I got into it, and I got out of it. I can't imagine going through that soaking wet and tired though. It is one thing I can practice with a sore foot though! Any tips? I look like a gingerbread person in it, btw. not pretty.

After I put my wetsuit on, I roll up the sleeves and legs then use Glide all around my wrist and forearms as well as my calves and ankles when I want to take it off in a hurry (like during a race.)

That thing will flop off like a greased pig with a little Glide and some adrenaline.  My wetsuit is usually inside out once I get it off, but that can be fixed after the race.

Thanks! Now if I could just become inspired to work out.

I have a serious job issue happening and I've used it as an excuse to come home and drink a couple beers MonTuesWeds this week. This morning I overslept. It feels good to sleep though. I can't believe I'm looking for a job! The workouts would help me with the stress...but I'm just not getting out of bed. Haven't done anything since saturday. I have done some very serious networking and have submitted all the data to the resume service, so it's not like I'm not doing anything.. BUT, workouts feel so much better!

The wetsuit advice is great! I had no idea that PAM was the trick! I'm not sure I've ever purchased the stuff! I bought a sleeveless on the advice of a friend. I'm claustrophobic so the long sleeves would have sent me into the "bad orbit".

I'm going back into the bedroom right now and setting the alarm.... does it HAVE to be 4:30?
2011-03-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3411824

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Steph I totally know how you feel.... I've had days this week where I've been down, had some drinks, and not gotten the quality workouts I needed too... but there's days/weeks like that. We all have them. Just dust yourself off and try again ps sleep is GOOD!!

2011-03-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3411748

User image

New user
USA
ecpasos - 2011-03-24 12:23 AM

Got a good swim in today.  2450 yds without feet cramps.  Very happy about that. 

One more run tomorrow, an easy one, before my race on Sunday.  And the weather looks like it may be good, too. It's been raining cats and dogs over here in California.  I hope it breaks and the sun comes out on race day.  That would really be awesome.

Good luck to everyone who has a race this weekend. 

Hey thanks for sharing some kindness, I wish you well on your race on Sunday. May you exceed all of your expectations and may you be blessed with beautiful weather.

2011-03-24 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3413263

User image

New user
USA
Enjoy the remainder of your week all Smile
2011-03-25 7:26 AM

User image

Elite
TGIF McFuzzies!!!  This week has flown by.  It seems I went to bed Monday and woke up Friday!  Love it!  Good luck to any racers this weekend!  I'm pretty excited about my weekend:  girls have been invited on a camping trip the whole weekend, hubby is traveling for softball...that leaves me with a weekend to myself!  Is it wrong to be so excited about being alone?!  I will be helping run the Micaela Costanzo Memorial Track Meet tomorrow (the girl that was killed was a trackster) but that's all I have on my agenda!  Well, that and training of course! 

Edited by ingleshteechur 2011-03-25 7:26 AM
2011-03-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3413539

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-25 8:26 AM TGIF McFuzzies!!!  This week has flown by.  It seems I went to bed Monday and woke up Friday!  Love it!  Good luck to any racers this weekend!  I'm pretty excited about my weekend:  girls have been invited on a camping trip the whole weekend, hubby is traveling for softball...that leaves me with a weekend to myself!  Is it wrong to be so excited about being alone?!  I will be helping run the Micaela Costanzo Memorial Track Meet tomorrow (the girl that was killed was a trackster) but that's all I have on my agenda!  Well, that and training of course! 

I LOVE the rare weekends alone. I had one in the last two years and it was divineI'm taking off training today to finish a work project, tomorrow I'll bike some loops in the park and sunday its back to running

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND McFUZZIES

Good luck on your race BUFF!

2011-03-25 12:31 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

Happy Friday Everyone!!

Good Luck for the ones racing this weekend...

Took a extra day off today, ran and bike at gym. now cleaning up the house, laundry and dishes (so much for an extra day off :-P)

My little girl is turning 8 today so I'm ready for a party... :-)

2011-03-25 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

TGIF  everyone!

I'm happy to say adios to this week as it has been crazy busy and a bit frustrating.  It is now spring break YEAH! I need a week off.  Not going anywhere, just getting stuff done at home.

Now off to do my PT exercises.

2011-03-26 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Buffed – good luck with your marathon tomorrow!!

Ecpasos – good luck with your race tomorrow too!!  Hope you get good weather for it.

Steph – sorry about the work issue.  I hope things work out for you soon. 

Kim – I envy you your weekend alone!  I’ve actually got about half the day to myself today – DH is off helping a friend and DD is volunteering with the Humane Society.  It doesn’t happen often and I’m enjoying the peace and quiet. 

DD did well at her track meet on Wednesday.  She ran 7:14 for the mile which was good for 8th place (out of 17).  Times were slow all around due to the 40+ mph winds that day.  I'm surprised some of the smaller girls didn't get knocked over, the wind was so strong.  She also ran the 4x800 relay and her team came in first!  It was a good start to the season for her. 

Well, it's snowing (I thought spring was supposed to be here?) and I have a race in the morning.  Weatherman says anywhere from 1-5" - depending on where you live - by tomorrow morning.  We'll probably be on the lower end of that.  I hope it at least melts on the roads.  I've run races in the rain before but never in snow.  I was hoping to set a new PR in this race (current PR is 30:28 set at this race last year) and if possible go under 30 min but if things are slippery I may have to abandon that idea.  I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2011-03-26 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Had my first race today and it went very very well.  Was the CIDA 5K race.  I hit all 3 of my goals!!!!!!!  1) I finished the race 2) I didn't walk at all (even when the shoe came untied on the last .15 miles) 3) Did a sub 35 minutes race. (waiting for official race times but time was lower 34 minutes)  I am extremely happy with the race and pretty much walking on cloud 9.  Makes those days when I first started and couldn't even run .25 miles without walking completely worth it   Will do a race report when official results are posted.
2011-03-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3415510

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-03-26 3:03 PM

Had my first race today and it went very very well.  Was the CIDA 5K race.  I hit all 3 of my goals!!!!!!!  1) I finished the race 2) I didn't walk at all (even when the shoe came untied on the last .15 miles) 3) Did a sub 35 minutes race. (waiting for official race times but time was lower 34 minutes)  I am extremely happy with the race and pretty much walking on cloud 9.  Makes those days when I first started and couldn't even run .25 miles without walking completely worth it   Will do a race report when official results are posted.

I AM SO THRILLED FOR YOU! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106