BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-05-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4208331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
TriAya - 2012-05-14 10:20 AM
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-14 10:14 PM
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 8:52 AM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-11 6:18 PM Janyne, aren't you doing a big swim this weekend as well? 

The swim went really well.  I was surprised.  I mean, I was still BOP but I had over a six minute -- almost seven minutes -- improvement over last year.  This is major for me and I feel like all of the swimming and lessons and stuff are paying off. 

In fact, becoming a MOP swimming is starting to seem like it might be realistic!  Woo hoo!

It was a big training weekend for me (swim + 4 hour bike on Saturday, bike + long run brick plus swim on Sunday) and I was away from the computer.  I'll be catching up on the Manatee Action this morning.

Nice job, Janyne! On the OWS and all those training miles. Vineman's not going to know what hit it! 

Now, what is BOP and MOP?

I LOVE THAT QUESTION! This is how I answered it recently:

Yanti Yanti BOP Banti banana-nana FOP Fanti ... FOFOP fee Fanti! Yanti!

BOP chicked-a BOP BOP MBOP BBOP a FOP MOP MOP!

I hope that clears everything up.

FOP = Front Of Pack, MOP = Middle Of Pack, BOP = Back Of Pack

Subjective terms but when used in re. a race, to signify where you generally ranked overall.

Well I hope your happy, Yanti, I'm sitting at my desk singing the "banana-fana song" in my head.  I have a feeling it won't leave willingly...~!

2012-05-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4208651

User image

Pennsylvania
rrrunner - 2012-05-14 12:30 PM

Well the race organizers still don't have the results posted so I will give you all a couple of hi-lites/lo-lites.  During the run I got the dreaded side cramp.  Was fine up the first hill (I practice those) then when it started to descend the cramp struck.  So pulled out a little WWCD, some WWSD and a lot of HTFU put my fingers in my side and kept moving.  My time did suffer some, but I'm happy I kept moving.  The bike was pretty un-eventful. Then on the swim (this is a reverse tri) when I jumped in I think I was still winded from the bike and run in to the pool so I couldn't get into my normal breathing pattern.  About 25 meters in (50 meter pool) I pulled out some WWYD and some HTFU, got a grip and forced myself into my normal breathing pattern.  Once I got that it got much better.  I liked the 50 meter pool because I could get into a nice groove (maybe even some smooth) before I had to stop.  I actually passed people in the swim!!!! (granted some of them were doing some very... um unconventional... strokes. 

Thank you Yanti and Salty for being in my head yesterday! My total time was just under an hour and a half and I am happy with my progress toward my A race in 4 weeks!

Oh and my runner-son gave me some ideas for getting rid of those stupid side cramps.

Great job, TJ, in spite of the side cramp. Sounds like you have a good handle on the mental aspect of triathlon, too, with all those POSITIVE voices in your head.  Nicely done!!!  

2012-05-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4208731

User image

Pennsylvania
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-14 1:11 PM
TriAya - 2012-05-14 10:20 AM

I LOVE THAT QUESTION! This is how I answered it recently:

Yanti Yanti BOP Banti banana-nana FOP Fanti ... FOFOP fee Fanti! Yanti!

BOP chicked-a BOP BOP MBOP BBOP a FOP MOP MOP!

I hope that clears everything up.

FOP = Front Of Pack, MOP = Middle Of Pack, BOP = Back Of Pack

Subjective terms but when used in re. a race, to signify where you generally ranked overall.

Well I hope your happy, Yanti, I'm sitting at my desk singing the "banana-fana song" in my head.  I have a feeling it won't leave willingly...~!

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!  It's the naaa-aaame gaaa-aaame!!   And yes, the 'infection' has spread to my mental ear as well...

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-14 12:14 PM
2012-05-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4208231

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-14 8:47 AM

It's official - according to my definition, I AM A TRIATHLETE!!! I had a really good race yesterday (other than the swim, OMG ugh!! Hello sidestroke, I love you because I can breath while I do you!) and had a great time, which is what mattered most to me. We had perfect weather, warm but not hot, and overcast. i just finished my RR. I finished 250m swim, 10 mile bike, 3.5 mile run and 2 transitions in 1:22:22! I was 127 out of 250, not too shabby! And if I was still 29, I would have won my age group (there was only one woman in 25-29, but 13 women in 30-34, of which I was 11th).

So, I've got some work to do on the swim and I'll really need to step up with some brick work to help me improve my run time, but my goal was to get through the swim, average over 15pmh on the bike and run 35 minutes or faster, so all goals met! Laughing

Very, very nice work! All goals met? It doesn't get ANY better than that!!! Yaaay!

2012-05-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4208651

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-05-14 11:30 AM

Well the race organizers still don't have the results posted so I will give you all a couple of hi-lites/lo-lites.  During the run I got the dreaded side cramp.  Was fine up the first hill (I practice those) then when it started to descend the cramp struck.  So pulled out a little WWCD, some WWSD and a lot of HTFU put my fingers in my side and kept moving.  My time did suffer some, but I'm happy I kept moving.  The bike was pretty un-eventful. Then on the swim (this is a reverse tri) when I jumped in I think I was still winded from the bike and run in to the pool so I couldn't get into my normal breathing pattern.  About 25 meters in (50 meter pool) I pulled out some WWYD and some HTFU, got a grip and forced myself into my normal breathing pattern.  Once I got that it got much better.  I liked the 50 meter pool because I could get into a nice groove (maybe even some smooth) before I had to stop.  I actually passed people in the swim!!!! (granted some of them were doing some very... um unconventional... strokes. 

Thank you Yanti and Salty for being in my head yesterday! My total time was just under an hour and a half and I am happy with my progress toward my A race in 4 weeks!

Oh and my runner-son gave me some ideas for getting rid of those stupid side cramps.

Ahhhhh a nice HTFU!!!!! 

Hehehe unconventional strokes...

Anyway, great job and very exciting to see the progress before your A race! Nice work!

2012-05-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4208093

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 7:52 AM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-11 6:18 PM Janyne, aren't you doing a big swim this weekend as well? 

The swim went really well.  I was surprised.  I mean, I was still BOP but I had over a six minute -- almost seven minutes -- improvement over last year.  This is major for me and I feel like all of the swimming and lessons and stuff are paying off. 

In fact, becoming a MOP swimming is starting to seem like it might be realistic!  Woo hoo!

It was a big training weekend for me (swim + 4 hour bike on Saturday, bike + long run brick plus swim on Sunday) and I was away from the computer.  I'll be catching up on the Manatee Action this morning.

Right on! Sounds like a very successful weekend. Very cool that they have an OWS event like that. Especially so that you can see your improvements over the year. 

2012-05-14 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have a question about hydration on long runs.

Short version:   What do you use?

Long version with background information: 

I have a Nathan belt which is relatively comfy.  I have two problems with it.  (1) In the summer the belt holds the heat in.  In other words, because of the fact that it is a belt holding my shirt down, no air gets in.  This is good in the winter but not so good in the summer.  (2)  The belt rubs on my top causing it to pill.  This makes it difficult to try a potential "race shirt" (no want chaffing!)  for a long run because I don't want anything decent to get messed up. 

Neither good nor bad but the pocket holds a few gels with no problem.  That part is good but you can't get to you shirt pockets with the belt on so that is bad.

The Nathan holds 22 ounces.

Nathan Elite 1

Lisa (lisac957) has written about using her handheld and how much she loved it.  I looked into it and said, not willing to spend $20 to try one, thanks.  Then I was cleaning out my training gear and low and behold, I found a Amphipod handheld that I got as race swag a few years ago.  I had completely forgotten about it.  A few weeks ago I had a 90 minute run and I gave it a try.  Pretty decent.  A lot more comfortable than I though.  The sloshing is kind of noisy but you get used to it.  I used it again yesterday and I like it. 

I don't love the top of the bottle.  It seems a bit awkward to open up.  The bill it as "sip-to-gulp" but it's just kind of annoying.   This model holds 12 ounces of liquid.

Amphipod 12 oz hydraform handheld

That brings me to my question:  Have any of you tried a 20 oz handheld?  I like the flat design of the Amphipod and I wondering if the 20 oz is difficult (more difficult?) to carry.  I was sort of thinking of getting a 20oz Hydraform Thermal

It's not the money I just don't want a bunch of unused belts and bottles hanging around.

Thanks!

Edited by jmkizer 2012-05-14 1:43 PM
2012-05-14 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4208965

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 1:42 PM

I almost always don't bring anything with me. I go the extra effort to hydrate really well at a minimum the day before and morning of (and then of course afterwards). Most of my routes pass a water fountain or two (which I use

This actually ends up being pretty race-relevant as most of the events I run offer water every 3-5 miles or so. 

Generally it's not a problem unless I am going over 18 miles or so. If there is not a water fountain I just stop and buy a bottle and run with it. It's not much different than a hand-held in terms of feel and inconvenience, plus when I am done with it I can toss it rather than carrying an empty bottle around with me.

*If I am on a trail and there isn't water access I would just run with a disposable bottle but if you don't have anywhere to dispose of it, this is where a hand-held might be handy (get it? ha-ha)

2012-05-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4208996

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-05-14 2:58 PM

I almost always don't bring anything with me. I go the extra effort to hydrate really well at a minimum the day before and morning of (and then of course afterwards). Most of my routes pass a water fountain or two (which I use

This actually ends up being pretty race-relevant as most of the events I run offer water every 3-5 miles or so. 

Generally it's not a problem unless I am going over 18 miles or so. If there is not a water fountain I just stop and buy a bottle and run with it. It's not much different than a hand-held in terms of feel and inconvenience, plus when I am done with it I can toss it rather than carrying an empty bottle around with me.

*If I am on a trail and there isn't water access I would just run with a disposable bottle but if you don't have anywhere to dispose of it, this is where a hand-held might be handy (get it? ha-ha)

Poo!  You were supposed to have better information for me Salty!

Water fountains are not an option in my area.  They simply don't exist.

2012-05-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4209001

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 2:01 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-14 2:58 PM

Poo!  You were supposed to have better information for me Salty!

Water fountains are not an option in my area.  They simply don't exist.

Well, I think you should just go with one of the hand-helds. In my experience they all feel about the same. It sucks, but sucks less than the around the waist type. 

But go with a smaller one. I don't think 20oz is a MUST for a long run if you are welll hydrated coming into it. 

*I'm just thinking that if your only complaint is the slightly awkward top you should just keep the one you have. Especially if the other one you are looking at is the same brand. You will most likely have the same issue. 

*How long are you running? That is also relevant....and really, how much water to do you generally drink? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-05-14 2:20 PM
2012-05-14 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Well, my "long run" so far is 10 miles, so most people are probably fast enough not to need much. I drink 16 oz, however, because that's nearly two hours for me.

I agree with you about that sloshing sound; I hate it.

So far, I plan my "long" runs where I will run by a water fountain (sorry you don't have them -- we have only two, and one of those closes at 8:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m. on Sunday), or

I carry a water bottle with me and leave it at a certain point -- planning the run so that I run by that point two or three times.

For me, both of these scenarios mimic what I will do in a race -- drink from the water stops.

If I were going to be out on a point to point trail with no water on the route, I would carry the handheld (or just carry the bottle). I've not used a hydration pack or belt, and I'm not very interested in getting used to running with one.

It's a great question. I worry about hydration -- well, maybe "worry" is too strong -- I consider it when I am planning my long runs.

Edited by KansasMom 2012-05-14 2:36 PM

2012-05-14 2:38 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend.  Congrats to the Manatee racers for meeting your goals!!  I am pleased to say I completed my goal of finishing my first OLY last Saturday.  I got through the swim which always causes anxiety.  The water was in the mid 60s, so a wetsuit was recommended.  I have to admit, I really like the wetsuit.  For slower swimmers like myself, it really does make you go a little faster.  I was really pleased with swimming 1640 yards in 35 minutes.   

The bike was a bit of a struggle, but I can't complain too much.  I thought 1 hour and 25 minutes wasn't too bad for 25.6 miles.  

I don't know my run split because it was never posted, but I figured it was at least 53-54 minutes.  My overall time was 3 hours flat and 56 seconds.

I finished BOP but I was really proud that I finished and it was a lot of fun.  I got to see my sister kick major a$$ and get second overall in the ladies!!!  She did it in 2 hours 20 minutes!!!!   Amazing! 

I just need some more T.I.T.S and I'll be ready to conquer my HIM in June.

Hope everyone is having a good day.  I did a small swim after work and plan on spin class this evening.  The girls are home from school.  Time to be a mom.  

2012-05-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4208099

User image

Elite
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 7:54 AM
jobaxas - 2012-05-11 10:43 PM
jmkizer - 2012-05-11 9:08 PM

It's a training swim.  I did it last year and hope to improve -- even if it's more of an "I feel better out there" than anything else. Goodness knows that I'm not a race swimmer!  Tongue out

I did two of these in the summer, a 1.5km and a 1.3km i think - and I absolutely loved it - signing up for them both next year except the 1.3km will be the 3km full distance  Woohoo!

You are definitely a fish Jo!  You'll rock it!

I hope that your long ride went well this weekend.

Great job - aren't these events fun?  I will never be FOP for these because they are full of REAL swimmers, who don't ever think  of jumping on bikes straight after or running marathons

2012-05-14 2:58 PM

User image

Elite

Swim squad breakdown here we go....felt sluggish to start but soon smashed it up!

FINS
200m FREE BREATHE EVERY 3
200M (50M BACK/50M BREAST)
200M (25M FRONT SCULL, 25M FISTS)
200M (25M FRONT SCULL, 25M OTTER SCULL- NO KICK)
200M (8X25M FLY) - VERY CRUEL INDEED!!!!

NO FINS
8X100M at 70-80% effort

PULL AND BAND
3X200M

PULL
200M - BREATHE EVERY 3,5,7,3,5,7 ETC

4X25M SPRINTS
100M COOLDOWN

2.8KM

2012-05-14 3:00 PM

User image

Elite

I have a Nathan belt which is relatively comfy.  I have two problems with it.  (1) In the summer the belt holds the heat in.  In other words, because of the fact that it is a belt holding my shirt down, no air gets in.  This is good in the winter but not so good in the summer.  (2)  The belt rubs on my top causing it to pill.  This makes it difficult to try a potential "race shirt" (no want chaffing!)  for a long run because I don't want anything decent to get messed up. 

Neither good nor bad but the pocket holds a few gels with no problem.  That part is good but you can't get to you shirt pockets with the belt on so that is bad.

Nathan Elite 1

Lisa (lisac957) has written about using her handheld and how much she loved it.  I looked into it and said, not willing to spend $20 to try one, thanks.  Then I was cleaning out my training gear and low and behold, I found a Amphipod handheld that I got as race swag a few years ago.  I had completely forgotten about it.  A few weeks ago I had a 90 minute run and I gave it a try.  Pretty decent.  A lot more comfortable than I though.  The sloshing is kind of noisy but you get used to it.  I used it again yesterday and I like it. 

I don't love the top of the bottle.  It seems a bit awkward to open up.  The bill it as "sip-to-gulp" but it's just kind of annoying.   This model holds 12 ounces of liquid.

That brings me to my question:  Have any of you tried a 20 oz handheld?  I like the flat design of the Amphipod and I wondering if the 20 oz is difficult (more difficult?) to carry.  I was sort of thinking of getting a 20oz Hydraform Thermal

It's not the money I just don't want a bunch of unused belts and bottles hanging around.

Thanks!

I tried a handheld but ended up hurting my shoulder on distances over 15km.   I am lucky in that i run along a beach track with lots of water fountains, and also shops/gas stations where I can buy hydration.  Maybe try and map a route with these options.  Work out when you need to drink and where those stops could be.

On race day I don't think about it as it's offered every 2km.  Like Salty I hydrate the two days leading up to a long run - like a lot!!!

2012-05-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4209075

User image

Elite
cggale - 2012-05-14 2:38 PM

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend.  Congrats to the Manatee racers for meeting your goals!!  I am pleased to say I completed my goal of finishing my first OLY last Saturday.  I got through the swim which always causes anxiety.  The water was in the mid 60s, so a wetsuit was recommended.  I have to admit, I really like the wetsuit.  For slower swimmers like myself, it really does make you go a little faster.  I was really pleased with swimming 1640 yards in 35 minutes.   

The bike was a bit of a struggle, but I can't complain too much.  I thought 1 hour and 25 minutes wasn't too bad for 25.6 miles.  

I don't know my run split because it was never posted, but I figured it was at least 53-54 minutes.  My overall time was 3 hours flat and 56 seconds.

I finished BOP but I was really proud that I finished and it was a lot of fun.  I got to see my sister kick major a$$ and get second overall in the ladies!!!  She did it in 2 hours 20 minutes!!!!   Amazing! 

Hope everyone is having a good day.  I did a small swim after work and plan on spin class this evening.  The girls are home from school.  Time to be a mom.  

Well done on your first OLY - it's a long way isn't it!  I've done one and so proud though i was dead last for my age group i got through it.  Only 3 weeks til my HIM but I hope to finish and would love not to be Dead Last but someone has to be right?

2012-05-14 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4209124

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jobaxas - 2012-05-14 4:00 PM

I tried a handheld but ended up hurting my shoulder on distances over 15km.   I am lucky in that i run along a beach track with lots of water fountains, and also shops/gas stations where I can buy hydration.  Maybe try and map a route with these options.  Work out when you need to drink and where those stops could be.

On race day I don't think about it as it's offered every 2km.  Like Salty I hydrate the two days leading up to a long run - like a lot!!!

Thanks but water fountains are simply not done around here.

Hydrating before a long run is not a good option during IM training since the long run day is preceded by the long ride day.  After riding 5-6 hours, even drinking 16+ ounces per hour, you send the time between the ride and run catching up. 

I'm trying to get the gear in place leading up to the 2-3 hour runs.

2012-05-14 3:15 PM

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 11:42 AM

Nathan Elite 1

Thanks!

I have a belt similar to the Nathan.  Holds one bottle, 750ml (~25 oz?).  I wear it over my shirt, tight enough so that it doesn't rub/move.  I do wear it down on my hips, not my waist.  It took a bit of getting used to, but now I don't even know it is there.  Sometimes I use a Hydration Belt with 4-8oz bottles.  Same deal, low riding, tight enough so doesn't rub.  I could probably even just wear it over my waist band if I wanted my shirt flapping free.  The fabrics I wear tend to breathe, so don't need to worry about air flow under the shirt.  I personally don't like running with something in my hand. 

Not sure if this was helpful...

2012-05-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4209147

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jmkizer - 2012-05-14 4:08 PM

jobaxas - 2012-05-14 4:00 PM

Thanks but water fountains are simply not done around here.

Hydrating before a long run is not a good option during IM training since the long run day is preceded by the long ride day.  After riding 5-6 hours, even drinking 16+ ounces per hour, you send the time between the ride and run catching up. 

I'm trying to get the gear in place leading up to the 2-3 hour runs.

Janyne, I am a belt person for long runs. My Fuel belt wore out, and I now use an Amphipod. I use a handheld for shorter runs, given that I am in the hot and humid of Florida. My handheld is just an old bottle from the worn out Fuel Belt. I can pass it back and forth from hand to hand, which I like. I can tell you that my sis uses a handheld from Nike. She is a fan, like you she didn't like the belt. One thing I try to do is to carry more water than I need, just in case. I have been known to go for a longer run than originally planned when things just felt right. I would hate to be having a good run and have to head home due to water.

Not sure if that helps or not, but it is my $.02.
2012-05-14 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
cggale - 2012-05-14 3:38 PM

WooHoo, great job. And good job to yuor sis as well.
2012-05-14 3:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
cggale - 2012-05-14 3:38 PM

Great job and congrats on finishing your first Olympic distance and it sounds like the preparations are in line for your HIM!!     YAY!!!

2012-05-14 3:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Soooo awesome Claire! I am very proud of you! So cool that you have such a good resource in your sister. Looking forward to hearing about your journey between now and the HIM in June. 

More T.I.T.S should be the Manatee motto for the summer. I am right there with ya! 

2012-05-14 3:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Saturday I went out with a few friends to pre-ride the course of my upcoming sprint.  I got a new tri bike in March and I wanted to see how things went on the course with that bike.  This will be the 3rd year of me doing this race, previous years were on my road bike.  Things went decent; thankfully we took an easier pace since the one person was pretty much a total newbie on the bike which was fine with me because I was still blowing my nose incessantly and coughing/hacking.  I'd like to think I can at least reach my initial bike goal time even if I can't nail my dream bike time.  But I will shoot for the dream time, LOL!

Sunday was spent cleaning/organizing my house and then going over to a friend's house to fix her flat bike tire and do some grilling.  I should have done the tire when I first got there because she had this lovely growler of fresh brew...and shrimp...and chicken on the grill...and wine...out on the patio...do you see where this is heading?  Yup, my first tire change under the influence!  Didn't go too badly, I don't think.  I even managed to pull out all the, uh, sand *bleepers* she ran over in the Outer Banks that caused said flat.  Even gave the bike a nice little lube.  I guess if the tire is still holding air today I was successful!  The sand *bleepers* make little evil pin holes that cause slow leaks.  Glad we don't have them around here.

Hoping to bike on the trainer tonight (it's raining, yuck), swim tomorrow, bike a little Wed., swim a little Thur, rest Fri and pick up packet for race/prep my things for race.  And Saturday, first tri of the season!!  Can't wait!!

2012-05-14 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Wow, sounds like all our races did superbly!  Congrats to all
2012-05-14 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

That's super awesome. And congrats to your sister, too. That is blazing fast, isn't it?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81