BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-10 10:11 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by laffinrock
Originally posted by rrrunner

Judi, happy birthday!

Mary, welcome to the pod. You will find lots of support and some HTFU sprinkled in when needed. I live in New Mexico but am from Colorado and do a lot of races there (a little less this year for the sake of my marriage). As a matter of fact both my sons and I are doing the Runnin of the Green downtown with my SIL next Sunday! I've not done any of the tri's you mentioned. I've done Tri for the Cure which is an amazing beginner friendly, women only, OWS sprint. It has an incredible atmosphere! DS2 (dear son #2) and I are considering Tri Rock this year. It is out at Aurora as well.

Anyway, welcome! This is a great group and there is no such thing as a silly or stupid question.

TJ, I've thought about Tri for the Cure but thought I'd start with a smaller race instead. Just checked out Tri Rock - the sprint looks like a possibility. The Rattlesnake is now known as the 5430 YOLO. Would you be doing the sprint or Oly?

I have plenty of pool sprints down here this season so I would probably to the OLY. I need to figure out where I am after an unexpected 2 weeks of rest

2014-03-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by amd723I HATE daylight savings time! Stupid Benjamin Franklin . That is all.
MEHEHEHE...And Arizonans roll merrily along :DTri kit w/suit today. I took it off yesterday and then shook my head at myself. But just means another practice run...I may even wear it around the house awhile to get used to moving and breathing normally.
I waxing Sedona one year when daylight savings began - that really caused confusion for my little brain as I tried to keep the time in multiple time zones straight!!

. Glad you figured out the need for a kit under the wet suit before you caused a riot at the race site

2014-03-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by amd723I HATE daylight savings time! Stupid Benjamin Franklin . That is all.
MEHEHEHE...And Arizonans roll merrily along :DTri kit w/suit today. I took it off yesterday and then shook my head at myself. But just means another practice run...I may even wear it around the house awhile to get used to moving and breathing normally.
I waxing Sedona one year when daylight savings began - that really caused confusion for my little brain as I tried to keep the time in multiple time zones straight!!

. Glad you figured out the need for a kit under the wet suit before you caused a riot at the race site

Is waxing Sedona some kind of new olympic sport

OK pod. I went for a run yesterday and it wasn't horrible so I think I'm ready to get back in to it. After a 2 week "vacation" should I just pick up with the plan as scheduled or start with a new, shorter plan? I am on the 24 week olympic plan but the "A" race isn't until late June. Also, for those of us doing the Daniel's running plan, I missed the last two weeks of that plan. Should I start the plan over at the same rates? Amp it up a bit? Do a local 5k to test myself? (that would be harder to do as I have races scheduled the next two weekends). Thoughts?

2014-03-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

OK pod. I went for a run yesterday and it wasn't horrible so I think I'm ready to get back in to it. After a 2 week "vacation" should I just pick up with the plan as scheduled or start with a new, shorter plan? I am on the 24 week olympic plan but the "A" race isn't until late June. Also, for those of us doing the Daniel's running plan, I missed the last two weeks of that plan. Should I start the plan over at the same rates? Amp it up a bit? Do a local 5k to test myself? (that would be harder to do as I have races scheduled the next two weekends). Thoughts?

Lol...not sure I'd consider waxing a sport How far into plan are you? And if you have time can you maybe pick up one week before you left off? Give some ease back in time. Where would yesterday's not horrible run put you up to this point in the plan?
2014-03-10 11:20 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

lol, gotta love auto correct!

If it were me, i think i would probably just back in it, but be ready to make adjustments as needed.  i tend to do things wrong though, so you should probably wait for anyone elses' reply!

2014-03-10 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Lol...not sure I'd consider waxing a sport How far into plan are you? And if you have time can you maybe pick up one week before you left off? Give some ease back in time. Where would yesterday's not horrible run put you up to this point in the plan?

This week would be week 7 of a 24 week plan so probably do-able to just get back in it. I'm sure I'll have to work to get my swim back to where it was

As for the run, I was using the Jack Daniels plan and just making it fit in to the BT Oly plan. I basically missed the last two weeks of that plan so I figure i'll start over with it.

2014-03-10 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

lol, gotta love auto correct!

If it were me, i think i would probably just back in it, but be ready to make adjustments as needed.  i tend to do things wrong though, so you should probably wait for anyone elses' reply!

Funny, I thought that I might help TJ out by telling you what I would do. Then you can do the opposite!  Helpful, huh?

Who is Sedona and why are you waxing him/her? 

2014-03-10 11:47 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome to the group, Mary. I hope that your triathlon journey is done well and with a smile on your face!

2014-03-10 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Erin, I love the photos, especially the post dirtbike riding. How cool?!?

And I am struggling to stay away from commenting on the shower picture   Good job on giving it a test run though.

2014-03-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
2014-03-10 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 I HATE daylight savings time! Stupid Benjamin Franklin . That is all.

OTOH, I love it!  Evening group rides start this week!

2014-03-10 12:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Also, welcome to the group Mary! 

2014-03-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

And I am struggling to stay away from commenting on the shower picture   Good job on giving it a test run though.

Taylor LOOOOOVES riding. And once Makenna gets her training wheels off her bike, she'll be getting a little PW50. Then it will be my turn to find another bike.

As far as the shower pic...LOL sorry?  Jason took it as he was giving me pointers on fit, and then he posted it on FB. A friend of ours said, "It fits right if you fart in it and you don't smell it til the zipper goes down."

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-03-10 4:15 PM
2014-03-10 4:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Taylor LOOOOOVES riding. And once Makenna gets her training wheels of her bike, she'll be getting a little PW50. Then it will be my turn to find another bike.

As far as the shower pic...LOL sorry?  Jason took it as he was giving me pointers on fit, and then he posted it on FB. A friend of ours said, "It fits right if you fart in it and you don't smell it til the zipper goes down."

omg hahahahaha

2014-03-10 4:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 I HATE daylight savings time! Stupid Benjamin Franklin . That is all.

OTOH, I love it!  Evening group rides start this week!

That reminds me...I need to ask LBS guy about a women's riding group he mentioned when Dirty Harry was in for an adjustment. Could be fun.

2014-03-10 4:18 PM

User image

Seattle

It might just be me and my old-timey soul but I LOVE the new Brooks heritage collection:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Heritage-Collection/heritage,default,pg.html

2014-03-10 11:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all--I had my phone interview today--I Think I did well....but of course I look back and totally question myself! They basically asked 6 or 7 questions--Why Dallas, What my favorite Taxa is, and which I would prefer to work with (I totally forgot about my beloved salamanders!!! I am a terrible salamander mama!); Whether or not I think communication is important(it is), what frustrates me (lack of communication...seriously!) , what is done when an animal refuses to eat, and how do you know when one is sick, what the general routine is that I do, and what venomous species I have worked with. --They were somewhat impressed with the fact that I am solely responsible for 80-90 different species in the reptile house....though they have about 900!!! (soon to be 700 or so, cause they are downsizing a bit....)

In any case, I wish I had answered a few things differently, but overall--I gave the best answers to my knowledge. They will let me know in 2-3 weeks if they want me for an in-person interview. So only a few nerves! My curator (who encouraged me to go for this job) says that I was the top of the list for interviewing, so that is good at least. 

We shall see. 

2014-03-11 12:08 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It might just be me and my old-timey soul but I LOVE the new Brooks heritage collection:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Heritage-Collection/heritage,default,pg.html

But there are no orange ones!!!

2014-03-11 12:22 AM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master

Originally posted by kgore

Hey all--I had my phone interview today--I Think I did well....but of course I look back and totally question myself! They basically asked 6 or 7 questions--Why Dallas, What my favorite Taxa is, and which I would prefer to work with (I totally forgot about my beloved salamanders!!! I am a terrible salamander mama!); Whether or not I think communication is important(it is), what frustrates me (lack of communication...seriously!) , what is done when an animal refuses to eat, and how do you know when one is sick, what the general routine is that I do, and what venomous species I have worked with. --They were somewhat impressed with the fact that I am solely responsible for 80-90 different species in the reptile house....though they have about 900!!! (soon to be 700 or so, cause they are downsizing a bit....)

In any case, I wish I had answered a few things differently, but overall--I gave the best answers to my knowledge. They will let me know in 2-3 weeks if they want me for an in-person interview. So only a few nerves! My curator (who encouraged me to go for this job) says that I was the top of the list for interviewing, so that is good at least. 

We shall see. 

You've set the ball rolling...now to see where it lands. Fingers crossed for you!

Oh, and I saw this at the store the other day. Taking a pic for you was a MUST. I looked through the whole basket for a reptile...none.

(20140307_082550.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140307_082550.jpg (70KB - 3 downloads)
2014-03-11 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by kgore

We shall see. 

You've set the ball rolling...now to see where it lands. Fingers crossed for you!

Oh, and I saw this at the store the other day. Taking a pic for you was a MUST. I looked through the whole basket for a reptile...none.

Good luck on the job.  It sounds like you're positioned well for it, and you gave your honest, best answers - that is ALL any of us could do.  I hope it's the right fit on both sides!

As for the Zoo Pooper - holy crap, that's awesome!  (see what I did there)

Matt

2014-03-11 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

This brings up a SERIOUS race dilemma:  I always wear some orange when racing (from some to kind of a lot).  Buuuuut, our race this weekend is on the cusp of St. Patrick's day.  Just outside of Boston.  I'm a Mc.  And I don't want to get stabbed on route - seriously.  (not many people wear orange here around the 17th, even though it's part of the flippin' flag - too dangerous)

So, you think I can get away with rockin' the orange kicks (Saucony Mirage) if I wear a green long sleeved tech shirt?  Do I need a shamrock painted on my chrome dome?  Green frosted eyebrows???  Leprechaun outfit????

The important issues of our times…  

Matt

2014-03-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think you get a pass on the shoes, since loud shoe = fast run. But I would go with as much green as possible elsewhere. How probable is it for you to run in a kilt? Good to see that we're discussing important matters here. 

2014-03-11 7:37 AM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Kate, congrats on round one. Keep calm and continue on, it sounds like this may be a long, drawn out process. And while you may wish you had answered a couple questions differently, you have no doubt learned a little something (and will learn more) during the process. I'm keeping good thoughts that this will turn out the best for you!

2014-03-11 9:06 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

This brings up a SERIOUS race dilemma:  I always wear some orange when racing (from some to kind of a lot).  Buuuuut, our race this weekend is on the cusp of St. Patrick's day.  Just outside of Boston.  I'm a Mc.  And I don't want to get stabbed on route - seriously.  (not many people wear orange here around the 17th, even though it's part of the flippin' flag - too dangerous)

So, you think I can get away with rockin' the orange kicks (Saucony Mirage) if I wear a green long sleeved tech shirt?  Do I need a shamrock painted on my chrome dome?  Green frosted eyebrows???  Leprechaun outfit????

The important issues of our times…  

Matt

ORANGE!!! You traitor!!! . Of course, I'm sure you know that the green on the Irish flag stands for the Catholics and the orange the Protestants and the white between them represents the supposed unity between them for the freedom, unity and benefit of Ireland. However, when irish see orange they think of the Orangemen , a group that celebrate william of orange and his defeat of the catholic king of Ireland at the battle of the Boyne. This was one of the key events that led to centuries of oppression and genocide of Ireland's Catholics . It's kind of a touchy subject . So, while I think you'd be ok with orange shoes, I wouldn't wear anymore orange than that! Especially in Boston where there is such a strong irish catholic contingent.

and that concludes today's history lesson

2014-03-11 10:20 AM

User image

Master
So I didn't try wetsuit last night, but got my butt in the pool with my LAVA pants. When I tried them last week I just couldn't get a feel for them...at all. Felt like I was fighting my legs (probably a sign of how bad my form is, I know). Last night I relaxed more and let the pants position me like they're supposed to .I found my hips rotating more/better and my head lower. Now I'm back on track for three swims a week.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38304 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.