Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-12-23 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1869070

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

Don't mind me I just get ideas and have to post, there is absolutely nothing to do at work this week.  Everyone in the Gov't uses their use or lose this week.

Steve, which bars do you have on your bike? I see they are the Vision but which ones?  Do you like them?  Debating between the flat like yours or the ones where the pursuit bars drop.

2008-12-23 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master

Mornin folks!  Hope everyone has milk and bread, because we have freezing drizzle in Arkansas and at least 100 wrecks already.  Amazing folks we have here!  I managed to make it to work un-scathed (sp?  The temp should warm up by lunch so that this non-sense can end. 

My mom and I had a really fun cookie exchange party last night, so now I have a rediculously large amount of random sweets in my house...yom!

Work is completely dead, so I have nothing to do...but this

2008-12-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1869146

User image

Champion
crews - 2008-12-23 10:07 AM

Mornin folks!  Hope everyone has milk and bread, because we have freezing drizzle in Arkansas and at least 100 wrecks already.  Amazing folks we have here!  I managed to make it to work un-scathed (sp?  The temp should warm up by lunch so that this non-sense can end. 

My mom and I had a really fun cookie exchange party last night, so now I have a rediculously large amount of random sweets in my house...yom!

funny, snow in Arkansas but none up here in DC.

Yep, nothing to do here today but post, and go for a run here in a bit, glad to have an indoor track at work, it too darn cold to run outside.

2008-12-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1869154

User image

Master
dalessit - 2008-12-23 9:09 AM

Yep, nothing to do here today but post, and go for a run here in a bit, glad to have an indoor track at work, it too darn cold to run outside.

I'd love to have a track here at work...that would be great!  I do have a pool here at work, but it's such a pain to swim, shower and come back in to work.  No matter how warm the pool is, it's too cold for me to swim this time of year.  I am very very very cold natured!!

2008-12-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1869181

User image

Champion
crews - 2008-12-23 10:22 AM
dalessit - 2008-12-23 9:09 AM

I'd love to have a track here at work...that would be great!  I do have a pool here at work, but it's such a pain to swim, shower and come back in to work.  No matter how warm the pool is, it's too cold for me to swim this time of year.  I am very very very cold natured!!

I get most of my swimming done here at work, the track is only 1/9th of a mile but still better than running outside when it's this cold.

2008-12-23 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Wow this group moves fast!  I gotta get online more!   

We've been getting some snow here, but nothing like some of the stories i've heard.  I'm very excited though....as a ski instructor it's good for business.  And as a skier it's good for FUN!  Our winter started out very slowly here but seems to be picking up now. 

Steve- sorry to hear your parents aren't able to make it for Christmas this year.  Maybe you can do what my family does and do a late Christmas?  3 of the last 4 winters I've worked as a ski instructor and I've had to work on Christmas.  Even if I hadn't, ski towns are always at their busiest around Christmas.  So instead we plan a "christmas" vacation and they come later in the season when it's less busy and I can get off work.  That way we still get to do all the fun family togetherness stuff, but with a lot less stress.  After all, December 25th is but a day on the calendar.  (Granted i'm half Jewish....and we celebrate a random 8 days on the calendar....so maybe I see it as a little more flexible...lol

It's weird, but I actually keep forgetting it's almost Christmas....except when I get the random gift in the mail or hear from the people i've sent gifts to.  I pretty much avoid the material side of the holiday though, unless I find something "just right" for someone.  I don't stress about it though....if I don't find something for someone I give to a charity in their name.  Beyond that I just stick to the stuff i love about christmas....the lights, the music, etc. and forget about the rest.  Of course I'm single with no kids so it's much easier to do that.  lol  Really the only reason i'm noticing it at all is cus the altered gym schedule is really messing with my plans for the week! lol  I will be sad when the christmas lights go down.  I live up on a hill overlooking town and it is absolutely gorgeous at night when all the lights go on!

2008-12-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1869121

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dalessit - 2008-12-23 6:53 AM

Don't mind me I just get ideas and have to post, there is absolutely nothing to do at work this week.  Everyone in the Gov't uses their use or lose this week.

Steve, which bars do you have on your bike? I see they are the Vision but which ones?  Do you like them?  Debating between the flat like yours or the ones where the pursuit bars drop.

Tony,

Don't kid yourself... You are more excited than your kids.... Your like Ralphie in Christmas Story!!!

Do answer the aerobar question.  I am using the Vision "R bend" bars.  They are great, however much more aggressive and a little tougher on the wrist.  Just a different riding position.  It strain's the 1st couple times you ride because you are putting your wrist in a different position than the somewhat more normal/popular "S bend" aerobars.... Pictures below for people to see the difference...

(glorycycles_.jpg)

(sbend.jpg)

(Rbend.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
glorycycles_.jpg (9KB - 8 downloads)
sbend.jpg (31KB - 8 downloads)
Rbend.jpg (9KB - 7 downloads)
2008-12-23 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1869191

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
lil_turtle - 2008-12-23 9:26 AM

I pretty much avoid the material side of the holiday though, unless I find something "just right" for someone.  I don't stress about it though....if I don't find something for someone I give to a charity in their name.  Beyond that I just stick to the stuff i love about christmas....the lights, the music, etc. and forget about the rest. 

Three years ago, our entire family decided that the stress of gift buying was not worth it.  We still give the kids something, but the adult exchange went out the window.  We find that it makes the holiday so much more pleasant.  You don't go nuts at the malls and you don't feel guilty about not using the stuff other people give you that you never really wanted in the first place.

Of course, now that I have seen all these dog pictures posted here I would like one for Christmas.    We lost ours four years ago and it just not the same! So far, I have not won the negotiations on that front.

2008-12-23 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I was sharing this information with a fellow BTer and thought I would post it here as well. I am a big fan of the FINIS swim paddles. When used in combination with a pull buoy they have helped tremendously with my rotation, my stroke, pull, and bilateral breathing.  Below is a link to an instructional video.  http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-use-finis-freestyler-hand-paddles-to-improve-technique-251985/view/

(swim paddles.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swim paddles.jpg (43KB - 8 downloads)
2008-12-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1869146

User image

Expert
Missouri
crews - 2008-12-23 9:07 AM

Just curious - what part of Arkansas are you in?  My mom was born and raised in Conway/Little Rock/N Little Rock and I still have a lot of relatives there.  I was actually considering doing the Little Rock half marathon next year and having a nice family get-together at the same time. 

Steve - sorry your parents won't be able to make it out for Christmas.  The 4 years I lived in Maryland were the only time that I didn't spend Christmas with my parents (although the first year I was there, my brother and one of my sisters came out to spend it with me so I wouldn't be alone).   I hope you're able to get together sometime soon. 

I'm trying to decide what to do today.  It'll either be a lower body workout and some yoga (I enjoy doing it but don't do it nearly often enough) or a short run.  Whichever I don't do today, I'll try to get in tomorrow.  The gym is closing early tomorrow though so I'm thinking I'll put the run off until then since I have a TM at home that I can use if the weather doesn't cooperate enough for an outside run. 

2008-12-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1869318

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2008-12-23 11:22 AM
dalessit - 2008-12-23 6:53 AM

Tony,

Don't kid yourself... You are more excited than your kids.... Your like Ralphie in Christmas Story!!!

Do answer the aerobar question.  I am using the Vision "R bend" bars.  They are great, however much more aggressive and a little tougher on the wrist.  Just a different riding position.  It strain's the 1st couple times you ride because you are putting your wrist in a different position than the somewhat more normal/popular "S bend" aerobars.... Pictures below for people to see the difference...

Haha I must not be using the correct term because you are the 2nd person that explained it to me that way.  I know I like ski bends and will go with those on whatever bar I get.

I am talking about the pursuit bars or as they describe them here wings.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/downloadfly.aspx?download=downloads/WhatVisionIsRight.pdf

According to the website the 0 degree ones are more like riding on the hoods where the -22 degrees are like riding in the drops.

and your are correct I am very excited, I was allready told by my wife that I cannot wake up at 0645 with the kids and put my bike in the repair stand and start putting it together...

Edited by dalessit 2008-12-23 10:47 AM

2008-12-23 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
Shoot... SORRY... Yes got with the flat bars (0 degree's)...
2008-12-23 11:13 AM

User image

Champion

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some insight.  I was recently fit for a tri bike at the same place that built my road bike.  I am really small so the only way to go is a custom frame build.  The bike fitter recommended that I have both my brakes and shifters on the drop bar versus having the shifter on the aeorbars.  His rationale is below.  What I am trying to figure out is what will I give up by going this route.  Any thoughts? what type of aerobars might be best for a 4'10" person?

The third topic was your question about why I had proposed using a drop handlebar and integrated shifters / brake levers with aero bars as opposed to the more conventional base bar (also known as a time trial bar or cowhorns)  with bar end shifters mounted on the aerobars.(Even describing the choices on offer here sounds complicated.)  I had only one reason for my proposal; the base bar or cowhorn bar is going to be too wide.  When climbing, braking or just riding around town in the base bar position near the brake levers, you would be resting the weight of your torso and head on a bar that is too wide.  It almost always leads to having too much pressure on the hands and wrists.  You’re not the only person in this situation.  These bars are simply not being made in small enough sizes.  Many women triathletes are being made to cope with this poor product size range.  Handlebar makers have been slow to accept how big a problem this is for us.  Though this problem exists with the smaller road or drop bars, we have more sizes available to us with these bars.  Your current Seven is a good example.

I would be willing to build the bike up with the more conventional base bar and aero bar set up if you would prefer to start out that way.  If this problem of width arises, it won’t be apparent until you’re well into springtime training.  I’m still happy to change out the parts if a hand and/or wrist aggravation shows up in April or May. 

2008-12-23 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1869431

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2008-12-23 12:13 PM

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some insight.  I was recently fit for a tri bike at the same place that built my road bike.  I am really small so the only way to go is a custom frame build.  The bike fitter recommended that I have both my brakes and shifters on the drop bar versus having the shifter on the aeorbars.  His rationale is below.  What I am trying to figure out is what will I give up by going this route.  Any thoughts? what type of aerobars might be best for a 4'10" person?

The third topic was your question about why I had proposed using a drop handlebar and integrated shifters / brake levers with aero bars as opposed to the more conventional base bar (also known as a time trial bar or cowhorns)  with bar end shifters mounted on the aerobars.(Even describing the choices on offer here sounds complicated.)  I had only one reason for my proposal; the base bar or cowhorn bar is going to be too wide.  When climbing, braking or just riding around town in the base bar position near the brake levers, you would be resting the weight of your torso and head on a bar that is too wide.  It almost always leads to having too much pressure on the hands and wrists.  You’re not the only person in this situation.  These bars are simply not being made in small enough sizes.  Many women triathletes are being made to cope with this poor product size range.  Handlebar makers have been slow to accept how big a problem this is for us.  Though this problem exists with the smaller road or drop bars, we have more sizes available to us with these bars.  Your current Seven is a good example.

I would be willing to build the bike up with the more conventional base bar and aero bar set up if you would prefer to start out that way.  If this problem of width arises, it won’t be apparent until you’re well into springtime training.  I’m still happy to change out the parts if a hand and/or wrist aggravation shows up in April or May. 

Let me check on Slowtwitch, I know I saw something like this posted at one point and time.  I don't believe that you have to go with anything custom.  I will let you know when I find it.  If you can get some measurements from your current road bike you can figure out the Stack and Reach on ST and they have a list of bike that would fit you.

This is from Planet-X's website. (yes I am a geek I read alot online). 

Ladies :: It’s all about the reach…

If you’ve been struggling to find a Tri bike that doesn’t leave you feeling like you’ve been on the rack for hours, you’ll know that many so called “Women’s Specific” models are often just the small mens frame painted pink!

The Stealth 650 XS and XXS sizes have SHORT top tubes, and we mean short. Our XXS sizes has a top tube length of just 470mm. That’s 2cm shorter than the smallest available Cervelo or 3.5cm shorter than the Scott Plasma Contessa. Now you don’t have to feel the bars of your bike are faaaaaaar away

2008-12-23 11:32 AM

User image

Champion

Here is an article on ST, it is from last year but it talks about small bikes and has links to some bikes.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/product2007/tribikes/tribikesmall.html

Check out what they say about cevelo just good info on bike fitting for shorter people.

Here is another post

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1741208;search_string=small%20woman%20bike;#1741208

I guess they did go with an Elite which is custom, very nice bike and their fitting is amazing.  I would have gone with one of theirs if I had the extra $.

2008-12-23 11:38 AM

User image

Pro

Suzy....

Wow tricky... This is almost like a medical decision!  I would get a second opinion.  I don't understand why you couldn't get a 47cm tri bike? Xtra Small bars, 650c wheels, etc?! I guess I don't see a huge difference in where the brakes/shifters are located based on "width/length?"  That is why they have different sizes (I THOUGHT?).   I would see what another bike guy says, or start a TOPIC in the main section and get a ton of different opinions.  If it were me, I would start with the more conventional or "popular" way and go from there?!  Just my 2cents.

2008-12-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1869431

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2008-12-23 11:13 AM

I think it is Chrissie Wellington that uses a setup very similar on her P2c...traditional drops and levers with aerobars added.  I think I kind of like that setup myself and have been looking at that in the event I get another bike.  I was thinking about getting my wife one...WinkMy thinking is that the road bars would be better for handling purposes and riding with others, but would still have the aggressive setup of a tri bike .

2008-12-23 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
She did, but she has since changed....

(new.jpg)

(old.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
new.jpg (84KB - 10 downloads)
old.jpg (64KB - 9 downloads)
2008-12-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1869353

User image

Master
soccermom15 - 2008-12-23 10:36 AM
crews - 2008-12-23 9:07 AM

Just curious - what part of Arkansas are you in?  My mom was born and raised in Conway/Little Rock/N Little Rock and I still have a lot of relatives there.  I was actually considering doing the Little Rock half marathon next year and having a nice family get-together at the same time. 

I'm in central Arkansas.  I work in Little Rock, but live about half way between LR and Conway, in Mayflower.  I plan on doing the 1/2 mary in March, too.  I've never done a running race, so it should be fun.  I hope the running gets a little easier.  Right now, 5 miles kills me!

2008-12-23 2:35 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Hey everyone....you guys are dedicated...I miss day of logging in(3 days prior to Christmas) and i have 3 pages to read!! That is what i need, some dedicated vets to lead my along.

Hey Redknight....Where in Alberta are you from? I live in Calgary, but am from a small town south of here.

After listening to you guys talk about the snow,cold,etc you'd think you were up here in Canada!!!

Its actually warmed up a bit here...It's1:30pm currently and -15C(5F) ..sitting at work...thinking I'm getting ready to check out of here. Wife and kids are swimming with the in-laws and everyone who's in town for the holidays. So I think I'm going to knock off a little 5km run shortly.

2008-12-23 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1869512

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
swbkrun - 2008-12-23 12:38 PM

Suzy....

Wow tricky... This is almost like a medical decision!  I would get a second opinion.  I don't understand why you couldn't get a 47cm tri bike? Xtra Small bars, 650c wheels, etc?! I guess I don't see a huge difference in where the brakes/shifters are located based on "width/length?"  That is why they have different sizes (I THOUGHT?).   I would see what another bike guy says, or start a TOPIC in the main section and get a ton of different opinions.  If it were me, I would start with the more conventional or "popular" way and go from there?!  Just my 2cents.

That's an excellent idea to get more opinions.  It's probably also worthwhile sending a note or calling the bike company to get their opinion on the fit.  They should be able to give you some advice or how the bikes are designed to be set up for your body size.

2008-12-23 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1869888

User image

Champion
willie05 - 2008-12-23 2:38 PM
swbkrun - 2008-12-23 12:38 PM

Suzy....

That's an excellent idea to get more opinions.  It's probably also worthwhile sending a note or calling the bike company to get their opinion on the fit.  They should be able to give you some advice or how the bikes are designed to be set up for your body size.

I did have the person that takes care of my bike take a look at the fit sheet.  He and I were thinking we might be able to retro fit an existing frame.  After looking at it he determined we could not go with a stock frame from any manufacturer, but that we could look at more than Seven for the frame.  Seven concurred with the set up recommended  by the fitter.  All three of them told me the set up was a personal preference.  I just dont know enough about riding in the aero position to make an informed decision.  Not sure if it matter, but I tend to ride in IM WI territory which is relatively hilly.

I put the fit sheet in my trash album.  I tried to upload it here, but couldnt get it to work.

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-12-23 5:50 PM
2008-12-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1868954

User image

Extreme Veteran
dalessit - 2008-12-23 7:59 AM

trying1 - 2008-12-22 9:37 PM Hey everyone, I had a question on muscle cramps..  during my swim my toes started to cramp.  It started pretty much from the start of my swim and it made me have a horrible run afterwards.  The cramping move to my hamstring area..  I never had this happen before even when I first started to train for my first sprint tri.  I actually had some minor toe cramping last week during my lesson but not as bad...  I've been stretching more but not sure what else i can do.  Does anyone know what could be the cause?

It could also be when swimming you are keeping your feet very tense, using those muscles to keep your feet pointed out.  Try letting your feet relax and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply's..  dalessit i think you're right about keeping my feet very tense.  I've been getting these cramps since my first swim lesson and keeping my toes pointed is something i've been working on since..  I had another lesson today.  I did ok, only cramped at the end a little (some improvement!)

2008-12-23 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

Well, I had a really nice run today considering the weather we've been having in DC. I think I wore one too many layers.  Call me weird, but I enjoy the crisp freezing cold air in my lungs.

I wanted to swim with the Master's group tonight, but way too much last minute Christmas stuff needs to get done.

-Nick

2008-12-23 8:27 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Did my 5k in 27 minutes...that's a pb for me in my short time running-in the nice cool canadian winter!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73