Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-04-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2769762

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED

Breaststroke is bad for my knees, so I agree it is not a great 'resting' stroke for me.  I would go with side stroke or elementary backstroke, that is one I do if I want to rest but keep moving, but mine is a comination of regular backstroke kick and elementary backstroke arms, like breast stroke on your back.  Bad thing about this, especially in open water, is you can't really see where you are going.    You can always stop for a few minutes and just tread water to rest too.

2010-04-20 3:58 PM

how do you do a side stroke?

was going to throw in an extra bike ride after work today b/c i have some time to kill but its raining so i suppose i'll kill my time at the grocery store.
2010-04-20 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2805330

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hmmm... I was going to try to describe it, but best to leave you with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcgmHBE6k8

Hopefully a better swimmer than me can explain it.

2010-04-20 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
I have been MIA for awhile, but it was mostly planned.  I knew that I would miss a week of workouts, but it turned into 1 1/2 weeks.

Tonight I did 3 mile jog with the dog.  We both did pretty good.  Smile

I will have to go back and catch up on the thread later.  Gotta shower and finish dinner!  Crockpot pork chops!
2010-04-20 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Just checking in...  Customer and Kidney stones, both are bad for training by themselves, together...  No time or desire to train...  At least customer leave on Thursday afternoon....  Still planning on golf and a 5K this week-end...

Good luck on your races this week-end, can't wait for great results...

As for a rest stroke, I tried a modified breaststroke, where I did breaststroke arms with free style flutter kick.  Allowed front sighting and breathing.  Might want to give it a try someday in the pool, I use it during my 200 free cool down any stroke, because my knees do not like breaststroke kicking....
2010-04-20 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
HI all!

Just wanted to pop in to say hello, I have also been keeping up on everyones posts, just no time to reply.....lots of extra work stuff and kid stuff.  With all that and training, not much time to sleep even Tongue out

Best wishes to all with races soon, and good luck with those darn kidney stones Steve!  Keep up all the great training and group motivation!!

Lacie

2010-04-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2793941

User image

Elite
washington state
otter_sh - 2010-04-15 9:24 AM I just started doing some 1 leg workouts on the bike...  For about a minute, I take one foot out of my power grip and just have it on top of the pedal so it is only working 1/2 time and the other is working full.  My bicycle magazine says it can be done with clipped in pedals.  It gives a nice workout if you are out for 30 seconds to minute and then back in for a while and then switch legs.  I did it on my loops the other night, definite thigh burn.

Hey Steve,  how do you like your power grips?  I have considered getting a pair.  I currently ride either open pedal or with a cage type pedal.  I don't want to mess with clipping in/out, changing shoes at transition.

((Also, I hope you are feeling better.   8 + hours of golf and then a 5k after a week or two of dealing with kidney stones!  Wow!  Take care.))
2010-04-21 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2806054

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Glad to hear from you, Lacie.  Anyone else out there lurking? 

I was thinking about you all when I was swimming this morning.  Does everyone work sighting into their swim workouts, occasionally?  Especially for those of you who haven't done their first open water swim, it's good practice.  Put an object (water bottle, buoy, noodle, whatever) at the end of your lane and practice looking for it.  It can take a while to find the best way for you to incorporate this move. 

What I do is look up and straight ahead first, then turn my head and breathe.  I am only able to do this on one side, which is also good to know.  If waves or other issues cause me to need to sight on my left, I pretty much have to pop up for a second and then resume swimming.  Oh, the joys!

I had a swim last September where a heavy fog rolled in while we were in the water.  Half way around I couldn't see the buoys or other swimmers.  By some miracle we all found our way to the shore.  Crazy! 

2010-04-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2799298

User image

Elite
washington state
smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-18 7:37 AM Just a quick report in before my husband snags the compuer.  We finished in 8 hours 18 minutes and 38 seconds.  Part of our team went ahead, just to see how fast they could have completed it without the slower members, but since it was a team event and we had to cross within 20 seconds of one another I didn't see the point.  One girl started with blisters so she struggled the entire walk.  I could have went faster, and had hoped to at least jog down the hills, but I didn't feel right seperating from the team.  We had grades as high as 5% and 9% both lasting well over a 1/2 mile.  Part  of the terrain was pretty rough to - no way my car could have made it up the 9% grade.  More of an atv/4wheeler trail.

I thought I would be sore today, but after a great night sleep (and a footrub from the hubby last night) I'm surprisingly not that bad.

Great Job!!  Says a lot for your overall fitness!!

2010-04-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2806640

User image

Elite
washington state
BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-21 7:04 AM

Glad to hear from you, Lacie.  Anyone else out there lurking? 

I was thinking about you all when I was swimming this morning.  Does everyone work sighting into their swim workouts, occasionally?  Especially for those of you who haven't done their first open water swim, it's good practice.  Put an object (water bottle, buoy, noodle, whatever) at the end of your lane and practice looking for it.  It can take a while to find the best way for you to incorporate this move. 

What I do is look up and straight ahead first, then turn my head and breathe.  I am only able to do this on one side, which is also good to know.  If waves or other issues cause me to need to sight on my left, I pretty much have to pop up for a second and then resume swimming.  Oh, the joys!

I had a swim last September where a heavy fog rolled in while we were in the water.  Half way around I couldn't see the buoys or other swimmers.  By some miracle we all found our way to the shore.  Crazy! 

My only tri was in a pool.  4 people to a lane, all about the same speed.  If all goes according to plan, I will do an open water in a man-made lake on July 4th.  I definitely need to work on sighting.  Thanks for the tip!
2010-04-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2806646

deehtz - 2010-04-21 10:05 AM
smartstrongsexy - 2010-04-18 7:37 AM

I thought I would be sore today, but after a great night sleep (and a footrub from the hubby last night) I'm surprisingly not that bad.

Great Job!!  Says a lot for your overall fitness!!

thanks Dee.  I figured it was either that, or testiment to how incredibly slow we were walking.  but I'll go with my overall fitness! Wink

glad to see that our lurkers are still with us.  hopefully all is well in lurker land.  me, i can't keep my mouth/fingers shut/still for that long!

got my 2nd brick tonight.  the first one was weird b/c i did half inside and half outside.  (air quality was bad so i ran on the treadmill).  tonight doing both around my subdivision will be more like the real deal.

I keep finding that life is getting in the way and i seem to be cutting a bike workout a week.   not good at all.  got the long bike ride this weekend - but its supposed to be thunderstorming both days.  in that case is it better to do the recumbant bike?  i mean it would be that or some other cardio in the gym.  not sure why they don't have a regular stationary bike in there.  i know that's not preferable for training, but i don't have access to a regular indoor bike and i certainly don't wanna get struck by lightening!!

2010-04-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2806762

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Well I would say that some bike is better than no bike.  

However, usually the weather doesn't last all day.  If they are forecasting both days, it might mean Saturday night and Sunday morning.    Maybe you can be ready to do it when things clear up?

Spring is tough like that.  I regularly move around and cancel bikes due to the weather.   Boo.

2010-04-21 11:16 AM

actually they are calling for the Friday through Monday.  Seriously?  this sucks.  If that happens i can always suppliment with a spin class on Monday evening. 
2010-04-21 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2806640

BikerGrrrl - 2010-04-22 8:04 AM

I was thinking about you all when I was swimming this morning.  Does everyone work sighting into their swim workouts, occasionally? 

I have been. I find it really tiring so I know its something I have to work on. My goal is to hit the pool 3-4x a week and work on just being comfortable in the water. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm looking for a resting stroke (sidestroke looks promising, I watched the youtube vid). I'm working on bilateral breathing, sighting, floating and treading water.

I really envy ppl who have swam since childhood competitively. As an adult, its hard to bridge that gap. So I've made it a point to make sure my kids take swim lessons every summer, and spend as much time in the pool as possible throughout the yr.

Now that I think about it, triathlons are really glorified childhoods. Swimming, riding your bike and running around with friends Laughing
2010-04-21 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2806633

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
deehtz - 2010-04-21 10:02 AM
Hey Steve,  how do you like your power grips?  I have considered getting a pair.  I currently ride either open pedal or with a cage type pedal.  I don't want to mess with clipping in/out, changing shoes at transition.

I like them 98% of the time....  I have had them come apart while I was working hard 1 time, now check screws are still tight. Othe thing is if I get my foot in too far, it puts pressure on my knee and I need to readjust.  Otherwise I really like them better then the cage I had used in my other tris.  I also like putting on 1 pair of shoes and T2 is quick...

((Also, I hope you are feeling better.   8 + hours of golf and then a 5k after a week or two of dealing with kidney stones!  Wow!  Take care.))

I just took pain pill to sleep tonight, declined dinner with customer due to pain.  So I am taking it a little easy, and I can blow off the 5K even though I paid, 1500 people, who will notice me being a DNS.....
2010-04-21 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Coach has added 3 drills for sighting...  1. What I call the old American Crawl stroke, free style without getting your head wet.  200 to 400 a week of this.            2. Swim 8 strokes regular and then 2 above water to sight, repeat...
                                                               3. Swim 3 strokes, dive under simulated wave (2 strokes under water), surface, sight, repeat.

Take some getting used to, tough on the arms, but should help me some...  I am a left side breather, so I have been lucky the only course I have raced so far was all left hand turns, so I could spot as I was breathing...  this yr all new courses and one is an ocean swim instead of lake or river...

2010-04-22 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2808531

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree with all of that!  I took lessons when I was little, but it was a really bad experience and didn't stick with it.  I wish I could find that instructor and tell them how their little methods to get me into the water (literally pushing me off the edge) totally backfired.  Now, four years after starting again as an adult, I am finally really swimming.  Not fast, but consistent.  I have vowed to encourage my nieces.  So far they are interested and like swimming lessons.

I love the analogy - triathlon really is fun!  Must remember that...

LaurenCO - 2010-04-21 5:56 PM

I really envy ppl who have swam since childhood competitively. As an adult, its hard to bridge that gap. So I've made it a point to make sure my kids take swim lessons every summer, and spend as much time in the pool as possible throughout the yr.

Now that I think about it, triathlons are really glorified childhoods. Swimming, riding your bike and running around with friends Laughing

2010-04-22 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2808569

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

That is very true - gotta prioritize!

otter_sh - 2010-04-21 6:23 PM

I just took pain pill to sleep tonight, declined dinner with customer due to pain.  So I am taking it a little easy, and I can blow off the 5K even though I paid, 1500 people, who will notice me being a DNS.....

2010-04-22 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Wetsuit question -

Anyone here ever rented a wetsuit online?  I need to get one for my tri next month but I'm a little worried about getting one that fits correctly if I'm not able to try it on first.  I know they say (wetsuit rental.com is the place I've been looking at) that they "get it right" about 97% of the time, but I don't exactly fit within the normal guidelines for a woman - tall with very long legs.  I went to a wetsuit demo about a month ago and ended up wearing a men's medium - it fit perfectly, BTW.  I just could not get into the women's sizes.  The demo was only one brand (QR) and I'm sure that different brands fit a bit differently.  I could rent one from a local shop, that way I could try it on first, but the cost is almost double what it would be if I rented online. 

Any experiences, good or bad, with online rentals?
2010-04-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2809681

User image

Elite
washington state
soccermom15 - 2010-04-22 7:27 AM Wetsuit question -

Anyone here ever rented a wetsuit online?  I need to get one for my tri next month but I'm a little worried about getting one that fits correctly if I'm not able to try it on first.  I know they say (wetsuit rental.com is the place I've been looking at) that they "get it right" about 97% of the time, but I don't exactly fit within the normal guidelines for a woman - tall with very long legs.  I went to a wetsuit demo about a month ago and ended up wearing a men's medium - it fit perfectly, BTW.  I just could not get into the women's sizes.  The demo was only one brand (QR) and I'm sure that different brands fit a bit differently.  I could rent one from a local shop, that way I could try it on first, but the cost is almost double what it would be if I rented online. 

I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen good comments here on BT.  Can you just rent the QR brand and size that you tried on, but rent it from the online source?  Then you know it would fit.
2010-04-22 10:46 AM

lauren i totally know what you mean about swimming.  after my first time in the pool i called and begged my sister to get her two kids swim lessons (my niece is 6 and nephew is 2). 

having said that - the lifeguard cheered for me today after my first lap.  she clapped and told me how great i'm doing and how far i've progresses since the beginning.  i'm sure my form started sucking once i got tired, but it meant a lot for an objective party to comment on my progress.

looks like the showers are supposed to start Saturday afternoon, which means i'll get up early and get my ride in before i have to be at church for a conference simulcast @ 10. 

Brooke

2010-04-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2809696

User image

Expert
Missouri
deehtz - 2010-04-22 9:31 AM
soccermom15 - 2010-04-22 7:27 AM Wetsuit question -

I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen good comments here on BT.  Can you just rent the QR brand and size that you tried on, but rent it from the online source?  Then you know it would fit.

I'm going to ask, just don't know if it would be available.  One of the reasons I want to get it done sooner rather than later - so if they do have it, I would be able to get one reserved.
2010-04-22 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2810027

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have only heard anecdotes, but the suit rental business seems to be a good thing.    I would DEFinitely recommend calling them to place the order so you can let them know your worries.  They should be flexible enough to give you a men's suit if that's what you really want.

2010-04-23 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2810416

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey kids - everyone ready for the weekend?

I have been doing the weather dance all week, hoping the weekend rain forecast doesn't come true...  I am supposed to run for 1:40 and bike for 4:00 and I'd REALLY rather it be dry

2010-04-23 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Completed the fund raiser with only a little pain...  I played 70 of the 100 holes, my daughter played the rest with me.

Took 8+ hours, beautiful sunny day...  Had fun with my youngest...

See how I feel in the morning for the 5K, left kidney stone hurts just a little.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20