BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-05 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Six 10yo girls coming over for a party/sleepover today, I'm hoping to slip out for a run before that all goes down, but it just may be an off day for me.  There's lots to do here to get ready!  I've run the last 6 consecutive days, so I'm OK if I miss today.

I've added a few races to my planned schedule to add a little mental motivation.  The first one is questionable though, I'm not sure if it's a reasonable goal to be ready for it by the end of March.  It's a sprint distance, but offroad so it plays out more like an Olympic when looking at time on the bike.  I'll know more in a few weeks once I am back on the bike and the pool opens up.  I'll see how I feel then, and decide about that race at the beginning of Feb.

2013-01-05 11:24 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

I was planning to ride today and run tomorrow but forecast is calling for rain tomorrow. So ran 8 miles this morning and plan to put in a few hours on the trainer tomorrow.

I also refrained from popping a cork last night =)  Time willing, I hope to try to out my new pressure cooker tonight !

Good day all !

2013-01-05 12:03 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Shortbike ride for me today (11.88mi). I had planned a longer ride, but pulled out half way through due to some cramping issues. I really have no idea why either, because I did the same thing I have been doing for a while this morning nutrition and liquid wise this morning. Good week of training and off day tomorrow-I'm ready.
2013-01-05 12:15 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

When triathlon is a balanced part of that life I'm a happy guy. Too little or to much is less ideal.

well said, Fred.  That's why my mantra is focus......on what is in front of me at the moment and what I have to do now.  A radio program I used to listen to called it "just do the next thing".  Sometimes we get so lost in the big picture we forget that there is something right in front of us that is a meaningful part of life.

I got just over 2 hours on the bike today before my legs and butt gave up.

2013-01-05 12:15 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
On to the next thing, my house work and grocery shopping.....

Edited by QueenZipp 2013-01-05 12:16 PM
2013-01-05 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I was able to get my 2:30 long run done totally outside even though it was only 9F at the start.  That makes me very happy.  While I don't mind doing them on the TM, I know I benefit greatly from the hilly terrain where I live, especially since my March marathon is hilly.  Snuck in a recovery swim too.  Done for the day!

2013-01-05 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I guess I "started" the word of the year idea, but then got too busy to join in the conversation here. My word this year is STRIVE.

I need to STRIVE to find balance. I need to STRIVE to meet my goals - fitness, family, productivity, and otherwise. When I am struggling, I need to switch over to striving. I've been fighting depression, so for me, a lot of things come down to a mental battle - this year I will STRIVE to get past the down thoughts that are causing me to not be as successful as I wish to be (in weight loss, in racing, in recovery, etc.).
2013-01-05 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Yesterday was my youngest daughter's birthday - she turned 8. This meant going out to hibachi for dinner and then eating cake. (We don't skip birthday cake in my house - it's a rule - but I only have to eat it on the actual birthday, not the leftovers today or the cupcakes from the party.) Neither of these is likely to have a positive effect on my weight-loss.

But there is one positive that has come up - she also started a new round of swimming lessons this morning and there are 2 adult lap lanes open during her lesson. I'm taking that as a sign that I should swim during that time. I WILL reacquaint myself with the water this month.

Since I'm going to be doing that, I'm going to swap my long run from Saturday to Sunday starting this week, so I can swim/bike on Saturday. Long trainer ride expected later today (after I pick up older daughter from soccer), long run (8-9 miles per plan) tomorrow after church.
2013-01-05 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
One more post - with a question:

Those of you who do yoga, what do you do? I've been using a couple of apps that I found (Tania's Yoga for Runners and Simply Yoga free - although I may upgrade). The classes at the Y (my gym) don't fit into my schedule - apparently they think only stay-at-home moms do yoga...so I'm kind of limited to home practice. I desperately need to stretch so I can avoid getting hurt this season.
2013-01-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4563578

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

enders_shadow - 2013-01-05 2:00 PM One more post - with a question: Those of you who do yoga, what do you do? I've been using a couple of apps that I found (Tania's Yoga for Runners and Simply Yoga free - although I may upgrade). The classes at the Y (my gym) don't fit into my schedule - apparently they think only stay-at-home moms do yoga...so I'm kind of limited to home practice. I desperately need to stretch so I can avoid getting hurt this season.

I have several Rodney Yee videos.  Some I like more than others.  My favorite is "Ultimate Power Yoga" which is broken into 5 sections, most are 20 minutes.  You can mix and match how many sessions to the area you want to work on and your time limit.

2013-01-05 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Today we went mountain biking.  It was my first ever experience of "real" mountain bike trails.  They're graded like ski runs (european ones - so green, blue, red, black).  We started on the blue this morning, followed by a quick go on the skills loop.  After lunch we went round a red route.

The point of the mountain biking is to try to improve my bike handling skills and to improve my confidence, which was knocked after the crash in Switzerland.  I'm not sure if today helped or hindered that process.  On three separate occasions I was in tears because I was freaking out.  There were only two features on the red route that I couldn't manage, and strangely those weren't the things I was freaking out about.  But several times I felt close to panic.

On the positive side, if I can keep doing this stuff my legs are going to get MUCH stronger - 2000ft of climbing in 18 miles, and a lot of stuff that was scary at the beginning of the day felt much easier at the end.  So the plan is to keep going back until I can a) make it round the red route without crying and b) make it down the entire red route without wussing out or falling off!

Despite the fact that we only cycled 18 miles and it took us about 2.5hours total according to the Garmin, the trip took the entire day and we were very tired when we got home.  So the planned swim session has been pushed back to tomorrow.

2013-01-05 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4563705

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
chapfallen - 2013-01-05 4:02 PM

Today we went mountain biking.  It was my first ever experience of "real" mountain bike trails.  They're graded like ski runs (european ones - so green, blue, red, black).  We started on the blue this morning, followed by a quick go on the skills loop.  After lunch we went round a red route.

The point of the mountain biking is to try to improve my bike handling skills and to improve my confidence, which was knocked after the crash in Switzerland.  I'm not sure if today helped or hindered that process.  On three separate occasions I was in tears because I was freaking out.  There were only two features on the red route that I couldn't manage, and strangely those weren't the things I was freaking out about.  But several times I felt close to panic.

On the positive side, if I can keep doing this stuff my legs are going to get MUCH stronger - 2000ft of climbing in 18 miles, and a lot of stuff that was scary at the beginning of the day felt much easier at the end.  So the plan is to keep going back until I can a) make it round the red route without crying and b) make it down the entire red route without wussing out or falling off!

Despite the fact that we only cycled 18 miles and it took us about 2.5hours total according to the Garmin, the trip took the entire day and we were very tired when we got home.  So the planned swim session has been pushed back to tomorrow.

I have never tried mountain biking so I cannot imagine working through the difficulties of the day.  Mental toughness.....yes I have had some rides where I was in tears or near tears (my second century ride was straight headwind on the way back home and one of my friends was SAG'd out for cramping so much she was contorted.  My other friend and I missed a turn and thus a rest stop....it was bad.  I would have kissed the ground when I saw the city sky line if I had gotten off the bike at that point)
2013-01-05 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4563705

User image

Expert
chapfallen - 2013-01-05 1:02 PM

yeah, another mountain biker is born. Laughing

I like the attitude, keep at it and you will get stronger and more confident for sure.  It's tough to relate time to miles according to road biking, cause it's just so different.  I generally train by time instead of distance.

2013-01-05 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Well, Got my planned workout in (5k run) and it was better than expected, pace really improved over thursday's nightmare. 

Then got a call from my sport Chiropractor buddy (saved my feet, literally, when I had the bout of Plantar Faciitis this past year) who I lovingly call Dr. Torture, becuase the work he did on my feet hurt like H#*&, but it worked.  He wanted me to join him for a bike ride this afternoon.   He's an avid triathlete, and works with a lot of us in his practice.   He gets it, and is able to relate and help with the physical aches and pains that come from training.   Grateful to have him for a friend ..

Anyway, he and I headed out for a short (17.7 mile) ride.  Felt good to be back on the bike.  Haven't been on the bike in a couple months.

2013-01-05 5:56 PM

User image

Elite
washington state

No work out so far today because we took a trip into the city.  So while we were there, we stopped at a shoe store that I has heard about.  Result:  two new pairs of shoes to alternate for work & running!  Yeah!  Laughing     My old ones definitely needed to be replaced.  I thought that the clerk was very good about assessing what I was looking for and needed. 

We stopped and ate a late lunch on the way home.  I did pretty good on not overdoing it, but I still am too full to run.  But I plan to run tomorrow and will probably be able to manage aerobics tonight.

2013-01-05 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

I do yoga occasionally and really wish I did more of it.  I need to take classes because my form is so poor that I worry about injury if I don't have a yogi helping me out.

Got an easy 7 mile run in today and took my Christmas decorations down!

2013-01-06 4:34 AM
in reply to: #4563866

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
UTTriman - 2013-01-05 11:42 PM

Then got a call from my sport Chiropractor buddy (saved my feet, literally, when I had the bout of Plantar Faciitis this past year) who I lovingly call Dr. Torture, becuase the work he did on my feet hurt like H#*&, but it worked.  He wanted me to join him for a bike ride this afternoon.   He's an avid triathlete, and works with a lot of us in his practice.   He gets it, and is able to relate and help with the physical aches and pains that come from training.   Grateful to have him for a friend ..

I have a friend like that.  He's a physiotherapist, and when I was contemplating my first sprint tri he was training for his first IM.  He was basically responsible for getting me to the point where I could do IM after my crash.  It's great having a friend who can be called on from another country for physio advice!

2013-01-06 4:37 AM
in reply to: #4563880

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
deehtz - 2013-01-05 11:56 PM

No work out so far today because we took a trip into the city.  So while we were there, we stopped at a shoe store that I has heard about.  Result:  two new pairs of shoes to alternate for work & running!  Yeah!  Laughing     My old ones definitely needed to be replaced.  I thought that the clerk was very good about assessing what I was looking for and needed. 

I love getting new running shoes.  It's the only kind of footwear I really get excited about!

2013-01-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4563359

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Fred D - 2013-01-05 10:57 AM
cathyd - 2013-01-05 9:37 AM

My mantra for the year has to be 'FUN'.   After 2 years of sadness it's time to live again and start enjoying life.  And I was happiest when triathlon was part of my life.  I will run, bike and swim because I enjoy it.

In keeping with my theme of fun, I will fill my life with people I love and activities I enjoy.  That means more time spent with the two little loves of my life, my granddaughters.  More days riding my bike, running on trails, hiking in the woods, playing at the beach.  Getting back to the hobbies I enjoy.  Less time spent watching TV and surfing the internet. Just living and enjoying life again.

So here's to a year of FUN.

Your sadness was understandable and I suspect the situation was a nightmare. Yes, moving on to fun and the loved ones around you is what you need to do. Triathlon can be a part of that fun. Truthfully I'm on this site a lot less than in the past for a number of reasons, but the main issue is that there is training to do, loved ones to be with and work. It's why I don't spend time in main forums on here and st much. get out there, live life. When triathlon is a balanced part of that life I'm a happy guy. Too little or to much is less ideal.

I think many of us have invested way too much time in an online community of some sort and then realized how unhealthy it can be.  Good for youto realize that and do something about it.

Good for you also coming back to mentor people like us too though! 

2013-01-06 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

It looks like just about everyone had a good day of trianing yesterday, so congrats to us all!

My cold has gotten much worse so I am going to play today a little bit by ear and see how I feel later.  I just don't want this thing to keep moving down into my lungs, as I woke up this morning sounding like a Barry White impersonator.

Edited by Sulcus 2013-01-06 7:11 AM
2013-01-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4564279

User image

Champion
chapfallen - 2013-01-06 5:37 AM

I love getting new running shoes.  It's the only kind of footwear I really get excited about!

It's nearly the only kind of shoes I have. 2 pairs of flats for work, some sandals, and about 50 pairs of running shoes. I alternate 2 to train in, then live in the old ones until they fall apart or until I have so many I have to donate them or else my closet will overflow.

2013-01-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4564325

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4564318

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-01-06 10:28 AM
2013-01-06 2:04 PM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Nice job yesterday, everyone.   Me, resting today as per my normal 'routine'.  Will be back in the pool in the morning though.  Haven't got the full workout planned yet, but thinking about 2500 yards or so.  Have to see what happens.  I need to get my workouts more intense and focused.. particularly in the pool.   When those are strong for me, the other disciplines seem to improve.

For those fighting not feeling well... get better --

2013-01-06 2:20 PM

Master
Orlando
Completed a super easy 3 mile run this morning. First mile was with my dog, so the stopping to sniff and take care of business really made this an easy run; which is a good thing. After the run it was onto the trainer for an hour. Not the typical brick, but I liked it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64