2013-03-12 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4656886

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
DanielG - 2013-03-12 12:32 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-12 1:00 PM

Suicide is illegal in Idaho. Doesn't get charged a lot, but it is on the books and I saw it charged once when I worked at the court house. 

Assisting a suicide and providing the means to suicide are illegal. Committing it is not. I think the last state took attempting and committing suicide as crimes off the books in the mid '90s

Hmmm must have been an old case I was looking at. 

2013-03-12 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4656969

User image

Aarondb4 - 2013-03-12 3:17 PM

Suicide is illegal in Idaho. Doesn't get charged a lot, but it is on the books and I saw it charged once when I worked at the court house. 

Assisting a suicide and providing the means to suicide are illegal. Committing it is not. I think the last state took attempting and committing suicide as crimes off the books in the mid '90s

Or I'm missing it in the statutes but according to the suicide hotline people, those got taken off at latest mid-90s.

2013-03-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4657018

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
DanielG - 2013-03-12 2:47 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-12 3:17 PM

Or I'm missing it in the statutes but according to the suicide hotline people, those got taken off at latest mid-90s.

OK, to solve this once and for all.  I must resort to wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation

United States

Historically, various states listed the act of suicide as a felony, but these policies were sparsely enforced. In the late 1960s, eighteen U.S. states lacked laws against suicide.[20] By the late 1980s, thirty of the fifty states had no laws against suicide or suicide attempts but every state had laws declaring it to be felony to aid, advise or encourage another person to commit suicide.[21] By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification.[citation needed] In some U.S. states, suicide is still considered an unwritten "common law crime," as stated in Blackstone's Commentaries. (So held the Virginia Supreme Court in 1992. Wackwitz v. Roy, 418 S.E.2d 861 (Va. 1992)). As a common law crime, suicide can bar recovery for the late suicidal person's family in a lawsuit unless the suicidal person can be proven to have been "of unsound mind." That is, the suicide must be proven to have been an involuntary act of the victim in order for the family to be awarded monetary damages by the court. This can occur when the family of the deceased sues the caregiver (perhaps a jail or hospital) for negligence in failing to provide appropriate care.[22] Some American legal scholars look at the issue as one of personal liberty. According to Nadine Strossen, former President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[23]

Physician-assisted suicide is legal in some states.[24] For the terminally ill, it is legal in the state of Oregon under the Oregon Death with Dignity Act. In Washington state, it became legal in 2009, when a law modeled after the Oregon act, the Washington Death with Dignity Act was passed. A patient must be diagnosed as having less than six months to live, be of sound mind, make a request orally and in writing, have it approved by two different doctors, then wait 15 days and make the request again. A doctor may prescribe a lethal dose but may not administer it.[25]

In many jurisdictions, medical facilities are empowered or required to commit anyone whom they believe to be suicidal for evaluation and treatment.[26]

2013-03-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Thought this was worth sharing.

2013-03-12 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4657328

User image

So where do you get the permits to hunt humans?

According to Senator Feinstein it is legal to hunt humans,,,, who knew?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHhIqxR7kY

How do these idiots get elected and re-elected?

2013-03-12 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4655922

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
DanielG - 2013-03-11 9:39 PM
firstnet911 - 2013-03-11 9:15 PM

Loaded 200 .223 tonight. Not quite 1.6 billion, but it's a good start. At this pace I'll hit 1.6 billion in 22 thousand years.

I just got all the parts for .223 for my Dillon. I may have to get into three gun competition now

Just bought everything I need to load .45.  Too bad I can't find powder, primer, or bullets anywhere locally.

2013-03-13 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
Scored some powder/primers today as they were coming off the truck. Timing is everything.
2013-03-13 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4645408

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Left Brain - 2013-03-04 11:29 AM

In the spirit of gun threads and shot guns......here's a pic from a hunt I missed 2 weekends ago while I watched my kids at a swim meet.....yeah, that's 1122 geese. Laughing 

It's not a record for our group....but it's close.

Was reading along and... HOLY BOOTS!  What a day...  I thought our late season seaducking was good, but that's nuts.  And I bet they eat better than seaduck (because just about EVERYTHING does, although the kids like seaduck fingers wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalapeno on the grill well enough).

2013-03-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4658647

User image

Pro
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-03-13 3:42 PM

In the spirit of gun threads and shot guns......here's a pic from a hunt I missed 2 weekends ago while I watched my kids at a swim meet.....yeah, that's 1122 geese. Laughing 

Was reading along and... HOLY BOOTS!  What a day...  I thought our late season seaducking was good, but that's nuts.  And I bet they eat better than seaduck (because just about EVERYTHING does, although the kids like seaduck fingers wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalapeno on the grill well enough).

There was a time, in another life, when I killed ducks and geese from Canada to Mexico each season......but I never got on a seaduck hunt.  Since my kids have taken to triathlon and we are so busy with it I don't get out much anymore....but once they are grown, that hunt is high on my "to do" list.

And yeah, grilling them like that is always good....don't forget the cream cheese with the jalapeno.  I cut a slit in the breast and stuff them with it before they go on the grill.  Another way that doesn't come to mind very often for waterfowlers......cut the breasts into strips, soak them in milk, bread with flour and GARLIC POWDER....you can't use too much garlic.  They are delicious and keep well so that you get a few meals/snacks from them. 

If you ever want to kill all the snow geese you can handle I could hook you up with the right guys.......you'll need about 3 cases of shells for a weekend. Laughing 

2013-03-13 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

And in answer to earlier posts on shotguns...  I'm a duck hunter, so can only really comment on a couple kinds of shotguns, as that's all I own (although I have a CC permit as I'm in MA and that provides a LOT more flexibility here - didn't ever feel I needed when we lived for a time in PA and OH, so never had ones there).

Just got a youth Beretta 20g semiauto for the kids (my oldest is 12 and was allowed to hunt for the first time this year - and bagged THREE buffleheads on his first day, while my 10yo daughter and 8yo son watched).  The gun is terrific - easy to service, very nice wood stock, etc.  Highly recommend for youth or smaller women (fits my wife perfectly, though she is not a hunter - like to eat the birds but has no love of marshes!).

I have to admit, while I'm posting about the gun, all I can think about is how cool that hunt was.  The four of us on a small island in the sun, via canoe, in a salt marsh on the Cape.  Memories for all!

I shoot a Beretta 12g Whitewing O/U.  I LOVE this gun.  Never had an issue with it, despite using it as everything from an oar to a "goose startler" (my aim has improved over the years, but when I started I scared more geese than I eventually ate...).  Ridden hard (seaducking in late season is in some brutal conditions - lots of salt), and put away wet - but always performs.

I did try a Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12g in 3.5" this season, but that thing was a TOTAL pig (apologies to, it seems, everybody else on the planet that loves this gun).  Jammed every single time I used it.  Bent shells without firing.  Was almost dangerous... So bad that BassPro (bless 'em) let me return it.  Thinking on a Beretta A400 for late season next year, when the Eider down is so thick that you can whack 'em square with a 2.75" load of BB and they keep flying (unless you get a BB in their head, they're almost Kevlar ducks).

Or, I could just work more on that aim.  If you DO hit them in lips, a 410 will do (as my uncle can prove to anyone).

As for an 870, I did receive my Grandfather-in-law's VERY old 870 when he passed a couple years back - which is such a great thing to remember him by - but haven't brought it out in the field yet.  Despite its being nearly indestructable, I just can't bring myself to put it at risk!

Anyway, just my thoughts on this small part of "the" thread.  Smile

Matt

2013-03-13 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4658685

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Left Brain - 2013-03-13 5:11 PM
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-03-13 3:42 PM

There was a time, in another life, when I killed ducks and geese from Canada to Mexico each season......but I never got on a seaduck hunt.  Since my kids have taken to triathlon and we are so busy with it I don't get out much anymore....but once they are grown, that hunt is high on my "to do" list.

And yeah, grilling them like that is always good....don't forget the cream cheese with the jalapeno.  I cut a slit in the breast and stuff them with it before they go on the grill.  Another way that doesn't come to mind very often for waterfowlers......cut the breasts into strips, soak them in milk, bread with flour and GARLIC POWDER....you can't use too much garlic.  They are delicious and keep well so that you get a few meals/snacks from them. 

If you ever want to kill all the snow geese you can handle I could hook you up with the right guys.......you'll need about 3 cases of shells for a weekend. Laughing 

Thanks - I'll definitely try the recipe out!

I'm not hunting much these days either - just trying to make sure the seed is planted with the kids.  All three really love being outside, and my daughter is an ace at cleaning birds and fish.

I've actually been trying to figure out how to both do triathlon (wife and I - kids are intrigued but happy enough just doing short running races and swimming, with some riding for fun... we'll see) and also hunt.  The fall seasons compete, and getting long workouts in on a Saturday or Sunday after getting up at 0-dark-30 (not referencing the movie here) and humping deeks out and back is more challenge than I'm good for...

As for a snow hunt - one of my dreams....  Someday, for sure!  I'll make the same offer on seaducking.  My last hunt of the season was awesome - 1/2 day on a granite rock in the middle of Buzzard's Bay, then 1/2 day set up on the breakwater outside Dartmouth MA.  Shot over a dozen species (and ate 'em all) in 25-30kt winds with sleet and then almost whiteout snow (we were being safe, but the weather was just phenomenally terrible/terrific!).  Hunts for brant from the beach are also very cool, and very different for anyone not from the NE (OK, NE down to MD...).

Matt

2013-03-14 5:53 AM

User image

This past Sunday, a Chicago area church sponsored a Second Amendment Sunday filled with “assault” pop-tarts, “combat” cupcakes and a sheet-cake that featured a chocolate semi-automatic Glock handgun with a quote from Jesus that read “Blessed are the peacemakers.”

http://clashdaily.com/2013/03/church-celebrates-2nd-amendment-kids-...

Outstanding!
2013-03-15 7:02 AM

User image

Schumer's 'Background Check' Bill Criminalizes Most Gun Loans and Registers Firearms

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/14/schumers-background-check-bill-cr...
2013-03-15 8:11 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
No discussion on the Feinstein "6th grader" comment?

I find it interesting that a discussion we have had here dozens of times (limiting one amendment versus limiting another amendment) would send a 20 year senator into such an outburst at a public hearing.

2013-03-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4660755

User image

GomesBolt - 2013-03-15 9:11 AM

No discussion on the Feinstein "6th grader" comment?

I find it interesting that a discussion we have had here dozens of times (limiting one amendment versus limiting another amendment) would send a 20 year senator into such an outburst at a public hearing.

She is of the same thinking as many, including on here, are. I don't care what it takes, I just want them all illegal.

When you boil most of it down, that's what you end up with.
2013-03-15 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
That woman isn't wortth commenting on.

2013-03-15 8:51 AM

User image

It seems like an inferiority complex from both CA senators. "Call me Senator, not ma'am, I worked hard to earn it."

When one senator can't pose a legitimate question without getting a silly reaction like that we have a problem.

So once they waste a lot of time and our dollars on this bill that has no hope of passing the house, I wonder if they'll get back to work on important stuff like the debt.
2013-03-15 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4660837

User image

Pro

GomesBolt - 2013-03-15 8:51 AM It seems like an inferiority complex from both CA senators. "Call me Senator, not ma'am, I worked hard to earn it."

When one senator can't pose a legitimate question without getting a silly reaction like that we have a problem.

So once they waste a lot of time and our dollars on this bill that has no hope of passing the house, I wonder if they'll get back to work on important stuff like the debt.

Yes Ma'am.

2013-03-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4660770

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

DanielG - 2013-03-15 9:18 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-15 9:11 AM No discussion on the Feinstein "6th grader" comment?

She is of the same thinking as many, including on here, are. I don't care what it takes, I just want them all illegal. When you boil most of it down, that's what you end up with.

Yup and this is evident by her statement that there are two thousand firearms exempted and "isn't that enough?"   It's funny I was watching history channel this morning and it was a show on the revolution and a quote from a revolutionary general who said something to the effect that the colonial army had one advantage over the British army in that the colonials soldiers were fighting for "their natural rights, while the British were fighting for pay."

It's offensive that the notion that a natural/God-given/inalienable right, like all of those contained in the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, that  a person in power says we've given you a bunch of exception " isn't that enough"  It shows, contrary to her assertion of knowing the Constitution, that she has an attitude, at least about the 2nd Amendment that the right flows from the government to the people, rather than it being natural/god given/inalienable.  It turns the protection of the constitution on its head and in deed the entire theory of our basic form of government.

Additionally, someone needs to point out the list of exceptions, they include the Winchester Rifle, the Colt Army Revolver, 1885 high wall rifle, the Henry repeating rifle  Take a look at the list, the majority of firearms, at least on the original list of 800, are pre-WWII technology firearms.

(Also the reason there are so many exceptions is because the definition of 'assault weapon' in the bill is so amorphous that many of these classic and historical firearms would be classified as assault weapons under the definition.  For instance having a non-detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds...umm Henry Repeater holds up to 16 rounds...Uh Oh we need to do something about that...except it.   The number and type of exemptions shows the ridiculousness of the definition of assault weapon in the Feinstein legislation.   

2013-03-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4661040

User image

Brock Samson - 2013-03-15 11:52 AM

The number and type of exemptions shows the ridiculousness of the definition of assault weapon in the Feinstein legislation.   

They just want to get it passed. They'll eliminate the exemptions later.

Count on it.

Does ANYONE think that's paranoid thinking anymore or have enough of these been done for people to realize that's exactly what this is?

2013-03-15 11:03 AM

User image

It's paranoia until it happens.

Sad just sad.

But again, no chance at all that it passes the house.

2013-03-15 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4661044

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

DanielG - 2013-03-15 11:56 AM
Brock Samson - 2013-03-15 11:52 AM The number and type of exemptions shows the ridiculousness of the definition of assault weapon in the Feinstein legislation.   
They just want to get it passed. They'll eliminate the exemptions later. Count on it. Does ANYONE think that's paranoid thinking anymore or have enough of these been done for people to realize that's exactly what this is?

Dude...totally paranoid...no one wants to take your guns away from you....oh wait...Michael Moore just blogged that they should release the Newtown crime scene photos so that Americans will finally repeal the 2nd Amendment...

2013-03-15 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4661056

User image

GomesBolt - 2013-03-15 12:03 PM

It's paranoia until it happens.

Sad just sad.

But again, no chance at all that it passes the house.

That one's the distraction.

This one's the one that I hope gets drawn, quartered, shot, caught on fire and then fired into the sun:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/14/schumers-background-check-bill-cr...
Schumer's 'Background Check' Bill Criminalizes Most Gun Loans and Registers Firearms

2013-03-15 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

If it saves one life, just one life, its worth it..........................or whatever that quote was, something like that if i remember right.  well:

http://kdvr.com/2013/03/13/marine-with-concealed-carry-permit-stops-man-from-beating-woman/

happened not too far from where i live.  the one thing that isn't mentioned is that the police station (the main one of the two that are in the city) was only a quarter mile away, if that.

2013-03-15 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4661044

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

DanielG - 2013-03-15 11:56 AM
Brock Samson - 2013-03-15 11:52 AM The number and type of exemptions shows the ridiculousness of the definition of assault weapon in the Feinstein legislation.   
They just want to get it passed. They'll eliminate the exemptions later. Count on it. Does ANYONE think that's paranoid thinking anymore or have enough of these been done for people to realize that's exactly what this is?

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you... have you seen the recent DHS purchases?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48