BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by jmkizer

NAME: Tom, Fox, Foxy.

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB, IG: ponderingfox, Tw: albrechtmba

STORY: My brother did a tri back in 2011, and got me interested in it. I thought it over, and figured I could swim, bike, run, so let's do it. Did my first in 2012, and been in it since. Last year was a running year, and this year probably will be skewed that way as well. I prefer the short course stuff, which invariably confuses all the people who see me as active and assume I surely must run marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no pets. So, doubly single?

CURRENT TRAINING: Picking back up after finishing PT for an achilles issue that cost me six months of racing.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Will be posting to training log soon.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I really want to run a 19:xx 5k this year. And set some good HM PRs. And do my first HIM.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been a manatee for four or five years now. Once a manatee, always a manatee. I still feel a loyalty to the group.

And there it is!  Welcome back!

I see that you have a very specific time goal for your 5k.  Do you have a plan to get there?

I know I have the potential for it.  I think it's simply a matter of being consistent and not getting injured.  I've had a running injury every year since 2011.  I think I've solved all the puzzle pieces, and have invested in some preventative strength training.  I have some key races in mind that I want to do well at, and hope to have a productive first half of the year.

I think my training mix will be along the lines of a 4/2/2/1 for r/b/s/w.  I'm hoping the cycling will contribute to a better lower body health, as well as to aerobic fitness.  While maintaining that training for more tri stuff in the middle/latter part of the year.

I was just wondering if you've identified some key workouts to improve your speed, etc.

Once I get my base mileage up to a comfortable level (at least 20), I'll start doing more speed work.  But I've run a 21 min 5k before on 10 mi/wk, so there's that.  But my running buddy ran in HS and college, and she's going to make sure we get the speed work in.  We have some local tracks that we're going to be using in order to prep for some of our key April races.

Excellent!

2017-01-04 12:32 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by johnthecat
Originally posted by Jet Black

I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in this but

What's with the wacky weather?!

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

Tell me about it. This morning was the first time I've worn a shirt on a run since last Friday. I'm not sure I have enough clothes for what they're predicting here Sunday morning.
It's not going to be that cold!

Saw a Saturday low of 31 down there and wondering what the issue is?

2017-01-04 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

NAME: Tom, Fox, Foxy.

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB, IG: ponderingfox, Tw: albrechtmba

STORY: My brother did a tri back in 2011, and got me interested in it. I thought it over, and figured I could swim, bike, run, so let's do it. Did my first in 2012, and been in it since. Last year was a running year, and this year probably will be skewed that way as well. I prefer the short course stuff, which invariably confuses all the people who see me as active and assume I surely must run marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no pets. So, doubly single?

CURRENT TRAINING: Picking back up after finishing PT for an achilles issue that cost me six months of racing.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Will be posting to training log soon.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I really want to run a 19:xx 5k this year. And set some good HM PRs. And do my first HIM.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been a manatee for four or five years now. Once a manatee, always a manatee. I still feel a loyalty to the group.

And there it is!  Welcome back!

I see that you have a very specific time goal for your 5k.  Do you have a plan to get there?

I know I have the potential for it.  I think it's simply a matter of being consistent and not getting injured.  I've had a running injury every year since 2011.  I think I've solved all the puzzle pieces, and have invested in some preventative strength training.  I have some key races in mind that I want to do well at, and hope to have a productive first half of the year.

I think my training mix will be along the lines of a 4/2/2/1 for r/b/s/w.  I'm hoping the cycling will contribute to a better lower body health, as well as to aerobic fitness.  While maintaining that training for more tri stuff in the middle/latter part of the year.

I was just wondering if you've identified some key workouts to improve your speed, etc.

Once I get my base mileage up to a comfortable level (at least 20), I'll start doing more speed work.  But I've run a 21 min 5k before on 10 mi/wk, so there's that.  But my running buddy ran in HS and college, and she's going to make sure we get the speed work in.  We have some local tracks that we're going to be using in order to prep for some of our key April races.

I had a ton of success using Daniels Running Formula a couple of years ago.  PR'd a 5K in Oct @ 22:41 and then again in April the next year @ 21:55, so like 45 seconds.  I think I maxed at 25 mpw but the vast majority were in the 12-18 range.  I was only doing speed work 1x/week because I was tri training.  Increasing frequency to 5x/week really helped me, too, especially resisting injury.

2017-01-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Katy, Texas

Today I ran in short and a short sleeved shirt.  This weekend I will need to wear All The Things.

Tell me about it. This morning was the first time I've worn a shirt on a run since last Friday.

I'm not sure I have enough clothes for what they're predicting here Sunday morning.

28!!!!!!!! #texascold
2017-01-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I had a ton of success using Daniels Running Formula a couple of years ago.  PR'd a 5K in Oct @ 22:41 and then again in April the next year @ 21:55, so like 45 seconds.  I think I maxed at 25 mpw but the vast majority were in the 12-18 range.  I was only doing speed work 1x/week because I was tri training.  Increasing frequency to 5x/week really helped me, too, especially resisting injury.

I have that book.  The mileage for his 5k stuff starts at 40 mpw, so I'd need to figure out how to adapt it.

I'm also training for a HIM in May, so I'll be balancing the distance with the intensity.

2017-01-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Tell me about it. This morning was the first time I've worn a shirt on a run since last Friday. I'm not sure I have enough clothes for what they're predicting here Sunday morning.
28!!!!!!!! #texascold

The harder you run, the more heat you'll produce!

2017-01-04 2:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

I have that book.  The mileage for his 5k stuff starts at 40 mpw, so I'd need to figure out how to adapt it.

I'm also training for a HIM in May, so I'll be balancing the distance with the intensity.

I've worked with his stuff a fair amount too and do like it. I don't always follow exact, but try to pull things from it. I think the race specific plans (while good) can be a bit much for people who aren't really run focused. 3 hard runs a week is very common and that's going to be too much in multiple ways. I had trouble executing it. Somewhere in there he did say that the more priority run is earlier in the week, so with fewer miles it would seem to just do the first one.

I think a better option though would be to work with the more general red & blue plans than trying to look so race specific all the time, even if you really only care about the one distance. It's a trap that many can fall into. These are better designed for running year round and have a good amount of mileage plus hard work is only twice a week instead. I think one could swap some of the blue hard work over into the red plan at times too as the red can be very t-pace heavy while the blue will have a blend with more i-pace & some r-pace. I think the race specific plans will go better after executing these color plans first. Possibly several times in a row if you're having more of a run emphasized year (or longer). The race specific seem to be more for converting a decent general base instead of building up like more people may be used to seeing.

2017-01-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

I've worked with his stuff a fair amount too and do like it. I don't always follow exact, but try to pull things from it. I think the race specific plans (while good) can be a bit much for people who aren't really run focused. 3 hard runs a week is very common and that's going to be too much in multiple ways. I had trouble executing it. Somewhere in there he did say that the more priority run is earlier in the week, so with fewer miles it would seem to just do the first one.

I think a better option though would be to work with the more general red & blue plans than trying to look so race specific all the time, even if you really only care about the one distance. It's a trap that many can fall into. These are better designed for running year round and have a good amount of mileage plus hard work is only twice a week instead. I think one could swap some of the blue hard work over into the red plan at times too as the red can be very t-pace heavy while the blue will have a blend with more i-pace & some r-pace. I think the race specific plans will go better after executing these color plans first. Possibly several times in a row if you're having more of a run emphasized year (or longer). The race specific seem to be more for converting a decent general base instead of building up like more people may be used to seeing.

yeah, not much running and most of it hard seems like a good way to get injured.

Tom, I'd just figure out how to get your mileage up first without any intensity. Last winter/spring for ironman build, I got my running up to 40 mpw and all of it at endurance paces. I went out and did a sprint tri for fun before the ironman and ran 6:17/mile. I was floored. I ran 7/mile the previous fall in sprint tris. This would especially be a good plan for you since you're going to do a HIM too, you'll need a rather large base to run well in a HIM.

this is following the barryp plan

start with this one: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2548394

this one is all of his posts/articles: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485
2017-01-04 2:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

28!!!!!!!! #texascold

The harder you run, the more heat you'll produce!

Sunday is LSD day
2017-01-04 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Criminey, one short week out and I'm waaaaay behind!  Will post bio in a bit...

Just back on my feet.  We were in LA as a family last week to watch my oldest march in the Rose Bowl Parade (WAY COOL) and take some family SoCal vaca time. 

It was awesome (except for the 36 hours I spent in bed with the flu - fever broke at 0230 on day of parade and got up at 0420 to go spectate!). Band rocks!

Missed a week of running, which is a bummer as I was actually on a plan for the first time in like 2 years and enjoying it.  Back at it today, but still a bit wobbly on me feet.

Anywho, happy new year one and all!  May 2017 be an awesome (and injury/niggle free) superfuntime all around.

Matt

2017-01-04 4:17 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas
dang Matt, sorry to hear that you got that sick! Watching your child in the rose parade must have been awesome!

Yes, let's all stay injury free!!

On another note, my wife is experiencing taper fever for the first time right now and it's hilarious. Is it bad that I'm enjoying her ridiculousness?

2017-01-04 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black dang Matt, sorry to hear that you got that sick! Watching your child in the rose parade must have been awesome! Yes, let's all stay injury free!! On another note, my wife is experiencing taper fever for the first time right now and it's hilarious. Is it bad that I'm enjoying her ridiculousness?

That would be entertaining to watch. "No, honey, I'm pretty sure your leg is not on fire", "No, dear, I don't think those are the symptoms of the plague".

2017-01-04 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

One additional update.  As some of you know, I served as the Walk Chair for the Austin Light The Night (LLS) walk in 2016, sort of a combined personal (mother passed from leukemia a year prior) and professional (we got the first ever test cleared by the FDA to manage patients with leukemia in July) thing to which I couldn't say "no".

Well, I also set a goal to raise enough funds to name a research grant portfolio in honor of my mother and hit my target juuuuuust at the end of the year, thanks to many generous friends/family/colleagues.  So, there will now be an Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia grant given in memory of Diane Marie McManus from the national LLS, about which I could not be happier.

So, I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for the support over the last year and a half during her illness, passing and my subsequent work with LLS (and relative absence from training).  This being that moment, THANK YOU POD!

They asked me this morning to serve on the board of the Austin LLS, and I'm about 100% sure I'm going to (just want to make sure it's something I can commit to doing well first).  Maybe y'all will see me racing in purple this year instead of orange!   

It's OK, as I'm not as fast as orange is anymore anyway...  and it gives me an excuse besides getting time in the saddle to write T.I.T. 

Again, happy 2017.  Feels like a new year in lots of really great ways.

Matt

2017-01-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Jet Black dang Matt, sorry to hear that you got that sick! Watching your child in the rose parade must have been awesome! Yes, let's all stay injury free!! On another note, my wife is experiencing taper fever for the first time right now and it's hilarious. Is it bad that I'm enjoying her ridiculousness?

That would be entertaining to watch. "No, honey, I'm pretty sure your leg is not on fire", "No, dear, I don't think those are the symptoms of the plague".

No dear, you do not need to do a test tempo run to be sure your legs still work.  No sweetheart, you're not getting slower by taking one day completely off.  Yes dear, there are a lot more hours in the day than you remembered when you're not doing 20-milers...  No, you don't need to fill them back up with spin class to avoid getting out of shape over the last week.

Love me some taper madness (and so should you)!

Matt

2017-01-04 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

One additional update.  As some of you know, I served as the Walk Chair for the Austin Light The Night (LLS) walk in 2016, sort of a combined personal (mother passed from leukemia a year prior) and professional (we got the first ever test cleared by the FDA to manage patients with leukemia in July) thing to which I couldn't say "no".

Well, I also set a goal to raise enough funds to name a research grant portfolio in honor of my mother and hit my target juuuuuust at the end of the year, thanks to many generous friends/family/colleagues.  So, there will now be an Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia grant given in memory of Diane Marie McManus from the national LLS, about which I could not be happier.

So, I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for the support over the last year and a half during her illness, passing and my subsequent work with LLS (and relative absence from training).  This being that moment, THANK YOU POD!

They asked me this morning to serve on the board of the Austin LLS, and I'm about 100% sure I'm going to (just want to make sure it's something I can commit to doing well first).  Maybe y'all will see me racing in purple this year instead of orange!   

It's OK, as I'm not as fast as orange is anymore anyway...  and it gives me an excuse besides getting time in the saddle to write T.I.T. 

Matt

Lots of awesomeness here. Congrats on all of it. It'll be fun to watch it develop if you do join the board.

2017-01-04 4:30 PM

User image

Master

Matt

So awesome, Matt, congratulations!

2017-01-04 4:31 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Thank you for birthday wishes!

2017-01-04 4:44 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by IronOx

I missed that, happy birthday!
2017-01-04 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Criminey, one short week out and I'm waaaaay behind!  Will post bio in a bit...

Just back on my feet.  We were in LA as a family last week to watch my oldest march in the Rose Bowl Parade (WAY COOL) and take some family SoCal vaca time. 

It was awesome (except for the 36 hours I spent in bed with the flu - fever broke at 0230 on day of parade and got up at 0420 to go spectate!). Band rocks!

Missed a week of running, which is a bummer as I was actually on a plan for the first time in like 2 years and enjoying it.  Back at it today, but still a bit wobbly on me feet.

Anywho, happy new year one and all!  May 2017 be an awesome (and injury/niggle free) superfuntime all around.

Matt

Welcome back, McMatt!

I'm so sorry to hear that you were under the weather -- and while you were on vacation to boot!  As a former marching band member, I totally get how cool it is that kid march in the parade. It's definitely a favorite of mine!  

2017-01-04 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Matt

Congratulations!

2017-01-04 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Colors must not have been bright enough. 

2017-01-04 5:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas

Colors must not have been bright enough. 

I'm the guy that can't find something in the pantry when it's staring you in the face right up front at eye level.
2017-01-04 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

Congratulations, this is cool! And I'm sure purple is your color!!

2017-01-04 5:48 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open. Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch." This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case." She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are: 1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235; 2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined; 3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and 4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Your Mom is my hero! I am very glad she wasn't hurt worse!

Yep, this ^^^^

No joke! She is hard core! I think she be givin' you a run for your money on this competition!

Yep she is a pretty great tough lady. The chirp that she sees is a runner and also has some other sports science degrees so she has taped mum up in some way that will supposedly help reduce the bruising on her arm where she landed.

Mum got up and walked today with a friend she said there is a fair bit of blood on the foot path where she fell.
2017-01-04 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ditto, and ditto!!

Happy birthday and many happy returns.

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102