BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi Thor! Good to hear from you! 3 miles on the treadmill in Milwaukee last night. The little exercise room was so HOT! After 3 I just power walked for another 1.75 on an incline. Got in some weights after - mainly arms.

I stay at a hotel in CT that has about a 400 sq. ft. or so workout room, where they squeeze in 5 treadmills, 3 elipticals, 3 stationary bikes, a multi-use weight machine, three benches, and a decent size rack of dumbbells.  Sometimes there will be 15 people in there at 6 AM.  And there's no fan.  Why cant they put fans in hotel gyms????

Right?!?! Or a thermostat or something?

2018-01-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by aviatrix802

^^^^^. Sandi, I have the same question! I travel 4-6 days a week now and often only have hotel pools to work in and am researching pool tether systems.

Have you found out much of anything? I think I would be much more likely to swim if I had more flexibility, and if I didn't have to fight other swimmers in the lap lanes. Plus practically speaking, if I could do continuous swimming I'd just be a much stronger swimmer and it is SO hard to do a lot of OWS (or at least enough to become a real distance swimmer in the open water, which is the reason I've stuck with sprints).

Sandi

I've looked at a few different options and the prices vary wildly. The "Static Swim Belt" looks like the most comfortable belt but it's pricey at $130. The "swim tether travel pack" looks decent too with a beefy tube, but again a bit pricey at $79.95. Lane Gainer Sports Swim Belt is more reasonable and for the shorter cord (3 m) it's $30. Finally the "swim belt bungee" ranges from $13-$25 and is very basic with what looks like thinner rubber tubing. Some have a sort of sheath around the tubing which I like from the standpoint that if the tubing snaps you'd be less apt to get spanked by it. (you probably get what you pay for). Realistically we could make our own pretty easily but I think for my first one I'll buy one then replace parts as necessary as I get to know the system. I need one that packs fairly small and is lightweight for the weeks I'm gone for 6 days and only have a carry-on to pack in.
Finis also makes one but it's tough to pull up on their website.
2018-01-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Almost forgot the obligatory beer shot....my beverage last night. :D

(Von Trapp Dunkel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Von Trapp Dunkel.jpg (42KB - 4 downloads)
2018-01-24 10:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen how did your appointment go?! Also, the tattoo looks great!

I am still waiting to hear back on my MRI. Hadn't had one in awhile. It was overall painless, although I got a tickle in my throat during one of the last scans. I tried to fight it! I failed though, and had a coughing fit and had to redo one of them, but otherwise was fine. I'm currently laid up at home with my leg up, icing every hour or so and surrounded by monitors so I can work. It's actually a pretty nice setup, topped off by a cat laying on my legs

Hope everyone else is killing their goals this week!
2018-01-24 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Almost forgot the obligatory beer shot....my beverage last night. :D

That's a nice looking brew! We need to have more posts like this here in the BDAS

This morning I went for a 30' bike ride before work and will be hitting the pool after work. 

2018-01-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Fingers crossed for all the MRIs...

Yeah - no kiddin'.  It's an infirmary around here. 

2018-01-24 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Jenn - nice beer pic.  Agree that we need more of them around here.  Beers and pictures. 

Also, how's the hip?

Got in 45' on the TM today, 6' of it running.  I'm back to normal "E" pace on the TM, for a while there I had to go really slowly or my HR would just go nuts.  I seem to be getting my legs under me a little now.  Did a whole bunch of strength and core work afterwards while they were moving everything around the gym.  New pool opens February 15th!!

2018-01-24 1:40 PM

Nashville, Tennessee
@Jenn +1 on the beer pic, looks good

@Nicole Good luck with test results, gotta admit I was impressed when you said you did it playing football and then just went and joined you team for the meet anyways...kudos to that...

@Gretchen Good luck as well with test results this afternoon and love the tat, the color is great

I got in a 1500 yd swim today at lunch, about 28 min worth. I just got a pair of jammers and wore them for the first time today. Man I felt like I was flying compared to the regular swim trunks I've been wearing since November. That's my second swim of the week so I'll probably end up trading a swim for a bike and only getting one bike in this week, but we'll see. Hope everyone is having a great week...hump day is almost over.

Eric
2018-01-24 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

, Vermont
3 mile run followed by a short 500 yd swim right after. Have one of each s/b/r so I’m halfway to my goals this week. Planning on the gym again tomorrow; maybe bike before I go followed by a swim. I have to get all the bikes and swims I can when I’m home.
2018-01-25 7:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!

MRI results are back...

Doc says MRI should show the thing that is causing pain and give us ability to treat that thing. Reality is, my MRI showed four things wrong, all of which should cause different pain than what I am having! Awesome. Tendonitis is big on the list with several tendons involved, including Achilles. Arthritis in multiple joints, the most severe being the medial cuneiform joint with the intermediate cuneiform (along the very top of the foot near the ankle). HUGE heel spur (which is visible on the x-ray, so this isn't a surprise) and torn ligaments along the outside of my foot from an old sprain.

So, I'm pretty much back to square one with knowing what is causing the pain in my foot/ankle. Now we are going through this process of treat and see. We are going to treat one thing and see if it stops the pain. If it doesn't, treat the next likely cause. Yesterday I had a steroid shot into the subtalar joint, which involved putting a 4" needle all the way into my ankle! It was a thin needle, but he hit the bone twice trying to find the joint space, so it hurt quite a bit. Probably nothing compared to the back surgeries and knee surgeries some of you all have had! Heel spur and torn ligaments are last on the list because they require surgery (ugh).

Good News...doctor says I should go back to normal activity level!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! I can't tell you all how excited this is making me. I'm scheduled for the pool today, no pulling, just swimming!!! I'm excited!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all the support over these long months. Feels like forever!
2018-01-25 7:27 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Good News...doctor says I should go back to normal activity level!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! I can't tell you all how excited this is making me. I'm scheduled for the pool today, no pulling, just swimming!!! I'm excited!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all the support over these long months. Feels like forever!

YES!!!!  Our old Gretchen is back!  400 workouts in 2018 and....GO! 

2018-01-25 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Good News...doctor says I should go back to normal activity level!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! I can't tell you all how excited this is making me. I'm scheduled for the pool today, no pulling, just swimming!!! I'm excited!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all the support over these long months. Feels like forever!

Good luck, Gretchen.

And my back surgery didn't hurt, I was asleep. 

Speaking of back surgery - 1 year today.  Still a little pain in the facet joint, which we're going to address with a simple procedure (involving needles and burning - sounds like fun!) in early March.  Good news is that activity doesn't make it any worse, and sometimes better.  Going to focus on cycling this year, hoping to get a new ride and professional bike fitting (haven't had one since 2012...).

Today is supposed to be an almost two hour ride on the trainer, will probably do it in Zwift and watch some 2017 TdF.

2018-01-25 8:50 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

watch some 2017 TdF.

What Stage are you up to?

2018-01-25 8:56 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Speaking of Pro Cycling I am watching this year's Tour Down Under.  I had to pay for NBC Sports Gold cycling package to watch it this year though   

The race itself isn't terribly exciting, even by pro cycling TV standards (honestly - most races other than the one day classics are boring as hell to watch on TV - speaking as a guy who LOVES watching them).  It's just so great to see bikes out on the road again, when toiling away in New England winter looking longingly at my bike hanging in the garage every single day.  For me it's similar to when pro Golf starts up, or Baseball Spring Training games.  Looking at somewhere warm, sunny, and beautiful on TV beats the heck out of the dreariness out my window...  

2018-01-25 9:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Challenge accepted!

I have 7 so far.
2018-01-25 9:32 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All!

MRI results are back...

Doc says MRI should show the thing that is causing pain and give us ability to treat that thing. Reality is, my MRI showed four things wrong, all of which should cause different pain than what I am having! Awesome. Tendonitis is big on the list with several tendons involved, including Achilles. Arthritis in multiple joints, the most severe being the medial cuneiform joint with the intermediate cuneiform (along the very top of the foot near the ankle). HUGE heel spur (which is visible on the x-ray, so this isn't a surprise) and torn ligaments along the outside of my foot from an old sprain.

So, I'm pretty much back to square one with knowing what is causing the pain in my foot/ankle. Now we are going through this process of treat and see. We are going to treat one thing and see if it stops the pain. If it doesn't, treat the next likely cause. Yesterday I had a steroid shot into the subtalar joint, which involved putting a 4" needle all the way into my ankle! It was a thin needle, but he hit the bone twice trying to find the joint space, so it hurt quite a bit. Probably nothing compared to the back surgeries and knee surgeries some of you all have had! Heel spur and torn ligaments are last on the list because they require surgery (ugh).

Good News...doctor says I should go back to normal activity level!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! I can't tell you all how excited this is making me. I'm scheduled for the pool today, no pulling, just swimming!!! I'm excited!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all the support over these long months. Feels like forever!

Good news that you are able to go back to normal activity level! does it mean that whatever it is, it won't be made worse by running? strange but good for you!

2018-01-25 11:26 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Challenge accepted! I have 7 so far.

Looking forward to seeing your routine workout updates! Hopefully it does not aggravate the issues. 

Yesterday I got to the pool and realized I forgot to grab my swim gear, ugh! At least I had my morning bike ride so yesterday was not a total waste. This morning I went for a quick 3 mile run. Feels good to get back into the daily workouts.

2018-01-25 12:18 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Got in a lunchtime swim today. 1150 yards of actual swimming. No pull buoy!! It was awesome...and super awkward at the same time. I felt like I was drowning a little. Gotta get my form back! Doesn't matter, it was still awesome to get back in the pool with zero restrictions.

Natalie--doc says I gotta give things a try to see what will/won't aggravate it. I'm going ease back into running super slowly using a couch to 5K plan. It may be slower than I need, but I don't want to be in this situation again anytime soon.
2018-01-25 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

watch some 2017 TdF.

2 LOL  :-)

2018-01-25 1:56 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

watch some 2017 TdF.

2 LOL  :-)

It gets more interesting at Stage 4

2018-01-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #5236078

User image

, Vermont
@ Gretchen - so happy for you! (From the standpoint that you are cleared to full activities again). I hope they figure out what is causing the pain so you can be done with it and move on from it all with no worries. Now you can start racking up the workouts again! Woohoo!!

2018-01-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5236193

User image

, Vermont
30” on the trainer and 500 yds in the pool today. I just need one more bike and one more run to reach my goal for the week. I think next week I’ll increase both a bit.
I’m starting out with the “just finish” program from Be Iron Fit for IMLP to make sure I don’t increase anything too quickly and if things look like they’re going good and no injuries, I may move back into the intermediate plan again. Regardless, I’ll live somewhere between the two with traveling just from shear lack of bike workouts in particular. We’ll see. Next month I have a line with 15 days off so I’m hoping to get more consistent. At least I have one trip with 3 Charleston, SC overnights and another trip with 3 Columbus, OH overnights so I’ve been researching gyms in those areas.
2018-01-25 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So, after a bit of an absence I've tracked you down...

January has not gone well for me, things (work/baby/weather) keep getting in the way of exercise. And I've definitely regressed...So I'm back, I need some regular banter, and accountability...

NAME: Bullfrog

STORY: I did my first triathlon back in 2011, so I've got a bit of experience. I've gained and lost fitness and weight too many times over the years, I've done 12 sprints, 1 olympic and 3 70.3's, and last year, after finding out we were expecting our first child, I brought my plans forward and completed Ironman NZ (although woefully under prepared). Currently I'm too busy focusing on being a Dad to train 3 disclipines, so am sticking to running only. But, I want to run down that ironman finish chute again, so I will be back...

FAMILY STATUS: Married with an almost 8 month old son and 1 hyperactive dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running. Aiming for 5-6 days a week. Been managing 3 so far this year... not good enough.

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: Half marathons penciled in in April, July and November. But all may change.

BEER PREFERENCE: Depends on the day, but I'm starting to go off the super hoppy beers, my current fav is Montheiths hop rocker pilsner... not sure if you can find it in the US

WEIGHT LOSS: Have to lose like 100lbs... I don't want my boy to grow up with the fat dad who can't play...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I need accountability, and encouragement. And after 8 years or so of being at the back of triathlon packs I think I have a bit of knowledge to share too...
2018-01-26 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in about 90' on the trainer yesterday, mostly high Z2 up to sweet spot plus chasing down some pelotons in Zwift London. 

This morning was 1800 in the pool plus some strength training.  I felt AWESOME this morning, holding mid-1:40s on 100 repeats and wasn't even winded at all.  Maybe this swimming once a week thing is a good plan.  LOL

Happy Friday!

2018-01-26 7:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back Andrew!

30' on the spin bike at the gym (trainer isn't set up at home yet!). It was okay. No foot/ankle pain. The bike itself sucked--seat kept sliding down, couldn't clip in on one side--but that was my fault for choosing the wrong one. Feeling good with a 4 day streak going here. Longest in several months!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 54834 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14087 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363