Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-01-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3320491

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

Nice job getting in all the workouts.  Between MG and workouts you made the right choice.  As for catching up...read the last two pages and keep going.

Memarshall80 - 2011-01-25 11:16 AM

MG Team,

SO I have 30+ pages of catching up to do; I guess there has been a lot going on over the last 2ish weeks. Though I have been MIA, I have managed to get nearly 100% of my workouts in; the blog updates is a different issue. Between the freezing cold of Minneapolis/ Chicago and the warmth of Hong Kong and Singapore, I somehow found a pool, bike or track.

I hope everyone’s training/ racing is going well!

2011-01-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3321028

User image

Elite
san francisco
gdale - 2011-01-25 12:29 PM Greetings Peeps from Paris.  Got here earlier today after an overnight flight.  Didn't get a workout in today but did climb a good portion of the Eiffel Tower (upper most part was closed) so gave the legs some exercise after the 8 hour flight.  Tomorrow I head to Morocco...first time there (or anywhere in Africa for that matter) so it should be interesting.  Turn around and head home Friday so it will be a very quick trip.

Music...I will add one old school song - Rock Box - Run DMC...has a great beat that causes me to pick up the pace (and secretly gives me the urge to break dance again!). 

Country - blech...that is probably the one music genre that I don't care to listen to.  Just can't get into it.

Kyla and Erica - Rent is my favorite all time broadway show.  Love that soundtrack, although not for working out to.

Lots of other good stuff you guys have posted for me to pick through!!

Wow, something new about George!  Can you spin on your head, too?  Awesome! 
Have a wonderful trip and come back with lots of stories about all of the wonderful food and sights!
x4 on the awesomeness of Rent!
2011-01-25 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3321088

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Since we're all at it, here are a few I haven't seen

Save Me - Shinedown
Becoming the Bull - Atreyu
The Funeral  - Band of Horses
Check Your Head - Buckcherry
Love Removal Machine - The Cult
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Out of Control - Hoobastank
Home - Mark Broussard
Ali in the Jungle - The Hours
Blackened - Metallica
Seek and Destroy - Metallica
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
I left my wallet in el segundo - Tribe Called Quest

While I am not a big Eminem fan he does put out some good running songs.  I think Lose Yourself was voted top running song at one time by Runners World.  I have quite a few songs in my playlist that aren't normal listening songs but are great for upbeat running.
2011-01-25 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Hello, all!

Saw the doc.  Not torn, which is awesome news.  Pretty inflamed, not so great.  Few new (small) bone spurs, not fun. 

Absolutely no running for 2 weeks, then ease back in.  9 miles week 1, 18 miles week 2.

I know this is really as good as it could be - but I'm really bummed.  He doesn't want me upping the swim/bike mileage, although I don't have to stop.

Been reading about it online, think I'll ice everyday, also.

Gonna drive myself bonkers not running.  It's really been good for me.
2011-01-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3321367

User image

Master
velcromom - 2011-01-25 3:34 PM Hello, all!

Saw the doc.  Not torn, which is awesome news.  Pretty inflamed, not so great.  Few new (small) bone spurs, not fun. 

Absolutely no running for 2 weeks, then ease back in.  9 miles week 1, 18 miles week 2.

I know this is really as good as it could be - but I'm really bummed.  He doesn't want me upping the swim/bike mileage, although I don't have to stop.

Awwww, happy/sad for you. Did you have a specific injury, or did it just start hurting and keep hurting? Two weeks ain't so bad, and to be at 18 miles week 2 is very quick. Be careful as you ramp back up.

Just look at it as a two-week take-it-easy spell. You don't have to stop everything, just back off. You can spend your extra time typing up your recipes to post here.
2011-01-25 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3321088

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
kt65 - 2011-01-25 5:49 PM
gdale - 2011-01-25 12:29 PM Greetings Peeps from Paris.  Got here earlier today after an overnight flight.  Didn't get a workout in today but did climb a good portion of the Eiffel Tower (upper most part was closed) so gave the legs some exercise after the 8 hour flight.  Tomorrow I head to Morocco...first time there (or anywhere in Africa for that matter) so it should be interesting.  Turn around and head home Friday so it will be a very quick trip.

Music...I will add one old school song - Rock Box - Run DMC...has a great beat that causes me to pick up the pace (and secretly gives me the urge to break dance again!). 

Country - blech...that is probably the one music genre that I don't care to listen to.  Just can't get into it.

Kyla and Erica - Rent is my favorite all time broadway show.  Love that soundtrack, although not for working out to.

Have a wonderful trip and come back with lots of stories about all of the wonderful food and sights!

Better yet, can you spin on your head while doing the cow pose?   Just what does that pose have to do with cows anyway? 

2011-01-25 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3321367

User image

Elite
san francisco

Very glad it was/is an "itis".  You are way out from Big Sur so no rushing to get back too fast! 

I think your level of pain tolerance is higher than normal, Linda.  I like Kyla's idea about posting those recipes but you are so busy, I doubt you would have time for that!   

And when/if hubby says "told you so" tell him to get his knee looked at! 
2011-01-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3320491

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Memarshall80 - 2011-01-25 12:16 PM

MG Team,

SO I have 30+ pages of catching up to do; I guess there has been a lot going on over the last 2ish weeks. Though I have been MIA, I have managed to get nearly 100% of my workouts in; the blog updates is a different issue. Between the freezing cold of Minneapolis/ Chicago and the warmth of Hong Kong and Singapore, I somehow found a pool, bike or track.

I hope everyone’s training/ racing is going well!

Welcome back Mike and don't worry about the last 30 pages. Most of it was just jabbering between John and Kyla.

2011-01-25 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3321455

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
kt65 - 2011-01-25 4:41 PM

Very glad it was/is an "itis".  You are way out from Big Sur so no rushing to get back too fast! 

I think your level of pain tolerance is higher than normal, Linda.  I like Kyla's idea about posting those recipes but you are so busy, I doubt you would have time for that!   

Thanks, Kim!  You're right.......and it's not if, it's when.  Probably as soon as he calls tonight......
2011-01-25 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3321637

User image

Chatham Ontario
velcromom - 2011-01-25 8:50 PM

Thanks, Kim!  You're right.......and it's not if, it's when.  Probably as soon as he calls tonight......

Glad its not too bad.  Keep smiling 2 weeks will fly by before you know it.
2011-01-25 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3320509

User image

Chatham Ontario
Anne! - 2011-01-25 11:22 AM
Redknight - 2011-01-25 12:11 PM

I'm definitely a country music fan. One of my favorites for running is Garth Brooks. "Katie wants a fast one"

othersI like for trainer rides

tommyknockers ... blind guardian

rockin little town ... leonard skinner

disturbia ... rihanna

one way or another ...blondie

drunken lullabies ... flogging molly

She's a hottie ... toby keith

single ladies ... beyonce

burn it to the ground ... nickleback

tub thumping ... chumbawamba

ticks ... brad paisley

I love Burn It To The Ground... I usually hit repeat on that one a couple of time on a hard long run.

I do the same with Misery Business by Paramore.

Really once you listen to any nickelback song they all sound like a repeat... sorry just teasing Anne.

Pretty good songs on all these play lists, THANKS everyone for listing all of these. A few new ones I am going to have to download too.

1.5 more week of working long hours. My 12 hour days turned into 16 hour days now. So stick a fork in me I am done like dinner and no working out, I barely have time to sleep right now.

2011-01-25 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3319799

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
sdalessio - 2011-01-25 7:50 AM  

And continuing on the music note, I am totally not a country or western fan but there are some good songs from that genre.  Here are a couple I was thinking about - anyone have any other classics/suggestions.  Can you tell I'm on a music kick?!?! 

- Waylon Jennings, Don't Let Your Mamas Grow Up To Be Cowboys
- Charlie Daniels, Devil Went Down to Georgia
- Johnny Cash, Hurt, Ring of Fire
- Willie Nelson, Good Hearted Woman
- Kenny Rogers, Gambler (actually his entire greatest hits album is pretty good)
- Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places, Rodeo (maybe not classics but I like them)
- Toby Keith Red, White, and Blue (new but a good kick USA song)

I know there are a bunch more but I am terrible matching up songs and artists.

Just a quick scan through my country genre:

Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) - Big & Rich
What Was I Thinking - Dierks Bentley
Sideways - Dierks Bentley
9 to 5 - Dolly Pardon
Fall Into Me - Emerson Drive
A Feeling Like That - Gary Allan
Wild at Heart - Gloriana
Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson
Eastbound & Down - Jerry Reed
Nothin' to Lose - Josh Gracin
Who Wouldn't Want to be Me - Keith Urban
Red High Heels - Kelly Pickler
Reuben James - Kenny Rogers
Holler Back - The Lost Trailers
Rain is a Good Thing - Luke Bryan
When God Fearin' Women Get the Blues - Martina McBride
Gunpowder & Lead - Miranda Lambert
One in Every Crowd - Montgomery Gentry
Look at Me Now - Sixwire
Down in Mississippi (& Up to No Good) - Sugarland
Rough & Ready - Trace Adkins
Honky Tonk Badonkadonk - Trace Adkins

2011-01-25 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3321414

User image

Master
dcon - 2011-01-25 4:14 PM

Better yet, can you spin on your head while doing the cow pose?   Just what does that pose have to do with cows anyway? 

Good question! The more literal translation is COW FACE POSE. You should try to bring your feet back by your butt when doing the pose -- you are wrapped up very tightly, if your body can do that. Obviously, as with any Yoga, modify as necessary to suit your body and your moment. The following is picked up from a web site, because I don't have my Light On Yoga (Iyengar) book handy at the moment.

Gomukha Asan (The Cow-Face Pose)
It's called the Cow Face pose because, when seen from the front, the outline of the body is thought to resemble the broad mouth and narrow head of a cow.

"Placing the right ankle on the left side and the left ankle on the right side, makes Gomukha-asana, having the appearance of a cow ." Hatha-yoga pradipika I.22

"Place both feet on the ground with heels crossed under the buttocks. Sit straight and still, the mouth raised. This is called Gomukha-asana, resembling the mouth of a cow. "Gherunda-samhita II.16

Edited by kkcbelle 2011-01-25 10:44 PM
2011-01-25 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3321796

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
kkcbelle - 2011-01-25 11:43 PM
dcon - 2011-01-25 4:14 PM

Good question! The more literal translation is COW FACE POSE. You should try to bring your feet back by your butt when doing the pose -- you are wrapped up very tightly, if your body can do that. Obviously, as with any Yoga, modify as necessary to suit your body and your moment. The following is picked up from a web site, because I don't have my Light On Yoga (Iyengar) book handy at the moment.

Gomukha Asan (The Cow-Face Pose)
It's called the Cow Face pose because, when seen from the front, the outline of the body is thought to resemble the broad mouth and narrow head of a cow.

"Placing the right ankle on the left side and the left ankle on the right side, makes Gomukha-asana, having the appearance of a cow ." Hatha-yoga pradipika I.22

"Place both feet on the ground with heels crossed under the buttocks. Sit straight and still, the mouth raised. This is called Gomukha-asana, resembling the mouth of a cow. "Gherunda-samhita II.16

Good info, Kyla.  I hadn't herd any of that before.  I thought it was called the Cow Pose because it was udderly impossible to get yourself into that position.  No matter how hard I tried, I cudn't get my hands to touch, so I figured I butter quit while I was still able to moove.  

2011-01-26 5:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

And for those of us still doing the "off-season" hustle, what are you doing to make this time period fun? worthwhile?

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-01-26 5:14 AM
2011-01-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3321939

User image

New user
Ottawa
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 6:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

And for those of us still doing the "off-season" hustle, what are you doing to make this time period fun? worthwhile?

I don't have any races for a while yet... we're buried under a couple of feet of snow and the -30C weather is putting a real damper on things here in Ottawa.

However, I'm "fortunate" to have an indoor 400m track in  my 'hood so tonight I'll be running under the dome.  That's what I'm doing these days for "fun."

2011-01-26 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
David - cute..looks like you were up late and the cow pic inspired you.

Kyla:  thanks for the cow pic.  Now how about one of her in doing the cow pose.

2011-01-26 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3321637

User image

Champion
velcromom - 2011-01-25 9:50 PM

2 weeks off isn't bad at all in the grand scheme of things.  Fitness will still be there, probably even better with a bit of rest.
2011-01-26 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 6:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

No racing here.

LOL, right now (once I get back up to speed) it's all about not getting dropped in the first few miles of Battenkill which is in 70 some days.  Thats good motivation for me.
2011-01-26 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Once again no racing up here in the frozen North. Although its not so frozen in Guelph. Only -5 today. Fun. Lets see. lots of training with good friends. I am doing more of the coaching for our tri club which I really enjoy.I am feeling much better about the triathlon year already. My body is responding pretty well to the additional demands of some twice daily workouts. I am going to increase these workouts and rock the Guelph Tri this year.

I think I have become the official babysitter of grandchildren whenever they are sick. My granddaughter was sick last week and at one point I had ended up holding two handfuls of puke while she was doing the cookie toss in our front room and once she finally got to the bathroom and my hands washed I had to hold back her hair till she finished.  That wasn't nice but then she went and sat with my wife and fell asleep while I cleaned up. I think I should have had that privilege Oh...  also I seem to be a semi professional furniture mover and painter for my daughters. If I could only get paid for that I would be semi-rich with all the moves and work they want done

Edited by Redknight 2011-01-26 8:10 AM
2011-01-26 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3322097

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Redknight - 2011-01-26 8:08 AM

Once again no racing up here in the frozen North. Although its not so frozen in Guelph. Only -5 today. Fun. Lets see. lots of training with good friends. I am doing more of the coaching for our tri club which I really enjoy.I am feeling much better about the triathlon year already. My body is responding pretty well to the additional demands of some twice daily workouts. I am going to increase these workouts and rock the Guelph Tri this year.

I think I have become the official babysitter of grandchildren whenever they are sick. My granddaughter was sick last week and at one point I had ended up holding two handfuls of puke while she was doing the cookie toss in our front room and once she finally got to the bathroom and my hands washed I had to hold back her hair till she finished.  That wasn't nice but then she went and sat with my wife and fell asleep while I cleaned up. I think I should have had that privilege Oh...  also I seem to be a semi professional furniture mover and painter for my daughters. If I could only get paid for that I would be semi-rich with all the moves and work they want done

You sound like a great grandpa!  Smile  Your daughters are very lucky.

2011-01-26 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3322106

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2011-01-26 9:16 AM
Redknight - 2011-01-26 8:08 AM

You sound like a great grandpa!  Smile  Your daughters are very lucky.

Yeah can we ship our kids up to you when they get sick?
2011-01-26 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 5:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

Nothing this weekend.  Fun and worthwhile?  I am enjoying my current training schedule.  More running which is hard for me to believe is my favorite discipline.  I have 2 bikes and 1 swim a week which is easy for me to fit in.  They tend to be the most time consuming workouts b/c of getting to the pool or having to ride on the trainer late at night.

My house is cleaner.  I am more relaxed and can spend more time w/ the kids.  I haven't been on the verge of tears from stress trying to get everything done for months.  I'm loving it.  And I've gotten decent sleep.  YEAH!!!!!!
2011-01-26 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 5:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

I'm racing!!!  Yay!!!  I've been waiting all month to say that...

30 minute TTT on Saturday!  Goal WAS 19.5mph, but I'm thinking so long as I'm 19+, I'll be proud of it.  I won't be doing my typical bike workout Friday morning (since I'm doing Jorge's plan, and it's a tough ride planned that day, so not a good idea before a 30 minute all out effort), and I'm just going to get in a 3-5 mile run instead.  I'm excited!
2011-01-26 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 4:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

No races this weekend just training
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171