BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-16 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4051237

User image

Master
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
kt65 - 2012-02-16 11:55 AM
kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 9:44 AM

kt65 - 2012-02-16 9:10 AM Shooting is fun! Portland Rev3 procrastinators---$20 off on active schwaggle today. Just saying' . Still trying to think of my one thing. Too many to choose from. I have to wait until 2016 for our Australia trip.

Not seeing the deal... wah!!! That would be enough to make it final for me!

And Dino, yeah, you're right. Poor Trip-Trashcan-Head. That certainly damaged his street cred around the Labs that he trains with!!

The coupon code is REV3ACTIVE12.  I love Trip.  He is priceless. 

Anyone who says such nice things about my 3rd baby gets free sushi when they come visit me. Promise!!

Oh, and thanks for the coupon code...

I'M OFFICIALLY REIGSTERED!! Woo hoo!!! So that makes Roni, Linda (+fam), Ryan, and me thus far. C'mon, the rest of you... it's time to throw down!!!

2012-02-16 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4051556

User image

Elite
Raleigh
velcromom - 2012-02-16 4:52 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-02-16 1:41 PM
velcromom - 2012-02-16 3:06 PM

Hey all!

I'm going to steal most of your goals - I especially like the personalizing the house.    The only difference is that we've been here 5 years.  eek.  All we've painted is the master bedroom.  It IS gorgeous - faux painted and really  nice window coverings.  The rest of the house: white.  Maybe 2012 will be the year of color!!

I ran today, and it was my best training run ever, I think.  Today's Jeff's birthday, and he's in Boston.  Figured I'd run it fast, and tell him it was in his honor. jk.  But - wow!  I did! 

Serious question for the group, however....  I don't have a coach, or a plan, really.  Should I be deliberately doing runs slower/faster?  Trying to hold a specific pace?  I pretty much go out and do the best I can do on any given day - and it varies a lot, depending on weather, my route (hills versus rollers, trail versus road), how I feel (fighting a cold, bad RA day, etc).

OTHER THAN nutrition.....any suggestions?  We all know how bad my nutrition is.  In fact, I may need to have a glass of wine early tonight,  in honor of Jeff's birthday!

ETA:  plan in question is for running Boston fast.....super secret goal of sub 3:45.  Fastest marathon (Big Sur) is 3:49; Boston time in 2010 was 4:05.  Napa (2009) was 3:59; Silicon Valley (2010) was also 3:59.

I love that you're a multiple Boston Qualifier and  you ask if you should have a plan.  Now that is funny. I think Twin is in the best position to talk about it, but in my humble opinion a plan is a good thing to follow.  Might be a little late in the game, but 6 weeks is better than nothing.    And yeah, pre and post nutrition is important....feel like we've been down this road before.Tongue out.....The only reason I guess I am glad that I am not a "skinny girl" is it forces the issue of nutrition.  Eat well, stay lean.  Eat poorly, stay a Fatty (ha!).

I DO know how important nutrition is.....it is truly my weak link.  And I AM working on it.  And I wasn't always skinny - I'm down 45 pounds from 2006.

As for the plan.....I pretty much just run. and bike.  and sometimes swim.  Followed Jeff's rather loose interpretation of an IM training plan, based upon our Tri-club's coach's generic plan.  Worked it around life, rather than life around it.  Needed to do it that way, with kids and such.  Really like/liked the running, spent more time on it, got faster.  It helped to start older - BQ cuts are much easier.

I'm 8 weeks and 4 days out.  Just wondering if I should put more structure into this, or just keep on keepin' on.  Number one goal is to stay healthy and uninjured - something that has been a big issue!

Finally, if you're bored....I posted in COJ about a confrontation at my pharmacy.  Don't need to re-type it - but your opinions would be welcome!!

Off to stretch - and roller - and maybe nap a bit!!

I read you post in COJ and I agree with most of the respoonses. I am very glib and would not have let her comment stand. I would have been indignant and said "How dare you try to put a value on my life!" "Maybe I am the worlds most successful advocate for childrens health issues!" "In any event, if she would stop eating, the food she consumes could go to feed starving kids that need it! You can choose to remain quiet and leave everyone wondering if you are an idiot. Or you can open your mouth, like you did, and prove to everyone!"

2012-02-16 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4051946

User image

kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 9:03 PM
kt65 - 2012-02-16 11:55 AM
kkcbelle - 2012-02-16 9:44 AM

kt65 - 2012-02-16 9:10 AM Shooting is fun! Portland Rev3 procrastinators---$20 off on active schwaggle today. Just saying' . Still trying to think of my one thing. Too many to choose from. I have to wait until 2016 for our Australia trip.

Not seeing the deal... wah!!! That would be enough to make it final for me!

And Dino, yeah, you're right. Poor Trip-Trashcan-Head. That certainly damaged his street cred around the Labs that he trains with!!

The coupon code is REV3ACTIVE12.  I love Trip.  He is priceless. 

Anyone who says such nice things about my 3rd baby gets free sushi when they come visit me. Promise!!

Oh, and thanks for the coupon code...

I'M OFFICIALLY REIGSTERED!! Woo hoo!!! So that makes Roni, Linda (+fam), Ryan, and me thus far. C'mon, the rest of you... it's time to throw down!!!

Thanks for the coupon, Kim! I'm officially registered for the Oly!

2012-02-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Got this from a friend on Facebook:

edit:  hmmm...too small...will try another way later

edit 2: there...that's much better

Edited by dcon 2012-02-16 9:59 PM

(cyclist take 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cyclist take 3.jpg (99KB - 10 downloads)
2012-02-16 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Thanks for the input and support, all!  Suzy - I know you've got my back on nutrition....I AM working on it!!  John - I'm taking that as a compliment. !!

Compressed story.....I was a bit heavier than I'd like to be (20 lbs?) after having 3 babies, and not doing much.  Started swimming and things looked up.  Got pretty sick (after a ski trip to Whistler - dang Canadians!) and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.  Diagnosis was a viral infection....affected many organs - heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas.  Developed a hospital-borne infection: MRSA.  Follow-up visits diagnosed RA, and lung cancer.  More hospital stays, PET scans and surgical biopsies.  BEST news: NOT lung cancer.  Sucky news: Chronic Bronchiolitis Obliterans, and RA.  Result: 16 weeks of very high-dose prednisone (+ the taper down), huge weight gain and horrible quality of life.  Lucky my marriage, my kids and myself survived - times we didn't think ANY of us would.   Really can't think of a situation that would ever entail me going back on prednisone like that - truly a nightmare.

Next 1.5 years included a few other fun diagnoses - but all managable.  Some actually caused weight LOSS!  (Love the gastroenterologist!) August 2008 I watched Jeff do IMCA.  Then my doc told me I wasn't really a candidate for 'remission' so I decided to do an Ironman.  Meds and couch surfing wasn't working, so I didn't have much to lose.  Not really that glib - but really that sudden.  Signed up for IMWI, and ran my first 3 miles in September.  Started signing up for races because I got scared.  SJ rock-n-roll HM was October 4, 2008, Napa marathon was 3/2009.

I think the number is about 47 pounds from August of 2006 to now.....but the number is really not that important.  Well, okay - kinda.  It was more the day of IMAZ!

Here we are.  Not always fun - but always good.  Not always easy, but always worth it.  This group - AMAZING.

2012-02-16 10:47 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Thanks for sharing Linda - you've been through so much and still come back to accomplish so much more.   You are one tough lady.  

2012-02-16 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Wow, what a ride, Linda!  Thanks for sharing. 

This group is amazing because it is comprised of amazing people like you. 

2012-02-17 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4052102

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2012-02-16 11:01 PM

Thanks for the input and support, all!  Suzy - I know you've got my back on nutrition....I AM working on it!!  John - I'm taking that as a compliment. !!

Compressed story.....I was a bit heavier than I'd like to be (20 lbs?) after having 3 babies, and not doing much.  Started swimming and things looked up.  Got pretty sick (after a ski trip to Whistler - dang Canadians!) and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.  Diagnosis was a viral infection....affected many organs - heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas.  Developed a hospital-borne infection: MRSA.  Follow-up visits diagnosed RA, and lung cancer.  More hospital stays, PET scans and surgical biopsies.  BEST news: NOT lung cancer.  Sucky news: Chronic Bronchiolitis Obliterans, and RA.  Result: 16 weeks of very high-dose prednisone (+ the taper down), huge weight gain and horrible quality of life.  Lucky my marriage, my kids and myself survived - times we didn't think ANY of us would.   Really can't think of a situation that would ever entail me going back on prednisone like that - truly a nightmare.

Next 1.5 years included a few other fun diagnoses - but all managable.  Some actually caused weight LOSS!  (Love the gastroenterologist!) August 2008 I watched Jeff do IMCA.  Then my doc told me I wasn't really a candidate for 'remission' so I decided to do an Ironman.  Meds and couch surfing wasn't working, so I didn't have much to lose.  Not really that glib - but really that sudden.  Signed up for IMWI, and ran my first 3 miles in September.  Started signing up for races because I got scared.  SJ rock-n-roll HM was October 4, 2008, Napa marathon was 3/2009.

I think the number is about 47 pounds from August of 2006 to now.....but the number is really not that important.  Well, okay - kinda.  It was more the day of IMAZ!

Here we are.  Not always fun - but always good.  Not always easy, but always worth it.  This group - AMAZING.

i'm sitting in my office with a big smile on my face.  this is SO AWESOME!!!   not the part where canda f'd you.. but the rest.   and heck yeah that's compliment!!!!   but seriously, go clean your garage.

you're so f'ing AWESOME!!!!!! 

2012-02-17 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Linda, I thought you were cool before, now I am in awe.  Some people would have rolled up in a ball and did the Kyla WA!, but not our Linda.  Perfect.  Glad you're part of this posse.

I have a personal problem.  Starting on Monday I have 6am Master's Swim class.  The problem, I have been waking up at 6am or later (I don't use an alarm).  I NEVER SLEEP LATE except for when I come back from Hawaii, but it's gotta stop.  I have to get my crap together before I have to jump into a 77F highschool pool.Surprised

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-02-17 6:44 AM
2012-02-17 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
You are AMAZING, Linda!!!
2012-02-17 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Linda you truly are an inspiration and an example of the human spirit.  A strong mind can overcome so much in life.  Thanks for sharing!

2012-02-17 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4052300

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2012-02-17 4:44 AM

Linda, I thought you were cool before, now I am in awe.  Some people would have rolled up in a ball and did the Kyla WA!, but not our Linda.  Perfect.  Glad you're part of this posse.

I have a personal problem.  Starting on Monday I have 6am Master's Swim class.  The problem, I have been waking up at 6am or later (I don't use an alarm).  I NEVER SLEEP LATE except for when I come back from Hawaii, but it's gotta stop.  I have to get my crap together before I have to jump into a 77F highschool pool.Surprised

What's the Kyla WA?

Agreed with all -- thanks so much for sharing, Linda!! You are amazing, awesome, incredible, not to mention beautiful, strong, and downright fun to be around!!! 

Suzy... yikes!!! What's the time difference for you from Hawaii? 6 or 7 hours? Egads! I hope by Monday it's all turned around for you so you can get your chilly wake-up on and you can tell us allllllll about it. I think a Masters program will be super-duper fabulous for you!

2012-02-17 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

Hey gang!
Been on the road this week for work, missed a lot of good stuff it seems.  Used the week as a low volume recovery week, kinda worked out after the 14K race last weekend.

Linda - WOW! Truely an amazing woman and an inspirational story of human will power.  Thank you for sharing!

No racing this weekend... looking forward to a long relaxing run on Sunday.  Might do some hiking on Saturday if the weather permits.  
Did my 6 miles last night in the rain, I actually enjoy running in the rain but clothing is tricky...  47*F and raining and I was still overdressed... the human body is a furnace when you turn it up!

2012-02-17 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4052102

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
velcromom - 2012-02-16 9:01 PM

Hey now...... blame Canada? Maybe Canada did that to toughen you up. or maybe jeff slipped you something back then 'cause he wanted an IM wife eventually?Amazing story story Linda. I had no idea.
2012-02-17 9:08 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Out in Banff for a few days..... Went for a nice run out here yesterday, and today we are cross-country skiing. Never cross-countried before. Should be interesting.
2012-02-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4052300

User image

SSMinnow - 2012-02-17 7:44 AM

Linda, this was my reaction, too, reading your story! You are so brave, and super tough. 

Suzy, you've got this. You're brave and super tough, too! That does sound cold, though, and I like cold pools!

2012-02-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4051643

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Tobey91 - 2012-02-16 5:25 PM

Stretching/rolling question:

So while stretching with my coach/trainer after a weights session last night I (re)learned how tight my IT band is and also learned how tight the outsides of my glutes are.  The first is not a surprise, but the second is.  I mean I guess it should not have been -- I have noticed that when doing squats, my knees often slightly track outwards rather than forward.  My coach/trainer said last night that he has noticed that sometimes my knees track slightly outward when riding as well. 

So I want to make both less tight.  I assume that doing so is a combination of stretching and foam rolling.  Unless I am mistaken, the foam rolling of those areas should be relatively straightforward.  Any recommendations on good stretches -- both for my IT band and for the outside of my glutes? Any other recommendations for those problematic areas?

Thanks.

Hey Tobey, have issues with Piriformis stretches as well.  Here is a simple and effective one.

Sit on a chair with your legs crossed like a guy (one foot resting on the opposite knee - not the thighs touching lady style)

Keeping your back straight and don't let your legs slide, simply lean forward.

YOu can do this on the floor as well but instead of leaning forward pull your legs towards you.  An advanced version of this is laying on  the floor with the ladies leg crossed position and grab your feet and pull towards you.

2012-02-17 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Linda, you are simply beautiful!!
2012-02-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4052693

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2012-02-17 7:28 AMLinda, you are simply beautiful!!

XxX a million!

Hey, what IS the Kyla wa? Is it like my WAH!!!?

William, those stretches that Tracy described are great, I do them regularly, too!

2012-02-17 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4052756

User image

Master
Maryland
kt65 - 2012-02-17 10:43 AM

XxX a million!

William, those stretches that Tracy described are great, I do them regularly, too!

Thanks for sharing Linda, your inspiring story helps me. You are AMAZING, strong and yes beautiful!!

2012-02-17 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Thanks, guys.  I did PLENTY of curling into a ball and 'WAH'ing. Blamed people (like them Canadians, and Jeff!), cursed my luck and various other unproductive activities.  I have very supportive friends and family, I can afford good medical care, and I really have come to understand how blessed I am - it could be SO much worse, and it is for so many others. 

One of the biggest issues that I struggle with is the concept of an 'invisible disease'.  I don't look sick....ergo....must not be.  I know there are plenty of others in this group that understand and live with this also.  My daughter has Crohn's, and the problems we had with teachers, coaches, etc dealing with this issue was unreal.  Our entire family has learned much about not judging people by appearances!  So have a few teachers/coaches that crossed this mama bear's path!!

Once again - you guys are all amazing!  Carry on - I apparently need to go clean my garage.

Suzy - you may need to set the double alarms for a bit!

Piriformis stretch - lie on your back, tush up against the wall, legs straight up.  Slide 1 foot down until knee is bent perpendicular to the floor, cross other foot onto that knee.  Press lightly on top knee.  PT gave me this one.

2012-02-17 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
ooooh.  velcromom.  tomorrow is national drink wine day!!!! 
2012-02-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4052756

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2012-02-17 9:43 AM

XxX a million!

YES!  Was that yours?  I could have sworn it was Kylas! 

I was all excited to do my long run outside which includes some speedwork tomorrow.  Roads were nice and clear and this morning I drive to the pool and it starts snowing, HARD.  Really?  I know it's only February, but we've had almost no snow this winter.  WAH!

2012-02-17 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Linda- very inspirational.  Thanks for sharing.  (did Napa in 2010 and is still my favorite marathon)
2012-02-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4052893

User image

Master
Maryland

fattyfatfat - 2012-02-17 11:18 AM ooooh.  velcromom.  tomorrow is national drink wine day!!!! 

Nice! I gotta google that one : )

Edited by Terps421 2012-02-17 1:30 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117