BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Does anyone race with elastic laces?

I'm watching a lot of the WTS races, and how the pros do transitions.  One of the things that stands out to me is that they don't tie their shoes, but have elastic laces. I know I lose time due to that, for sure.  I should probably switch from road bike shoes to tri bike shoes also so I can have them set up on the bike already.

Yeah. I'd highly recommend it for triathlon.

Not just for the time lost due to tying shoes in transition but also to mitigate the risk of them coming untied at any point during the run. 

What do you think about racing barefoot vs. putting socks on?

First thing I did when I got a new pair of shoes for tri is replace the laces with Yankz.  I like them for two reasons:
1) Way easier than tying
2) I never feel like I can tie just the right amount.  They were always too tight or too loose.

Also I raced sockless for everything below HIM.

Yes, sockless, not barefoot.

I've still used socks on the run because I still use them on the bike. Think I could use these shoes sockless as they are meant for it, but taking off socks would be a waste of time.

2015-05-01 4:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
So today we went from sunny and 85* in Moab to cold and snowing in Vail.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1220KB - 6 downloads)
image.jpg (1542KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-01 4:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Calling all trail-running, beer-loving Manatees!  Burning Can Beer Relay.  There's one here in Lyons, CO, on 5/30 and one in Henderson/Brevard, NC, on July 18.  Each person runs a 5k lap and you get 2 min. off each lap if you drink a beer before you start.  Oskar Blues is the sponsor, so it'll be decent beer.  Details are a little sketchy and they can't seem to spell "inaugural" right - they got it wrong on both websites - but it still looks like it could be fun.

2015-05-01 4:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

I'm watching a lot of the WTS races, and how the pros do transitions.  One of the things that stands out to me is that they don't tie their shoes, but have elastic laces. I know I lose time due to that, for sure.  I should probably switch from road bike shoes to tri bike shoes also so I can have them set up on the bike already.

Not just for the time lost due to tying shoes in transition but also to mitigate the risk of them coming untied at any point during the run. 

First thing I did when I got a new pair of shoes for tri is replace the laces with Yankz.  I like them for two reasons:
1) Way easier than tying
2) I never feel like I can tie just the right amount.  They were always too tight or too loose.

Yes, sockless, not barefoot.

I've still used socks on the run because I still use them on the bike. Think I could use these shoes sockless as they are meant for it, but taking off socks would be a waste of time.

I think I'll try running sockless on some short runs and see how that turns out.  Shouldn't be a problem to experiment around.

2015-05-01 4:21 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner So today we went from sunny and 85* in Moab to cold and snowing in Vail.

Gorgeous picture!  Sucky CO spring weather.  It's cloudy and rainy here in Denver today.  Should be good for Sunday, though.  Forecast says high in the low 70's and partly cloudy.

2015-05-01 4:29 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner So today we went from sunny and 85* in Moab to cold and snowing in Vail.

Gorgeous picture!  Sucky CO spring weather.  It's cloudy and rainy here in Denver today.  Should be good for Sunday, though.  Forecast says high in the low 70's and partly cloudy.

That really is a great picture.  Makes me want to be there to see it, too!  Got to love the western vistas.

2015-05-01 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

A definate yes on elastic laces.  It often takes a run or two to get the tension just right but then you never have to think about it again.

I race with socks for HIM and IM but anything shorter is sockless.  For road races, I usually go sockless for 5k and wear socks for anything longer. 

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-01 4:43 PM
2015-05-01 4:43 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Calling all trail-running, beer-loving Manatees!  Burning Can Beer Relay.  There's one here in Lyons, CO, on 5/30 and one in Henderson/Brevard, NC, on July 18.  Each person runs a 5k lap and you get 2 min. off each lap if you drink a beer before you start.  Oskar Blues is the sponsor, so it'll be decent beer.  Details are a little sketchy and they can't seem to spell "inaugural" right - they got it wrong on both websites - but it still looks like it could be fun.

omg maybe I could scratch the surface of the 16s in a 5K finally!

This actually looks really awesome. I wish I had more time to plan!

2015-05-01 4:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Beautiful pics TJ

Enjoy your bday weekend! After my race I too am off for an adventure! My week off starts righhhhhhht....now!

I leave you with this to start your weekend: https://www.facebook.com/soundsofkoyote/videos/820988127963224/?fref=nf

2015-05-01 5:04 PM

User image

Denver, CO

omg maybe I could scratch the surface of the 16s in a 5K finally!

This actually looks really awesome. I wish I had more time to plan!

Have to admit, I immediately thought of you when I got the email about it. 

2015-05-01 6:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
May 2-3
Adrienne - Grand Ridge 5 mile trail run on Saturday
Kate - Parkway 1/2 Marathon on Satudray
Janyne - White Lake International (ala Oly) tri on Saturday
MR Matt MS - Mississippi Gran Prix Omnium (all weekend)
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama
Jonathan - Tri Tyler Olympic on Sunday
Emily - Esprit de She Tri Tempe on Sunday
Kirsten - Vancouver Half Marathon on Sunday

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

Mike, stay safe in Bmore!

Strava update, if you aren't following Robin, you should be! 

Race well, heal up, stay safe and enjoy whatever your weekend brings!!!!

2015-05-01 6:28 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

1) Way easier than tying

After the bike in my Olympic last year my hands were numb and I couldn't tie my shoes. I had to have a volunteer tie them for me. When I did the Harvest Moon Half Ironman I used Yankz so I wouldn't have to feel like a 4 year old again. I hated them. I have nerve damage on my foot from the foot and ankle surgery and with regular laces I can tied the laces in a way that doesn't cause as much pain. With the Yankz I couldn't do that. When I got my Hokas I tried the elastic laces for a bit before returning to regular laces again.

As for socks, if it's warm I bike sockless but run with socks. I just prefer to ride sockless. I will, however, wear socks for the Full.
2015-05-01 7:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
May 2-3
Adrienne - Grand Ridge 5 mile trail run on Saturday
Kate - Parkway 1/2 Marathon on Satudray
Janyne - White Lake International (ala Oly) tri on Saturday
MR Matt MS - Mississippi Gran Prix Omnium (all weekend)
Michael - Bo Bikes Bama
Jonathan - Tri Tyler Olympic on Sunday
Emily - Esprit de She Tri Tempe on Sunday
Kirsten - Vancouver Half Marathon on Sunday

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled List:
Stacey - back

Mike, stay safe in Bmore!

Strava update, if you aren't following Robin, you should be! 

Go racers, go!!! Heal Stacey, heal!

Happy Cake Day, TJ!

Now as for the Strava, let's just hope this transfers over to race days!
2015-05-02 8:54 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIEFROG!!!
GO NYNY!!!
GO MR MATTEE!!!
GO MY SWEET MAD POLYMATH!!!
GO IRONTEJAS!!!
GO EMILY!!!
GO KIRSTIRON!!!

Aw, poor Stace Face ... warm gentle healing mastiffy {MELON PRESS}

2015-05-02 9:16 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I think maybe I can come off the DL. I only needed one lot of pain killers to get through the day today and I walked around a garden show for about 4 hours without a problem. Going to try a run tomorrow and see how I go. I'm kinda excited about that.

(BTW just so you know when lifting your 60kg (130lb) puppy into the car be careful about how you twist.)
2015-05-02 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Go racers!  Awesome line up of races this week - way cool. 

I ride with socks during the cold (or just cool, down here) months, but sock less during the warmer season and in all my tris (haven't done an IM, but up through HIM and plan to go sockless for the triple Oly).

Running, I go with socks for HIM (and presumably longer - will wear socks on the 30k), but sockless below that - really just for T2 time.  I wear socks on all my road races, even the short ones.

My problem (I know, one of many) is that I can't find shoes that I like for sockless running now.  I had run in Newtons sockless and really liked those, but they started to break my feet (lugs hurt over the miles - LOVED running in those shoes, but they weren't right for me in the end, sadly).  Since, I've tried a couple kinds of ASICS (including the tri noosas, which were one of the worst for sock less - bleeding within a mile, even though they otherwise fit and run nicely if I have even a thin sock), a couple models of Saucony (I now race the Saucony Mirages, but not sock less), a couple models of Hokas, a pair of altras and a couple models of Brooks.  So far, no dice.

I think I'm going to try the Zoots next...  I have an Oly at the end of this month and want a sock less option.

As for laces, I get the tension right and double knot the traditional laces, then pull them on using my thumb as a shoehorn.  I've tried the elastic laces a couple times but have found them harder to get the tension right and consistent, so have stuck with regular laces but not tying/untying them.  I have found that in the heat of transition, if I have to adjust things I will over tighten.  On the bike, I leave my shoes a bit loose after mounting and tighten in two (sometimes three) small increments over the first mile to avoid over cranking them and having to loosen and re-tighten, which would take more time and be uncomfortable...

Matt

2015-05-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by StaceyK I think maybe I can come off the DL. I only needed one lot of pain killers to get through the day today and I walked around a garden show for about 4 hours without a problem. Going to try a run tomorrow and see how I go. I'm kinda excited about that. (BTW just so you know when lifting your 60kg (130lb) puppy into the car be careful about how you twist.)

Ugh - that's a lot of pup to hoist!  Must be a cutie, though (we love big dogs).

Hope you are back to normal!

Matt

2015-05-02 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK I think maybe I can come off the DL. I only needed one lot of pain killers to get through the day today and I walked around a garden show for about 4 hours without a problem. Going to try a run tomorrow and see how I go. I'm kinda excited about that. (BTW just so you know when lifting your 60kg (130lb) puppy into the car be careful about how you twist.)

That's great news Stacey.  I hope your run goes well tomorrow.  Be careful.

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-02 9:31 AM
2015-05-02 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Go racers!  Awesome line up of races this week - way cool. 

I ride with socks during the cold (or just cool, down here) months, but sock less during the warmer season and in all my tris (haven't done an IM, but up through HIM and plan to go sockless for the triple Oly).

Running, I go with socks for HIM (and presumably longer - will wear socks on the 30k), but sockless below that - really just for T2 time.  I wear socks on all my road races, even the short ones.

My problem (I know, one of many) is that I can't find shoes that I like for sockless running now.  I had run in Newtons sockless and really liked those, but they started to break my feet (lugs hurt over the miles - LOVED running in those shoes, but they weren't right for me in the end, sadly).  Since, I've tried a couple kinds of ASICS (including the tri noosas, which were one of the worst for sock less - bleeding within a mile, even though they otherwise fit and run nicely if I have even a thin sock), a couple models of Saucony (I now race the Saucony Mirages, but not sock less), a couple models of Hokas, a pair of altras and a couple models of Brooks.  So far, no dice.

I think I'm going to try the Zoots next...  I have an Oly at the end of this month and want a sock less option.

As for laces, I get the tension right and double knot the traditional laces, then pull them on using my thumb as a shoehorn.  I've tried the elastic laces a couple times but have found them harder to get the tension right and consistent, so have stuck with regular laces but not tying/untying them.  I have found that in the heat of transition, if I have to adjust things I will over tighten.  On the bike, I leave my shoes a bit loose after mounting and tighten in two (sometimes three) small increments over the first mile to avoid over cranking them and having to loosen and re-tighten, which would take more time and be uncomfortable...

Matt

I've been through a lot of shoes looking for a sockless option.  I too went through some bloody failures with some of the same shoes you listed and I could add a few.  I had a pair of Pearl Izumi iso transitions that were by far the best for me but I wore them out over the years and they are no longer made.  PI has a newer model out but I haven't tried it.  I went with a pair of Zoots which are good but if you go that route they do run small.  Mine are a bit too snug but no hot spots.  Wish I went a half size over my standard.

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-02 9:48 AM
2015-05-02 9:48 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  Sure seems to be a lot going on.  I decided to forego a 5k this weekend that is one of the biggest of the year around here.  With the sore foot and aching Achilles I've experienced over the last weeks I thought it best not to tempt fate and stick with my training.  Really hard for someone that loves to race.

It is a beautiful morning here and I'm going to go run one of my favorite trails.

Had a good ride outside last night though everyone was either trying to race me or kill me.  I figured that riding on a Friday afternoon would involve more traffic than usual but people were unbelievably indifferent to my life.  I had four or five very close calls.  Mostly people pulling out from sidestreets right in front of me requiring me to take evasive action or be hit.  Folks saw me but either didn't care or were in a hurry.  The scariest was a semi truck that was coming from the opposite direction and started a left turn across my path.  He reacted at the last second stopping in the middle of my lane while I locked up the tires and skidded to a stop a few feet from his bumper.  I conveyed my displeasure in a rather animated fashion and pushed on.  I have a long ride tomorrow and think I'm going to try to find a safer route. 

2015-05-02 4:27 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Melon Presser

And Happy Anniversary / eternal honeymoon to Dub6!!!

2015-05-02 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ann-Marie, I don't know what idiot did the race list this week.  How could I have not had you on the list?  I even talked to you about it in inspires?!

Go Ann-Marie and enjoy Flying Pig tomorrow!

May Pigs Fly!

2015-05-02 8:23 PM

User image

Seattle
Great move, Steve. Plenty of 5ks out there.
2015-05-02 8:25 PM

User image

Seattle
I got the woman's win today for the 5-miler. Had some good competition. Used some strategy, hill fitness and my newfound descending. Still lots to learn. Still defeated by mountain
2015-05-02 11:18 PM

User image

Master

Took a 3-day offroading/camping trip to Sedona area before J leaves for Cali. Some really beautiful trails and views every day. We had two trails planned and ended up doing four, plus some hiking. I think I took 200+ pics  It was a good escape from reality.

(20150502_112429.jpg)

(20150430_175845.jpg)

(20150501_070405.jpg)

(20150501_144945.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150502_112429.jpg (56KB - 3 downloads)
20150430_175845.jpg (33KB - 4 downloads)
20150501_070405.jpg (43KB - 4 downloads)
20150501_144945.jpg (46KB - 8 downloads)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29497 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69157 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.