Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-01-26 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3321939

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 5:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

And for those of us still doing the "off-season" hustle, what are you doing to make this time period fun? worthwhile?

I'm trying things I've not done before like YOGA (no cow pose!), BASEC and a harder Master's class. 

I'm also loving owning a dog again.  Cooper has brought so much fun to this non kid household and to my 87 year old mom and to Paul's parents.  Crazy how a four legged friend can add so much joy to one family.  I am also enjoying packing for Hawaii.....had to get that in there, didn't I?Tongue out

2011-01-26 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 5:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

And for those of us still doing the "off-season" hustle, what are you doing to make this time period fun? worthwhile?

Doing the El Paso 5K on Sunday which is part of the Houston Marathon festivities.  My wife is doing the Half Marathon with a few of her running buddies.  She has overcome shin issues and a blood clot in the arm getting ready for this race.  So, getting out there and finishing will be a big accomplishment for her and a couple of her buddies that have been recovering from injuries of their own.  

Nice thing is we are staying downtown Saturday night so the kids can sleep in while we get up early on Sunday and walk to the start area. 
2011-01-26 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3322035

User image

Chatham Ontario
Anne! - 2011-01-26 7:28 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 6:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

I don't have any races for a while yet... we're buried under a couple of feet of snow and the -30C weather is putting a real damper on things here in Ottawa.

However, I'm "fortunate" to have an indoor 400m track in  my 'hood so tonight I'll be running under the dome.  That's what I'm doing these days for "fun."

I am jelous, I wish I had a 400m indoor track to use. Its the treadmill or freeze. On weekends I am choosing to Freeze.

I am excited two of the girls I work out with (both mentors of mine) and I started a running club in our city. Thanks to Facebook (normally don't like it much) and other avenues we have found a facility to use and run the group from. As well as both of them will be running clinics this year for.

1. Learn to run 0-3km clinic
2. 5 km Clinic
3. 10 km clinic
4. Half Marathon clinic.

Although I am really new I can relate to the people very well in the first two clinics so I will be helping with those and then enjoying group runs on sunday with experianced runners. We had 4 people show up last sunday for the first day in the freezing cold. Now there are 32 people signed up so I am excited to help people and to help myself gain more experiance and milage. I will be doing the half clinic as we myself as a participant.

My friend Stef does HIMs and her sister runs marathons. So these are two great people for our city to learn from and I get to help to. My way to pay back Stef and her sister a little for helping me.
2011-01-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3322244

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Techdiver - 2011-01-26 9:21 AM
Anne! - 2011-01-26 7:28 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 6:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

I don't have any races for a while yet... we're buried under a couple of feet of snow and the -30C weather is putting a real damper on things here in Ottawa.

However, I'm "fortunate" to have an indoor 400m track in  my 'hood so tonight I'll be running under the dome.  That's what I'm doing these days for "fun."

I am jelous, I wish I had a 400m indoor track to use. Its the treadmill or freeze. On weekends I am choosing to Freeze.

I am excited two of the girls I work out with (both mentors of mine) and I started a running club in our city. Thanks to Facebook (normally don't like it much) and other avenues we have found a facility to use and run the group from. As well as both of them will be running clinics this year for.

1. Learn to run 0-3km clinic
2. 5 km Clinic
3. 10 km clinic
4. Half Marathon clinic.

Although I am really new I can relate to the people very well in the first two clinics so I will be helping with those and then enjoying group runs on sunday with experianced runners. We had 4 people show up last sunday for the first day in the freezing cold. Now there are 32 people signed up so I am excited to help people and to help myself gain more experiance and milage. I will be doing the half clinic as we myself as a participant.

My friend Stef does HIMs and her sister runs marathons. So these are two great people for our city to learn from and I get to help to. My way to pay back Stef and her sister a little for helping me.

That's awesome!  I think that is one of the best benefits from living the lifestyle.  I find it so rewarding to inspire people.  There are several ladies where I work who have tried a triathlon and I think it's b/c I talk about the sport to them.
Keep it up and I agree the weekends are for freezing!  It helps to run in the daylight too!
2011-01-26 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
New York
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 7:14 PM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

Good luck to those who are racing!

No racing for me yet (2 more weeks before my first race of 2011), but plan to put in some good volume over the weekend: 90km bike, 21km run, 4km swim.  Hope I get it done. 
2011-01-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
One more song that I came across that is a good running song: Mary J  Blige - Family Affair.

Thanks again to all those who posted song lists.  Lots of variety and great stuff!

2011-01-26 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 3:14 AM While we skip our way to the weekend, check your calendars and let us know if you're racing!  Where? how far? what's the goal?????

Some day in the future I hope I can I am racing..... Not this weekend...  This is the best time of year as far as training.  Loving the trails, the mountains, the snow, and all around being lazy.... Instead of going out and making it hurt I go out with my camera.... Take in the sights, smell the roses, and take pictures!

http://averymckenna.smugmug.com/
2011-01-26 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Where is John? It has been two days since he posted.
2011-01-26 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3322604

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2011-01-26 9:32 AMWhere is John? It has been two days since he posted.
Wor Teep! Miss you, John...things just aren't the same without you. FOR REALZ!
2011-01-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3322107

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

dalessit - 2011-01-26 9:17 AM
sdalessio - 2011-01-26 9:16 AM
Redknight - 2011-01-26 8:08 AM

Once again no racing up here in the frozen North. Although its not so frozen in Guelph. Only -5 today. Fun. Lets see. lots of training with good friends. I am doing more of the coaching for our tri club which I really enjoy.I am feeling much better about the triathlon year already. My body is responding pretty well to the additional demands of some twice daily workouts. I am going to increase these workouts and rock the Guelph Tri this year.

I think I have become the official babysitter of grandchildren whenever they are sick. My granddaughter was sick last week and at one point I had ended up holding two handfuls of puke while she was doing the cookie toss in our front room and once she finally got to the bathroom and my hands washed I had to hold back her hair till she finished.  That wasn't nice but then she went and sat with my wife and fell asleep while I cleaned up. I think I should have had that privilege Oh...  also I seem to be a semi professional furniture mover and painter for my daughters. If I could only get paid for that I would be semi-rich with all the moves and work they want done

You sound like a great grandpa!  Smile  Your daughters are very lucky.

Yeah can we ship our kids up to you when they get sick?

hmmm let me think about it. that's long enough NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!. I would not want to take that away from you and Sam. It's character building

2011-01-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3322212

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SoccerGK - 2011-01-26 10:03 AM

I'm racing!!!  Yay!!!  I've been waiting all month to say that...

30 minute TTT on Saturday!  Goal WAS 19.5mph, but I'm thinking so long as I'm 19+, I'll be proud of it.  I won't be doing my typical bike workout Friday morning (since I'm doing Jorge's plan, and it's a tough ride planned that day, so not a good idea before a 30 minute all out effort), and I'm just going to get in a 3-5 mile run instead.  I'm excited!

Go Erica!!!!!!!! Go Glen !!!!!  and way to go Chris...

Edited by Redknight 2011-01-26 11:54 AM

2011-01-26 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
HELLO PEEEEEEEPS!!!  Long time no see eh??

I love this MG because you'll still welcome me back in open arms...right? *winks* Wink

I'm going to TRY to get back into with MG, but forgive me. 

First thing first - I got my new wheelset!! Sweeeeeet deep wheels!! I have not put them on yet, but that's my goal to so do on Thursday. I need to put my old cassettes on my old rear tire, then put the newer cassettes on the new wheels. (11-23 vs. 12-27...so yeah, I want the better one on the new one!), that way I can use the old rear wheel for trainer rides.   I kept going back and forth on what depth of the rim I want. At first I wanted a deep one - 80mm or more. However, the only times that I would use is racing, and I feel like it's not worth it for me for the price to use it only 3-4 or 5 times a year. So I went for a more shallower and I can still use it for regular rides too.    

I also got a new helmet (finally damn it!) - and hopefully with the Vegas weather, my head will be cooler, and LOOK cooler. :-)

So far, I've only registered for Run for Cure 5k. I will do the rest later, which brings me back to MG and I NEED YOUR HELP!!! Question in next post.  
2011-01-26 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
I'm going through some of the triathlons around town and events around the town. However, April and May seems to be CRAZY (I can't blame them because from June to August, it's really way too hot to host an event, and even after 9am, it can get 100 degrees quickly). 

SO...I need your help and tell me seriously if it's too much.  I do not have a coach currently, so I'm on my own this year...hope I'm not the only one without a coach! ;-P

April 7th - Tour de Cure - 15 mi, 45mi, and 65 mi routes (I've been told that this is WAY better than last year's fiasco. The route themselves are definitely better. Also, I get free entry. All I need to do is raise $150).  Want to do 45 mi

April 16th RAGE Triathlon - Sprint/Olympic - Want to do Sprint

April 30th IronGirl Triathlon - Sprint - DEFINITELY will do this one, no question.

May 7th - 5K run Susan Komen charity - Already registered.  

What I want to know is it too much to do Tour de Cure (not a race, just a charity ride, and will be treated as a long ride) and Sprint Triathlon the following week?  
I am going to say it's safe to assume that I can do a 5k a week after IronGirl. 

Later in the year...
September 17th - Kokopelli Triathlon - Olympic (I'm not travelling 2+ hours just for a sprint. :-P)
RTC Viva Bike Vegas - TBD - 115 mi ride option or 65 mi ride. I think I'll do the 65....
October 15 - Pumpkinman - Sprint/Olympic/Long  - Olympic maybe.

I don't know when Las Vegas Triathlon is, and I think I'll do that again this year sometime in September- Sprint (I think it'll be too much to do Olympic)

November - MS 150 ride. 
Half Marathon - December, or not do any half-mary (I dunno)

All of these are tentative, and I want to make sure that I have enough recovery time between the events. I can let go the 115 mi option, and go for a shorter one (60mi or so).    I have the tendency to recover from bike rides pretty quickly.  For LONG runs (10+ miles), it takes me about two days to recover. 

Sorry for this being so long, and possibly confusing.
 Thanks for the help in Advance!

I am getting the "bubbly" feeling on whether to do a HIM this year (July/August), but I think I'm going to skip that because I'm graduating, so I'm not sure if I want to focus on training and my Demo Reel at the same time.  However, if I'm going to go into the working world, it will be harder to find the time to train (IMO. :P). 
2011-01-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3322875

User image

Champion
CyborgQueen - 2011-01-26 1:02 PM I'm going through some of the triathlons around town and events around the town. However, April and May seems to be CRAZY (I can't blame them because from June to August, it's really way too hot to host an event, and even after 9am, it can get 100 degrees quickly). 

SO...I need your help and tell me seriously if it's too much.  I do not have a coach currently, so I'm on my own this year...hope I'm not the only one without a coach! ;-P

April 7th - Tour de Cure - 15 mi, 45mi, and 65 mi routes (I've been told that this is WAY better than last year's fiasco. The route themselves are definitely better. Also, I get free entry. All I need to do is raise $150).  Want to do 45 mi

April 16th RAGE Triathlon - Sprint/Olympic - Want to do Sprint

April 30th IronGirl Triathlon - Sprint - DEFINITELY will do this one, no question.

May 7th - 5K run Susan Komen charity - Already registered.  

What I want to know is it too much to do Tour de Cure (not a race, just a charity ride, and will be treated as a long ride) and Sprint Triathlon the following week?  
I am going to say it's safe to assume that I can do a 5k a week after IronGirl. 

Later in the year...
September 17th - Kokopelli Triathlon - Olympic (I'm not travelling 2+ hours just for a sprint. :-P)
RTC Viva Bike Vegas - TBD - 115 mi ride option or 65 mi ride. I think I'll do the 65....
October 15 - Pumpkinman - Sprint/Olympic/Long  - Olympic maybe.

I don't know when Las Vegas Triathlon is, and I think I'll do that again this year sometime in September- Sprint (I think it'll be too much to do Olympic)

November - MS 150 ride. 
Half Marathon - December, or not do any half-mary (I dunno)

All of these are tentative, and I want to make sure that I have enough recovery time between the events. I can let go the 115 mi option, and go for a shorter one (60mi or so).    I have the tendency to recover from bike rides pretty quickly.  For LONG runs (10+ miles), it takes me about two days to recover. 

Sorry for this being so long, and possibly confusing.
 Thanks for the help in Advance!

I am getting the "bubbly" feeling on whether to do a HIM this year (July/August), but I think I'm going to skip that because I'm graduating, so I'm not sure if I want to focus on training and my Demo Reel at the same time.  However, if I'm going to go into the working world, it will be harder to find the time to train (IMO. :P). 

Hey, welcome back STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS!   I've missed these posts.....

Doug, I secretly think Fatty has gone to a week long IM training camp with the top coaches in the country.  You know how much he loves getting advice from others.
2011-01-26 3:41 PM

User image

Coming back to the mg and get a bunch of new songs.  Awesome!

Only read the last three pages, but something is missing... Is John busy training for something?   Smile

Linda, sorry about the two weeks...but really as someone said two weeks really isn't that bad.
Keep busy to maintain sanity (you do that anyway) and you'll be back at it soon.  Glad it's no worse!

Rob, I hate that I can relate to your latest "adventure".  Since Dec 1st  I have not had three straight days without someone home sick.  Today was day four of no one sick and wouldn't you know I get a call from the school to come get my oldest.  Before I get up there..he has vomited five times, with a nice 103 temp to go with it.  Damn...I think we are moving, there is something in this house. 

Linda
2011-01-26 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Hi All!

I've been sidelined byt the flu last week.  I tried to keep up with some semblance of training.  Getting frustrated with all the snow and ice.  It's killing my pace which is very disheartening.  Yes, I know I need yak-traks. 

I did have a nice experience the other day.  Out running on our coldest day yet (-11) and another runner offered me his heat packs for my hands.  Not sure if he was offering b/c he saw I was wearing $1 polyester gloves or if his hands we too warm in his ski gloves.  I didn't need them but the offer made my day.

BUT... my legs were freezing. what do peeps wear on their legs in weather below 10 degrees? I tried getting fleeced lined pants from Nike but apparently they only make pants to fit Amazon women with legs the length on Darryl Hannah.

Thanks for the play lists.  I really need to get my ipod up and running.  I've only had it sitting in my drawer for two years.  I swear I need a service to get it up and running for me.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Edited by mighty mom 2011-01-26 7:16 PM

2011-01-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3323464

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
mighty mom - 2011-01-26 6:28 PM Hi All!

I've been sidelined byt the flu last week.  I tried to keep up with some semblance of training.  Getting frustrated with all the snow and ice.  It's killing my pace which is very disheartening.  Yes, I know I need yak-traks. 

I did have a nice experience the other day.  Out running on our coldest day yet (-11) and another runner offered me his heat packs for my hands.  Not sure if he was offering b/c he saw I was wearing $1 polyester gloves or if his hands we too warm in his ski gloves.  I didn't need them but the offer made my day.

BUT... my legs were freezing. what do peeps wear on their legs in weather below 10 degrees? I tried getting fleeced lined pants from Nike but apparently they only make pants to fit Amazon women with legs the length on Darryl Hannah.

Thanks for the play lists.  I really need to get my ipod up and running.  I've only had it sitting in my draw for two years.  I swear I need a service to get it up and running for me.

Since John is not here, I will answer.

I usually use a blanket
2011-01-26 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Thanks for the play lists.  I really need to get my ipod up and running.  I've only had it sitting in my draw for two years.  I swear I need a service to get it up and running for me.

I think it's funny about the Nike pants because I returned my fleece-lined leggings because I thought they were too short!  and I'm only 5'5.  But I like mine long enough to tuck into my shoes.  I got the men's pair instead.
2011-01-26 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3323510

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-26 8:00 PM
mighty mom - 2011-01-26 6:28 PM
what do peeps wear on their legs in weather below 10 degrees? I tried getting fleeced lined pants from Nike but apparently they only make pants to fit Amazon women with legs the length on Darryl Hannah.

QUOTE]

Since John is not here, I will answer.

I usually use a blanket

a toga?  :P
2011-01-26 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3323531

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SoccerGK - 2011-01-26 8:12 PM
I think it's funny about the Nike pants because I returned my fleece-lined leggings because I thought they were too short!  and I'm only 5'5.  But I like mine long enough to tuck into my shoes.  I got the men's pair instead.

Erica- I don't think their sizing is consistent.  I read 90 reviews on these pants and all the women who were my height and order the same sz said the length was perfect.  I get mine and there is aprox 6 inches of extra fabric.  My legs are not that short!
2011-01-26 8:38 PM

User image

Champion

Thanks for the play lists.  I really need to get my ipod up and running.  I've only had it sitting in my drawer for two years.  I swear I need a service to get it up and running for me.

CW-X insulated tights are my favorite.  

2011-01-26 9:47 PM

User image

New user
Ottawa
mighty mom - 2011-01-26 7:28 PM Hi All!

I wear these Firewall tights:
  http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/Run/Women/Tights/Details/2215-40552F-Firewall-220-Tight

2011-01-26 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Got a little teaser tonight and was able to ride after work. The light didn't last long, but was sure nice not rushing to get back to work on time from the lunch ride. Daylight Savings can't get here soon enough.
2011-01-27 4:42 AM
in reply to: #3323660

User image

Master
Maryland
SSMinnow - 2011-01-26 9:38 PM

I love my Under Armor running tights!

Linda
2011-01-27 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Linda did you get stuck in snow yesterday?

Saw friends posting that they had 5 hour commutes home yesterday when it normally takes 30 mins.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171