BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-04-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4685392

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED

jobaxas - 2013-04-03 12:35 PM First interaction I can't recall... I've met Yanti NigelW Bond girl and swayerm (Jess) and I feel like we've met! I interact with a few others take advice from marvarnett (dan) Best advice I got was from him (dan) about pulling out of ironman he truly helped me thru that process.I love the manatees and our social interactions and I'd like to travel the states and meet you all. Person I miss most ukweeble

He was fun. I hope everything is going well with his family.

2013-04-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4685414

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2013-04-03 11:45 AM

jobaxas - 2013-04-03 12:35 PM First interaction I can't recall... I've met Yanti NigelW Bond girl and swayerm (Jess) and I feel like we've met! I interact with a few others take advice from marvarnett (dan) Best advice I got was from him (dan) about pulling out of ironman he truly helped me thru that process.I love the manatees and our social interactions and I'd like to travel the states and meet you all. Person I miss most ukweeble

He was fun. I hope everything is going well with his family.

Oh, the froggie.

2013-04-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4685283

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
JJ- - 2013-04-03 1:50 PM
TriAya - 2013-04-03 11:11 AM
JJ- - 2013-04-03 10:53 PM

I don't remember who i first interacted with but my first mentor group wasn't great. The mentor stopped checking in after the first month and we tried to stay alive as long as we could. I had no idea anything about this group when I joined but from Yanti's post it looked like some place that people posted more than once per day which is what I was looking for. Little did I know

RACE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited I can't quite smiling. My first HIM coming up in just a few days. Yea!!!

WOOHOOOO Jonathan Just keep a lid on the turbo-boosters until then ... I'm just so happy that, after all that, you are still able to go and to make it.

Ok Yanti and fellow triathlon experts

I'm really struggling with this and Yanti's comment made me start thinking again. How do I approach the run?? Prior to my IT Band injury my plan was to run off the bike at a 9:30 pace. Since my IT Band issues I haven't even run below a 10:30 pace trying to take it easy. Last week I did a 30 mile bike with a 4 mile brick run and ran at a 11:20 pace and felt perfectly fine. My HR avg was 134 which is clearly not even breaking a sweat for me. My 5k and 10k HR averages are 170s.

The smart think would be to just stick to my game plan of 11:20 off the bike and finish the race. The competitive drive in me wants to start at a 10:15 and work my way up faster knowing I've been pain free for 6 weeks. I know its a difference of 13 minutes basically and I'm not trying to podium so who cares but I guess I do. When I crossed the finish line at my sprint tri a few weeks ago several people made comments that I wasn't even out of breath which I wasn't. I want to finish Galveston but I don't want to finish Gavleston feeling like I could run a marathon. I want to finish Galveston giving it all I have. But then again I want to finish and the smart thing to do is just easy jog for 13 miles. Arggggghhhh!!!

Run the first half at a comfortable pace.  This is not to say an easy pace though, but a comfortable "I've got this" pace.  Then, when you get to the half way point, if you are feeling good, ask yourself, "Can I go harder?"  Do not try to race the run until then.  Do try try to negative split the run.  Do not overcompensate and go to hard on the bike either.

So, since our minds understand positive thoughts the most easily, let me repeat that with the nots removed. 

Run the first half at a comfortable pace.  Run the second half faster.

2013-04-03 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4685520

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-04-03 2:36 PM

I don't remember who i first interacted with but my first mentor group wasn't great. The mentor stopped checking in after the first month and we tried to stay alive as long as we could. I had no idea anything about this group when I joined but from Yanti's post it looked like some place that people posted more than once per day which is what I was looking for. Little did I know

I am so excited I can't quite smiling. My first HIM coming up in just a few days. Yea!!!

WOOHOOOO Jonathan Just keep a lid on the turbo-boosters until then ... I'm just so happy that, after all that, you are still able to go and to make it.

I'm really struggling with this and Yanti's comment made me start thinking again. How do I approach the run?? Prior to my IT Band injury my plan was to run off the bike at a 9:30 pace. Since my IT Band issues I haven't even run below a 10:30 pace trying to take it easy. Last week I did a 30 mile bike with a 4 mile brick run and ran at a 11:20 pace and felt perfectly fine. My HR avg was 134 which is clearly not even breaking a sweat for me. My 5k and 10k HR averages are 170s.

The smart think would be to just stick to my game plan of 11:20 off the bike and finish the race. The competitive drive in me wants to start at a 10:15 and work my way up faster knowing I've been pain free for 6 weeks. I know its a difference of 13 minutes basically and I'm not trying to podium so who cares but I guess I do. When I crossed the finish line at my sprint tri a few weeks ago several people made comments that I wasn't even out of breath which I wasn't. I want to finish Galveston but I don't want to finish Gavleston feeling like I could run a marathon. I want to finish Galveston giving it all I have. But then again I want to finish and the smart thing to do is just easy jog for 13 miles. Arggggghhhh!!!

Run the first half at a comfortable pace.  This is not to say an easy pace though, but a comfortable "I've got this" pace.  Then, when you get to the half way point, if you are feeling good, ask yourself, "Can I go harder?"  Do not try to race the run until then.  Do try try to negative split the run.  Do not overcompensate and go to hard on the bike either.

So, since our minds understand positive thoughts the most easily, let me repeat that with the nots removed. 

Yeah, whether it be a tri or a stand alone run I generally don't go into any races with a particular pace in mind. There are just way too many variables to dictate one single pace.

I think what Janyne just shared with you above is a very solid guideline, and notice she does not define your pace with numbers. Just how you feel. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-04-03 2:53 PM
2013-04-03 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4685520

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmkizer - 2013-04-03 1:36 PM

X2 what Janyne said!

Edited by rrrunner 2013-04-03 3:19 PM
2013-04-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4685282

User image

Veteran
East Texas
rrrunner - 2013-04-03 12:50 PM
JJ- - 2013-04-03 11:44 AM
rrrunner - 2013-04-03 12:18 PM
JJ- - 2013-04-03 9:53 AM

Having just been through my first I am soooooo excited for you. I hope your day is as exciting and filled with memories as mine was. My head is STILL playing that day overandoverandover!

Just read your race report which is what got me even more excited.

@Yanti, that makes sense. Good explanation. There is so many writers, coaches, and people that think they know everything it's often hard who to follow. This is why I usually take a very scientific approach to my workouts. Although science doesn't always get you to the end.

Did you decide to get a my athlete tracker for us your family to track you?

I decided not to. They are just going to track at ironman.com and the run course is great for spectators so my wife will be able to see me 4 times on the run

2013-04-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4685392

User image

Extreme Veteran

jobaxas - 2013-04-03 2:35 PM First interaction I can't recall... I've met Yanti NigelW Bond girl and swayerm (Jess) and I feel like we've met! I interact with a few others take advice from marvarnett (dan) Best advice I got was from him (dan) about pulling out of ironman he truly helped me thru that process.I love the manatees and our social interactions and I'd like to travel the states and meet you all. Person I miss most ukweeble :(

X2!!! Do we know where our dear froggy has hopped off to?  Such a great British sense of humor on that one, and always ready to hurry the frog up!

I don't remember who I first interacted with on BT.  I joined in December 2011 after I decided to become a "triathlete" (and I remember a convo some months back about being worthy to call yourself that - I said that if you are doing all three sports, go ahead and give yourself the title!)  I was poking around the forums and saw mentor forums, so I thought it would be good to join, being a total newb.  I checked out a couple and the saw Yanti & Salty's Mad Manatees - sounded like a bunch of weirdos to me (I didn't know the half of it!).  But like others have said, they seemed active and, let's be honest, I too am a big old weirdo and haha - I fit right in   We had a really awesome group winter 2012, and many of that group are still kickin' it here.  And those who have joined since are all super cool too.  I'm going to credit our oh-so-wise and worldly mentors for the good vibes

I haven't met any BTers yet, but, as Salty said, we are going to meet next week!! (Which reminds me, we've got to figure out day/time!

Best advice is probably from Salty.  I was complaining of not having motivation to go for a run, and she said you never regret doing a workout.  Although I still skip workouts in favor of TV and snacks, there are more times now that I think to that feeling of finishing a tough workout and it gets me out the door.  Thanks Salty!!  And, of course, the best stories are from Yanti.  I'd like to meet her in person soooo much, primarily to confirm she actually exists.  I'm starting to think she is make believe.

2013-04-03 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Seattle

Oh hey, Brie. While you are here, where do you generally watch the marathon from?

I am planning on having my family pick a spot and stay put (rather than trying to see me more than once since, er, it's a pretty ginormous marathon compared to anything I have done before)

I was thinking somewhere on the public transportation line so they can watch me go by then maaaaaaybe see me finish.

*Specifically the green line to either woodland or reservoir 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-04-03 4:43 PM
2013-04-03 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Jobaxas first interacted with me (sounds wrong....but appropriate). Still unsure of what advice I have read is the best as I am still in sponge mode, ie trying to absorb as much info as I can comprehend, whilst sifting through BS ( which is hard for me to spot). The 2nd point is mostly the reason I don't interact so much on this forum. I simply do not have any knowledge to contribute yet. I do read every post being posted though, and check in on the thread about 20 times a day. But I do this whilst in my truck, on my iPad, and I really, really dislike posting using it. My computer is now out in my shed, where my bike/turbo is set up, so don't go on the computer much, apart from uploading my garmin, log etc... But it's freezing out there, and cramped so I don't hang around. I may go into the attic to drag down an old laptop I have to see if I can use that.
2013-04-03 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4685749

User image

Master

Richardsdrr - 2013-04-03 2:54 PM Jobaxas first interacted with me (sounds wrong....but appropriate). Still unsure of what advice I have read is the best as I am still in sponge mode, ie trying to absorb as much info as I can comprehend, whilst sifting through BS ( which is hard for me to spot). The 2nd point is mostly the reason I don't interact so much on this forum. I simply do not have any knowledge to contribute yet. I do read every post being posted though, and check in on the thread about 20 times a day. But I do this whilst in my truck, on my iPad, and I really, really dislike posting using it. My computer is now out in my shed, where my bike/turbo is set up, so don't go on the computer much, apart from uploading my garmin, log etc... But it's freezing out there, and cramped so I don't hang around. I may go into the attic to drag down an old laptop I have to see if I can use that.

I'm right there with you on both counts... But I've come to ignore my better judgment now, and just post away whenever the Pod moves me. Laughing  And I give myself a little break because six months isn't long to gain much knowledge.

Hope you get that laptop up and running so you can join the fun more often Smile

2013-04-03 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4685749

User image

Elite

Richardsdrr - 2013-04-04 9:54 AM Jobaxas first interacted with me (sounds wrong....but inappropriate). Still unsure of what advice I have read is the best as I am still in sponge mode, ie trying to absorb as much info as I can comprehend, whilst sifting through BS ( which is hard for me to spot). The 2nd point is mostly the reason I don't interact so much on this forum. I simply do not have any knowledge to contribute yet. I do read every post being posted though, and check in on the thread about 20 times a day. But I do this whilst in my truck, on my iPad, and I really, really dislike posting using it. My computer is now out in my shed, where my bike/turbo is set up, so don't go on the computer much, apart from uploading my garmin, log etc... But it's freezing out there, and cramped so I don't hang around. I may go into the attic to drag down an old laptop I have to see if I can use that.
I have the most free time on the train so post from my iphone which also has the formatting issue, ie it doesnt.

I remember welcoming the Welshman!  Was I any good?

Edited by jobaxas 2013-04-03 5:45 PM

2013-04-03 5:52 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
http://www.ultrunr.com/buildupmiles.html.Very good article. If anyone is interested.
2013-04-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4685788

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
jobaxas - 2013-04-03 10:44 PM

Richardsdrr - 2013-04-04 9:54 AM Jobaxas first interacted with me (sounds wrong....but inappropriate). Still unsure of what advice I have read is the best as I am still in sponge mode, ie trying to absorb as much info as I can comprehend, whilst sifting through BS ( which is hard for me to spot). The 2nd point is mostly the reason I don't interact so much on this forum. I simply do not have any knowledge to contribute yet. I do read every post being posted though, and check in on the thread about 20 times a day. But I do this whilst in my truck, on my iPad, and I really, really dislike posting using it. My computer is now out in my shed, where my bike/turbo is set up, so don't go on the computer much, apart from uploading my garmin, log etc... But it's freezing out there, and cramped so I don't hang around. I may go into the attic to drag down an old laptop I have to see if I can use that.
I have the most free time on the train so post from my iphone which also has the formatting issue, ie it doesnt.

Da iawn Jo, da iawn
2013-04-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4685788

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Da iawn Jo, da iawn
2013-04-03 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4685802

User image

Elite
Richardsdrr - 2013-04-04 10:54 AM

Da iawn Jo, da iawn

Diolch Embarassed

2013-04-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4685811

User image

Elite
Well today is 4th April here in Australia and I cannot help but wish Chris 'Macca' McCormack a happy 40th birthday...x

2013-04-03 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4684916

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2013-04-03 10:46 AM
Artemis - 2013-04-03 9:38 PM
jmkizer - 2013-04-03 8:43 AM
Artemis - 2013-04-02 11:08 PM

Update on Jen:

1. My mom is visiting this week!  Little E is in heaven; she loves "ga-ga" so she's been spending tons of time with her.  I'm off this week just hanging out.  Lots of park visits, walks, etc. 

I hope that you are having a good visit.  Clearly E is!

2. I went running today. Ran for 19 minutes (1.63 miles) and ran the whole time.  

Woo hoo!

3. Bike stuff is up on eBay. Right now it's up to $870 or so, which is about 1/3 of the purchase price of the new bike.

Clearly we need to start a bidding war or something!  Innocent

lol...well it's up to almost $1100 this morning!  Close on Monday, so it looks good!

Yeeeehaw! Heh I was thinking of Baby E today ... Tina and I took Mutti to lunch at a chicken place and there was this adorable baby. My sister didn't know I don't think babies or kittens are cute! To wit: I was an UGLY baby. And not just in my opinion!

Baby E being a major exception, of course. She had a distinctive look and personality pretty much out of the chute. Most months-ers kind of all look the same to me and kind of like scrunched up aliens.

E definitely has a personality; she had it *before* she was born, but I was really the only person who knew.  She's a pretty awesome little girl.  We got so lucky.  Sometimes I think we should stop while we're ahead.

2013-04-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4685101

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Asalzwed - 2013-04-03 12:08 PM

omg, I lost most of my contacts in my phone so the last couple of days have been super entertaining trying to distinguish who they are coming from.

I literally just got one that said, "WASH YOUR HANDS! I'm not joking. I got pink eye." LOL! 

Wasn't from me, but it could have been!  E has pink eye (mostly better) and I keep thinking I'm getting it.  I woke up with gook in my eye and have been freaking out about it all day.

2013-04-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4685108

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

bcraht - 2013-04-03 12:12 PM Jen, glad to hear your visit is going well and that you got out running!  Hopefully that means the weather is improving for you (I think you were one of the people getting snow just recently?)

It has!  It's been in the high 50s/low 60s all week.  I'm glad it's been so nice. I think it is finally spring here.

2013-04-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4684601

User image

Veteran
Dayton
cdban66 - 2013-04-03 8:05 AM

OK, so Yanti's comment about BT changing from what it was to what it will become got me thinking. Some of ya'll have been here a while, others of us, not so much. But, we all got here and for some reason stuck around. I stick around because of people and the information they share. So, here come the questions:

Who was the first person you interacted with? I lurked for quite some time, and I finally posted in the "Introduce Yourself" forum and heard back from Yanti almost immediately. I was quite taken with her kindness, and really, the kindness of many posters here. After a bit of wading through the "BS" I started to figure out who was worth learning from.

Have you met any other BTer's IRL? I have met cwpeters at a number of races, since we are in the same area. Also, I had the opportunity to watch fellow Manatee Ann-Marie race in Rev3 Venice this year. That was a neat experience, but I had to leave before she finished, so I still haven't actually met her. Unfinished business for me, but it may happen this year at that race.

What is the best piece of information you've gotten here? I have to admit, mine is actually 2 things. Scout7 wrote often that you should "Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" and it is something that I came to firmly believe has worked for me. The other was from bryancd after St. George last year. There was a long thread where people were asking about his experience, since it was such a tough race, and he replied to nearly every post in there. I distinctly remember the windy bike conditions and his statement that he needed to stay in aero.  One of my regular training routes is from home to work, into the wind for much of it.  I keep his words in my head as much as possible.

Have a great day everyone!

There wasn't really anyone I interacted with at first.  Nothing sticks out.  What I do remember is someone recommending the Manatees as a group to join.  So when the groups opened up, I jumped in and made the cutoff!

I have definitely not met any BTers in real life.  I'm too new for that, and I spent most of last year injured.  I think there's a probability that I'll meet some of you all this year!  Would love to have a support group at Chicago as well. Wink

I gotta say, if I could do a tri with Yanti and a race with Salty, I would be super happy.

As for gems..., I can't remember.  If there was something, I'm sure Janyne said it.

2013-04-03 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Had another great run tonight in my taper.  Three easy 8:00 miles.

I'm going to start some speedwork after the HM so I can shift to my next goal, which is a sub-20 5k.  Anyone have advice on how to do that?

2013-04-03 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4685950

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ponderingfox - 2013-04-03 8:54 PM

I'm going to start some speedwork after the HM so I can shift to my next goal, which is a sub-20 5k.  Anyone have advice on how to do that?

Run fast??? Innocent

2013-04-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4685798

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Richardsdrr - 2013-04-03 5:52 PM http://www.ultrunr.com/buildupmiles.html.Very good article. If anyone is interested.

Thanks for this link. I wonder if what that one guy says is true, that if you are running more than 15 miles per week, you are doing it for more than just fitness.

2013-04-03 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4685978

User image

Veteran
Dayton
KansasMom - 2013-04-03 10:29 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-04-03 8:54 PM

Run fast??? Innocent

:p
2013-04-03 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4685950

User image

Master
ponderingfox - 2013-04-03 6:54 PM

Buy some new extra neon-bright shoes!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85