BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-02-19 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4055665

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
DougRob - 2012-02-19 5:07 PM

dalessit - 2012-02-19 3:08 PM Sweet, just picked up a free 10" Mitre Saw from a teammate. 

What brand? DeWalt?

Appears to be a Delta from the picture.

2012-02-19 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Anyone else that stands on a corner and sells crack goes to jail.  I admit I have a problem.  Damn those Girl Scout Cookies!!!!
2012-02-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4055663

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

tdl1972 - 2012-02-19 5:06 PM RR is done.  Didn't break 30 minutes, but it's a PR by almost two minutes so I'm happy with it.

WOOT!!  Nice job!

2012-02-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4055564

User image

Champion
marietta

dalessit - 2012-02-19 3:08 PM Sweet, just picked up a free 10" Mitre Saw from a teammate. 

i just gave jacy a dutch oven. 

2012-02-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4055544

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
jfought - 2012-02-19 2:54 PM

I'm still training for my first 1/2 mary (end of March).  It seems like it will never get here.  I started adding some really hilly trails to my runs and started to have some "bad" pain on the medial side of my right shin.  I don't know if I'm describing the location correctly, but you get the idea.  Bad hurt=back off the miles and the hills.  Backed off this week, iced, stretched, massaged.  Today, I did a short 3-mi. test run and felt good.  I don't have to work tomorrow, so I would like to go for a long run (10 mi or so).  What do you all think.  Too much?  Play it by ear and if I start feeling pain, shut it down? 

I'll tip my glass of wine to the best mentor group ever!!  You all rock!!

This would be my plan...
BUT I have been known to push it too hard and run through pain... SO, mine is probably not the best advice.

However, you've been running great and the test run went fine... may have just been the hill training caused some excess stress.  Keep it on flat ground and work those hills back in a bit slower.

2012-02-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4055337

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

RoniS - 2012-02-19 9:16 AM Heading to Galveston today. For those of you who have been there, any favorite places we should check out?

Awesome Roni. Knocking these states down quickly. Soon you'll have to hit provinces too!

go to Queens BBQ. That was Texas for me. there are the place John took me to in Houston. Them's some good food.

2012-02-19 9:21 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

This is what we were up to the last few days... Out in Banff National Park....Cross-country skiing in the mountains is hard!!!

As you can see, I was even a tri-nerd and had my garmin on when we hiked.

Edited by TrevorC 2012-02-19 9:23 PM

(ski.jpg)

(ice.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ski.jpg (75KB - 4 downloads)
ice.jpg (67KB - 6 downloads)
2012-02-20 3:07 AM
in reply to: #4055544

User image

Expert
Noosa
jfought - 2012-02-20 4:54 AM

Roni, That beach marathon sounds like an awesome time.  The rain, thunder, and lightening might have made you occasionally forget about the whole running in sand thing--probably not!  LOL  Way to get it done.

David,  That's on pretty ride.  I'm sure the two of you will enjoy many wonderful rides. 

Doug, maybe you need to put notes on your bike, and your helmet and your vehicle:  "Don't forget your bike shoes!"

I'm still training for my first 1/2 mary (end of March).  It seems like it will never get here.  I started adding some really hilly trails to my runs and started to have some "bad" pain on the medial side of my right shin.  I don't know if I'm describing the location correctly, but you get the idea.  Bad hurt=back off the miles and the hills.  Backed off this week, iced, stretched, massaged.  Today, I did a short 3-mi. test run and felt good.  I don't have to work tomorrow, so I would like to go for a long run (10 mi or so).  What do you all think.  Too much?  Play it by ear and if I start feeling pain, shut it down? 

I'll tip my glass of wine to the best mentor group ever!!  You all rock!!

Sound like medial tibial stress syndrome, ice it+++, avoid downhills, maybe wear support shoes for a few runs. This injury can get worse!
2012-02-20 3:09 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Awesome pics Trevor, I love snow and mountains, love to visit the Rockies one day!
2012-02-20 4:44 AM
in reply to: #4056040

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TrevorC - 2012-02-19 9:21 PM

This is what we were up to the last few days... Out in Banff National Park....Cross-country skiing in the mountains is hard!!!

As you can see, I was even a tri-nerd and had my garmin on when we hiked.

We went to Banff in the summer and I loved it.  It's one of the places I would revisit.

Jayne, tough one.  I would probably do something shorter and abort if I had any signs of pain after the warm up.  It may have been a fluke, but maybe not.  Also try some trigger work on the that area.

2012-02-20 7:41 AM

User image

Congrats to our racers.....

David - a PR is a PR.  And this was an iffy one for you.  

Roni - you are simply amazing.

To our northern peeps - I just ran in the snow.  It was nothing like the snow in Trevor's picture.  But it was snow in NC.                I got up at the crack of dawn to get the run in, and the kids were already out playing.  

2012-02-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4056274

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Havin'Fun - 2012-02-20 8:41 AM

Congrats to our racers.....

David - a PR is a PR.  And this was an iffy one for you.  

Roni - you are simply amazing.

To our northern peeps - I just ran in the snow.  It was nothing like the snow in Trevor's picture.  But it was snow in NC.                I got up at the crack of dawn to get the run in, and the kids were already out playing.  

They salted the streets over the last couple of days, no snow last night/yesterday and it's 50 degrees out.

2012-02-20 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Hey MG been mostly hiding in the background here for the past couple of weeks due to life (family illness, injury, work, travel, more illness) getting in the way of the triathlon lifestyle.  Could use some of your motivational mojo to get me back in the swing of things here. Have a marathon scheduled in just under 60 days and frankly don't feel like getting out on the road to do my training.  I know I need to start spending some time on my trainer but the thought of sitting there spinning for an hour is totally unappealing. Does this ever happen to you guys and how do you get yourselves over it?  An inquiring mind wants to know.
2012-02-20 8:00 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I know that I will always feel better about myself once the workout is done. Besides television really isn't that good so I am not totally wasting time if I am riding.

BTW: Once I read to my kids I am running and then riding tonight.

JUST DO IT!

2012-02-20 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Great job with the PR, David! Amazing, Roni. Simply amazing!Doug- why don't you leave your bike shoes clipped into your pedals? I can't remember a time when mine have been off my pedals.Love the pics, Trevor! I yearn for snow these days. It's been the winter that wasn't here. Glad I never bought that snow blower. Fingers crossed for some good spring deals.As for motivation... I do best when I think of following the plan as a job. no excuses. It's got to be done. It also helps when I look at the weekly schedule on Mon and compare to the family plan to figure out when I will get each done. Mostly I think of an article I read on new parents of sextuplets. Both parents were training for marathons, both work full time. Kids were 18 mos old. After reading that article I could not come up with a single valid excuse to not do it. I also read lots of race reports to keep me motivated.
2012-02-20 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Hi All!  I had a few hotties posting on my facebook and sending me emails so I figured that I needed to pop in and say hello.

Sorry for my absence - it has been a crazy start to the year.  A demanding project at work, three weeks of travel (a trip to Korea, two trips to France), two weeks of travel for Kris (a trip to Mexico and a trip to Tennesee) and keeping up with kids has not left much time for anything else.  I also managed to pull off a surprise 40th bday part for Kris (which was very important since I was in France for both Valentines Day and her b-day!!).  Things are good here but training has been near zero - and so has my time on BT.

The work project will continue through most of the year although I hope that things will start to move at a more managable pace in the near future.  I did manage 3.5 miles on the treadmill on Friday...maybe I can double that before the end of the month!!!

I will get back here more often to check in.  Hope that you are all doing well and making up for all the training I should be doing!!

George

2012-02-20 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4057561

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gdale - 2012-02-20 8:20 PM

Hi All!  I had a few hotties posting on my facebook and sending me emails so I figured that I needed to pop in and say hello.

Sorry for my absence - it has been a crazy start to the year.  A demanding project at work, three weeks of travel (a trip to Korea, two trips to France), two weeks of travel for Kris (a trip to Mexico and a trip to Tennesee) and keeping up with kids has not left much time for anything else.  I also managed to pull off a surprise 40th bday part for Kris (which was very important since I was in France for both Valentines Day and her b-day!!).  Things are good here but training has been near zero - and so has my time on BT.

The work project will continue through most of the year although I hope that things will start to move at a more managable pace in the near future.  I did manage 3.5 miles on the treadmill on Friday...maybe I can double that before the end of the month!!!

I will get back here more often to check in.  Hope that you are all doing well and making up for all the training I should be doing!!

George

Welcome new guy. Please post a bio and an up to date photo for the group.Nice to see you George!!
2012-02-20 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

GEORGE!!! So glad to see you back!

2012-02-20 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
2012-02-20 10:21 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Yay! So happy to see you, George...and to hear that things are well...if not crazy busy...Happy 40th to your lovely Kris!
2012-02-21 4:50 AM
in reply to: #4057405

User image

Expert
Noosa
gobluedds - 2012-02-21 10:31 AMHey MG been mostly hiding in the background here for the past couple of weeks due to life (family illness, injury, work, travel, more illness) getting in the way of the triathlon lifestyle.  Could use some of your motivational mojo to get me back in the swing of things here. Have a marathon scheduled in just under 60 days and frankly don't feel like getting out on the road to do my training.  I know I need to start spending some time on my trainer but the thought of sitting there spinning for an hour is totally unappealing. Does this ever happen to you guys and how do you get yourselves over it?  An inquiring mind wants to know.
First sign up for a race, close enough to scare you, I did this after New Year: a sprint with 3 weeks to train!

Second, give the Sufferfest a try, I look forward to trainer rides now...!

2012-02-21 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

gobluedds - 2012-02-20 7:31 PM Hey MG been mostly hiding in the background here for the past couple of weeks due to life (family illness, injury, work, travel, more illness) getting in the way of the triathlon lifestyle.  Could use some of your motivational mojo to get me back in the swing of things here. Have a marathon scheduled in just under 60 days and frankly don't feel like getting out on the road to do my training.  I know I need to start spending some time on my trainer but the thought of sitting there spinning for an hour is totally unappealing. Does this ever happen to you guys and how do you get yourselves over it?  An inquiring mind wants to know.

Is it possible you've not been able to find that MOJO because you're really not interested in the marathon? Would training for a different race get you out the door? down the basement?

Every once in a while I find myself really sick of a particular discipline (aka swimming) because I've been concentrating on it like crazy and getting almost nowhere.  I resent having to do it and then put in a half a$$ed effort once I get there with some negative self talk thrown in for good measure .  I usually have to have a little chalk talk with myself that this is a sport I do for fun and to stop putting so much pressure on myself to succeed that it will eventually come.   Maybe you need to have your own chalk talk? Dig deep, what is really holding you back? and then inch your way to your favorite of the three sports or something entirely different to kick it into gear.  And if all that doesn't work how about this?  Spring is really around the corner....you don't want to find yourself a complete BLOB in your favorite racing kit once it gets here.

That's all I've got.

2012-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

gobluedds - 2012-02-20 7:31 PM  Could use some of your motivational mojo to get me back in the swing of things here.

You just need to REMEMBER that all the Badgers and Spartans in this MG are out there training!!!!

Well, on second thought, actually one of us only seems to swim now and the other seems to have misplaced his running shoes or developed some strange addiction to his bike ............  

as said best by Rosanne Rosannadanna:

2012-02-21 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
George, we missed you and glad you are ok. I hope things settle down a bit and you can double your treadmill workout! Nice birthday surprise for your wife too, way to pull it off : )
2012-02-21 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4057750

User image

SSMinnow - 2012-02-21 7:42 AM

gobluedds - 2012-02-20 7:31 PM Hey MG been mostly hiding in the background here for the past couple of weeks due to life (family illness, injury, work, travel, more illness) getting in the way of the triathlon lifestyle.  Could use some of your motivational mojo to get me back in the swing of things here. Have a marathon scheduled in just under 60 days and frankly don't feel like getting out on the road to do my training.  I know I need to start spending some time on my trainer but the thought of sitting there spinning for an hour is totally unappealing. Does this ever happen to you guys and how do you get yourselves over it?  An inquiring mind wants to know.

Is it possible you've not been able to find that MOJO because you're really not interested in the marathon? Would training for a different race get you out the door? down the basement?

Every once in a while I find myself really sick of a particular discipline (aka swimming) because I've been concentrating on it like crazy and getting almost nowhere.  I resent having to do it and then put in a half a$$ed effort once I get there with some negative self talk thrown in for good measure .  I usually have to have a little chalk talk with myself that this is a sport I do for fun and to stop putting so much pressure on myself to succeed that it will eventually come.   Maybe you need to have your own chalk talk? Dig deep, what is really holding you back? and then inch your way to your favorite of the three sports or something entirely different to kick it into gear.  And if all that doesn't work how about this?  Spring is really around the corner....you don't want to find yourself a complete BLOB in your favorite racing kit once it gets here.

That's all I've got.

Lots of good advice there. I'll add that it helps me to focus on weekly goals (weekly volume, key workouts), rather than thinking about the whole schedule and how far I have to go. You can't do it all at once, just one day at a time. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117