BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by rrrunner

Wanna see a dirty picture?

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (556KB - 4 downloads)

2014-10-02 4:27 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Nice teaser.  You couldn't have placed that better on the page if you'd tried.  Fun picture too--you look completely ridiculous and like you're having a blast!

2014-10-02 4:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Nice teaser.  You couldn't have placed that better on the page if you'd tried.  Fun picture too--you look completely ridiculous and like you're having a blast!

Right?

I can't edit it right side up

Edited by rrrunner 2014-10-02 4:30 PM
2014-10-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations Jonathan TX!

Adrienne - Ugh! Sorry to hear bout the nose and teeth. At least you get to recover in Japan.

Erin - New teeth!

Manatee Marathoners, oh my!

YAY, Janyne feels up to hanging out in the pod madness!   Welcome back!!

Oh good grief.  I totally missed that.  Glad to have you back, Janyne!!  How're you doing?

Mostly really (sleepy) tired. I'm good until 2 or 3 o'clock and then need a nap. Shoulder is not too ouchy. I had my first PT appointment today and I'm supposed to take off the sling every hour or two and do some mobility exercises.  One of the new moves is laying on my back with both shoulder blades touching the floor. Ouch! (yes, seriously)

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo
  • clothing that you can get on with one arm (pull on). Running shorts work well.  Think about bras and work appropriate bottoms.
  • ice water pump. this was not covered by my insurance but was worth every penny. if this is not covered by your insurance, let me know and we'll talk shipping.
  • stool softener. apparently pain meds have this side effect...
2014-10-02 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Love it!

2014-10-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Adrienne - Ugh! Sorry to hear bout the nose and teeth. At least you get to recover in Japan.

Erin - New teeth!

Oh good grief.  I totally missed that.  Glad to have you back, Janyne!!  How're you doing?

Mostly really (sleepy) tired. I'm good until 2 or 3 o'clock and then need a nap. Shoulder is not too ouchy. I had my first PT appointment today and I'm supposed to take off the sling every hour or two and do some mobility exercises.  One of the new moves is laying on my back with both shoulder blades touching the floor. Ouch! (yes, seriously)

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo
  • clothing that you can get on with one arm (pull on). Running shorts work well.  Think about bras and work appropriate bottoms.
  • ice water pump. this was not covered by my insurance but was worth every penny. if this is not covered by your insurance, let me know and we'll talk shipping.

Oh I hate thinking about you having to deal with all of this

2014-10-02 5:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo

I'm so glad to hear you're recovering well!!  When I was recovering from my hip surgeries, I slept a ton.  I think it's because my body was using so much energy to repair itself, plus the pain meds knocked me out.

It's also amazing how movements you used to take for granted are suddenly so much harder, like getting dressed or in/out of the car.  You'll heal up quickly though.  You already have the discipline from training that puts you WAY ahead of people who don't have that experience.  Just do your best to listen to your body and try not push yourself too fast.

How long are you off work and are you going to go back part-time for a little while before jumping back into full-time?

2014-10-02 5:33 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Maybe because it's premium? I wonder if I can switch it to regular and retain my data?

That's what I thought as well. Get in touch with TP and they should be able to retain your stuff. The only reason I use them is because it comes with the Timex and I want to have the data available to a coach if I ever go that route. OK, so that's 2 reasons. 

Best to check with TP to be sure, but I think they save all the files & entries in there. I think you'll still have access to it after dropping the subscription, just with reduced analysis tools as the free level is more basic. I haven't loaded anything into mine in maybe a year(?) and it's all still there, though I never had a paid for account.

I think that since the info from TP to BT is pretty basic I'll just do it manually until BT learns to talk to Garmin Connect.

I believe that might be up and running. Settings: Training Log Settings: Device Uploads.

Here Tom,

Oh, this isn't the Garmin Connect link? Rats.  I'll wait for that.

2014-10-02 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo

I'm so glad to hear you're recovering well!!  When I was recovering from my hip surgeries, I slept a ton.  I think it's because my body was using so much energy to repair itself, plus the pain meds knocked me out.

It's also amazing how movements you used to take for granted are suddenly so much harder, like getting dressed or in/out of the car.  You'll heal up quickly though.  You already have the discipline from training that puts you WAY ahead of people who don't have that experience.  Just do your best to listen to your body and try not push yourself too fast.

How long are you off work and are you going to go back part-time for a little while before jumping back into full-time?

I'm going back to work next week and planning to start back part time. 

2014-10-02 6:38 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by cdban66

Maybe because it's premium? I wonder if I can switch it to regular and retain my data?

That's what I thought as well. Get in touch with TP and they should be able to retain your stuff. The only reason I use them is because it comes with the Timex and I want to have the data available to a coach if I ever go that route. OK, so that's 2 reasons. 

Best to check with TP to be sure, but I think they save all the files & entries in there. I think you'll still have access to it after dropping the subscription, just with reduced analysis tools as the free level is more basic. I haven't loaded anything into mine in maybe a year(?) and it's all still there, though I never had a paid for account.

I think that since the info from TP to BT is pretty basic I'll just do it manually until BT learns to talk to Garmin Connect.

I believe that might be up and running. Settings: Training Log Settings: Device Uploads.

Here Tom,

Oh, this isn't the Garmin Connect link? Rats.  I'll wait for that.

Might try it anyway and see what happens.

2014-10-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by JJ- Thanks everyone!! Wow sorry guys. On my phone and can't shrink the picture. Didn't mean to blow up everyone's screen

Congratulations, Jonathan!!  She's adorable.  Hope you are all doing well.

2014-10-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

So, Manatees, I could use a sanity check.  I am supposed to run a Rugged Maniac 5k Obstacle Race with lots of mud and water on Saturday.

HOWEVER, 2 weeks ago, I was doing box jumps onto a wooden bench during bootcamp. I missed and scraped a big chunk of skin off my leg.  I think parts were down to the fat layer.  There was nothing to stitch, so I took care of it on my own.  Last weekend, it started getting infected, so I went in to Urgent Care Monday night.  It's definitely infected and the doc put me on broad-spectrum antibiotics and antibiotic ointment; she seemed a bit concerned about MRSA.

It's still not completely closed.

It's crazy to race on Saturday and risk re-infection, right?  I'm not just wimping out?

2014-10-02 9:10 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Artemis

So, Manatees, I could use a sanity check.  I am supposed to run a Rugged Maniac 5k Obstacle Race with lots of mud and water on Saturday.

HOWEVER, 2 weeks ago, I was doing box jumps onto a wooden bench during bootcamp. I missed and scraped a big chunk of skin off my leg.  I think parts were down to the fat layer.  There was nothing to stitch, so I took care of it on my own.  Last weekend, it started getting infected, so I went in to Urgent Care Monday night.  It's definitely infected and the doc put me on broad-spectrum antibiotics and antibiotic ointment; she seemed a bit concerned about MRSA.

It's crazy to race on Saturday and risk re-infection, right?  I'm not just wimping out?

I agree with you, Jen.  Doing the race sounds like a terrible idea.  You're not being a wimp, you're being prudent.  Hope it's not hurting too badly and that you can apply the race fee toward something else.

2014-10-02 9:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

I agree with you, Jen.  Doing the race sounds like a terrible idea.  You're not being a wimp, you're being prudent.  Hope it's not hurting too badly and that you can apply the race fee toward something else.

That was my thought too. Don't risk the infection, let it heal. Those things can come on hard and fast.

2014-10-02 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Erin - New teeth!

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo
Thanks for the tips! I figured I would need a small bottle of shampoo, but pump top sounds like a much better idea. I'm going to have to go shopping for tops as almost all of mine are pull overs not pull ons. My doc has a ice water pump recommended for me, I still have to check on insurance coverage. I've heard about that lovely pain meds side effect, ugh. I'd ask if you are able to dry your hair, but think our hair lengths are a bit different

glad you are feeling better and will be able to get back to work- even if just part time, next week!

2014-10-02 9:33 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

It's much better.  It was really sore earlier in the week, but the antibiotics have made a huge difference.  Still, it's still an open wound and I'm nervous to risk it.  If it was just the run without the mud and everything, I don't think it would be a problem. But all the bacteria in mud and soil and dirty water just makes me nervous with an open wound.  And if a microbiologist is actually worried about getting infected by bacteria, it's REALLY bad.    

2014-10-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Erin - New teeth!

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo

Thanks for the tips! I figured I would need a small bottle of shampoo, but pump top sounds like a much better idea. I'm going to have to go shopping for tops as almost all of mine are pull overs not pull ons. My doc has a ice water pump recommended for me, I still have to check on insurance coverage. I've heard about that lovely pain meds side effect, ugh. I'd ask if you are able to dry your hair, but think our hair lengths are a bit different

glad you are feeling better and will be able to get back to work- even if just part time, next week!

Post surgery before I remember being groggy a lot, but not really falling asleep. Although lately I have been wanting to nap in the afternoon!

Are the ice water pumps anything like one of these? Loved them when needing icing. Not just after surgery, but also if something was injured. Stayed plenty cold for hours and just seemed to work better. Moving water seemed to give a very mild massage like feel and never really allowed a warmth bubble to develop.

2014-10-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by amd723

Erin - New teeth!

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo

Bed Bath and Beyond sells blow dryer mounts.  I'm sure they have them elsewhere, I just remember seeing them there.

2014-10-02 9:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

That was my thought too. Don't risk the infection, let it heal. Those things can come on hard and fast.

I was pretty surprised how quickly it got nasty.  Now if it gets re-infected, I run the risk of antibiotic resistance, so I think that's contributing to me being overly cautious.

2014-10-02 9:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's much better.  It was really sore earlier in the week, but the antibiotics have made a huge difference.  Still, it's still an open wound and I'm nervous to risk it.  If it was just the run without the mud and everything, I don't think it would be a problem. But all the bacteria in mud and soil and dirty water just makes me nervous with an open wound.  And if a microbiologist is actually worried about getting infected by bacteria, it's REALLY bad.    

I did have a road rash scrape on my lower leg get infected one time. Never really felt anything, but a couple days later my ankle went from fine in the morning to rather swollen late in the day. We have several full-time registered nurses at work and the head one said to get in to see someone, now. I don't remember specifically what it was or what the doctor gave me, but the nurse was impressed with the strength of it. You're right to be careful of infection. I hadn't done anything more active than go-karting in that time either. When everything is fine with these it's easy to fall into that "what were you worried about" mindset, but things can go wrong fairly quick.

2014-10-02 10:37 PM

User image

Master
First 10k done. 58:09. I'm happy to be under an hour

2014-10-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
What?? I give up :/

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-10-02 11:14 PM
2014-10-02 11:10 PM

User image

Master
You know...
2014-10-02 11:12 PM

User image

Master
You know...stupid fingers.
2014-10-03 12:46 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

^^^^^That finger debacle was embarrassing! I just had to say it now that I'm home on a regular keyboard.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44742 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38933 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74517 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51898 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27016 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.