BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-04-20 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED

I'm going to order Honey Stinger Waffles off the Internet and try them.  Dicks Sporting Goods is supposed to carry them but not here.

I'll find out about a marathon at the end of a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 bike race for warm up.      Until then, I don't plan to run more than 2.5 hours for a long run.  The price in injury and recovery is too high, the fitness benefit is too low.  

GU can be tough on the tummy.  Try mixing three or four with water in a small Fuel Belt sized bottle and drinking it rather than eating it.  There are other brands that use other mixes of sugars.  Experiment.

I had my 2-month functional threshold test last night on the bike. FTP is a baseline watt output that measures the place at which your body produces more lactic acid that you can get rid of.  Work outs can increase that wattage.  My leak last year was 300.  Dropped to 275 after 8 weeks off the hard workouts due to an IT band issue, then rose to 295.  I'll be interested to see what the coach makes of the test.  It looks to me like I'm over 300.If so, that means my fitness level is as high at the beginning of the season this year as it was at the end of last years.  Is that is true, I'm pretty happy.  Houses on the CT in the basement have paid off. Now if I can avoid any more tendonitis, sweet.  I'm doing yoga after every major workout and usingg rollers.  That seems to be doing the trick.

Have a great day.

Ice.

2011-04-20 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3455945

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
stephsprint - 2011-04-20 4:43 AM
ecpasos - 2011-04-20 12:54 AM

Once you do a marathon, you feel like you can do anything.  You absolutely must work up to one.  It's not such a big deal now that I've completed a couple.

There is of course the phsysical preparation that is necessary, but the mental barrier that you break through once you've completed it is HUGE.

My first marathon was rather anti-climatic (still, a great experience) because I jumped from a 15K to a 50 mile race, skipping both half-marathon and marathon distances.  I also did IMCdA and another 30-mile ultra (and a half marathon) before doing my first marathon. 

THAT is why I'm doing it. Sounds like there might be some takers on this Miami Marathon! You guys are TOO much, and that's why I adore you all! Today is a rest day on my run program. These are the toughest. We ought to be able to log our rest and take credit for it. ;-)

Hmmm...I'm moving towards destination races (Vineman and MCM this year)...I've already run marathons in Idaho, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana.  This year will add Pennsylvania, California, and Virginia...

2011-04-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3456044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
McFuzz - 2011-04-20 7:18 AM

Once you do a marathon, you feel like you can do anything.  You absolutely must work up to one.  It's not such a big deal now that I've completed a couple.

There is of course the phsysical preparation that is necessary, but the mental barrier that you break through once you've completed it is HUGE.

My first marathon was rather anti-climatic (still, a great experience) because I jumped from a 15K to a 50 mile race, skipping both half-marathon and marathon distances.  I also did IMCdA and another 30-mile ultra (and a half marathon) before doing my first marathon. 

THAT is why I'm doing it. Sounds like there might be some takers on this Miami Marathon! You guys are TOO much, and that's why I adore you all! Today is a rest day on my run program. These are the toughest. We ought to be able to log our rest and take credit for it. ;-)

Hmmm...I'm moving towards destination races (Vineman and MCM this year)...I've already run marathons in Idaho, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana.  This year will add Pennsylvania, California, and Virginia...

I have a friend who will join the 50/50 marathon club this year.  Unbelievable.   I'm nutty enough to begin considering an ultra already.  They are starting one here this fall on a trail. 

2011-04-20 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

Steph, I'm ready mentally to start the challenge of training for a marathon, time is my issue. I have two toddlers and an a career that is pretty demanding time wise... I'm already feeling like my focus on work has been compromised by all the training... thats why I'm hesitant. Still I'm going to look into a race for the fall and talk to my partner about it. Weekends are our family time and if I'm using a good portion of a saturday or sunday to do 3-4 hr long runs plus the whole ritual before and after the runs... thats a lot of time. Basically its a decision we have to make together I think. When is the Miami race exactly?

2011-04-20 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Ice, an ultra?!?!! Wowsa. That would be a pretty amazing notch in your belt
2011-04-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3456378

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Corncub - 2011-04-20 10:48 AM

Steph, I'm ready mentally to start the challenge of training for a marathon, time is my issue. I have two toddlers and an a career that is pretty demanding time wise... I'm already feeling like my focus on work has been compromised by all the training... thats why I'm hesitant. Still I'm going to look into a race for the fall and talk to my partner about it. Weekends are our family time and if I'm using a good portion of a saturday or sunday to do 3-4 hr long runs plus the whole ritual before and after the runs... thats a lot of time. Basically its a decision we have to make together I think. When is the Miami race exactly?

I always say it's the stuff before and after that makes it so time consuming...but possible. I hear you! I think it's Jan 29th... yep. http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com/Mile 14 is at my condo building.

It's the ultimate goal but it's a long way off. Taking the measured, disciplined approach is the only way I'll be able to do it. My friend Bren got into running a couple years ago, just did the NY Marathon last fall and is now trail running 50k and up. But then again, she isn't injury prone and she's a certifiable OVER DO IT ALL RIGHT NOW kind of person. Addictive personality.

I'll have to be like "most people" and do the prep and deal with pain blah blah blah, but it will be SO worth it.

2011-04-20 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3456044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2011-04-20 5:18 AM

I'm totally into the destination races.  Not only is it fun for me, but my wife (plus kids) who's not into much athletically gets to go on nice vacations. 

2011-04-20 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
My Half Mary on the 1st is in Orange County, CA. Meeting up with my sister in law for the race. Afterwards, meeting up with some old friend who have an apt. in downtown LA for two days on the town. Should be fun - can't wait.
2011-04-21 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hearing all of you talk about doing a marathon has me thinking.  I’ve always said that’s it’s unlikely that I would ever do one (not totally impossible, just hasn’t been a goal for me).  I’m so slow doing halfs and the idea of being out there running for 6+ hours just really isn’t appealing.  I think if I could ever get my HM time down to around 2-2:15, then I might consider doing a full.  If I ever did one though, it would probably be a destination race.  It may be the only one I ever do, so it would have to be somewhere that would make all the training worthwhile.  Right now I do try to do one non-local race a year – whether it’s a HM like I did in Little Rock this year or a triathlon like last year.  Most are still fairly close to home, but far enough away that I can get away for the weekend and just enjoy it, sometimes with the DH, sometimes withoutSmile.

2011-04-21 9:12 AM

User image

Elite

Hi guys!  Just checking in!  Life has been moving at warp speed--always does this time of the school year! 

I had a HM this past Saturday--read the race report if you want the gory details! Ha!  One of my cross country runners ran it too...she finished in 1:50!  She ran my hopeful PR...at least someone got it!

Marathon fever must be in the air...I'm thinking maybe.  My HIM is June 11 and after that I have nothing!  I do so much better when I have something to train for.

2011-04-21 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3458313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
soccermom15 - 2011-04-21 6:45 AM

Hearing all of you talk about doing a marathon has me thinking.  I’ve always said that’s it’s unlikely that I would ever do one (not totally impossible, just hasn’t been a goal for me).  I’m so slow doing halfs and the idea of being out there running for 6+ hours just really isn’t appealing.  I think if I could ever get my HM time down to around 2-2:15, then I might consider doing a full.  If I ever did one though, it would probably be a destination race.  It may be the only one I ever do, so it would have to be somewhere that would make all the training worthwhile.  Right now I do try to do one non-local race a year – whether it’s a HM like I did in Little Rock this year or a triathlon like last year.  Most are still fairly close to home, but far enough away that I can get away for the weekend and just enjoy it, sometimes with the DH, sometimes withoutSmile.

Anything's possible. My 1st Marathon was 5 hours and I had never done a Half before that.  It wasn't pretty, but I did it   You're way ahead of where I was when I did my first.

2011-04-21 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Showing my total newbie status here .... what is a destination race????

Finally feeling better after multiple sicknesses all at once and getting back into the swing of things.  On the bonus side I only really get sick like this every couple of years so I should be good for awhile.  Doing a running program with my 13 year old son for his Personal Fitness Merit Badge.  Having a good time with it and see him soon out doing me.

Glad to see that everyone else is doing well with their training and that spring is finally here

2011-04-22 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3460017

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-04-21 11:05 PM

Finally feeling better after multiple sicknesses all at once and getting back into the swing of things.  On the bonus side I only really get sick like this every couple of years so I should be good for awhile.  Doing a running program with my 13 year old son for his Personal Fitness Merit Badge.  Having a good time with it and see him soon out doing me.

Glad to see that everyone else is doing well with their training and that spring is finally here

It's a race you have to travel to get to. But it's also about doing something special.. to run with a friend who lives there or to travel with a friend or a group to run in a particular place. McFuzzies to Miami would certainly qualify! It takes planning and coordination etc. Runners World talks about them... you can google 'destination race'.

Glad you are over your 'creeping crud' as my Mom calls it. Ack! Spring is here!

It is SO cool you are running with your son! Keep us posted on that!
2011-04-22 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3460010

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-04-21 10:57 PM

soccermom15 - 2011-04-21 6:45 AM

Anything's possible. My 1st Marathon was 5 hours and I had never done a Half before that.  It wasn't pretty, but I did it   You're way ahead of where I was when I did my first.

I'm guessing I'll be thrilled if I do it in less than 6. It will be all about fuel and managing energy. ;-) And hey, I can run/walk the whole thing if I have to!
2011-04-22 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
At this point, I'd like 5:15 to 5:45 at the end of the IM.  Doable I think.  My half IM half marathon time was 2:20.  I was happy with that. 
2011-04-22 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3460017

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
GmrGirl - 2011-04-21 10:05 PM

A race somewhere you'd really like to visit.  So...you want to go to Ireland...you could do the Dublin Marathon, http://dublinmarathon.ie/, as a "destination race" and build your vacation around it.  

Glad you're feeling much better! 

2011-04-23 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

Just want to share....

Today is exactly 6 months from the first time I tried to go running.  It was a cold wet Saturday morning in October at Springdale Cemetary.  Found out how horribly in shape I really was.  Couldn't even run a 1/2 mile without stopping.  I was completely mortified and embarrassed.  Decided that day I needed to make some changes in my life.

Fast forward to today - totally unaware of the date, did my 2nd run at Springdale Cemetary.  Ran 5.5 miles today and only walked a few times.  I have also sucessfully completed a 5K, learned to swim and biked for over an hour at a time.  The difference made in just 6 months is completely amazing. 

The journey along the way has been even more amazing.  I have made some wonderful new friends, both on BT and with local runners in the area.  I have gained self confidence and have a much improved self-image.  I feel better than I have in years and eagerly look forward to each new challenge of the day.  I feel mentally and physically prepared for anything and know the next 6 months will be just as amazing.

Hope everyone is having as wonderful as a weekend as I am - enjoy the day, your families and most of all enjoy yourself and what you can do.

2011-04-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3462659

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
GmrGirl - 2011-04-23 7:16 PM

Just want to share....

Today is exactly 6 months from the first time I tried to go running.  It was a cold wet Saturday morning in October at Springdale Cemetary.  Found out how horribly in shape I really was.  Couldn't even run a 1/2 mile without stopping.  I was completely mortified and embarrassed.  Decided that day I needed to make some changes in my life.

Fast forward to today - totally unaware of the date, did my 2nd run at Springdale Cemetary.  Ran 5.5 miles today and only walked a few times.  I have also sucessfully completed a 5K, learned to swim and biked for over an hour at a time.  The difference made in just 6 months is completely amazing. 

The journey along the way has been even more amazing.  I have made some wonderful new friends, both on BT and with local runners in the area.  I have gained self confidence and have a much improved self-image.  I feel better than I have in years and eagerly look forward to each new challenge of the day.  I feel mentally and physically prepared for anything and know the next 6 months will be just as amazing.

Hope everyone is having as wonderful as a weekend as I am - enjoy the day, your families and most of all enjoy yourself and what you can do.

That's awesome!  Keep up the good work.  Just imagine where you'll be in six more months!

2011-04-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3462771

User image

Longview, Texas
suzimmer - 2011-04-23 9:43 PM

Just want to share....

That's awesome!  Keep up the good work.  Just imagine where you'll be in six more months!

that really is Awesome!!! Congrats.

2011-04-24 4:32 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR

Just want to share....

That's really inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

2011-04-24 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

GmrGirl - well done!  It is amazing what you can do once you put your mind to it!  Keep it up.

I did this race this weekend  http://www.spartanrace.com/

Itwas really fun and very, very hard!  It may be the hardest race I have ever done; every muscle in my body (including my brain) got a workout!  If it shows up in your area, I highly recommend trying it.

Ann-Marie

2011-04-24 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2011-04-23 8:16 PM

Just want to share....

Being able to 'witness' your transformation has been fantastic. You are amazing!
2011-04-25 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

Just want to share....

What an amazing journey the last 6 months have been for you. This is very inspiring!
2011-04-25 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3465158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Corncub - 2011-04-25 1:53 PM

Just want to share....

What an amazing journey the last 6 months have been for you. This is very inspiring!

I agree. That is awesome!! Good for you!

2011-04-25 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Just want to share....

Yeah!!!! This is why I like mentor groups so much. Your story is truly inspiring and makes me want to work harder too!  Thanks for sharing and enjoy your accomplishments!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106