BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-04-27 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
Alright everyone, give me a few minutes and I'll have a fun little story to tell about my ride today.  Take a look at my blog in a few.

2008-04-27 4:15 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Good job on finishing that ride today, dlswimmer! I bet your legs are fried...that's a long way to go on a mountain bike .

A few things you could have done wrong with the tube:

• You could have a pinch flat. To check for this, after you put the tube and tire back on the rim, but before you inflate it, go around the tire and push the sidwall in toward the middle. If you can see the tube under the tire once you push the tire in, then you're likely to get a pinch flat. The tube needs to be securely within the tire. I hope you understood what I was saying...easy to demonstrate, hard to explain with words.
  • Also, check out the rim tape on your wheel to make sure nothing's poking through the rim and able to puncture the tube.
  • You could have just missed something that was in the tire...
2008-04-27 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1364890

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

I know to check about both of those.  I checked to make sure I wasn't pinching and the rim strip is brand new last week but I guess it could still be that.  My bet is that I just missed something and they are going to laugh at me at the store.

I have a scheduled tune up at 300 miles and I am at 250.  I think I am just going to take it in and have them repair it and do a tune up on it.

2008-04-27 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1364896

Champion
South Jersey

Yeah, hopefully they can find out. Also, you can check the tire to see if the tube is popping out anywhere (a buldge). You probably would have seen it if that was the case, but maybe just double check. Or, it could have just been one of things/days...

Take care

2008-04-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1364647

User image

Expert
WA
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-27 2:09 PM
lisazapato - 2008-04-27 10:14 AM
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-27 7:37 AM

Happy Sunday everyone, I hope you all have a great day.

I'm heading out for my ride shortly. It rained pretty hard overnight, so the roads are very wet right now. I might just wait a little longer for them to be less wet. It's also a lot chillier than it's been the past few weeks, so I'm back to pants and arm warmers, and layers and booties (maybe) for my ride. Take care!!

yeah, where the heck did spring go? i needed long sleeves yesterday and today is even worse. good thing it's a rest day and i'm staying inside. i'm just hanging out BT eating a yummy canteloupe. mmmmm, canteloupe.

so, question. yesterday on my ride i took a couple of gels, which i just started using because hubby has a huge supply back from his ironman training days. how do you take a gel on the bike? i had to get off. i don't want to litter, and i need two hands. hubby says he'd just drink heed instead of taking gels. looking for some other input to consider for nutrition on a long bike ride. thanks, and have a great sunday!

I either store my gels in my jersey pockets or in my bento box. I only need one hand. I just pick it up, hold it by the portion that contains all the gel, tear the top off with my teeth (I do leave it a little connected so I don't have two pieces to deal with), suck out the gel, and then return the empty wrapper to my bento box or jersey pocket. Just practice it, but if you can ride one-handed, you should be able to manage the gel one handed. It takes a little time to get down the mechanics of biting off the top (but not completely), but you'll soon get the hang of it. I now have it down to near perfection and it's almost second nature. I usually sit up when I take in a gel. I can do it in aero, but I lose a little control, so I prefer just to sit up.

You could also get a gel flask if you don't want to deal with the little wrappers. Just empty them into the gel flask and suck the gel out of it.

Thanks Lauren.  I suppose I never thought about not fully tearing off the top of a gel, silly me!  and I need to bust out my bento box.  Also, I am fairly certain the hubby has a gel flask so maybe I will just steal it .  I can steer with one hand, so I guess with a little practice in non-traffic I'll probably get the hang of it.  Those sentences were totally stream-of-consciousness, wow, they were all in the wrong order.  oops.  Anyway, thanks.

Jeremy - GREAT job on a PR, that's awesome!  30s means 10s per mile, that's significant!  

2008-04-27 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I hope everyone had a good week-end.  I was at the inlaws in CT.  It was fine.  Father-in law has partial season tix to the Red Sox, so I picked up some tickets for me and the little one (3yr old son).  He (my son, not my father inlaw) was running around the house tonight pretending to race and telling my wife to cheer for him just like he cheered for me last week.  The stuff that comes out of his mouth amazes me everyday.  

Anyway, had a very good weekend of training.   If you see my logs, I usually run around an 11 min mile, give or take :15.  Pretty good since I started only in mid Feb.  On Friday, I ran 9:50 on my second mile, on the treadmill.  This was after 56 min on the bike.  Was very exited.  Sat before we left, I got my swim in.  After the swim, I weighed myself, down to 194, 20lbs lighter from when I started.  Another milestone.  Ran before dinner in CT.  Today, believe it or not, took the bike out for the first time.  I have a Cannondale 600 that someone let me borrow.  The bike is very nice but has the clipless pedals.  I tried once a couple of weeks ago and fell in the driveway.  That was the end of that.  I got regular pedals last week, and finally realized I needed a special wrench to get the other pedals off.  I did that today.  Although it wasn't a 4hr bike like Lauren, I still managed to get a good feel for it.  I was encouraged to see that on flat roads, I can go about 4-5 miles fast than on the stationary bike.   Very happy with training this weekend, considered I got one of the kids colds yesterday.  

Have a good week.

2008-04-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1365316

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Hey guys!
Sorry I dropped-off the grid the last few days. I updated my log to reflect that I did actually work-out a little this weekend. I had an ocean swim in heavy chop, an 18 mile ride with a flat tire on mile 17, and a great run this morning. Thanks to everyone who wrote-in and checked-in on me. I also got a lot of questions about my playlist. Here it is:

Hells Bells (AC/DC)
The Distance (Cake)
Turn the Page (Metallica) Great song for running at night or before sunrise.
Woman (Wolfmother)
Bulls on Parade (Rage against the machine)
Cult of Personality (Living Colour)
Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth)
Creeping Death (Metallica)
Cochise (Audioslave)
Killing in the Name (Rage against the machine)
Bring the Noise (Anthrax & Public Enemy)
I'm shipping up to Boston (Dropkick Murphys)
Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
IronMan (Ozzy) A little slow, but great for motivation.
War Pigs (Ozzy)

I'm really not an angry guy. But I can't help it, this music is awesome to keep me going for my 6-mile runs or for a 3 miler followed by Guns Day or Abs Day.

One more thing! I officially registered for the Marine Corps Marathon on Friday night. No backing-out now! I do have to raise money for the Semper Fi Fund which I'm really happy to do. I guess I could post my donations page on my log.

2008-04-28 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Hey guys!  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Mine was pretty busy. I went on a ride through Columbia, MD's bike paths on Saturday.  Every year they have a different route  marked out and they have pretty cool stops along the way showing the history and what's upcoming in the area.  It's a relaxed pace, but not a very easy ride since it's HILLY and I was riding my old (heavy!) mountain bike.  My legs were pretty tired after that.

I didn't do much yesterday except for swim in the morning.  My mom and I then went out and ordered the wedding invitations.  That took.. ohhh.. 3 hours for us to pick everything out.  What a process.  You'd think picking out a card with some writing on it would be fairly easy!

Boston Beginner -- What a cute story about your son.  It sounds like he is really proud that his dad is a triathlete!!  

GomesBolt --  Way to take the plunge and sign up for the Marine Corp Marathon.  I'm considering registering for it too!! 

Edited by vball03umd 2008-04-28 8:20 AM
2008-04-28 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Thanks for the props on my race this weekend everyone. I wasn't able to get online much this weekend because my internet goes out when it rains. Seriously. And no, it's not satellite, just regular ol' DSL. But for whatever reason, if it rains, it goes out. And it rained all weekend. I'll do a RR today.

Hope you all had a great weekend and have a good week!

2008-04-28 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1365316

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-27 8:20 PM

Anyway, had a very good weekend of training.   If you see my logs, I usually run around an 11 min mile, give or take :15.  Pretty good since I started only in mid Feb.  On Friday, I ran 9:50 on my second mile, on the treadmill.  This was after 56 min on the bike.  Was very exited.  Sat before we left, I got my swim in.  After the swim, I weighed myself, down to 194, 20lbs lighter from when I started.  Another milestone.  

Sweet!! Those are some huge accomplishments! Keep it up, and it only gets better. Good job!

2008-04-28 8:45 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Hey guys,

Lots of activity since I was last on BT last night. Busy morning at work, but I hope to catch up with you all later. Sorry.

Have a great day !

2008-04-28 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

Hey all, not much going on today.  I forgot I had a doctors appointment this morning as wasn't allowed to eat so I didn't start my new nutrition thing today.  I also didn't get up and run, but I will try to make up for that later.

I am planning on going for a little bike with a friend later today if the weather holds and I am definitely going to do some strenth work and swimming.  I am going to try to get my bike into the shop tomorrow so it is all ready to go for my tri this weekend.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-04-28 9:18 AM
2008-04-28 9:38 AM

User image

Hey guys,

Read in some article something that I thought I would pass-on. I think it was in Runner's World, it said one of the best ways to avoid injury is to always finish your workouts feeling like you can do more after it. It said you maximize your workout potential that way as well because you don't end-up burning yourself out one day and then having to take one or two days recovering, instead, you really want to workout again.

I've been feeling that way lately, like I get done, go to work and all day think I could run in the evening or work-out in the evening. Then I remind myself to stick to my training plan.

Does anyone have recommendations for books on HR training? I have my 305 but I never worry about the HRM because I just think it's too much data for me to crunch.

Edited by GomesBolt 2008-04-28 9:45 AM
2008-04-28 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Good morning to all!

Traci- good luck with the wedding planning... ha, I remember those days... I tried to get my folks to do all the dirty work so I could trainLaughing

Matt - MCM is an awesome race, you will love it. It was sooooo crowded though. I was in the first wave (of like 25,000 people) and even positioning myself ahead of my target per mile pace I had to walk for a while before the people spread out... not such a bad thing though if you want to not go out too fast. Thats great that you are also raising money for a good cause, let me know when your link to donate is up and running

As for the HRM, I use mine only for the recovery rides so I don't go too hard. That is it. On a hard day (zone 2 or 3) I just go by RPE. Course I am a MOPer so if you want to be a FOPer don't listen to me!

2008-04-28 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1366213

Champion
South Jersey

Hey guys, so sorry...just no BT time today .

As for the HR training thing. I'll look into some books, but this thread is a great starting point for establishing your bike and run zones:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

If you're following a plan, you don't necessarily need to "understand" HR training. Just understanding which HR zones correlate to given efforts will be fine. Not sure how you're plan outlines what the intensity is supposed to be (RPE, HR zones, pace, etc.).

Here's a general outline of zones to intensity:

·          Zone 1 – Recovery/unload
·          Zone 2 – Endurance
·          Zone 3 – Tempo
·          Zone 4 – Lactate Threshold
·          Zone 5 – VO2 Max

2008-04-28 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
so... I ate my "first lunch" at 10:30 and its now about noon and I am absolutely starving :-P.  This is going to take some getting used to, but I can do it.  Just a little over an hour and I can have another meal.

2008-04-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1366384

Champion
South Jersey
If you're hungry, eat!
2008-04-28 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

dlswimmer - 2008-04-28 8:59 AM so... I ate my "first lunch" at 10:30 and its now about noon and I am absolutely starving :-P.  This is going to take some getting used to, but I can do it.  Just a little over an hour and I can have another meal.

One simple rule you can go by is to eat every 3 to 4 hours (which you have just started doing).  If you are starving by the time it is time to eat again, you didn't eat enough.  If you skip your meal because you are still full, you ate to much.  Sounds like you didn't eat quite enough at 10:30.  Hope this helps you iron out your meals.  Cheers!

2008-04-28 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

dlswimmer - 2008-04-28 11:59 AM so... I ate my "first lunch" at 10:30 and its now about noon and I am absolutely starving :-P.  This is going to take some getting used to, but I can do it.  Just a little over an hour and I can have another meal.

Drink some cold water.  That seems to fill me up.

2008-04-28 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

I think I'm just a big baby.  When I say I'm starving I am really just slightly hungry :-P.  I am going to do my best to stick to my 6 450 (ish) calorie meals in order to lose weight properly.  I won't overdo it though.

Oh, and I drink ice water constantly throughout the day.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-04-28 11:40 AM
2008-04-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1366543

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dlswimmer - 2008-04-28 9:40 AM

I think I'm just a big baby.  When I say I'm starving I am really just slightly hungry :-P.  I am going to do my best to stick to my 6 450 (ish) calorie meals in order to lose weight properly.  I won't overdo it though.

Takes some getting used to.  I think your stomach "shrinks" so after a couple weeks, a small meal (for me, a banana and a yogurt can feel pretty satisfying!)  The nice thing, when we go out (the wife and I), I actually have leftovers!  Back in the day, I would eat all of mine AND anything she had left!  No I get full half way through.....

BTW, it takes 20 minutes or so for your body to realize you ate something.  So eat, wait 20 minutes, and if you are still hungry, eat again!  But many times, your body will have realized you have something in there by then and not feel hungry.....

2008-04-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1366583

User image

Sensei
Sin City
In general, sounds like an interesting weekend for everyone!  Can't wait to catch up on some of the stories and logs.....
2008-04-28 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1364854

User image

Sensei
Sin City

dlswimmer - 2008-04-27 1:50 PM Alright everyone, give me a few minutes and I'll have a fun little story to tell about my ride today.  Take a look at my blog in a few.

Lauren mentioned most of my thoughts but here are some reasons I have had some tire "frustrations"

1. Once, a tiny piece of glass was rolling around in the tire.  When I rotated the tire to check, the glass kept rolling to the bottom so I never saw it.  Lesson learned:  hold the tire verticle and see if anything it at the bottom
  2. Check the tire for small tears in the sidewall and/or tread.  Even the smallest of holes/tears/scraps can allow the tube to push through at 120psi.  Lesson learned:  Check the tire VERY carefully.
  3. BTW, anytime a have a flat on the road, I take it apart again when I get home to check everything thouroughly and reinflate.  Also, Co2 will leak (the molicules are smaller and can migrate out of the tube faster than air).  So it's best to let out all the Co2 and replace with air.  Also, running a cotton ball along the inside of the tire will let you know if there are any small briars/barbs.
  4. Another tip, I like tp put my spare tube in a zip-lock baggy with some talkum powder.  It adds enough lube to help the tube set nicely.  You can buy them "pre-talked" but just a little baby powder does the trick.

Just a couple more tips.....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-04-28 12:03 PM
2008-04-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1365275

User image

Lisa,

I didn't check-through your previous posts until just now.

This may not help too much, but I tape the gels to my aerobars with masking tape and then tuck the wrappers in the leg of my shorts and dump them in my bike shoes during T-2. May not be a good thing to do on a really long ride because you'll have 10 wrappers there, but for a sprint or a 40-mile ride, it worked well-enough.

Great Tip Aikidoman on the tire stuff. I didn't think about the CO2 thing. I do have a small puncture hole in my tire. should I switch-it-out or can I repair it? I've got two spares, but at $50 a piece that could get expensive.

Anyone know why the rear tire goes flat more often than the front?

Edited by GomesBolt 2008-04-28 12:09 PM
2008-04-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1366543

Champion
South Jersey
dlswimmer - 2008-04-28 12:40 PM

Didn't check your log yet, but did you train this AM? If so, what did you eat before, during, and/or after?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66