General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-02-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2661199

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
I looked up the profiles again over the weekend and just can't see it (mapmytri)...  Yep, steady climb (twice) on the bike and the run is tilted up for the first 5 miles.  I get it...  However, I just can't get my head around the course being THAT hard...  Walking bikes?

Few people walk the 3 sisters in Silverman (with grades of around 16-18%), so I think it can be done...

However, I will have to defer to the people who have ridden it.  I plan to go up there sometime in the next month and check it out...

HOWEVER, a part of my training program is to ride up Mt. Charleston as many times as I can.  That's 17.5 miles with 5500 feet of climbing without a break...  that's 6% average.  Do that twice in a ride, and it has to be just as hard as IMUT.

I'm wondering, is everyone looking at this the same way?  Maybe the course is very difficult to set a PR or get a really fast time, but I look at it more as is it hard to FINISH with a respectable time for an IM (whatever that is for you/me). 

Will I break a 12 hour IM on this course?  No, it's too hard for that.  Will I finish?  Of course.  It's not THAT hard.

2010-02-08 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2661233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Kido - 2010-02-08 10:53 AM

I looked up the profiles again over the weekend and just can't see it (mapmytri)...  Yep, steady climb (twice) on the bike and the run is tilted up for the first 5 miles.  I get it...  However, I just can't get my head around the course being THAT hard...  Walking bikes?

Few people walk the 3 sisters in Silverman (with grades of around 16-18%), so I think it can be done...

However, I will have to defer to the people who have ridden it.  I plan to go up there sometime in the next month and check it out...

HOWEVER, a part of my training program is to ride up Mt. Charleston as many times as I can.  That's 17.5 miles with 5500 feet of climbing without a break...  that's 6% average.  Do that twice in a ride, and it has to be just as hard as IMUT.

I'm wondering, is everyone looking at this the same way?  Maybe the course is very difficult to set a PR or get a really fast time, but I look at it more as is it hard to FINISH with a respectable time for an IM (whatever that is for you/me). 

Will I break a 12 hour IM on this course?  No, it's too hard for that.  Will I finish?  Of course.  It's not THAT hard.

Again, I think anyone that has trained somewhat properly won't have a problem. But, anyone that hasn't put in the bike miles will have a problem. I don't think you'll see masses of people walking that hill but I do think you will see some. I'll post a more detailed bike and run report later when I have more time. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post an image.

Also note that I did NOT have the appropriate crank or cassette for my ride this weekend which made the climbs tougher. I rode a regular size 54-39 front chain ring with a 12-23 back. I plan on going compact and 12-25 on back.
2010-02-08 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2661233

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Kido - 2010-02-08 8:53 AM

I'm pretty confident that if the race was next weekend, I'd have a good shot at a PR.  Of course, since my one previous IM was basically on one leg with a blown-up hamstring going in, that isn't saying much.  (What it is saying is that I'm pretty sure I'm already set up for solidly under 13:45.)

By race day, I do think I have at least a shot at 12 hours, honestly.  Even with the injury, I was on track for around 12:15-12:30 at mile 16 of the Vineman run when the hamstring finally called it a day and I had to walk.  If I stay healthy, I'm training for something between 11:45 and 12:45, ideally.  You never know what the day will bring, but that's what my training is pointing toward...so far...
2010-02-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Lost Wages Nevada

First off, I am really not trying to offend anyone here. I just feel like this thread has fallen into two camps

1) those who are scared that they haven’t done enough
2) those who are encouraging the fear.
I
n the post of those who have taken the time to ride and run the actual course I haven’t seen the following;
-The bike course feels flat! Well that's not all true, at least in the IMAZ definition of flat, but for the most part the upgrade is so subtle that the course really does feel flat. Yes there is a huge hill in the loop (about the length of two football fields, should take most less then 5 minutes to ride up it) but so what? On the other side of that is a couple of miles of flat and then a normal hill followed by close to 20 miles of big downhill! This happens twice, and the last time that downhill is all the way into T2. Guess what that means? Your legs should be pretty damn fresh for the run. This is a huge advantage that many IM courses don't get.
-As for the run, yes it is basically 6 miles uphill out and 6 miles downhill back x2. And? You knew that when you signed up, didnt you?
-Wind? Yes we will mostly likely see some. Can we do anything about it (besides maybe avoiding the disk wheel for the day) NO! So there’s not much sense stressing that issue.

Guys and gals I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is just an IM. We are not special because we are doing this one instead of another. Each has its own issues and all you can really do is take that small step towards being stronger, healthier, and faster every day. Hopefully by May 1st you have taken enough steps to finish happy with yourself.

Don’t stress over how hard it’s going to be.
You will suffer, you know that.

Hopefully that’s part of what you do when you train so that it won’t be new on race day.
That’s it, otherwise train the best you can and enjoy the journey to the starting line…..See you there.

Side not- I did post my ride thoughts from my first ride on the course on page 3, I have a stock 52/38 and a 12-25 which I will use on race day.
2010-02-08 12:50 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Amen Jason.

Mike
2010-02-08 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
x2 Amen Jason.

2010-02-08 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
I rode the loop last summer, here is my report on it: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163792&posts=19&mid=2213740&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2213740. It has some pictures to help get a visual on the hills.

I still think pacing will be the most critical part of the day. The climbing on the bike has a few tough spots, but nothing too bad. I judge a rides difficulty on how I feel after I am done and how I feel the next day. I remember feeling good afterwards and hike around Zion the entire next day.

Train for the climbs and you will be fine. None of them were that long and were spread out enough to recover from them. Most of the ride does indeed feel flat, but with rollers and the pavement is not great on much of the ascent.

I have my concerns about my training, but fixating on them won't help me so i just have to get out and ride and run. Between being much heavier than I wanted to be at this point and missing way to many workouts I still feel like I will get it done. Not fast, but done. My long workouts are on target, but the frequency of the rest have been bad.
2010-02-08 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2662112

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm not scurt.  If it was easy, it wouldn't be Ironman...

Besides, it just doesn't look all that hilly to me, and I SUCK at hills...  But maybe because there really isn't anything flat to train on around here, so I don't know any better.
2010-02-08 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
bwiens - 2010-02-08 2:31 PM

I rode the loop last summer, here is my report on it: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163792&posts=19&mid=2213740&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2213740. It has some pictures to help get a visual on the hills.

I still think pacing will be the most critical part of the day. The climbing on the bike has a few tough spots, but nothing too bad. I judge a rides difficulty on how I feel after I am done and how I feel the next day. I remember feeling good afterwards and hike around Zion the entire next day.

Train for the climbs and you will be fine. None of them were that long and were spread out enough to recover from them. Most of the ride does indeed feel flat, but with rollers and the pavement is not great on much of the ascent.

I have my concerns about my training, but fixating on them won't help me so i just have to get out and ride and run. Between being much heavier than I wanted to be at this point and missing way to many workouts I still feel like I will get it done. Not fast, but done. My long workouts are on target, but the frequency of the rest have been bad.

Great pictures!!! Are those pictures of the "big" hills? The ones you posted really don't look that bad, so I'm starting to feel better about this!
2010-02-08 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for the link to the pics of the course.  I rode the loop back in April and ran one loop of the run course.  The pics are a great reminder of what the course was like.  I'm in the "didn't think it was that bad" camp and I'm no climber (6'1", 200lbs) by any stretch.  I'm very thankful for the long downhill run into T2 and hopeful that we'll get to use most or all of the lane.  Anyone see anything posted on road closure for the event?

I am going to use a compact crank and an 11-26 cassette.  I used my standard crank and an 11-23 when I was out there in the fall and I couldn't get comfortable on a couple of the climbs.  I road race with the compact set-up in CO and am very comfortable on that.  

If you want to really scare yourself miss the turn onto Diagonal and continue up Main Street for another block past the round about.  It feels like it goes almost verticle and seriously made me reconsider having signed up for this event.  I didn't realize till after I got back to my hotel that I had missed the turn and wasn't on the run course.   

I plan on passing through SG in a few weeks and will check out the ride into town from T1 as well as get another run in on the course.

Edited by garryowen96 2010-02-08 6:32 PM
2010-02-08 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Thanks for being the voice of reason, Jason! I'm also in the shut up, train, and just do it camp.

2010-02-08 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Great BLOG here but I just want to add something; I agree that if we do the training, we will be ok.  I won't be able to try the rout before the race but the hills here in Puerto Rico are pretty close to the ones in St. George and the weather is very hot. 

I always tell my kids that if they do their homework and study, they will always pass the test.  I know we will be ok but guys keep your mind positive because on race day, you may be physically ready, but your mind can ruin your day.

Keep the target on sight and keep the training.  Good luck everyone and have fun! Laughing

2010-02-08 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Those cover all of the hills on the loop. As for 'Big', just the switch-back is of any size/distance. From memory there was really five climbs of notice, none to get worked up over. The switch-back is the toughest and comes late in the loop, but it is going to be less than 10 minutes of work to get up. The climb after Gunlock is the second toughest, but it too os short, less than 5 minutes. The others being the climb up to the climb on Hwy 91, he Reservoir, and the climb on Hwy 18. The Hwy 18 climb was the worst for me, not physically, but mentally. I got on the hwy and thought it was all downhill  from there. I looked up and saw the small climb and had a momentary let down. I just kept pedaling and it was no problem.

I run a compact with a 12-27 and I am comforatble with the bike. I am also 215 and not nearly tall enough to weigh that much so gravity is not really my friend onthe uphills...
2010-02-09 12:57 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Made my hotel reservations to go down the last week of this month. I promise to post my power data then. I think the ride reports to date have been fantastic. Having run a couple of marathons on portions of this course, the reports have been spot on with my experience.

Now if I could only drop the last 10#...

Mike
2010-02-09 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2661487

User image

VegasJason - 2010-02-08 10:18 AM

First off, I am really not trying to offend anyone here. I just feel like this thread has fallen into two camps

1) those who are scared that they haven’t done enough
2) those who are encouraging the fear.
I
n the post of those who have taken the time to ride and run the actual course I haven’t seen the following;
-The bike course feels flat! Well that's not all true, at least in the IMAZ definition of flat, but for the most part the upgrade is so subtle that the course really does feel flat. Yes there is a huge hill in the loop (about the length of two football fields, should take most less then 5 minutes to ride up it) but so what? On the other side of that is a couple of miles of flat and then a normal hill followed by close to 20 miles of big downhill! This happens twice, and the last time that downhill is all the way into T2. Guess what that means? Your legs should be pretty damn fresh for the run. This is a huge advantage that many IM courses don't get.
-As for the run, yes it is basically 6 miles uphill out and 6 miles downhill back x2. And? You knew that when you signed up, didnt you?
-Wind? Yes we will mostly likely see some. Can we do anything about it (besides maybe avoiding the disk wheel for the day) NO! So there’s not much sense stressing that issue.

Guys and gals I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is just an IM. We are not special because we are doing this one instead of another. Each has its own issues and all you can really do is take that small step towards being stronger, healthier, and faster every day. Hopefully by May 1st you have taken enough steps to finish happy with yourself.

Don’t stress over how hard it’s going to be.
You will suffer, you know that.

Hopefully that’s part of what you do when you train so that it won’t be new on race day.
That’s it, otherwise train the best you can and enjoy the journey to the starting line…..See you there.

Side not- I did post my ride thoughts from my first ride on the course on page 3, I have a stock 52/38 and a 12-25 which I will use on race day.

So, what you are saying is that there is really very little chance of my heart exploding in my chest or my quads bursting apart and spraying flesh and bone all over other riders? 

I'm canceling my life insurance. 

Looking forward to riding the course with you this weekend!  Pray for clear skies and warmish temps!
2010-02-09 3:41 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
Knowing your work habbits, I would keep the life insurance. Should be a fun weekend.

2010-02-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2664167

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm sort of pizzed....  IMSG falls right in the middle of some of this area's BEST races...  I can't do them now because of tapering or recovery...

blows...
2010-02-09 5:35 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
@ Kido- which races are you missing???? Can't really think of to many locally around the same time??
2010-02-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2661487

Silver member
I agree ... It will be an experience! Few will PR on this course unless it's your first (or others have been injury-plagued). I did the course last week and it was hard, yes. I started to get a little scared, but then I remembered that I do this for fun and I will have an experience to remember - even if it's one I don't want to re-live!
2010-02-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2664601

User image

jodietaylor - 2010-02-09 5:31 PM I agree ... It will be an experience! Few will PR on this course unless it's your first (or others have been injury-plagued). I did the course last week and it was hard, yes. I started to get a little scared, but then I remembered that I do this for fun and I will have an experience to remember - even if it's one I don't want to re-live!

That's the great thing about this being my first.  Assuming I don't DNF, it will be a PR! 

Blue skies!
2010-02-12 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

What a great training day!  Slept in, massage at noon, watching the olympics tonight!  Maybe an easy spin tonight...

After 20 hours last week, already at 12 for this week, it's a nice day off - weekend plans include a 2 hour run, 3k swim and 5 hour bike.  If I can get through February I might actually believe I can do this thing!  Been unseasonably cold in houston - tough to get in those rides when it's under 40.  Last week did 70 miles in the hills alone and cold....

Happy training!

2010-02-13 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2670690

User image

New user

Edited by jtous 2010-02-13 12:02 PM
2010-02-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2670690

User image

Veteran

Nice Jason, I know for sure that your mind training is on its way.  70miles in hills, alone and in cold?!?!?  Man you are my hero!  I get desperate when I have to ride back alone on long bike days because my training is different and I barely manage to keep my sanity.  Great job! 

Long day tomorrow for me 5:00hrs bike and :30mins run…  Happy Valentine for everyone… My wife is not mad at least because we will go to see a show in the afternoon.  I just hope I don’t fall to sleep in the middle of it… Tongue out

Edited by nelsonv 2010-02-13 12:04 PM
2010-02-13 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Weather and travel for work caused me to have a bad training week.  Did 4 hours on the trainer today and will run 2 hours on Sunday but I missed all swims this week!!!  I really need to get back at it this week.  I was on my goal pace before this week so I am not super worried as long as I get back on track this week.  
2010-02-14 4:48 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
So got a chance to visit the course again yesterday (3rd visit). The area and course is beautiful and as we all know challenging. The weather was great and air clear. Couple of things to keep in mind for those who aren't as lucky to be so close...1) They are on Mountain time, which I had forgotten about having come from Las Vegas.2) There is some altitude there so if you are coming from flat lands you might notice a difference in your breathing.3) A lot of the road is chip seal or poorly paved. This will slow down your normal speed vs effort. The exception is on 18 (almost all downhill) which is freshly paved. Anyone have any thoughts about tire pressure and how it might help or hinder a ride on chip seal?4) This is a hilly course for both the run and bike. Which to me means that we will need to work on both uphill and downhill training. I really think that there is a huge advantage on the downhill parts of the bike course, but I also think that those who are comfortable riding it without the brakes will gain the most.5) We saw tons of runners and bike riders through out the day. The local community is very active and I hope this translates to some big turn outs for crowd support.Should be a great day with lots of self growth, cant wait!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43