BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2779538

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!

GoFaster - 2010-04-09 9:33 AM Wow you guys post A LOT!!  I was 5 pages behind by 8am.

RedKnight - do you plan on racing either Guelph or Belwood this year?  I'm planning on the Sprints for both.  I did the Guelph Olympic last year (got crushed), but it falls on my wife's birthday this year.

I'm doing both Guelph races and the Belwood. I'm also doing the sprint in Woodstock at the beginning of June. That used to be the Lakeside race. I'm doing the Olympic at the first Guelph and then prints or long sprints for the rest.

Edited by Redknight 2010-04-09 10:02 AM

2010-04-09 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2779584

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2010-04-09 9:47 AM
tjtryon - 2010-04-09 9:01 AM Thank you, I've never ran that far before. Any idea on "fueling" for that distance? I'll have my own "tent" area that I go by each loop of the course. I have a 10 gallon jug of Gu Brew, a couple of big boxes of gels, and I am going to get a couple of bags of bagles from the local Dunkin Donuts (I'm in love with their Cheddar Bagle Twists), some 2 litres of flat coke, and some cans of chicken soup. I'll also have some uncrustables (PB&J) and some candy bars/energy bars. Do I need/want protien during that distance? 50 miles in 12 hours is barely a run, but I imagine it will still suck mentally.

Do you have salt?   Any kind of electrolyte tablets or pretzels?

If you're going to take pretzels dont tell Tracy she will jump all over you when she hears about it. She did when I said I had pretzels on my HIM. Of course she did tell me beofer the race it was a good thing and it was.

2010-04-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2779722

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 10:21 AM
dalessit - 2010-04-09 9:16 AM
GoFaster - 2010-04-09 9:33 AM Wow you guys post A LOT!!  I was 5 pages behind by 8am.

RedKnight - do you plan on racing either Guelph or Belwood this year?  I'm planning on the Sprints for both.  I did the Guelph Olympic last year (got crushed), but it falls on my wife's birthday this year.

yeah this is more of a peer response group vs mentor just answering all questions.  So we all pretty much chime in which tends to up the post count quickly sometimes, especially if there are a lot of questions going around. 

I think thats one of the cool things about this group, we have folks that are fast, slow and everything in between at each discipline so you can get a few perspectives on pretty much every question.

i can give you all the info you need on how to suck at each one!

he can also give plenty of expert advice on sucking on those 12oz weights too.

2010-04-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2779929

User image

Master
Redknight - 2010-04-09 10:07 AM

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 10:21 AM
dalessit - 2010-04-09 9:16 AM

yeah this is more of a peer response group vs mentor just answering all questions.  So we all pretty much chime in which tends to up the post count quickly sometimes, especially if there are a lot of questions going around. 

I think thats one of the cool things about this group, we have folks that are fast, slow getting faster, and everything in between at each discipline so you can get a few perspectives on pretty much every question.

i can give you all the info you need on how to suck at each one! I keep plugging away and getting better, so I can give you tips on how you can do that too!! (And don't ever talk badly about yourself or Suzy will give you a tongue lashing!!

he can also give plenty of expert advice on sucking on those 12oz weights too.

Fixed that before you got verbally abused. But yeah, he does give limitless advice on the 12oz. weights.  
2010-04-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2779823

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-04-09 9:46 AM

Lastly - I also use SportTracks, but I sort of stopped using that because I'm getting different numbers compared to Garmin Training Center. Sometime it's off by a little or a lot in terms of splits, and speed. I think I'm going to go bonkers if I over analyze my workouts by using two different things. I do like SportTracks better though.  However, they will only read the last 5 workouts on my Garmin, so I'm kind of SOL if I don't transfer my workouts everyday.

Not sure, never used sporttracks, John might have thoughts on the differences, he is the resident geographer type person

Thanks for any help...

you can export the .gpx from the training center and shoot it to me if you want at [email protected].  i'll take a look.  i'm having a hard time understanding why so many sites will spit out such different paths.  my thought is each is tossing garmins elevation data and using another data set, maybe usgs 10m or similar. dunno.

oh. speaking of.  i heard there was a cougar spotted on cougar mountain this morning.  ha!

edit.  fwiw. i use my own software.  not the training center or sporttracks or..

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-09 10:16 AM
2010-04-09 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2779379

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
tjtryon - 2010-04-09 7:46 AM In 9 hours, I will be embarking on a 12 hour, 50 mile run to help cure cancer. Wish me luck! http://main.acsevents.org/goto/tjtryon

That is awesome!!!  I lost my father less than a month ago to cancer.  I wish you the very best of luck!!!

Edited by HollyW 2010-04-09 10:18 AM

2010-04-09 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
I'm racing this weekend!!! - 10 mile bike at the Redbud Classic in OKC.

Good luck, TJ!!!!  

Edited by kickitinok 2010-04-09 10:18 AM
2010-04-09 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2779954

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-09 10:14 AM

Lastly - I also use SportTracks, but I sort of stopped using that because I'm getting different numbers compared to Garmin Training Center. Sometime it's off by a little or a lot in terms of splits, and speed. I think I'm going to go bonkers if I over analyze my workouts by using two different things. I do like SportTracks better though.  However, they will only read the last 5 workouts on my Garmin, so I'm kind of SOL if I don't transfer my workouts everyday.

Not sure, never used sporttracks, John might have thoughts on the differences, he is the resident geographer type person

Thanks for any help...

you can export the .gpx from the training center and shoot it to me if you want at [email protected].  i'll take a look.  i'm having a hard time understanding why so many sites will spit out such different paths.  my thought is each is tossing garmins elevation data and using another data set, maybe usgs 10m or similar. dunno.

oh. speaking of.  i heard there was a cougar spotted on cougar mountain this morning.  ha!

Are you calling me a cougar???! As I was telling Steve and crew, the conversation in my kitchen was pretty funny last night. Hubs heard I was getting up at 4:30 to meet a friend to run and says, "Why don't you just go meet her now? Why bother going to bed?" I explained that she was a "he." (Oh great, says hubs!) Someone I met online (even better!).  
2010-04-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2779966

User image

Master
Sin City
kickitinok - 2010-04-09 8:18 AM I'm racing this weekend!!! - 10 mile bike at the Redbud Classic in OKC.

Good luck, TJ!!!!  

GOOD LUCK!!!! :-)
2010-04-09 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Hey! Wait! Is there another OKC girl on the MG?!? Howdy, Holly! Laughing
2010-04-09 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Holy Cow....the new people must post a lot because I am really far behind.....I did catch a couple things worth commenting on:

TJ: I am not expert on your stomach, but how have you fueled when you've done marathons?  Seems like a lot of simple sugars going in that gut for that long which would cause me GI issues. Is it a single source (e.g. malodextrin) or multiple sources?  I agree protein is a good add, but can you handle solids well?  To me, it is all what you have practiced with an for that distance unless you are planning some walking along the way, I would really strategize how many calories you are taking in and of what variety (e.g CHO to protein to fat). I know you said you were a coach so I am guessing you probably have researched this pretty well, but not sure based on your post...GOOD LUCK!  My dad died of cancer so I am very thankful for people like you doing events like this.

Jeff: I did turn the satellite off, but it requires several steps other than hitting mode.  I think proceeded to hit the lap button afte reach set, but for some reason it didn't work.  Someone in the main forum told me to hit reset and now I can see the data on the watch, but it still wont upload.  Taking two watches for my HIM swim today.  For my PT, I did buy the Joule 2.0 so I do not have to use multiple gadgets.  I wont have it for Lonestar, but will start using it as soon as I get home.  Saris is having issues with keeping inventory in stock and even with a back door resource I still am waiting for the unit.  Then my fitter is building the wheel.

Kyla: Thanks for sticking up for me....I might be small, but I am powerful...before John knows it he will be flat on his Texas A@*! ...oh and how was your date????

Totally jazzed for my first event tomorrow.....even though I am really not racing it, it's a race!!!!  And watching the 100K'ers is likely to be amazing.  Some of the best in the world are already running all over Madison. Some are kinda hot too Tongue out. Not that I have been staring or anything....

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-04-09 10:25 AM

2010-04-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2776893

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:08 AM Hey somebody better get RedKnight in here or I am going to be the oldest member of the MG! And I am at the end of my AG (49)!

To all the new members (and any old ones that are interested) I track the sale of used Computrainers around the country. Post if you are considering buying one and where you are. If I see one in your area I will let you know. I think Andy and Ryan (or a friend of his) picked up deals I found.

Doug

Doug,  I'm in Amarillo TX. I'd like to have a Computrainer if I can find a deal I can afford.

Thanks Tiana
2010-04-09 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2779967

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2010-04-09 10:18 AM

Thanks for any help...

Are you calling me a cougar???! As I was telling Steve and crew, the conversation in my kitchen was pretty funny last night. Hubs heard I was getting up at 4:30 to meet a friend to run and says, "Why don't you just go meet her now? Why bother going to bed?" I explained that she was a "he." (Oh great, says hubs!) Someone I met online (even better!).  

about a year ago i got an PM from a person i never met.  long story story short she asked if she could meet me at a liquor store a bunch of us meet at for workouts and races for a 5k the next day.  i said sure thinking she was going to follow me down in her car.  nope.  she hoped right in my truck smiling away.  i didn't move an inch until she called someone and told them who she was with and where she was going.
2010-04-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2780002

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
SSMinnow - 2010-04-09 11:24 AM
TJ: I am not expert on your stomach, but how have you fueled when you've done marathons?  Seems like a lot of simple sugars going in that gut for that long which would cause me GI issues. Is it a single source (e.g. malodextrin) or multiple sources?  I agree protein is a good add, but can you handle solids well?  To me, it is all what you have practiced with an for that distance unless you are planning some walking along the way, I would really strategize how many calories you are taking in and of what variety (e.g CHO to protein to fat). I know you said you were a coach so I am guessing you probably have researched this pretty well, but not sure based on your post...GOOD LUCK!  My dad died of cancer so I am very thankful for people like you doing events like this.

I am assuming that running a marathon and running 50 miles is completely different. I know as far as up to a marathon, I can do electrolyte drinks, gels and such. Beyond that, I am sure I will need some real food. This is a new area for me, so I am really not sure how to handle it. I know what I am planning, and I am just looking for other ideas as well, regardless of if someone has done something like this or not. Any idea is/can be a good idea.

As far as electrolytes, I'll have Gu Brew as the primary source, but with the soup and food, I should have plenty. If not, I'll have a jar of Hammer ecaps as well. On hot races, I need upwards of 1G/hour. Fortunatly, this will be somewhere south of 55*.

Thanks everyone, good luck to everyone else competing this weekend too!
2010-04-09 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2779966

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kickitinok - 2010-04-09 10:18 AM I'm racing this weekend!!! - 10 mile bike at the Redbud Classic in OKC.

Good luck, TJ!!!!  

Go kill it Trina!!!  Good luck!

2010-04-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2780000

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
kickitinok - 2010-04-09 10:24 AM Hey! Wait! Is there another OKC girl on the MG?!? Howdy, Holly! Laughing

Cool!!!  Hey Trina!  Where in OKC are you at?  I live up by Lake Hefner.  Good luck tomorrow the weather should be great for the race.....minimal wind.  I've done Red Bud bike tour the last 2 years it's a great ride......well last year was tough with the insane wind.  I think I'm going to do the 5K on Sunday. 

2010-04-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2780004

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tritiny - 2010-04-09 10:25 AM
DougRob - 2010-04-08 10:08 AM Hey somebody better get RedKnight in here or I am going to be the oldest member of the MG! And I am at the end of my AG (49)!

To all the new members (and any old ones that are interested) I track the sale of used Computrainers around the country. Post if you are considering buying one and where you are. If I see one in your area I will let you know. I think Andy and Ryan (or a friend of his) picked up deals I found.

Doug

Doug,  I'm in Amarillo TX. I'd like to have a Computrainer if I can find a deal I can afford.

Thanks Tiana

If it lived in Amarillo, I would probably want a CT as well...  There is whole lot of "smell" around that city

2010-04-09 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2779967

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kkcbelle - 2010-04-09 10:18 AM

Thanks for any help...

LOL - that is so funny!  I'm still laughing!
2010-04-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2780023

User image

Champion
I am going to take the leap that long distance triathon might be similar to a 50K at least in terms of total hours out there on the road....I have only done a 6 hour HIM and for that I never took in solids.  Did Perpeteum on the bike and a gel on the run...the only reason I used this combo was for the protein in Perpeteum.   I have volunteered at IM WI on the run course and have seen all sorts of strategies....those that only drink, those that look at the fueling stations as a total smorgasbord and eat the bananas/oranges/pretzels/coke and broth.  If I had an iron gut, I would go with solids because of taste fatigue and hunger....I am doing a 50K relay which is also part of a 100K....I know it won't do you any good, but I will look at what some of the finer athletes are consuming....always interesting to bank for future reference.

tjtryon - 2010-04-09 10:29 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-04-09 11:24 AM TJ: I am not expert on your stomach, but how have you fueled when you've done marathons?  Seems like a lot of simple sugars going in that gut for that long which would cause me GI issues. Is it a single source (e.g. malodextrin) or multiple sources?  I agree protein is a good add, but can you handle solids well?  To me, it is all what you have practiced with an for that distance unless you are planning some walking along the way, I would really strategize how many calories you are taking in and of what variety (e.g CHO to protein to fat). I know you said you were a coach so I am guessing you probably have researched this pretty well, but not sure based on your post...GOOD LUCK!  My dad died of cancer so I am very thankful for people like you doing events like this.

I am assuming that running a marathon and running 50 miles is completely different. I know as far as up to a marathon, I can do electrolyte drinks, gels and such. Beyond that, I am sure I will need some real food. This is a new area for me, so I am really not sure how to handle it. I know what I am planning, and I am just looking for other ideas as well, regardless of if someone has done something like this or not. Any idea is/can be a good idea. As far as electrolytes, I'll have Gu Brew as the primary source, but with the soup and food, I should have plenty. If not, I'll have a jar of Hammer ecaps as well. On hot races, I need upwards of 1G/hour. Fortunatly, this will be somewhere south of 55*. Thanks everyone, good luck to everyone else competing this weekend too!
2010-04-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2780104

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
[

If it lived in Amarillo, I would probably want a CT as well...  There is whole lot of "smell" around that city

LOL it's not that bad.  Every once in a while my four year says "Mom, the cows pooped outside again. It's stinky."
2010-04-09 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Hey John...only you would meet a woman at a liquor store....did she have two front teeth?

2010-04-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2780101

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

HollyW - 2010-04-09 10:52 AM
kickitinok - 2010-04-09 10:24 AM Hey! Wait! Is there another OKC girl on the MG?!? Howdy, Holly! Laughing

Cool!!!  Hey Trina!  Where in OKC are you at?  I live up by Lake Hefner.  Good luck tomorrow the weather should be great for the race.....minimal wind.  I've done Red Bud bike tour the last 2 years it's a great ride......well last year was tough with the insane wind.  I think I'm going to do the 5K on Sunday. 

Trina - you still thinking about the occc sprint?  How about you Holly?  I'm signing up next week!

2010-04-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2780133

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tritiny - 2010-04-09 10:58 AM [

LOL it's not that bad.  Every once in a while my four year says "Mom, the cows pooped outside again. It's stinky."

LOL - that's the smell of money - or so I am told....

2010-04-09 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2780023

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
tjtryon - 2010-04-09 8:29 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-04-09 11:24 AM TJ: I am not expert on your stomach, but how have you fueled when you've done marathons?  Seems like a lot of simple sugars going in that gut for that long which would cause me GI issues. Is it a single source (e.g. malodextrin) or multiple sources?  I agree protein is a good add, but can you handle solids well?  To me, it is all what you have practiced with an for that distance unless you are planning some walking along the way, I would really strategize how many calories you are taking in and of what variety (e.g CHO to protein to fat). I know you said you were a coach so I am guessing you probably have researched this pretty well, but not sure based on your post...GOOD LUCK!  My dad died of cancer so I am very thankful for people like you doing events like this.

I am assuming that running a marathon and running 50 miles is completely different. I know as far as up to a marathon, I can do electrolyte drinks, gels and such. Beyond that, I am sure I will need some real food. This is a new area for me, so I am really not sure how to handle it. I know what I am planning, and I am just looking for other ideas as well, regardless of if someone has done something like this or not. Any idea is/can be a good idea. As far as electrolytes, I'll have Gu Brew as the primary source, but with the soup and food, I should have plenty. If not, I'll have a jar of Hammer ecaps as well. On hot races, I need upwards of 1G/hour. Fortunatly, this will be somewhere south of 55*. Thanks everyone, good luck to everyone else competing this weekend too!

Good Luck, TJ!!! A 50 miler is one of my goals this year, if all goes well. When I was training for a 50k I found that I did need solid food for the longer runs. What I found worked best for me was a mix of pretzels and dried fruit that I kind of grazed on throughout the run. I found that if I ate too much at one time it did give me some stomach upset, but eating a small hand full at a time every 30' or so worked well for me. I also filled my fuel bottles with Infinit and sipped on that throughout. I'm pretty slow and there was a huge elevation gain during the race, so I was out there about 8 hours and the nutrition was spot on for me. Have a great time!
2010-04-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2780140

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2010-04-09 10:59 AM Hey John...only you would meet a woman at a liquor store....did she have two front teeth?

what do you say to a good looking girl from houston?

nice tooth.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328