Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2012-12-26 11:42 PM
in reply to: #4549257

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
reecealan - 2012-12-26 10:44 PM

I have no cadence sensor and no power meter.  Just ride more? 

Pretty much. Maybe gear up or down for a very little bit every now and then. That will take care of the vast majority of the time where you're cruising along.

OK bike question.  I have a KK fluid trainer, still in the box.  But I like spin class, my buddies are there etc. and I really work hard in there, pool of sweat under my bike every time.  But will there be noticeable difference in my abilities this summer if I do trainer rides instead, assuming more or less equal effort?  I was thinking of doing Jorge's winter program.

What say you fellow Utopians?

With equal effort, I like the trainer a bit more. But it's not so great that once or twice a week with your buddies will have a big negative impact. For a social person, the positive from being with people may outweigh what might be a slight difference between them otherwise.

2012-12-27 3:18 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
reecealan - 2012-12-27 12:44 AM 

I have no cadence sensor and no power meter.  Just ride more?  I do want to improve on the bike but budget is low!  I would like a TT bike as I think I can get some speed going that way, current setup is Felt F75 with inexpensive aerobars.  I actually have no idea what my cadence is.

That group ride idea sounds like a low budget idea.  Maybe I'll get a cadence sensor although it's in the 20's here so no group rides will be happening for a while.

OK bike question.  I have a KK fluid trainer, still in the box.  But I like spin class, my buddies are there etc. and I really work hard in there, pool of sweat under my bike every time.  But will there be noticeable difference in my abilities this summer if I do trainer rides instead, assuming more or less equal effort?  I was thinking of doing Jorge's winter program.

OK, just saw Jason's comment on the TT thread about the body "self" inflicting a cadence etc. makes sense.

I'm a big fan of Jorge's program, I saw huge gains from it last winter.  It was the first time that I felt like I was getting proper use of my power meter.  I know you said you don't have one but if you use your KK for virtual power you can get yourself a pretty good estimation for training purposes.

I can't say if it will be better or worse than the spin classes you are doing, that probably depends on the spin class.  Are you on your own bike for them?

2012-12-27 3:21 AM
in reply to: #4549190

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Keaulani - 2012-12-26 11:22 PM Hi everyone, back from the holiday break, hope everyone had a nice time. Enjoyed reading all the new posts, training updates ect but there is a lot to catch up on. This group is quite active and inspiring. The collective list of 2013 goals is quite impressive!

I was out for an hour run tonight. It started out with some gentle snow, by the end I was in a blinding snowstorm and ended up running off the road. That's New England!

Anyone planning on a New Year's Day race?

I was caught in a snow storm like that a few weeks ago, good times!

No New years day race for me, how about yourself?

2012-12-27 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good morning all, is everyone ready to burn off all the calories from the last few days?  Laughing

I had a good hard workout on the trainer this morning and have a short run set for later today.

2012-12-27 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4549316

User image

Master
Central Kansas
axteraa - 2012-12-27 5:15 AM

Good morning all, is everyone ready to burn off all the calories from the last few days?  Laughing

I had a good hard workout on the trainer this morning and have a short run set for later today.

Good morning, to you! I have spin class this evening (coincidentally) and a 2-3 mile run on the schedule. I hope all of you affected by the storms over the past couple days are beginning to recover.

2012-12-27 6:12 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
axteraa - 2012-12-27 4:15 AM

I stepped on the scale this morning to a loss of weight.  I have a run on the schedule for today, which I will probably do this morning despite it being cold cause we have another storm coming in.  Worried it will get icy if I wait.  Think this will be a tights run.

2012-12-27 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4549165

User image

Expert

mndymond - 2012-12-26 10:02 PM I did an awesome 60k ride today on the Honoapillani hwy. ended up making friends with a 70yr old guy who was riding and did most of the ride with him. Turkey leftovers for dinner tonight!!

That sounds fantastic!!! I'm hoping to get in a 33 mile ride with my husband today. 

2012-12-27 6:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Strength, then a one hour base run for me. Just waiting for a little more daylight...
2012-12-27 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
reecealan - 2012-12-25 11:44 PM

OK, just saw Jason's comment on the TT thread about the body "self" inflicting a cadence etc. makes sense.

My experience for this: I can't get the spin bikes to reflect my position on my actual bike closely enough. As a result, I feel like I am training differently on the spin bike than on my actual bike (this is probably scientific hogwash - but go with me)...almost as if I am using different parts of muscles. As a result - I use spin classes as a workout, but not as a bike-specific workout.

There is a lot to be said about the social impact of the classes, as well as keeping the blood pumping during the winter months (for us northerners), so I wouldn't throw out the spin class. But, i wouldn't think I am getting mileage on my legs.

Jason - I love the idea of self-selecting a cadence. I find that I "relax" into a specific cadence. This is a great exercise to remind my legs of all of their options.

Fred - you are always welcome and I wish you luck in your new mentor group...and listen to Jason's sig line.

2012-12-27 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4549051

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

cordova78 - 2012-12-26 8:30 PM I wanted to hear the group's thought on the BT "No-fluff winter maintenance plan".  It's focus is on intensity vs. endurance.  Just curious if anyone used in before, and if you felt it improved your speed, while maintaining your endurance over the winter season.  Thanks! Chris

Chris:  I used a portion of this plan in the winter 2 years ago although I thought the bike workouts were way too easy and substitued the Jorge plan.  The plan has 3 long(er) swims each week and I thought the run workouts were short but intense.   The plan is still in the 7-9 hour range I think which is actually pretty high if you are in a pre-season mode.

I got faster and thought it was a good program (minus the bike workouts) for me at the time.

2012-12-27 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4549084

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
tri808 - 2012-12-26 8:55 PM
kcarroll - 2012-12-26 3:27 PM
tri808 - 2012-12-26 8:08 PM

Kim,

I actually just posted something in the main forums on the topic.  IMO, cadence is something you simply need to experiment with.  And you're not going to figure it out in one ride, in one week, or probably not even one month. 

You simply need to ride a lot, and try using different gear/cadence combinations.  You don't really need to "teach" your body how to ride at a given cadence, you simply need to let your body know that a given cadence is "available."  Once your body is familiar with the cadences it has available to use, your body will automatically select the cadence that produces the most efficiency.

A good way to test this is with a power meter.  Try to sustain a given amount of power (such as 200 watts) and flip through your gears.  Find the gear/cadence that allows you to ride at the target power at the lowest RPE.

Or you can do this with a steady group ride (read...constant power output).  Ride with the pace of the group, and again...flip through your gears to see which gear/cadence allows you to stick with the group at the lowest RPE.

Also know that there isn't one perfect cadence for all situations. 

Thanks Jason. Just read your post in TT. Both helpful. Re testing with a power meter, can I use Trainer Road ie virtual power for this?  

Yes, virtual power should be fine.  If you have a garmin, or something that can record your cadence and record laps, then this is what I would do for an experimentation trainer ride.

Warm up 10 minutes, then do 5x2 minute intervals at HIM effort, with a 2 minute break in between.  Each interval, focus on a different cadence.  Start out with what you feel is "normal"...lets say it's 83.  Try one interval at 73, one at 78, one at 88, and one at 93.  This would basically give your body a "refresher course" at what cadences you have available to you.

Now ride for 10-15 minutes at a slightly higher effort.  Maybe between HIM and Oly effort.  Completely ignore your cadence display on your computer...just shift through your gears and find a cadence that you feel is most comfortable to ride at your target wattage (read...lowest RPE).

Once you're done, go back and look at that 10-15 minute interval and see what cadence you rode at.  Set that as a "benchmark".  A couple of days later, try the same type of workout, but this time monitor your cadence for the 10-15 minute interval and shoot for something 3-5 rpms faster.  At the end of the set, evaluate to yourself if that felt "easier" or "harder" by RPE.  If it felt easier, then try the experiment again at an even higher RPE and reevaluate.  Or if it felt harder, try a lower rpm.

Eventually your body is going to recognize for itself which cadence is best, and you'll be shifting without even thinking.  But until you actually try different cadences, your body may not know there is something better out there.

This is good advice and as mentioned cadence is very personal and not worth spending too much time worrying about it. 

In the last couple years I always seemed to be in the 80-85 range and this year, for whatever reason, 85-90 is more comfortable for me.  I use TrainerRoad and it shows cadence, otherwise I do not have cadence on my bike computer and really do not worry about it too much.  Just ride and your body will find that ideal cadence for you.

2012-12-27 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4549307

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
axteraa - 2012-12-27 4:21 AM

Keaulani - 2012-12-26 11:22 PM Hi everyone, back from the holiday break, hope everyone had a nice time. Enjoyed reading all the new posts, training updates ect but there is a lot to catch up on. This group is quite active and inspiring. The collective list of 2013 goals is quite impressive!

I was out for an hour run tonight. It started out with some gentle snow, by the end I was in a blinding snowstorm and ended up running off the road. That's New England!

Anyone planning on a New Year's Day race?

I was caught in a snow storm like that a few weeks ago, good times!

No New years day race for me, how about yourself?

I have a 6 mile road race on New Years Day!

2012-12-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4549341

Master
Northern IL
bzgl40 - 2012-12-27 6:12 AM

I stepped on the scale this morning to a loss of weight.  I have a run on the schedule for today, which I will probably do this morning despite it being cold cause we have another storm coming in.  Worried it will get icy if I wait.  Think this will be a tights run.

I'm a touch down as well. Not too surprising though as meals for us aren't really that spectacular, and eating in general is off a bit from normal. I don't eat as much the rest of the days because of the schedule. And it looks like the snow is coming here too, but not until tomorrow. Not sure how much yet.
2012-12-27 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4549487

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
brigby1 - 2012-12-27 10:16 AM
bzgl40 - 2012-12-27 6:12 AM

I'm a touch down as well. Not too surprising though as meals for us aren't really that spectacular, and eating in general is off a bit from normal. I don't eat as much the rest of the days because of the schedule. And it looks like the snow is coming here too, but not until tomorrow. Not sure how much yet.

I also stepped on the scale this morning.  I have chosen to not accept the displayed number as fact and will re-evaluate on Monday....

2012-12-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4549348

Master
Northern IL
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-12-27 6:29 AM 

My experience for this: I can't get the spin bikes to reflect my position on my actual bike closely enough. As a result, I feel like I am training differently on the spin bike than on my actual bike (this is probably scientific hogwash - but go with me)...almost as if I am using different parts of muscles. As a result - I use spin classes as a workout, but not as a bike-specific workout.

There is a lot to be said about the social impact of the classes, as well as keeping the blood pumping during the winter months (for us northerners), so I wouldn't throw out the spin class. But, i wouldn't think I am getting mileage on my legs.

The training feels a little different because it is a little different if you can't quite match the position. It's not a complete yes/no however, but a sliding scale of how close. You can gain quite a bit of fitness on a mountain bike, but it would be better if it was more like your tri position as there would likely be a slight percent loss. Xterra guys have done rather well on the bike when they stay on road.

2012-12-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Payson, AZ
I started my run with black pavement and ended it with white pavement.  Glad I got it done early, even though I had to start in the dark, as I have a feeling it is going to get messy today.

2012-12-27 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4549517

User image

Expert
brigby1 - 2012-12-27 9:28 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-12-27 6:29 AM 

The training feels a little different because it is a little different if you can't quite match the position. It's not a complete yes/no however, but a sliding scale of how close. You can gain quite a bit of fitness on a mountain bike, but it would be better if it was more like your tri position as there would likely be a slight percent loss. Xterra guys have done rather well on the bike when they stay on road.

Last year my husband bought a spinner and I used it almost exclusively over the winter months. I really loved it.

This fall my husband got a trainer. I put my bike  on it after doing a week on the spinner and there was a HUGE difference in feeling. I've not touched the spinner since. 

2012-12-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4549567

User image

Expert

bzgl40 - 2012-12-27 9:50 AM I started my run with black pavement and ended it with white pavement.  Glad I got it done early, even though I had to start in the dark, as I have a feeling it is going to get messy today.

Great job on getting it done early!!! I'm here.. sitting on my couch. I should be running... 

2012-12-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4549569

Master
Northern IL
KateTri1 - 2012-12-27 8:51 AM 

Last year my husband bought a spinner and I used it almost exclusively over the winter months. I really loved it.

This fall my husband got a trainer. I put my bike  on it after doing a week on the spinner and there was a HUGE difference in feeling. I've not touched the spinner since. 

Not all spinners are the same either. There can be a difference in feeling. I seem to be lucky in having some better ones available where the difference isn't so great, but have seen some that would be rather hard to ride regularly. I do wonder how much the ability of the rider comes into play as well. As a stronger rider will be able to crank it up more and get less "help" from the flywheel.

2012-12-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4549493

User image

axteraa - 2012-12-27 4:18 AM

I also stepped on the scale this morning.  I have chosen to not accept the displayed number as fact and will re-evaluate on Monday....

I think Monday is a good idea...re-evaluating on Tuesday, or Wednesday morning might not be so smart though.

2012-12-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4549493

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

axteraa - 2012-12-27 9:18 AM [I also stepped on the scale this morning.  I have chosen to not accept the displayed number as fact and will re-evaluate on Monday....

Oh, Arend, I wouldn't worry about it too much this time of the year - I am pretty sure it is just the colder weather. You do know that the density of cold air is MUCH higher than warm air, right? That means there is a lot more air pushing down on the scale this time of year. It gets so cold here sometimes in late December my weight increases as much as 10 pounds over my summer weight! No telling what I would weigh if I lived in Canada...

2012-12-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4549712

User image

Payson, AZ
TankBoy - 2012-12-27 8:49 AM

axteraa - 2012-12-27 9:18 AM [I also stepped on the scale this morning.  I have chosen to not accept the displayed number as fact and will re-evaluate on Monday....

Oh, Arend, I wouldn't worry about it too much this time of the year - I am pretty sure it is just the colder weather. You do know that the density of cold air is MUCH higher than warm air, right? That means there is a lot more air pushing down on the scale this time of year. It gets so cold here sometimes in late December my weight increases as much as 10 pounds over my summer weight! No telling what I would weigh if I lived in Canada...

Post of the week

2012-12-27 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TankBoy - 2012-12-27 9:49 AM

Thank you, Rusty. This is very helpful and explains a lot! Innocent

2012-12-27 10:56 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
TankBoy - 2012-12-27 11:49 AM

That makes so much sense, I knew there had to be an explanation.

Just another one of the hardships we have to endure up here.  

2012-12-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4549669

User image

Expert
brigby1 - 2012-12-27 10:31 AM
KateTri1 - 2012-12-27 8:51 AM 

Not all spinners are the same either. There can be a difference in feeling. I seem to be lucky in having some better ones available where the difference isn't so great, but have seen some that would be rather hard to ride regularly. I do wonder how much the ability of the rider comes into play as well. As a stronger rider will be able to crank it up more and get less "help" from the flywheel.

I'm guessing you are right about the maturity of the rider being a big factor. I am only in my third season of serious riding. (I commuted with a fat tire for years

We do have a pretty decent NXT spinner that was bought from Craigslist.

Personally, at this point for me it's all about time.  I squeeze my workouts in to every nook and cranny of my day.. and I've a 70.3 in March. I feel like I need to ride on my race bike every second that I can. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190