BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Artemis

Hiya manatees!  I was on vacation for the last 2 1/2 weeks of July.  It was insane to try to post from my phone (grrr BT update!).  I finished my 150 mile ride!!  This is the first time I've managed to bike the whole thing.  Had a great weekend with my dad.  Realized I really need to get a bike fit and possibly a new saddle.  My tailbone is still bruised and the ride was 7/19 - 7/20.  Is it wrong that one of my saddle considerations is if I can get it in white to match my bike?

I'm kind of lacking in motivation right now.  In general, I'm not really up for super regimented training.  I don't know why.  I'm hoping I gain a little more motivation going into winter.

I'm taking August off from Body Back.  Going to start up again in September.  I was considering signing up for the half marathon training team and a half marathon in November, but I'm really not feeling that right now.  I'm not really up for a half marathon right now.  Maybe in the spring?  I'm not pushing it.

I am considering doing a century this fall.  There is one in Richmond in October, but it is really expensive. There is also one in Lake Anna in September.  That one has a stop at the Lake Anna winery, and they'll transport the wine to the finish.  

Welcome back Wondermoose and CONSPANKULATIONS ... and a kiss for your broken azz.

This thyroid shyte is the serious pits. Don't underestimate the effects of that on motivation. It doesn't motivate you more, but ... makes it a happier place to not also feel bad about it.

Yes, my thyroiditis and resultant hypothyroid has indeed been healing in these few months ... but what a miserable pain in the azz.

Yeah, I really hate it.  I've had to switch my meds a few times in the past couple months, and that always screws up my thyroid dose.  Waiting until those get settled before I tackle the thyroid medication dose again.

2014-08-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi, I'm back again for a few days before taking off again.  Man, am I dragging from 1 week of tri-related and outdoor fun in LP, then 3 days of hockey tournament madness.  Trying to adjust to the return to work and return to 'normal' life is going a bit rough.  Not much sense in trying since I'll be disrupting myself again soon.  I tried to catch up on all the manatee doings but you guys are so busy...

2014-08-04 1:20 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hiya manatees!  I was on vacation for the last 2 1/2 weeks of July.  It was insane to try to post from my phone (grrr BT update!).  I finished my 150 mile ride!!  This is the first time I've managed to bike the whole thing.  Had a great weekend with my dad.  Realized I really need to get a bike fit and possibly a new saddle.  My tailbone is still bruised and the ride was 7/19 - 7/20.  Is it wrong that one of my saddle considerations is if I can get it in white to match my bike?

I'm kind of lacking in motivation right now.  In general, I'm not really up for super regimented training.  I don't know why.  I'm hoping I gain a little more motivation going into winter.

I'm taking August off from Body Back.  Going to start up again in September.  I was considering signing up for the half marathon training team and a half marathon in November, but I'm really not feeling that right now.  I'm not really up for a half marathon right now.  Maybe in the spring?  I'm not pushing it.

I am considering doing a century this fall.  There is one in Richmond in October, but it is really expensive. There is also one in Lake Anna in September.  That one has a stop at the Lake Anna winery, and they'll transport the wine to the finish.  

Welcome back Wondermoose and CONSPANKULATIONS ... and a kiss for your broken azz.

This thyroid shyte is the serious pits. Don't underestimate the effects of that on motivation. It doesn't motivate you more, but ... makes it a happier place to not also feel bad about it.

Yes, my thyroiditis and resultant hypothyroid has indeed been healing in these few months ... but what a miserable pain in the azz.

Yeah, I really hate it.  I've had to switch my meds a few times in the past couple months, and that always screws up my thyroid dose.  Waiting until those get settled before I tackle the thyroid medication dose again.

Ugh.  Meds.  Better living through chemicals - as long as they work.  I take a handful and have FINALLY gotten the cocktail right.  I hate taking all those pills but the results are totally worth it.  Hang in there.  Doing a 150 mile ride with a saddle that causes a sore rear is pretty dang impressive!!!

BTW, did you see that Lego's female scientist is now on the market?  Buy it quick so you have a real "live" one to match your avatar!

2014-08-04 1:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi, I'm back again for a few days before taking off again.  Man, am I dragging from 1 week of tri-related and outdoor fun in LP, then 3 days of hockey tournament madness.  Trying to adjust to the return to work and return to 'normal' life is going a bit rough.  Not much sense in trying since I'll be disrupting myself again soon.  I tried to catch up on all the manatee doings but you guys are so busy...

Yay!  Welcome back, however briefly.  Hope you get a chance to stop and breathe for a minute before zipping off again.  What's the next disruption?

2014-08-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Darren!  I thought of you yesterday while watching Geraint Thomas sport his country's colours as he won the Commonwealth Games TT. He was quoted as saying that he was quite excited to again wear the dragon. (yes, I'm still days behind on the games). The Welsh have got some grit! I love watching them compete!

For those of you in the know... I must admit, this is my first time watching the Commonwealth Games. I'd only first heard of them when i read "The Perfect Mile" a couple years ago. How is the location of the games chosen. Is it similar to the Olympics?

And I love the Scottish announcers! I could listen to that accent all day long. My son and I have trouble taking the table tennis and badmitton seriously, but the rugby... now there's a sport!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-08-04 1:29 PM
2014-08-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kgore

Hey everybodeeeeeee! Just checking in, getting caught up, etc....so...latest news: my race last week went well-slow, but we'll! I ran more of it than other races this year, and had a good time too--the best part? No blisters! As I mentioned earlier, I am officially signed up for CIM, it's in December, and I start training officially NOW. Yep. Actually TRAINING. It's obviously end times. My 4 week nutrition challenge ends in 3 days--I stuck to it reasonably well and am down 10 pounds and a pants size. I plan on sticking to the majority of the eating plan, but will definitely reintroduce 'pizza Fridays' back into my lifestyle! I do feel really good overall, so I am happy. 

My mom had acquired a hernia due to the hip surgery/cancer madness last year, so she had surgery on it on Thursday...of course, she couldn't do it normally and the 'outpatient' procedure resulted in an overnight stay and the realization that she is allergic to morphine! She is back home now and recovering well. Still no return of cancer so we are cautiously optimistic. My dad continues to work on his various issues--he is having a hard time losing more weight, but his foot is slowly getting better from the diabetic issues...he is walking often and though slowly, it will mean improvement overall. 

On the job front...nothing. No call backs, no interviews, etc. But...I am okay with that. The management has put another person (of my choosing--his too, thankfully) as my back up keeper...this means the stress inducing troublemaker will NOT be back to annoy me. They have also let me know that I will be the only supervising keeper of the reptile section. AND. We just got a new general curator--who just brought in 3 incredibly far Madagascar Big Headed Turtles to begin a conservation/breeding program with us! Super excited to work with these guys! 

All in all I am happy with life right now.

Once you are well into training for the marathon, at a really inconvenient time training-wise, you'll hear something on the job front.  That's how these things work.   Like when I made a plan to live alone forever in small hobbit condo, I met Kevin.

Congrats on the need for new pants!

2014-08-04 1:35 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

SCHMOLEY SHYTE BATMAN I made the front cover of Indonesia's largest daily yesterday! It's got a readership in the millions! Best of all I got a word in for Bali Sports Foundation

Here's my oh-so-awesome seat of the pants translation of the bit with me (in a larger piece about ultra endurance sports). Please don't laugh (too much) about the extremely obvious do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do stuff ...

"It's harder to reach the start line than the finish line," said Arsiyanti Ardie, 38, Manager of Marketing Indocore Indonesia and Commissioner of Bali Sport Foundation for disabled and disadvantaged Indonesians. That is, the preparation to participate in various competitions requires preparation in exercise much more extensive than the race itself.

According to Yanti, to undertake extreme events, such as long course triathlons or open water swimming, it requires mental toughness, self control, time management, and simply everyday discipline.

For example, Yanti found it's more important to be consistent at something small every day and not stop in the middle of the road than to do occasional big things. According to her, consistent exercise just 7-10 hours per week is enough to simply complete an Iron Man or Ultra Marathon.

Yanti was the first female from Indonesia who has reached finish of the triathlon category Full or Iron Man. "I reached the finish in time in Iron Man New Zealand, having previously failed to finish four times," she said.

Although big events can be reached through little achievements, it's not that Yanti doesn't try to test limits that may not be possible. She and her husband never swam from Lombok to Bali--yet. Straight, the distance is 40km, but it will be 60-75 kilometers. She said they may have to stop in the middle of the road. "Because the Bali-Lombok Strait can not be swum straight; you must rotate with the currents and tides, and it's dangerous," she said.

You don't have to be as extreme as Yanti.

Nicely done!

2014-08-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Janyne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-08-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Taylor starts second grade on Wednesday, so we wanted to get in one more weekend trip...except it's monsoon season. We scrapped leaving Friday and watched the weather on Saturday morning. EVERYWHERE was going to rain at some point, so we decided to test a new place near Tucson. Of course, it rained...but not a ton and we had an amazing view from our site. Oh, and Mak gave herself black eye. lol

Another nice family vacation before school starts and IMAZ training gets serious for J.  Way to go!

2014-08-04 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That sounds like just the ticket for a Manatee century :-)

in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by laffinrock

Ugh.  Meds.  Better living through chemicals - as long as they work.  I take a handful and have FINALLY gotten the cocktail right.  I hate taking all those pills but the results are totally worth it.  Hang in there.  Doing a 150 mile ride with a saddle that causes a sore rear is pretty dang impressive!!!

BTW, did you see that Lego's female scientist is now on the market?  Buy it quick so you have a real "live" one to match your avatar!

I did!!  The one in my avatar is actually my real one.  It was from one of the minifig sets. I found websites describing how to find the one I wanted and went to Toys R Us.  I got some weird looks, but I got the minifig I cared about!

I seriously need the research lab.  

in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dmgaudre I'm not a member of this group, but I've been lurking here and I just wanted to say that you guys are hilarious! I do have some pretty awesome pet pics...just saying... ;-)

Why aren't you a member of the group?  We can be bribed, you know.

2014-08-04 1:40 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Taylor starts second grade on Wednesday, so we wanted to get in one more weekend trip...except it's monsoon season. We scrapped leaving Friday and watched the weather on Saturday morning. EVERYWHERE was going to rain at some point, so we decided to test a new place near Tucson. Of course, it rained...but not a ton and we had an amazing view from our site. Oh, and Mak gave herself black eye. lol

Poor Mak!  Just wait til she starts telling people that she got the black eye from her mom!!

Yeah, Erin's whole explanantion was kind of glossed right over, wasn't it? Do you think there is more than meets the eye here (sorry)?

It sure beats "my dog jumped up on the bed and landed on my face."  Too bad that was the true story!

2014-08-04 1:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by ponderingfox

I got 3rd AG and 29th OA.  I had the first time in the AG with a mere mortal time.  The other two guys were both 2:06.

There's room to improve for next year, but I'm glad I have this one in the bag.  Such is the way of racing, no?

NICE! That was your first Oly? GREAT JOB! Yanti you are more than famous - you're INfamous!! CONGRATS! Oh and your job title is a mouthful, huh? :D Jen - when you find the perfect saddle, please let me know - OY! HAPPY MONDAY (said no one ever). Great weekend - took 2nd in my AG at the Greenfield tri - YAY (out of 4 lol). really really really wanted to sleep in today - and sorta did, at least enough to make me late(r) than usual to work. Hope all is well - and where is Janyne?! Somebody wake her up!

Congrats!

I'm here!  I'm here! I had to work on my monthly report and didn't think "rode my bike to the beach with friends" and "complete a half ironman" was what they were looking for!  Then I had to go to a stoopid staff meeting.  Oh, and write a race report.  Now I'm trying to catch up on who gave Mak a black eye!

And what's this I hear about Matt hurting himself?  What's with the training-in-Austin-results-in-Manatee-injuries?  Jonathan TX, Stay Out of Austin! 

2014-08-04 1:46 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by jmkizer

That sounds like just the ticket for a Manatee century :-)

I know, right?!  It's also a lot cheaper than the one in Richmond.  Like less than half.  More $ for wine.

User image

Denver, CO

Poor Mak!  Just wait til she starts telling people that she got the black eye from her mom!!

Yeah, Erin's whole explanantion was kind of glossed right over, wasn't it? Do you think there is more than meets the eye here (sorry)?

It sure beats "my dog jumped up on the bed and landed on my face."  Too bad that was the true story!

I have one of those stories too.  My dog broke my nose.  It's still crooked because I never got it reset.  I blame my snoring on that. Seems reasonable, right?

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dmgaudre

Originally posted by dmgaudre I'm not a member of this group, but I've been lurking here and I just wanted to say that you guys are hilarious! I do have some pretty awesome pet pics...just saying... ;-)

Tell ya what, post some pics in here and let us decide just how awesome they are...

BTW, welcome to BT. I hope that the site has been helpful to your triathlon growth.

Ok, but prepare yourself...this is some over the top awesome...

PUPPIES!   OK, I love the third (bottom) one.  Introductions please.  First then dogs, then you ;-)

2014-08-04 1:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

EEK! Another GH NUT!! WELCOME!!

We have a 5 year old girl named Bloo - total NUT JOB!!

(IMG_20140315_183215498.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140315_183215498.jpg (2478KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-04 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by dmgaudre Ok…about me… NAME: Deanna Gaudreau STORY: I don’t have much of a story. I turned 40 last month and have been feeling old for a while now. I have never been a fan of exercise, but then my goal was always to look better…never to feel better. My sister started to do triathlons about a year ago and has truly been my inspiration. So I woke up one day and said, “I’m going to do this!” I registered for my first sprint and here I am. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 11 ½ years with 3 kids and 2 dogs. My oldest is 19, and our twins are 9. My dogs, Al and Lucy, are ex-racing greyhounds. Best dogs I’ve ever had! TRAINING: I’m doing my training pretty much on my own right now. My husband is an ex-competitive swimmer (many moons ago) but he is a fantastic coach. Especially seeing as how he had to get me through putting my face in the water and not drowning. I’m a member of the Y and have been swimming and using the gym. I have yet to actually get outside and run or bike. I’m working on it… 2014 RACES: Just one. Spa Girl Sprint Triathlon, November 22 BODY COMPOSITION: 128 lbs. I don’t need to lose weight, I just need to convert my body fat to muscle mass. I’m a pretty soft 128 lbs. So that’s pretty much me. Thanks for letting me join the group! You guys are a riot!

Welcome Deanna (and Al and Lucy)!

2014-08-04 1:52 PM

User image

Yay! I love other greyhound peeps! We're "special". lol
2014-08-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

I have one of those stories too.  My dog broke my nose.  It's still crooked because I never got it reset.  I blame my snoring on that. Seems reasonable, right?

Perfectly reasonable.

So, in the staff meeting today they were talking about Google Glass and then something about an IR camera to do home energy audits blah blah blah and all the time I'm thinking about a camera that would show doggie gas.  Yes, I am one messed up individual.  Care to guess if Emma had gas when we picked her up from the sitter last night?  Yup, someone had too many treats.

2014-08-04 1:57 PM

User image

EEK! Another GH NUT!! WELCOME!!

We have a 5 year old girl named Bloo - total NUT JOB!!

OMG...and she's GORGEOUS!!!!
2014-08-04 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ, how did the race simulation go and TT go for you?

Monica, how's your ouchy bit that was hurt when you fell (knee?)?

Chris, is the hammy cooperating this week?

2014-08-04 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TJ, how did the race simulation go and TT go for you?

Monica, how's your ouchy bit that was hurt when you fell (knee?)?

Chris, is the hammy cooperating this week?

I am off the DL, thank you very much. I have 2 weeks of summer paced running (slow and EZ) scheduled, then I'll pick it up a bit from there. I NEED to get consistency back into things.

2014-08-04 2:07 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by dmgaudre Ok, but prepare yourself...this is some over the top awesome...
EEK! Another GH NUT!! WELCOME!! We have a 5 year old girl named Bloo - total NUT JOB!!

Awwwww.  What an awesome picture!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45023 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39218 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 75998 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52212 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27585 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.