BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-30 6:17 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by popsracer

So I'm trying to edit the dashboard in my training log and I'm failing.  I get a blank popup screen with "save" "cancel" at the bottom but it does not allow me to type or copy/paste.  What am I doing wrong?  Does something else need to be enabled?

Are you using IE? And are you on a work computer that is managed by Mordac, Preventor of Information Services?

I have had to do some rouge creative install and configurations on work equipment to get certain things to work.

You should be ok with rouge content Chris, I think most just try to block blue pages

2014-12-30 6:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week. What are your thoughts?

I think that is fairly typical for a beginner plan. It really is much more about frequency/consistency than that actual long run. 20 weeks is incredibly long but I imagine it is more about building up that base than anything, which I am totally on board with. 

My comments would be a little different in an advanced plan. 

thanks for the input everyone. Yes it's a beginner plan. It's 20 weeks because as of Monday next week I have:
10 weeks until the Oly I want to do;
20 weeks until the HM; and
34 weeks until the Marathon

My plan for the first 10 weeks is 2 swims, 2 rides and 3 runs a week. Then after the Oly I will reassess and maybe drop a ride and pickup another run.

Truth is that this planning stage is what I like to do, the actual training not so much and remaining consistent is a big problem for me. I've been thinking about Mary's fantastic award system she has for herself (for new Manatees check out her log) and am thinking about putting something like that in place for myself, just trying to work out what milestone and what rewards. Trying to convince myself that a new bike isn't too big a reward for making it through the January challenge without dropping a day.
2014-12-30 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Okay, let's see if I can post my bike pic:

First pic is of the bike I came down the stairs to one morning. My husband and coach snuck behind my back and built it for me. Jerks. ;) . The second pic is of the cat taking a bath while I'm doing a 2 hour trainer ride .

Edited by fortissimo 2014-12-30 7:56 PM

(bike2.jpg)

(etlilo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike2.jpg (118KB - 3 downloads)
etlilo.jpg (58KB - 3 downloads)
2014-12-30 8:38 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk alrighty - 8 pages later - this is for my own sanity. Did I miss anyone? IndoIronYanti - Yanti (love the new avatar btw) laffinrock - Mary msteiner - Matt jmkizer - Janyne amd723 - Ann-Marie mcmanusclan5 - Matt QueenZipp - Judi melbo55 - Melanie StaceyK - Stacey amy mutz - Amy Havok - Michael Neil65 - Neil ponderingfox - Tom Asalzwed - Adrienne cdban66 - Chris jmhpsu93 - Mike jet Black - sean fortissimo - Robin glfprncs - Nancy brigby1 - Ben Emer - Emily popsracer - Steve 4agoodlife - Erin rrrunner - TJ blueyedbikergirl - Monica not sure I saw the following people check in: IronOx Richardsdrr jobaxes Welcome new friends - welcome back errr old.

I believe that your list is correct.  I asked Darren and he said, "Once a Manatee..." but I'm not sure if that means he plans to be active or stalkerish.  Also, Jonathan TX and Jonathan TN but they had kind of dropped off recently so I'm thinking that's a no.

Darren said he wanted to do the challenge and his mojo has made an appearance, so I'm guessing he'll be active.  Hopefully he and his mojo come to some sort of an agreement soon.

ETA: Based on his comment above to Chris, I think it's safe to say that he's in.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-12-30 8:48 PM
2014-12-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

I made ninja shaped gingerbread (from a recipe, not the mix that came with the cutters) for my dad.  I put little belts on them and everything.  Took forever!  I was in the kitchen sorting my jimmies into different colors so that we could have a yellow belt ninja with blue eyes and a pink mouth, etc. {{shakes head}}

That's too funny!  I can just see you with a tooth pick, hunched over the counter sorting those jimmies to make little ninja mosaics.  Have to admit, though, that sounds like something I'd do.  Luckily, I generally steer clear of the kitchen, but unluckily, I manage to find other equally impractical and time-consuming things to do.

Monica, do you really want black-iced cookies (assuming you'd want to ice the ninjas black to be all accurate and stuff)?  Admittedly they'd be great for Halloween, especially because of the way they'd turn your teeth black!

2014-12-30 10:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

I made ninja shaped gingerbread (from a recipe, not the mix that came with the cutters) for my dad.  I put little belts on them and everything.  Took forever!  I was in the kitchen sorting my jimmies into different colors so that we could have a yellow belt ninja with blue eyes and a pink mouth, etc. {{shakes head}}

That's too funny!  I can just see you with a tooth pick, hunched over the counter sorting those jimmies to make little ninja mosaics.  Have to admit, though, that sounds like something I'd do.  Luckily, I generally steer clear of the kitchen, but unluckily, I manage to find other equally impractical and time-consuming things to do.

Monica, do you really want black-iced cookies (assuming you'd want to ice the ninjas black to be all accurate and stuff)?  Admittedly they'd be great for Halloween, especially because of the way they'd turn your teeth black!

With Monica's self-purported kitchen skills, she wouldn't need black icing.

We made it home!...to a house that absolutely reeked. Downside to being a vegetarian? Not thinking to throw out the meat before a long trip. So so so gross! It's finally not assaulting my nose.

Quite happy to be back in the land of sunshine and 60* weather. Hopefully out with the kids tomorrow and a ride on Friday.

Race decisions on hold until we find out more on job stuff with J. Holidays are a cruddy time to be waiting around to hear from people on interviews.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-12-30 10:09 PM

2014-12-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

thanks for the input everyone. Yes it's a beginner plan. It's 20 weeks because as of Monday next week I have: 10 weeks until the Oly I want to do; 20 weeks until the HM; and 34 weeks until the Marathon My plan for the first 10 weeks is 2 swims, 2 rides and 3 runs a week. Then after the Oly I will reassess and maybe drop a ride and pickup another run. Truth is that this planning stage is what I like to do, the actual training not so much and remaining consistent is a big problem for me. I've been thinking about Mary's fantastic award system she has for herself (for new Manatees check out her log) and am thinking about putting something like that in place for myself, just trying to work out what milestone and what rewards. Trying to convince myself that a new bike isn't too big a reward for making it through the January challenge without dropping a day.

What if you have a couple different rewards depending on how many days you achieve?  That way if you miss a day early in the month, you'll have a reason to keep trying.  The bike could be the grand prize if you manage all 31 days but you'll still earn something if you, say, meet your 30-min. goal 21 out of 31 days.

Consistency was really hard for me before I started tri training.  I had this concept of myself as not consistent, which I had always reinforced--by not being consistent.  I inadvertently conquered it by not focusing on it.  At the beginning, my rewards to myself were all based on meeting specific distance goals.  Not really sure why I did it that way, but one good thing was that at least I didn't have to keep starting over if I "messed up."  Over time, the rewards have gotten less important.  As an added benefit, I've proven to myself that I'm not inherently inconsistent and I CAN consistently train. 

That being said, I just recently set a new goal, and this one's consistency-based.  As I mentioned in our previous thread, I was having a heck of a time doing 2 strength workouts per week as assigned by my coach.  They're to strengthen some muscle imbalance between my repaired hip and my intact one, as well as to build core strength, and they're pretty key if I want to improve and get/stay healthy.  My new goal is to do all assigned strength workouts for 4 weeks and the reward is a better foam roller.  After succeeding for 1 week (and with some HTFU and encouragement from the Pod), I feel pretty confident that I can keep going.  Maybe approaching training this way "shouldn't" be necessary or doesn't make sense to some people, but it works for me so I'll keep in in my toolbox of tricks.

2014-12-30 11:03 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week. What are your thoughts?

I think that is fairly typical for a beginner plan. It really is much more about frequency/consistency than that actual long run. 20 weeks is incredibly long but I imagine it is more about building up that base than anything, which I am totally on board with. 

My comments would be a little different in an advanced plan. 

thanks for the input everyone. Yes it's a beginner plan. It's 20 weeks because as of Monday next week I have: 10 weeks until the Oly I want to do; 20 weeks until the HM; and 34 weeks until the Marathon My plan for the first 10 weeks is 2 swims, 2 rides and 3 runs a week. Then after the Oly I will reassess and maybe drop a ride and pickup another run. Truth is that this planning stage is what I like to do, the actual training not so much and remaining consistent is a big problem for me. I've been thinking about Mary's fantastic award system she has for herself (for new Manatees check out her log) and am thinking about putting something like that in place for myself, just trying to work out what milestone and what rewards. Trying to convince myself that a new bike isn't too big a reward for making it through the January challenge without dropping a day.

How much running are you looking at in the various parts? That was acknowledged, but never really answered. 3-4x a week is still a frequency, but not a volume.

Agree with the others on not being overly focused on the long run, looking more at getting in a good run program. Especially while building into the Oly. Think a little about this, I ran past 10 miles a couple days ago for the first time in like a year & a half. I've also been hitting 45-50 miles a week a number of times the past couple months, so if I ran a HM fairly soon, do you think I'd have much trouble finishing according to the goals you have set? I don't think you need to run that much volume to do it, but is the difference more apparent? 

2014-12-31 12:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Thank you my friend for the book that arrived in the mail today "Slow Fat Triathlete". Loving it and have got no house work done...but who cares.

I never knew this though "bike shorts, helmets, wetsuits and goggles look dorky on everyone, especially if you wear them all at the same time."

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1925KB - 5 downloads)
2014-12-31 3:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Elite
WTF page 9

Jojo here joho the stalker renowned on the pro circuit but a lousy triathlete

Thinking about a comeback Challenge Phuket- Macca is funding me one trip this could be the one lol

Currently in Phuket vacation though running and swimming a lot.

Promise to drop by frequently
Xx
2014-12-31 4:26 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Another icy morning here in the UK, went to the gym at 7am and worked on my back, lots of stretching and work with the swiss ball, eased it. Right latte and a cake time as I wind down 2014, been a mixed year, and blast into 2015 which will see me hit 50 and have a mid life crisis and complete my first 70.3! x

2014-12-31 5:51 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Neil65

Another icy morning here in the UK, went to the gym at 7am and worked on my back, lots of stretching and work with the swiss ball, eased it. Right latte and a cake time as I wind down 2014, been a mixed year, and blast into 2015 which will see me hit 50 and have a mid life crisis and complete my first 70.3! x

Hi Neil.
What part of England are you from?
Which 70.3 are you lined up for?

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-12-31 6:07 AM
2014-12-31 6:28 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Thank you my friend for the book that arrived in the mail today "Slow Fat Triathlete". Loving it and have got no house work done...but who cares. I never knew this though "bike shorts, helmets, wetsuits and goggles look dorky on everyone, especially if you wear them all at the same time."

Jayne is a friend of mine and an extraordinary lady. That book, as hysterically funny and practical and personal as it is, is just a tiny slice of who she is and what she does.

By the way, the shorts-helmet-wetsuits-goggles look ALL AT ONCE has been done--and not by me! Can't remember which race it was, a 70.3, weather turned bitter and cold very quickly so it was shortened to a sprint distance. The pros simply did the whole race in their wetties for warmth and time saving! There are great pics of this!

2014-12-31 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Hi Manatees!!!

I know it's been way too long. I've had a lot of crazy stuff going on in my life. Y'all know about my new baby girl at the end of Sept (she's doing awesome by the way) well I also decided that after 10 years working at my family business I would split off and start my own business. Lots of thought and prayer went in to that decision but its been a good one. I've had so much going on with that over the last few months trying to get everything ready for the official start Jan 1, 2015. Also I've struggled with my hamstring so I've taken the last few months of from run/bike/swim in order to heal. Lots of therapy and some dry needle and I think I'm about 70% recovered.

This is my first week back. I've joined a Tri Team for 2015 "Cobb Mobb" and have some race plans for the upcoming season. I'm about 15 pounds over race weight so I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the Christmas cards from my long time Manatee friends. Certainly put a smile on my face. Hope everyone is doing well, I'm back!
2014-12-31 7:33 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by Neil65

Hi Neil.
What part of England are you from?
Which 70.3 are you lined up for?

Hi mate, I live in Hull and am doing the new 70.3 at Stafford in June, one of the 'lucky' ones who managed to enter. Good to meet you, how's Wales?
2014-12-31 7:50 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So I'm trying to edit the dashboard in my training log and I'm failing.  I get a blank popup screen with "save" "cancel" at the bottom but it does not allow me to type or copy/paste.  What am I doing wrong?  Does something else need to be enabled?

Are you using IE? And are you on a work computer that is managed by Mordac, Preventor of Information Services?

I have had to do some rouge creative install and configurations on work equipment to get certain things to work.

I don't know what IE or Mordac are but I am on a work computer.  Maybe I'll just wait until I get home and try there.  I suspect that you are correct and there is something here that is preventing me from utilizing my time well.

Sorry, I went into work mode for a bit. IE is Internet Explorer. Mordac is a Dilbert character, generally the reason that computers don't work correctly. Where I work they have tightened everything down in the name of security, sometimes to the point of breaking how stuff works. So, the IT guys are refered to as Mordac on occasions.

2014-12-31 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Boooooom, just crossed 3,000 miles run this year. Just in time, too! And no, I didn't really plan that!

Beast Mode!

2014-12-31 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

How many races is TOO many races?  I'm considering a six-race Oly series (of which I'll prob do five), as well as three or four Wednesday night short course races during the same time period.  I really love racing.

I'd say the A race, if any would be the last Oly.

(My spring A race is on the wedding day of a friend of mine.  She's getting married at 2 pm, the race is 4.5 hours away in Lansing, and I'm not sure of the start time.  Not sure if I can make it back in time.  That's a bummer, because I really like that sprint, and was hoping to improve on a top 10% finish last year.)

What are the downsides to a schedule like this, or does the ability to race a ton override that?

2014-12-31 8:09 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Boooooom, just crossed 3,000 miles run this year. Just in time, too! And no, I didn't really plan that!

Beast Mode!

3000 miles?

That's it?

Wait ... THAT WASN'T ON A MOTORCYCLE?!

Hot damn, Salty. Hot damn

2014-12-31 8:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

INFO FOR NEW MANATEES...

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs. Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Please be active! Inactive Manatees make us sad!

OK, since Jonathan rolled in I have updated my table of Manatees. Be forewarned, I do have a few other friends on there as well, so you may not want the whole thing. If you have any "how to" questions with BT or your logs, please feel free to ask. Janyne and Yanti and a few others know their way around BT really well. 

2014-12-31 8:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK Thank you my friend for the book that arrived in the mail today "Slow Fat Triathlete". Loving it and have got no house work done...but who cares. I never knew this though "bike shorts, helmets, wetsuits and goggles look dorky on everyone, especially if you wear them all at the same time."

Jayne is a friend of mine and an extraordinary lady. That book, as hysterically funny and practical and personal as it is, is just a tiny slice of who she is and what she does.

By the way, the shorts-helmet-wetsuits-goggles look ALL AT ONCE has been done--and not by me! Can't remember which race it was, a 70.3, weather turned bitter and cold very quickly so it was shortened to a sprint distance. The pros simply did the whole race in their wetties for warmth and time saving! There are great pics of this!

Over here it was done at Boise 70.3. Mostly it was the bike that was cut down to like 15 miles or so as they had some snow at the high points. Made for a very odd distance tri. Matty Reed and Trevor Wurtele left their wetsuits on for the bike, but took them off for the run. I think a few women may have done this at another one as well, but Boise stands out as Matty tied at the line with another guy and there was some debate in how to handle it.

2014-12-31 8:50 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

How many races is TOO many races?  I'm considering a six-race Oly series (of which I'll prob do five), as well as three or four Wednesday night short course races during the same time period.  I really love racing.

I'd say the A race, if any would be the last Oly.

(My spring A race is on the wedding day of a friend of mine.  She's getting married at 2 pm, the race is 4.5 hours away in Lansing, and I'm not sure of the start time.  Not sure if I can make it back in time.  That's a bummer, because I really like that sprint, and was hoping to improve on a top 10% finish last year.)

What are the downsides to a schedule like this, or does the ability to race a ton override that?

The races all have at least a couple weeks in between, so the risk is more in mental burn-out as opposed to a physical issue. I've done better bunching a few together and then having a nice break between, but you really like racing, so could be fine. With that many races, I would set the training up so that the hard workouts are about the same day as the races. Probably a mid-week and weekend setup there. Then for a race week the race would swap in for the hard workout. You wouldn't really taper in for each of them every time, but just really be ready for a hard workout.

2014-12-31 8:51 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yet again shoring up your position as my running hero (serioiusly!).  Excellent work, my friend!

2014-12-31 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome back Jojo and JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on in! The water's warm

2014-12-31 9:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Over here it was done at Boise 70.3. Mostly it was the bike that was cut down to like 15 miles or so as they had some snow at the high points. Made for a very odd distance tri. Matty Reed and Trevor Wurtele left their wetsuits on for the bike, but took them off for the run. I think a few women may have done this at another one as well, but Boise stands out as Matty tied at the line with another guy and there was some debate in how to handle it.

The final IM St George was so cold that many of the athletes wore their wetsuits on the bike.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.