Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-14 8:11 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Dressing for cold weather runs is a bit of an art form I think.  I find it best to dress so that I start out cold (ie. underdressed) with the goal that after 5-10 mins of running I will be just right.  Suck it up for those first few minutes and then I'm good to go from there.

2015-01-14 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy Happy Birthday, Arend! That sounds like the PERFECT workout to really get your first bout of shoulder tendinosis started off with a bang! :^)

I can feel the creaking and seizing of the joints already.

2015-01-14 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Nah, Nicole, it's not just you - I also find that temp range tough to dress for as well, and I have all kinds of clothes. I much prefer low-to-mid 50s or low-to mid 30s to temps in the middle when both running and cycling. I tend to over or underdress in the temps between those ranges as well.

I dress by looking at the temp in 10deg C increments
I always start off underdressed but am usually OK after 5-10min

2015-01-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by marcag

ha-ha, yesterday was my first day back at work and in meetings all day. Perfect timing as my email blew up with SBRU emails all day!

On your question of running in cold temperature I track my running efficiency (kind of unscientific) but basically my pace/hr relationship. What I see is as I am training consistently, my efficiency improves. Very clear in my my numbers Right now, I am in the middle of a pretty good running streak. Yesterday morning I ran and it was -26F. I only wore a cap and actually froze one ear. Very painful night last night as I would turn my head on the frost bitten ear and wake up in pain. Anyways.... I recorded one of the best "running economies" during the run. Maybe my heart was just frozen as well. But for me, running in the cold, even at extremes is better than in heat.

Okay, we all know I'm a baby about the cold, but that kind of temperature is insane!!

We've had some cool weather here (30's and 40's, so yeah, nowhere near -26F) and I find that since we don't get that kind of weather often, I have no idea what to wear.  I tend to overdress, sweat, and then freeze....or like yesterday, underdress and freeze the entire time. 

After the race this weekend, I'd like to put in an order for some warmer weather.  I could tolerate what Jason has

Just think, your cold runs are about half-way between Marc's run and a summers day 95.

In uncertain temperatures, I'll try to make sure that some adjustability is build into what I'm wearing. Like zippers. Sleeves that can roll easily and will stay in place. Maybe gloves that I can stow easily. Similar with a hat, or maybe a hood. The comfort level can change a lot when moving in and out of the wind too so I try to be ready for that.

2015-01-14 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by axteraa

I turned 40 today.  

Happy Birthday Arend.   I turned 54 today

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-14 8:32 AM
2015-01-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Good Lord Jim - did you wake up this morning to find your knees had turned into a fine, powdery dust? Oh, and don't tell Arend about the ear hair thing - let Tab point that out to him tonight when she gets home from work.

2015-01-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I think what I run in to with the middle temps on the run is really the warm up. I do a 15 minute walking/dynamic stretching warm up before every run, then 20 minutes or so of very easy running before doing whatever the actual workout calls for. That first 15 minutes can get really chilly and takes a lot longer to warm up after. So I will often loop back by the house or car and drop clothes before I start running. When it is really cold I swap the walking and dynamic stretching for 20 minutes on the bike indoors before heading out the door for my 20 minutes of running warm up. That works for me as well. 

2015-01-14 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

I turned 40 today.  

Happy birthday to you too!  Two of my co-workers also have birthdays today - clearly it's an important date on the calendar.

2015-01-14 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I think what I run in to with the middle temps on the run is really the warm up. I do a 15 minute walking/dynamic stretching warm up before every run, then 20 minutes or so of very easy running before doing whatever the actual workout calls for. That first 15 minutes can get really chilly and takes a lot longer to warm up after. So I will often loop back by the house or car and drop clothes before I start running. When it is really cold I swap the walking and dynamic stretching for 20 minutes on the bike indoors before heading out the door for my 20 minutes of running warm up. That works for me as well. 

Ah yes, that would certainly do it.  Me, I go outside, wait for the watch to beep and I'm off!  In fact I bought the Forerunner 220 specifically because it has the fast GPS lock feature so I wouldn't have to stand around in the cold waiting.  My old watch wouldn't lock on anywhere inside my building at work so I had to shiver on the street corner waiting.

2015-01-14 8:52 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Me, I go outside, wait for the watch to beep and I'm off!

Yeah, I used to do that too.

You know, back when I was young.

2015-01-14 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Me, I go outside, wait for the watch to beep and I'm off!

Yeah, I used to do that too.

You know, back when I was young.

I have much to learn

2015-01-14 8:58 AM

User image

Pro

I turned 40 today.  

Happy birthday to you too!  Two of my co-workers also have birthdays today - clearly it's an important date on the calendar.

What are the chances...2 of my co-workers (one is my supervisor) also have birthday today.

2015-01-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

Hopefully more will join now

ha-ha, yesterday was my first day back at work and in meetings all day. Perfect timing as my email blew up with SBRU emails all day!

On your question of running in cold temperature

I track my running efficiency (kind of unscientific) but basically my pace/hr relationship.
What I see is as I am training consistently, my efficiency improves. Very clear in my my numbers

Right now, I am in the middle of a pretty good running streak. Yesterday morning I ran and it was -26F. I only wore a cap and actually froze one ear. Very painful night last night as I would turn my head on the frost bitten ear and wake up in pain. Anyways....

I recorded one of the best "running economies" during the run. Maybe my heart was just frozen as well.

But for me, running in the cold, even at extremes is better than in heat.

Marc

I wear a Balaclava from upper 30's F. I have 2 one is tighter and one is loose. At higher 30's I wear the loose so I can pull it down if I get to hot. -26 is serious cold and exposed skin can be damaged. A temp like that I will wear even a face mask and 3 layers on top and depending on how windy 3 layers all around. My layers are base with or without wind block, thermal and wind.

I also think your running efficiency is a results are the body's remarkable adaptive skills.

2015-01-14 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I turned 40 today.  Shane gave me a birthday swim set of 40 x 50 as 8 x (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free, 50 kick).  That was fun, haven't done that much non free in quite a while!  

Happy Birthday Arend!

What a great present to give yourself complements of your coach.
2015-01-14 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Okay, we all know I'm a baby about the cold, but that kind of temperature is insane!!

We've had some cool weather here (30's and 40's, so yeah, nowhere near -26F) and I find that since we don't get that kind of weather often, I have no idea what to wear.  I tend to overdress, sweat, and then freeze....or like yesterday, underdress and freeze the entire time. 

After the race this weekend, I'd like to put in an order for some warmer weather.  I could tolerate what Jason has

Nicole we all know to dress in layers. It's what kind of layers is the question. Breathable base works best for me. Its may have a wind barrier front depending how cold or windy. Thermal layer next not cotton with breathe ability. Top layer is usual a good wind barrier but then again how cold or windy. Most runs to the single digits I can get by with two layers. Another key is zippers that I can open to vent or is temps warm.

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-14 9:41 AM
2015-01-14 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Nah, Nicole, it's not just you - I also find that temp range tough to dress for as well, and I have all kinds of clothes. I much prefer low-to-mid 50s or low-to mid 30s to temps in the middle when both running and cycling. I tend to over or underdress in the temps between those ranges as well.

I dress by looking at the temp in 10deg C increments
I always start off underdressed but am usually OK after 5-10min

Zippers open first, then head gear comes off and followed by gloves. Very rarely do I have to take off a upper garment.

2015-01-14 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

On your question of running in cold temperature I track my running efficiency (kind of unscientific) but basically my pace/hr relationship. What I see is as I am training consistently, my efficiency improves. Very clear in my my numbers Right now, I am in the middle of a pretty good running streak. Yesterday morning I ran and it was -26F. I only wore a cap and actually froze one ear. Very painful night last night as I would turn my head on the frost bitten ear and wake up in pain. Anyways.... I recorded one of the best "running economies" during the run. Maybe my heart was just frozen as well. But for me, running in the cold, even at extremes is better than in heat.

Just think, your cold runs are about half-way between Marc's run and a summers day 95.

In uncertain temperatures, I'll try to make sure that some adjustability is build into what I'm wearing. Like zippers. Sleeves that can roll easily and will stay in place. Maybe gloves that I can stow easily. Similar with a hat, or maybe a hood. The comfort level can change a lot when moving in and out of the wind too so I try to be ready for that.

Excellent advice! Almost like I said so myself........

2015-01-14 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I turned 40 today.  

Happy Birthday Jim!

Do you feel old? I only feel it after a hard day of training and before coffee......
2015-01-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrotherTri

I turned 40 today.  

Happy Birthday Jim! Do you feel old? I only feel it after a hard day of training and before coffee......

Who says 54 is "old" ?  My grandfather is 95...now that's old.

2015-01-14 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by BrotherTri

I turned 40 today.  

Happy Birthday Jim! Do you feel old? I only feel it after a hard day of training and before coffee......

Who says 54 is "old" ?  My grandfather is 95...now that's old.

That's true, and God bless him!
2015-01-14 9:51 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Funny story (to me at least).  I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that my Dad (who is 74) is in North Carolina for the winter and was posting his bike rides on Strava.  Well, on the weekend he had a 66 km ride posted and I asked him if he went tip to tip on the island/peninsula he was on if he would get to 100k.  His response what that that was his original plan for the day but his legs were tired because he had pushed to hard earlier in the ride during one of the longer Strava segments.    

Strava sucks in everyone!

2015-01-14 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I turned 40 today.  

What are the chances...2 of my co-workers (one is my supervisor) also have birthday today.

Happy birthday Jim !!!
2015-01-14 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Spring and fall run races here can start off really cold and end warm.

Best thing is to dress in layers with old crappy clothes on the top that you discard as the race goes on. In Toronto and the HIM, they actually collect all the clothes dumped by runners and give them to the homeless.

Just make sure you don't have an over zealous RD that will DQ you for abandoning equipment.

2015-01-14 12:19 PM

User image

Seattle

I run in shorts year round for the most part. Winter temps here are between the low 20s and 40s for the most part. Obviously your legs warm up quick as they are the muscles being used.

I layer more on my core depending on the actual temp and if there is wind or sun. 

The easiest thing for moderating are accessories like thin gloves, a hat (or toque for team Canada) and maybe arm warmers. So long as you can tuck them in your pocket or whatever. If it's on that lower end, a vest is nice with a thinner long sleeve under. As you get warmer you can roll up the sleeves if need be. 

Most important is to delayer BEFORE you start to sweat. 

Heh, example: 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-14 12:21 PM
2015-01-14 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I think my biggest issue for dressing for the colder weather is my head....when I wear a beanie, I sweat, and then eventually my head gets really cold.  Unfortunately for me, I have hair that's long enough to be in the way if I don't have something on my head, and too short to actually pull back -- so I have to commit to a hat or a beanie before I leave.  I'm quickly learning that it's hat weather down into the low-30's.

The other stuff -- breathe-able layers, zippers, etc. all seem to be non-issues for me.  And for any run that's not just easy, I'd much rather start out cold and warm up throughout....for easy runs, I tend not to build up too much body heat, with the exception of my head.  I'm apparently a mental case when it comes to all aspects of running

Racing this weekend -- weather looks to be about ideal, in the high-40's to low-50's with no rain (a bit of wind, but nothing excessive).  Probably won't even have to worry about ditching clothes or anything, though a long-sleeved shirt might feel nice for the w/u since they offer a bag drop right before race start. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).