Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-02-12 5:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Happy Feb 12th!

I hope everyone had a great weekend filled with some sort of movement!

Swim, bike and run for me!
I also attended a fundraiser dinner for my neighbor who is doing a charity slot for the London Marathon in April.
Last night we celebrated Valentine's Day at a nice local Italian restaurant.

Weather was rainy and windy this weekend!

Leanne

2023-02-13 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh Whats anyone doing this weekend?

I get to be the 1:40 pacer at the Katy, TX Half Marathon on Saturday. 

Yes, the Pacing gig was pretty unorganized.  There were no pacer shirts, no pre-race pacer meetings, no instructions what-so-ever for the what we were supposed to be doing.   

I learned 4 minutes before the race that there was a 2nd 1:40:00 pacer.  So we didn't have a lot of time to plan how to work together.  At the 1-mile marker I was about 10 seconds ahead of pace and 10 seconds behind the other pacer and mile 2 I was about 15 seconds ahead and 15 seconds behind the other pacer. Mile 3 I was about 20 seconds ahead and at mile 4 I was about 30 seconds ahead and still 10-20 seconds behind the other pacer.  So I decided to put the breaks on and run my own pacing plan.  Over the following 8 miles I averaged 7:39 pace (one second over the planned pace) hitting 6 of those miles exactly at 7:39 min/mi.  I was still about 15 seconds ahead at the mile 12 marker so I eased up for the last 1.1 miles.  The course was .05 long and so I got a 7:37 GPS pace (one second under) and a total race time that was 10 seconds over.  I guess I needed to be 2 seconds under the GPS pace.  I always look at total run time at the mile markers to determine if I am on pace and don't look at the GPS data to determine if I am on pace but the GPS confirms that I was evert even paced and pretty close to what people were looking for.  The other pacer finished 40 seconds ahead of me.  When people caught me on the course I would them that I was bringing up the back of the pack at 1:40:00 and that the other pace was leading the pack at 1:39:30 and to just stick between us.  That is about exactly where we ended up, so despite the inorganization we were pretty good at improv.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-02-13 10:45 AM
2023-02-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Yes, the Pacing gig was pretty unorganized.  There were no pacer shirts, no pre-race pacer meetings, no instructions what-so-ever for the what we were supposed to be doing.   

I learned 4 minutes before the race that there was a 2nd 1:40:00 pacer.  So we didn't have a lot of time to plan how to work together.  At the 1-mile marker I was about 10 seconds ahead of pace and 10 seconds behind the other pacer and mile 2 I was about 15 seconds ahead and 15 seconds behind the other pacer. Mile 3 I was about 20 seconds ahead and at mile 4 I was about 30 seconds ahead and still 10-20 seconds behind the other pacer.  So I decided to put the breaks on and run my own pacing plan.  Over the following 8 miles I averaged 7:39 pace (one second over the planned pace) hitting 6 of those miles exactly at 7:39 min/mi.  I was still about 15 seconds ahead at the mile 12 marker so I eased up for the last 1.1 miles.  The course was .05 long and so I got a 7:37 GPS pace (one second under) and a total race time that was 10 seconds over.  I guess I needed to be 2 seconds under the GPS pace.  I always look at total run time at the mile markers to determine if I am on pace and don't look at the GPS data to determine if I am on pace but the GPS confirms that I was evert even paced and pretty close to what people were looking for.  The other pacer finished 40 seconds ahead of me.  When people caught me on the course I would them that I was bringing up the back of the pack at 1:40:00 and that the other pace was leading the pack at 1:39:30 and to just stick between us.  That is about exactly where we ended up, so despite the inorganization we were pretty good at improv.  

Nice job with the pacing. Sorry about the lack of pacer support, though. That saddens me. I love a race with good pacers!

2023-02-13 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nice job with the pacing. Sorry about the lack of pacer support, though. That saddens me. I love a race with good pacers!

It sounds like you were a great pacer despite the disorganization. Congrats!

2023-02-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Happy Feb 12th! I hope everyone had a great weekend filled with some sort of movement! Swim, bike and run for me! I also attended a fundraiser dinner for my neighbor who is doing a charity slot for the London Marathon in April. Last night we celebrated Valentine's Day at a nice local Italian restaurant. Weather was rainy and windy this weekend! Leanne

Ugly Saturday weather, nice (but windy) Sunday weather for me. I was able to run Saturday, so I am declaring myself healed after 7-8 weeks of injury. I also swam a little Saturday. I'm trying to be conservative with my come back, so may hold off trying to do a little cycling til next week after I see how a few more runs treat me.

Which leads me to my race news - I transferred from Choo to Augusta. Since my training is basically 0 it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm not 100% sold on Augusta, but only getting 25% refund had i just canceled seemed silly.

2023-02-13 1:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Happy Feb 12th! I hope everyone had a great weekend filled with some sort of movement! Swim, bike and run for me! I also attended a fundraiser dinner for my neighbor who is doing a charity slot for the London Marathon in April. Last night we celebrated Valentine's Day at a nice local Italian restaurant. Weather was rainy and windy this weekend! Leanne

Ugly Saturday weather, nice (but windy) Sunday weather for me. I was able to run Saturday, so I am declaring myself healed after 7-8 weeks of injury. I also swam a little Saturday. I'm trying to be conservative with my come back, so may hold off trying to do a little cycling til next week after I see how a few more runs treat me.

Which leads me to my race news - I transferred from Choo to Augusta. Since my training is basically 0 it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I'm not 100% sold on Augusta, but only getting 25% refund had i just canceled seemed silly.

I'm glad that you are healing up. Gotta ask, did you toss out those On Clouds? 

I'm glad that you were able to transfer.  You'll do fine with Augusta -- still a downriver swim and hilly bike. The run will be hot bit you have access to heat training and it's not like either of us have ever been to Chattanooga when the weather was not hot so... 

2023-02-13 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm glad that you are healing up. Gotta ask, did you toss out those On Clouds? 

I'm glad that you were able to transfer.  You'll do fine with Augusta -- still a downriver swim and hilly bike. The run will be hot bit you have access to heat training and it's not like either of us have ever been to Chattanooga when the weather was not hot so... 

Yeah, I chose Augusta b/c it is so similar to Choo on the swim and bike, but with a nice flat run. I think the main difference in the run weather will be the humidity. I know people claim Choo was/is humid, but those people don't know what humid is! I am pretty sure the people in Augusta do though, so it will be very familiar to me.

I have not thrown out the On Clouds b/c it seems like such a waste! So, when i get around to it I will donate them.

2023-02-13 2:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hooray on declaring yourself healed, hopefully you genuinely are!

2023-02-13 2:46 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad you made the most of the disorganization of the pacing gig and did your best to provide an accurate pace.  I think that would be a stressful task!

2023-02-14 4:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Happy Valentines Day, Manatees!
2023-02-14 6:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh my gosh, Jim! I hope that everyone is OK. I'm sure shaken up at least. I know that you have someone at MSU.  How scary!

2023-02-14 6:04 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Happy Valentines Day, Manatees!

Happy Valentine's Day!

2023-02-14 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh my gosh, Jim! I hope that everyone is OK. I'm sure shaken up at least. I know that you have someone at MSU.  How scary!

This is horrible but all too common. Jim, I hope all is well with your family. 

2023-02-14 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, happy Valentine's Day to all. If you use Garmin and workout today you will get a nice Valentine's badge. It's nice to know that Garmin thinks I'm swell!

2023-02-14 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, happy Valentine's Day to all. If you use Garmin and workout today you will get a nice Valentine's badge. It's nice to know that Garmin thinks I'm swell!

Well, poo! I Zwifted today and that won't count! Now I need to do something else

2023-02-14 9:49 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Yeah....7-8 weeks a lot of time for an injury.  I am sure you are glad to be back.  Yes...that it easy.  Don't go and do all-out 400m repeats like I did a few months ago after coming back from time off This just earned my another month of time off.  Build back up first.

2023-02-14 10:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

While I am sad to not get to meet you in May I think you made a smart choice. Have your done Augusta? I have, it's was a speedy swim so maybe it'll be a great race for you!
2023-02-14 5:59 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Yeah....7-8 weeks a lot of time for an injury.  I am sure you are glad to be back.  Yes...that it easy.  Don't go and do all-out 400m repeats like I did a few months ago after coming back from time off This just earned my another month of time off.  Build back up first.

+1
Take your time with a nice recovery!
2023-02-14 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001

While I am sad to not get to meet you in May I think you made a smart choice. Have your done Augusta? I have, it's was a speedy swim so maybe it'll be a great race for you!

I have not done Augusta, but hear good things from friends who have. The fast swim is a big reason I chose it! 

2023-02-15 10:04 AM

User image

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Who knew retired life would be so busy!

I'm supposed to do a swim today, but it's 12 degrees, snowing, and very windy and I'm dreading the cold pool. So I did what every dedicated triathlete would do - I had Alexa flip a coin to see if I should do my swim or switch days around and do tomorrow's bike instead.

The bike won. I am supposed to do an OTB run after but will substitute shoveling the driveway instead.

I'll come back later to catch up and do my bio.
2023-02-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Who knew retired life would be so busy! I'm supposed to do a swim today, but it's 12 degrees, snowing, and very windy and I'm dreading the cold pool. So I did what every dedicated triathlete would do - I had Alexa flip a coin to see if I should do my swim or switch days around and do tomorrow's bike instead. The bike won. I am supposed to do an OTB run after but will substitute shoveling the driveway instead. I'll come back later to catch up and do my bio.
Thankfully Alexa chose wisely!

2023-02-15 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Who knew retired life would be so busy! I'm supposed to do a swim today, but it's 12 degrees, snowing, and very windy and I'm dreading the cold pool. So I did what every dedicated triathlete would do - I had Alexa flip a coin to see if I should do my swim or switch days around and do tomorrow's bike instead. The bike won. I am supposed to do an OTB run after but will substitute shoveling the driveway instead. I'll come back later to catch up and do my bio.

I would have added a 3d choice -sleeping in! 

2023-02-15 8:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Who knew retired life would be so busy!

I'm supposed to do a swim today, but it's 12 degrees, snowing, and very windy and I'm dreading the cold pool. So I did what every dedicated triathlete would do - I had Alexa flip a coin to see if I should do my swim or switch days around and do tomorrow's bike instead.

The bike won. I am supposed to do an OTB run after but will substitute shoveling the driveway instead.

I'll come back later to catch up and do my bio.

I had a similar dilemma today! It was supposed to be a swimming day for me (and my son), but the side roads in my neighborhood are not being snoplowed. It was snowing alllllll day and my car does not have winter tires yet. We live on a bit of an uphill and I worried that even if I make it out of my driveway, i may have a hard time coming back. Plus I absolutely hate driving when it's snowing - mostly because I hate being surrounded with drivers who either have no idea what they are doing or think they are the masters of Nascar...
I was thinking of running too... but it was wayyy too much snow and I thought it would be misereble. I ended up staying cozy at home and did some rope jumping. Tomorrow is the day
2023-02-16 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just saw this and thought that I would share:

Super League Triathlon (SLT) has continued its rapid expansion plans by acquiring the iconic New York and Chicago Triathlons.
The acquisition of two additional major city triathlons provides SLT with a stable of mass participation events in the USA, which also includes Malibu Triathlon. SLT acquired the New York and Chicago events from Life Time, Inc., which will continue to produce the two events this year.

I find this to be interesting because it seems to signal Life Time exiting triathlon. Are they going all in on gravel/mtb instead?  It looks like these were the only to triathlons that they had left.

With Leadville, Big Sugar, Silver Rush, Crusher in the Tusher, Tahoe, Unbound, and Sea Otter in their cycling quiver, it seems that way.

2023-02-16 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I just saw this and thought that I would share:

Super League Triathlon (SLT) has continued its rapid expansion plans by acquiring the iconic New York and Chicago Triathlons.
The acquisition of two additional major city triathlons provides SLT with a stable of mass participation events in the USA, which also includes Malibu Triathlon. SLT acquired the New York and Chicago events from Life Time, Inc., which will continue to produce the two events this year.

I find this to be interesting because it seems to signal Life Time exiting triathlon. Are they going all in on gravel/mtb instead?  It looks like these were the only to triathlons that they had left.

With Leadville, Big Sugar, Silver Rush, Crusher in the Tusher, Tahoe, Unbound, and Sea Otter in their cycling quiver, it seems that way.

I am not familiar with Life Time events, but see by its web site its only presence in Florida is in Miami for a few run events. As far as them exiting triathlon and moving more toward gravel that's probably a smart move. Gravel seems to be on the rise and triathlon waning. And, just my speculation, it's probably less expensive to put on a gravel event v triathlon.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33