BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

I can't imagine the mess this could make at races!

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

That's what I thought too. And how many different frequencies could they have. Drones will be latching on to the wrong runner. Mayhem!

Hoping it doesn't really catch on. Right now the 20 minutes will really limit it's use as it's only 5k or less for faster runners, but that will likely increase in the future.

How many runners would want to do this regularly anyway?  Do a lot of people use GoPros to record their runs now?  Seems like just another way to sell drones.

Yes, I've seen people run with the GoPro chest harness things.  Once was at RnR Vegas.  I'm sure that she got lots of (ette) shots and not much of The Strip.

gopro chest harness

2015-05-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Did you all see this?    Not crazy about the idea of my feet on IG but if it's for the kids...

+1 on the feeling, but....

Ok, that's awesome. Hadn't seen, so thanks for sharing! I'll even make J do his

2015-05-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

I'm waiting for 90 minutes+ so I can use it for safety on a bike ride. Imagine that following you as you ride. There was one at the beginning of the HM I did in Feb, but it was controlled by the race folks. They posted the video of the start and it was pretty neat to see.

2015-05-13 11:04 AM

User image

Denver, CO

That's what I thought too. And how many different frequencies could they have. Drones will be latching on to the wrong runner. Mayhem!

Hoping it doesn't really catch on. Right now the 20 minutes will really limit it's use as it's only 5k or less for faster runners, but that will likely increase in the future.

How many runners would want to do this regularly anyway?  Do a lot of people use GoPros to record their runs now?  Seems like just another way to sell drones.

Yes, I've seen people run with the GoPro chest harness things.  Once was at RnR Vegas.  I'm sure that she got lots of (ette) shots and not much of The Strip.

gopro chest harness

I'd think this would get shots of pace booty but not the runner him/herself.  I can see Chris's point of having the race officials controlling one or maybe official videographers use one, but only if it was just hovering, not following individual runners throughout the race.  The photogs could even sell video clips although that might be an editing nightmare!! 

It could be useful for bike races, though.  They could get rid of those dangerous motos.

Chris, would you use the drone to get video of yourself or the route you're riding?

2015-05-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm waiting for 90 minutes+ so I can use it for safety on a bike ride. Imagine that following you as you ride. There was one at the beginning of the HM I did in Feb, but it was controlled by the race folks. They posted the video of the start and it was pretty neat to see.

That is an amazing idea!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-05-13 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've had a few races over the last year or so where the race people have used drones at the start and then post the video.  It is pretty cool.

I can imagine you riding around Englewood with a drone following you.  For about 5 minutes.  And then someone would shoot it down  

2015-05-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm sure this will be discussed in TT, but I've always wondered about the legality of charging people for a chance to participate in a race...

ETA: I'm not sure of a better way to run a lottery system though. This could be the end of the lottery...

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-13 11:20 AM
2015-05-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

I've had a few races over the last year or so where the race people have used drones at the start and then post the video.  It is pretty cool.

I can imagine you riding around Englewood with a drone following you.  For about 5 minutes.  And then someone would shoot it down  

Deer Trail, CO, actually proposed drone hunting licenses last year.  It was a tongue-in-cheek way to get some publicity; it was "shot down" by the voters.

2015-05-13 11:28 AM

User image

Master

Ping-ping-ping! lol

While it's certainly another step up in cool gadgets, I don't know that we need anything else around us to distract ourselves/drivers more than we already are. "Wow! Check out the drone! (CRASH)....oh, guess there was a bike under it." or the wind picks up/battery gets low and suddenly biker is more worried about the drone's "safety" than his/her own.

Plus, aren't people annoyed by mosquitoes? That's all I can imagine when I think of these things.

2015-05-13 11:34 AM

Master
Northern IL

gopro chest harness

I'd think this would get shots of pace booty but not the runner him/herself.  I can see Chris's point of having the race officials controlling one or maybe official videographers use one, but only if it was just hovering, not following individual runners throughout the race.  The photogs could even sell video clips although that might be an editing nightmare!! 

It could be useful for bike races, though.  They could get rid of those dangerous motos.

Chris, would you use the drone to get video of yourself or the route you're riding?

Yeah, the race itself doing this can be very interesting. I've seen a few drone shots that were really something. The objection was for lots of individual runners doing it. That's a disaster in the making. Where this could be interesting is that the race can assign one to a runner. Or even to a few runners expected to be in various parts of the race, and just let the cameras follow them. But still keep things with the race organizations control.

2015-05-13 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

What are you saying?  Do you think we are a bit, um, backwoodish?

Mary, I'd like to be able to have it track me and in the event of an accident, I'd have a pretty good pic of the car, and the entire crash scenario. Of course, there would be no license plate info, so I'm not sure which would be better, that or a bike mounted one. A GoPro or Fly12 or Garmin Virb comes to mind. Cycliq, who makes the Fly12 makes a rear facing one as well, the Fly6.

2015-05-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm sure this will be discussed in TT, but I've always wondered about the legality of charging people for a chance to participate in a race...

ETA: I'm not sure of a better way to run a lottery system though. This could be the end of the lottery...

Change the name so that it doesn't include the word "lottery". "Reduced pricing entry contest" or some such nonsense.

in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

PSA:  For anybody interested in a HED Jet 6 Plus wheelset or some RoadID gear, they're having pop-quiz giveaway contest drawings through 5/17.  The wheelset is the grand prize, daily prizes are bike kit (jersey, bibs, socks, plus a clip-on light and RoadID) or a commuter set (backpack, socks, clip-on light, RoadID).  Plus you get a 15% off coupon just for answering the daily question right.

User image

Seattle

gopro chest harness

I think drones can provide a beautiful, unique perspective of a race. But the idea of a bunch of athletes using them individually is a terrible idea. I'm not  even sure athletes should probably be using electronic devises in a race at all. Too many people are too inconsiderate...

2015-05-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

gopro chest harness

Yeah, the race itself doing this can be very interesting. I've seen a few drone shots that were really something. The objection was for lots of individual runners doing it. That's a disaster in the making. Where this could be interesting is that the race can assign one to a runner. Or even to a few runners expected to be in various parts of the race, and just let the cameras follow them. But still keep things with the race organizations control.

As cool as some of the promo video is on these products, real life reliability and performance is another thing.  It is usually vastly different.  We bought a fairly expensive drone for my son for xmas.  More for the flying aspect then the video and picture taking.  He loves remote control stuff.  It went back to the store the next day.  In doing some online research after the fact, it was pretty well documented that battery life claims were way off.  20 minutes was more like 5.  I suspect that the technology will in fact catch up with the claims but these things are sent to market way too soon.  I watched a video on the Lily and it was all over the place.

Aside from the mechanical/technology issues, I hate the idea of the intrusive nature of these things.  While some of the official footage of some events I have been is pretty cool I do not want one buzzing along or around my immediate vicinity.  It's like folks that blast music from small external speakers during a race.  If you want to listen to music fine, use your headphones but I don't want to have to listen to it.  If you want to selfie yourself during a race have someone snap your picture.  A race should not be a personal multi-media show that infringes and distorts others peoples experience.  Pheww!!!   

2015-05-13 12:09 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Did you all see this?    Not crazy about the idea of my feet on IG but if it's for the kids...

Cool idea.  If you do it, you should paint your toes with fun colors.  I dare ya, NancySteve!

Believe it or not I have actually allowed my toes to be painted for the amusement of my family.  Had a nice little heart painted on one for valentines day.  Sounds like a really cool program.  Do not expect me to post pix here.

2015-05-13 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Change the name so that it doesn't include the word "lottery". "Reduced pricing entry contest" or some such nonsense.

Doesn't matter what you call it, if it has the elements of the offense-entry fee, random chance to win, prize, it is illegal.  They tried calling it a membership, but that didn't change things.  They have to change one of the elements, eg, no fee to enter.  I've wondered how all these races have been able to get away with lotteries like this...

2015-05-13 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

What are you saying?  Do you think we are a bit, um, backwoodish?

Mary, I'd like to be able to have it track me and in the event of an accident, I'd have a pretty good pic of the car, and the entire crash scenario. Of course, there would be no license plate info, so I'm not sure which would be better, that or a bike mounted one. A GoPro or Fly12 or Garmin Virb comes to mind. Cycliq, who makes the Fly12 makes a rear facing one as well, the Fly6.

Nope, i'm saying you live in Florida, the shoot first ask questions later state!

2015-05-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Very interesting.  I've been throwing into this years.  First time I've ever seen actual participant volumes.  Quite a bit higher than I had thought.  It will be interesting where they go from here.  I hope they are able to continue some type of program as it is probably the only way I will ever get to experience Kona.  

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-13 12:16 PM
2015-05-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

Very interesting.  I've been throwing into this years.  First time I've ever seen actual participant volumes.  Quite a bit higher than I had thought.  It will be interesting where they go from here.  I hope they are able to continue some type of program as it is probably the only way I will ever get to experience Kona.  

$2.8mil to the government... Or did I miss where the participants who are actually the "wronged" parties would be reimbursed? They're paying the fine and admitting no wrongdoing. It's a win-win! lol

2015-05-13 12:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Cool idea.  If you do it, you should paint your toes with fun colors.  I dare ya, NancySteve!

Believe it or not I have actually allowed my toes to be painted for the amusement of my family.  Had a nice little heart painted on one for valentines day.  Sounds like a really cool program.  Do not expect me to post pix here.

What?! You'll post pix on Twitter but not here?!  Sheesh.  Guess we just don't rate.

2015-05-13 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What?! You'll post pix on Twitter but not here?!  Sheesh.  Guess we just don't rate.

I'm okay with not seeing runners feet.

2015-05-13 12:28 PM

User image

Master

Ummmm...we ARE master stalkers, no?

2015-05-13 12:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Aside from the mechanical/technology issues, I hate the idea of the intrusive nature of these things.  While some of the official footage of some events I have been is pretty cool I do not want one buzzing along or around my immediate vicinity.  It's like folks that blast music from small external speakers during a race.  If you want to listen to music fine, use your headphones but I don't want to have to listen to it.  If you want to selfie yourself during a race have someone snap your picture.  A race should not be a personal multi-media show that infringes and distorts others peoples experience.  Pheww!!!   

Definitely agree with that. There will always be some people who get carried away with something fun and ruin it for everyone.

2015-05-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

$2.8mil to the government... Or did I miss where the participants who are actually the "wronged" parties would be reimbursed? They're paying the fine and admitting no wrongdoing. It's a win-win! lol

Yeah, it seems like they got off really easy - no criminal charges either.  Fines always go to the government, restitution goes to the victims; but, I don't know that people who paid into the lottery are actually victims.  They got what was advertised and what they paid for, they are not out anything else.  I suppose everyone who entered could try to band together to form a class action lawsuit against them.  If successful, a class action suit usually results in big money -for the attorneys!!    

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15834 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28869 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67479 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56097 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.