BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Trevor, cut the tease. Give us the details!

Everyone: Amazon has a deal on wetsuits today if you are in the market. I do not know anything more than what they post. Not  even if this is a goos deal. A lot of local store have a policy of matching low prices if you have a printed price. Well these can be printed and then you could bring it in, try the suit on and match the price knowing the suit fit.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=xs_gb_bd_BsDGfUIAIDAA?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=3375251&hidden-keywords=wwhsj09&emi=A2AUCXOL9AW7JP&pf_rd_p=441937801&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1P9YT3XHW23DYG5VEP3Z

Doug

2009-06-08 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
There went my intentions of being productive at work this morning.....all these great races to read about.  I can't believe all the podium finishers.  Well, yest I can, OUR GROUP ROCKS!!!!

BTW,  make sure you read Sarah's RR.  She is the first one I read and it was in unbelievable weather conditions. What an inspiration!!!
2009-06-08 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
I will post a RR later, but my first tri went well.  It was 750m, 13.8, 3.1 and i finished in 1:30:31, which was 13/24 of my age group.  Great first experience and I am looking forward to improving on all of my times. 
2009-06-08 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2201769

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

ABrunner - 2009-06-08 9:43 AM I will post a RR later, but my first tri went well.  It was 750m, 13.8, 3.1 and i finished in 1:30:31, which was 13/24 of my age group.  Great first experience and I am looking forward to improving on all of my times. 

Congrats triathlete!  Glad you enjoyed it!

2009-06-08 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
RR is up.  Read if you want some good humor.  I'm off to the pool to start improving upon one of my shortcomings!

Looking forward to reading all of the other RRs soon, right guys?

Suzy
2009-06-08 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
A HUGE congrats to all this weekend... I have spent the last couple hours reading everything!! Awesome all the way around...

Sarah-- Your a superfreak in those conditions!  Congrats
Doug-- Congrats on the race!  In regards to your 1/2 Ironman... If you sign up for it, YOU WILL change your training, and it will be fine.  You can do it, and do well.  It is just hard for you to imagine now, because your training is a little different.
Suzy-- Are you a sandbagger in your workout logs??? You swim (your entire race actually) was AWESOME! Congrats on 1st place.... That doesn't suck!
Tony-- Glad your back held up, and you had a good race.
Andy-- 100k ride?!   Hat's off to ya!
Kim-- I am not sure if anyone realizes this, but 16 MINUTES OFF AND OLYMPIC DISTANCE IS INSANE!!!! Awesome job!  If I could do that in an 1/2 Iron I would be stoked!
Rob-- Good race this weekend... Again like previous comments to Kim 3 minutes is some quick... Would you say that was mainly from your improvement in running?
Adam-- Congrats on your 1st race!  You ARE A TRIATHLETE!
Trevor-- Mr. Barney BadA$$.... Stop dangling the carrot and tell us what happen this weekend?

Izzy--- Not sure how often you are getting into OW, but PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!  Tell yourself it is just like any other time in the pool.  Stay in your rythm, count your strokes, count your breath, stay on feet and try to stay relaxed (I know easy to say).  Suzy is right.... Once you hit the bike time to recover, focus, and settle in... If you start out of the gates slow FINE, you will make it up later.  Hang in there.

My weekend was pretty uneventful... Played REALLY bad golf Saturday, drank way too much Friday (nice "TAPER!!"), and slept all day Saturday afternoon.  Sunday went out for a ride, had a really nice ride, until we were almost to the parking lot!! FRICKIN' CARS UGH!!!  We were riding 2 abreast (4 of us total) and I was on the inside, and my buddy was next to me.  A car if front of us (of to the ride) can up pretty quickly to the stop sign to make a left stops way over the white lane and 1/2 way in the road.  My buddy to my left thought she was coming out, and he tried to bale out to the right (and go down the street she came from).  Well I was on the right side!! He runs into me, and I lean into him, he then tries to lean back to the left and drops himself down, and during this whole thing I had locked up my brakes (tires pumped to 120PSI) and my rear tire EXPLODES, and sends my back end swinging around.  Since I had managed to unclip one foot I didn't go down (AMEN FOR previous MTN BIKING SKILLS, this really helps my biking skills-Not speed---HANDLING).  Then the dumb BIT@@ drives round around us.. DOESN'T EVEN ASK IF WE ARE OK..... So Frustrating... What a way to end day....

(Blown Tire2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Blown Tire2.JPG (70KB - 10 downloads)

2009-06-08 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Congrats to both Trevor and Adam~  Trevor on the PODIUM!  Adam on completing your first tri.  I can't wait to read both RR. 

I am getting jealous of everyone who is racing!  I am just doing that training stuff!!!  I feel like a little kid saying" I want to race, please, please!"
2009-06-08 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
2009-06-08 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Damn Steve...that sucks.  Are you OK?  Hows your friend?
2009-06-08 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
A few comments here.....
Kim- Seinfeld --"Its Shrinkage I tell you" -- and you--great swim!

Andy - Corner Gas - I am amazed you know of this show. It just finished its run on TV after 6 years I think.

Sarah- It gets better!! We were in Edmonton on Friday night, but I had heard it was snowing on Saturday morning down in Calgary and though of you. 2 flats, and now crap weather you're a trooper.

Everyone else--- Lunch today will be reading everyone's RR!!! We had an active bunch this weekend.

I loved my race this weekend. The weather was crappy(not Sarah weather crappy, but cold and windy) I went for a swim on Saturday afternoon to get used to the OWS. Took 10 minutes to get climatized to it, but after that it didn't feel that cold(lows 50'sF) The first swim was out to one bouy and back. The second time I was going to go the one bouy and back again, I thought I sighted myself great but ended up going way over to the other bouy. That was crazy!! I was more aware on Sunday for sure.
Pulled a Tracy on Saturday and Sunday which warms it up nicely. A guy got pulled from the water from the Oly without a wetuit. Not sure what he was thinking!

Its funny....I've been chatting with people here at work today about the race. They were all saying things like " Are you crazy?"  or " I could never get in water that cold",etc,etc.  
One thing I am really starting to realize about myself is that I am tougher than I ever thought I could be. That is what makes people like us unique. We can push through the pain.  I am starting to see that alot times that pain is just mental pain. I had a bit of an epiphany this weekend as well. This is something that really carries over into our everyday lifes.
We are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We realize the pain is short term. I used to quit when things got tough. Now, I realize that pain is only for another 2kms(figuratively speaking)
Why would I swim in water that cold? Why not? is starting to become my answer!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-06-08 11:15 AM
2009-06-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2199000

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
DougRob - 2009-06-06 9:17 AM I will write up a full report as soon as I get the offical split times, but here is the preliminary. I started 102 out of 201. I finished 13/201 in a time of 1:07:27. I was 2 in my age group. People kept telling me I would have won the CLysdale group, but so what? I would rather be in the age group. I passed 3 people in the swim and did not get passed. I passed a lot of people on the bike (30-40) and did not get passed. I passed 8-10 people on the run and did not get passed.

Can you tell I was thrilled not to get passed? The transition to the run was hard as I put a lot into the ride, but it was hard to get a rhythm on the run. My breathing was all over the place.

As I said I will do a complete RR later.

Hope everyone else had a great day!

Doug

P.S. The winning time was 57:30 and he was 17 years younger than me.

Congratulations, Doug! That is awesome!!!

2009-06-08 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2200060

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
SSMinnow - 2009-06-07 9:10 AM I'M DONE and I'M HAPPY! I think in 2:53. It was cold and windier than all get out on the bike and run, but no rain.  Did some things well and have a lot to improve upon!  My transitions suck!  Detail to follow.

Congrats, Suzy! Great time!!! Sounds like it was a rough day weather wise, but I'm glad it didn't rain on you. Can't wait to read the race report!
2009-06-08 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2202191

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-08 9:11 AM Damn Steve...that sucks.  Are you OK?  Hows your friend?

I am good, bike is good... (there is a small scratch from my friends pedal, but very minor)... My friend has some pretty good road rash on his upper leg, calve, and shoulder.... I talked to him today, and he is feeling fine..

Luckily my wife was at the tri shop picking up nutrition for this weekend, so she was able to get me a back tire pretty quickly (although the race wheels will go on tomorrow)....
2009-06-08 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
2009-06-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2200603

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations Kim!!! Fantastic!!!

Great job on the ride, Andy!!!

Awesome 5k, Janet!

Congratulations, Rob! ! A 3 minute improvement is awesome!

Nice job getting it done Izzy! x2 on Suzy's advice.

Congrats on the podium Trevor!

Adam- Congratulations Triathlete!!!

Glad you are all OK Steve!
2009-06-08 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I didn't race this weekend. When we got to Plains, MT it was pouring rain, and since I wasn't preregistered and a large portion of the course was dirt trails I decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury a week before Boise. So, instead we went to Hot Springs and soaked... great way to spend the day! Now I'm just trying to stay calm waiting for this weekend

I'm wondering if it would be possible to extend our virtual tri a few days? I don't think I'll be able to get a quick 5k in before Boise without compromising my taper, and the 14th is just the day after, so it probably won't happen then. I know we already extended it quite a bit, so if not I'll just take the quickest 5k run I've done in training since we started this and enter it on the spreadsheet (it'll be slow though).

2009-06-08 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Roni, just sprint the 1st 5k of Boise, and log it! !! Isn't that the game plan anyways??? !

That would also be a great cool down! 5k sprint the next day, before a nice long drive!
2009-06-08 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
I need input from the group in two areas:

1. I have a road bike and while I used the drops a lot yesterday, I am wondering if it is worth getting aerobars installed? I want to be fast......  Will it take me very long to get used to them? i don't want to blow a lot of time getting up to speed given we are in the middle of the season. will my road geometry easily transfer to a tri set up?

2. Talk to me about how to ingest calories on the bike?  I swear anything I take down gives me stomach issues. My fav beverage, Infinit failed me yesterday and I barely drank anything. Gels make me want to puke, Heed and Perpetum are awful and Gatorade contains HFCS and I never do that. Do you think it is possible to take in something like Carb Pro which is straight carbs and use electrolyte tabs like Success or Endurolytes to supplement the sodium, etc?  

Suzy
2009-06-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2202962

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-06-08 2:34 PM I need input from the group in two areas:

1. I have a road bike and while I used the drops a lot yesterday, I am wondering if it is worth getting aerobars installed? I want to be fast......  Will it take me very long to get used to them? i don't want to blow a lot of time getting up to speed given we are in the middle of the season. will my road geometry easily transfer to a tri set up?

2. Talk to me about how to ingest calories on the bike?  I swear anything I take down gives me stomach issues. My fav beverage, Infinit failed me yesterday and I barely drank anything. Gels make me want to puke, Heed and Perpetum are awful and Gatorade contains HFCS and I never do that. Do you think it is possible to take in something like Carb Pro which is straight carbs and use electrolyte tabs like Success or Endurolytes to supplement the sodium, etc?  

Suzy

Suzy:

I have nothing for you on item 2, but I can speak to item 1. Until this year I rode only road bikes. I now have a tri bike. I am getting more used to the aerobars every day. The bike geometry is different from road to bike. While it will take some miles (I am still in this phase0 to get completely comfortable in the tri-bike aero position, it will come with time. I might suggest an intermediate stp, if you have not done this already. Get a set of clip on aerobars and readust your seat height and position accordingly. Hopefully you have a preferred LBS can can help with the fit.

In this way you can get used to being more aero and then later get some dedicated aero bars. Bear in mind two things: 1 you will ahve to get used to the shifters and brakes beingin different places, and 2 aero bars do not have drops. The latter was hardest for me as I am used to riding in the drops and leaning into the turns from them.

Doug

P.S. If you do decide to go the full aerobar route I have a set of brand new still in their wrapper Bontrager XXX Lite aerobars. I put them up for sale here, but only had one bite. ITehy go for $699. I was asking $450. Seeing as I get so much from SWBKRUNMG, they're yours if you want them for $325 + shipping.
2009-06-08 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I have clip on aero bars.  I would second Doug's recommendation to get your fit adjusted at the LBS if you are going to use aero bars.  I have been working on using them, at first balance is a little weird, but that comes back easily enough.  I have not yet mastered how to do shift multiple times and usually use them when I see that my gearing is going to be okay for while.  I am sure that this will correct itself with practice, but I have this bad vision of trying to change gears, turning the front wheel 90 degrees and then doing a reality show worthy endo! 

As far as speed, I easily pick up a couple of MPH with the same cadence and gearing - they really work!  Could be a great benefit for the small additional weight on the bike since you can always still ride on the top of the bars or in the drops as well.

As to the nutrition - I am no help there.  Nothing I have done has really required me to worry about nutrition (I have supplemental calories stored around my mid section).  I worry mostly about electrolyte and fluid intake this time of year as I am definitely a sweater. 

-Andy

2009-06-08 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-06-08 1:34 PM I need input from the group in two areas:

Suzy[/QUOTE
X3 on the aero bars.....I assumed you had them already hard-core girl! I have a tri-bike so they came on my bike, but I couldn't imagine riding without them. Just get them properly fit. I notice a ton of difference when I'm down on them vs. up on the normal bar. Get out of the wind and honestly it kind of relaxing to sit on the aero bars. Some of the experts probably have some better "techie" reasons for them than this.
And as for #2...I'm still learning all of this. I got my fed-ex notice today that my "Trevor Power" is here from Infinit.

2009-06-08 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2203111

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-06-08 2:29 PM

I have clip on aero bars.  I would second Doug's recommendation to get your fit adjusted at the LBS if you are going to use aero bars.  I have been working on using them, at first balance is a little weird, but that comes back easily enough.  I have not yet mastered how to do shift multiple times and usually use them when I see that my gearing is going to be okay for while.  I am sure that this will correct itself with practice, but I have this bad vision of trying to change gears, turning the front wheel 90 degrees and then doing a reality show worthy endo! 

As far as speed, I easily pick up a couple of MPH with the same cadence and gearing - they really work!  Could be a great benefit for the small additional weight on the bike since you can always still ride on the top of the bars or in the drops as well.

As to the nutrition - I am no help there.  Nothing I have done has really required me to worry about nutrition (I have supplemental calories stored around my mid section).  I worry mostly about electrolyte and fluid intake this time of year as I am definitely a sweater. 

-Andy

People around me are wondering why I just laughed out loud. That was good Andy!
2009-06-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2203069

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-06-08 3:18 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-06-08 2:34 PM I need input from the group in two areas:

Suzy

Suzy:

I have nothing for you on item 2, but I can speak to item 1. Until this year I rode only road bikes. I now have a tri bike. I am getting more used to the aerobars every day. The bike geometry is different from road to bike. While it will take some miles (I am still in this phase0 to get completely comfortable in the tri-bike aero position, it will come with time. I might suggest an intermediate stp, if you have not done this already. Get a set of clip on aerobars and readust your seat height and position accordingly. Hopefully you have a preferred LBS can can help with the fit.

In this way you can get used to being more aero and then later get some dedicated aero bars. Bear in mind two things: 1 you will ahve to get used to the shifters and brakes beingin different places, and 2 aero bars do not have drops. The latter was hardest for me as I am used to riding in the drops and leaning into the turns from them.

Doug

P.S. If you do decide to go the full aerobar route I have a set of brand new still in their wrapper Bontrager XXX Lite aerobars. I put them up for sale here, but only had one bite. ITehy go for $699. I was asking $450. Seeing as I get so much from SWBKRUNMG, they're yours if you want them for $325 + shipping.

I will let you know about the aerobars.  I was all set to buy a custom carbon Seven tri bike a few months ago.  Money was put down.  One month later I get the call no one wants, " we cannot make this bike small enough for you".  I was stuck which is why I am still riding my custom Seven road bike.  I do have a great mechanic who can fit aerobars to my road bike, but I have been hesitant because of the geometry issues and the time it will take to get used to them.  I'll talk to him to see what he has to say. 

Suzy
2009-06-08 4:03 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
No problem. Out of curiousity, what size road bike frame ar you riding?
2009-06-08 4:06 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Suzy:

I have a question for you. You make reference to your different heart rate zones. How did you determine your numbers? How often do you retest those numbers? I know you have a CT. Did you use that?

I just got a great deal on a CT Pro 8001 for $425. I have to set it up. Any tips? Any add ons you particularly like? Software?

Anyone else feel free to jump in?

Doug
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383