BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-08 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Suzy,  I ride a road bike with clip on aero bars and sometime I prefer to ride in the drop bars verses the aero bars.  It changes the weight distribution on my shoulders and that is nice during long rides.  When I added the aero bars and was refitted for a more aggressive fit, hence they raised the seat, dropped the stems, flattened the angle of the handlebars, that lead to readjusting my seat and peddle angle so it is important to be properly fitted.  I like keeping the regular handlebars on because when I climb I sit up in the saddle. It really helps open my chest for breathing and prevents me from crunching my abs and assuming an incorrect body position.  However, with the more aggressive fitting I've really noticed a transfer of power coming from my hamstrings and glutes which I love. It is no longer just mashing up hills with the quads.  Point being, evaluate the type of riding you will be doing on the bike and then adjust accordingly.  Hilly, long flat TT, both.....  Doing the road bars with aero clip on gives you the greatest amount of variety.  You could try some clip on aero bars for a while to make these evaluations and then see if you want to commit to having the road bars removed or not.

As to the road nutrition I would evaluate your riding posture.  It is amazing how much you will engage your abs improperly if your fit is off.  How is your saddle feeling? Sorry here guys, but if the soft tissue is feeling too much discomfort that will really affect your positioning on the bike and thus you'll be tightening your abs to compensate.   Beyond that maybe lower the sugar intake or try different types of Gels. Gu's are pretty thick but Hammer Gels are thinner. Or you can get the little squirt bottles for gels and dilute them with water.  Have you tried eating on the bike instead of drinking?  Cliff bars and the such?

2009-06-08 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Wow, our group had an incredible weekend of racing (and excitement-Steve and his explosion)

Suzy, I'm so proud of you and your 1:45/100 yd pace--you were flying through the water...awesome job in that cold water.

Trevor on the podium!  Congrats with your cold conditions, too!

Adam, nice job triathlete!

Sorry if I'm missing others, I know I saw Doug and Sarah's reports already.  Janet, nice job on your 5k.

I still haven't gotten the splits for my race yesterday, yes, Doug, why does it take so LONG???!!!  Other races I've done have results posted 30 minutes within finishing!  But they did post the total time and mine was 2:49:26, which is really far surpassing my expectations.  10/22 in my age group.  192/302 overall includes all racers.  Lots of guys racing this race and young college teams, boy are they smoking fast.  The cool thing about this race is that I felt really strong the whole way.  Like the HIM is going to actually be doable.  Not easy, but I'm totally up for the challenge!  This is my third year of tri's and I feel like my base is just so much better this year...I wasn't red-lining out there but managed to keep an 18mph on the bike and still get off and run 8:15/mile on a really hilly hot course.  I'm glad I waited until this year to go for the HIM.  I had toyed with the idea last season, but knew it would be here this year.  

Steve- 16 minutes off of an oly swim (52 minutes of struggle down to 36 minutes of actual swimming!)  48 minutes off of my oly from last year. yes last year I finished in 3:37.  Granted it was Auburn World's Toughest  and the bike was super tough...run was way harder and 100 degrees, but hey, I'll take it!  I'm glad I didn't give up doing tri's based on one lousy swim!

Suzy- to answer your aerobar question, I do think aerobar clip ons translate well as long as you are comfortable on your current set up.  I got mine put on in February and it was a pretty easy adjustment.  I stayed in them almost the entire race yesterday and felt really good, even going up the short inclines.  I especially love them on downhills!!!  It's not an issue shifting, just have to reach up and click and drop right back into them.  I have the profile design carbon airstrykes, they are very adjustable...and they had to chop mine quite a bit since I have a short reach.  

RR should be up as soon as I get my splits...I'm off to the pool for some water therapy.

2009-06-08 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2201594

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-08 8:58 AM
ashort33 - 2009-06-07 11:03 PM

Looks like I am going to have to scrap the Hotter than Hell Century from my goals this year.  John, what can you tell me about the Katy Flatlands Century?  I may come down to do it.

Its 100 miles.  Wink.  I'll find out more.  Maybe I'll ride too. That would be cool! Of course you are more than welcome to stay at our house. 

Thanks for the invite, we would definitely have to get together.  However, I would probably stay in hotel near the race the night before and then head either home or to Beaumont (I need to go saltwater fishing in the worst sort of way!) after the race.   It would be cool to have a SWBKRUN MG buddy riding with me though.  Perhaps we could get in some 12 oz carb loading before or after   I think Guiness would fit the bill!

2009-06-08 6:07 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Kim--- Eat my words! Holy crap that is even better!

Suzy--- There is such a huge difference in road and tri geometry that I would almost steer you away from going w/ a Tri set up on a road bike.  It can be done, but if you are talking about changing the bars, gear, position,etc... That is a lot to go into changing.  Have you looked into a 48cm Cervelo?  They convert very nicely back and forth from road to tri (ie: seat angle, stem, etc....)

If you are taking about slapping some aerobars on the Seven and riding... Not a problem.  I think your bike guy would maybe take out a spacer or two on your stem, adjust your seat, but all very minor adjustments to make you a "more agressive," aerodynamic rider.

Doug those are great bars (but way too big for Suzy).... For anyone else out there--- THAT IS A GREAT DEAL FROM DOUG!  I just put Easton TT's on my bike otherwise tempting!  TONY--- THEY might work for you and taht fancy new bike you built!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-06-08 6:09 PM
2009-06-08 6:19 PM

User image

Pro
Suzy I totally neglected your Nutrition Question... Sorry.

Infinit is a great product as long as you find your perfect formula.  I love it along with everyone else that uses it.  But the trick I use w/ both Infinit, and Carbo Pro (I will use 1 water bottle of each for Boise) is to mix a little POWDERED GATORADE MIXTURE IN IT.... With Infinit I just put a little scoop for flavor.  With Carbo Pro (I have about 5 scoops of Carbo Pro-- heavy mixture) I usually put 2 scoops of Gatorade. 

Anytime your belly is getting too full you may be taking in too many calories too quickly, or you just sucked down a lot of water during the swim.  Switch to water a while, and avoid those mixtures for a while to see if you belly settle's down.  This is where carrying cliff BLOCKS, or Power bar (candy type things?) with you is good.  Get some solid's in you. I prefer to always carry Motivator's and Thermolytes w/ me...

I always keep an empty water bottle cage in case I do need to switch, and at one of the aid stations I can grab a water quickly.

Hope this helps a little?!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-06-08 6:26 PM
2009-06-08 6:30 PM

User image

Pro

2009-06-08 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

OK I haven't had time to read all the updates but from a quick glance we had some awesome performances as a team. Way to go everyone.  Soory I can't remember everyone who raced but do remember seeing PODIUM. Good thing it wasn't misspelled to IMODIUM.

I actually accomplished most of my goals for the race. 1) got through it OK. 2) did mange to place in my age group. 3) got into the top 25%. 4) reduce my time by 3:28. (I wanted to see if I could reduce by 6 minutes but that might havee been a little aggressive for such a short race.)

Now its off to the pool to get that swimming in. I really need to get my distance back for my Oly in 2 weeks. Hard training week this week.

2009-06-08 7:39 PM

User image

Pro
Anyone heard from HollyW @ ALL???
2009-06-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2203455

User image

Elite
Raleigh
swbkrun - 2009-06-08 6:07 PM Kim--- Eat my words! Holy crap that is even better!

Suzy--- There is such a huge difference in road and tri geometry that I would almost steer you away from going w/ a Tri set up on a road bike.  It can be done, but if you are talking about changing the bars, gear, position,etc... That is a lot to go into changing.  Have you looked into a 48cm Cervelo?  They convert very nicely back and forth from road to tri (ie: seat angle, stem, etc....)

If you are taking about slapping some aerobars on the Seven and riding... Not a problem.  I think your bike guy would maybe take out a spacer or two on your stem, adjust your seat, but all very minor adjustments to make you a "more agressive," aerodynamic rider.

Doug those are great bars (but way too big for Suzy).... For anyone else out there--- THAT IS A GREAT DEAL FROM DOUG!  I just put Easton TT's on my bike otherwise tempting!  TONY--- THEY might work for you and taht fancy new bike you built!

Good pointon the width Steve. I will extend the aero bar offer to anyone else in the Group. Otherwise I will sell them on ST next month.

Doug
2009-06-08 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2203695

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

swbkrun - 2009-06-08 7:39 PM Anyone heard from HollyW @ ALL???

Nope, nada, not a word.  Even dropped her an inspire...  Maybe I should surf the OKC news sites...

2009-06-08 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2203455

User image

Extreme Veteran
swbkrun - 2009-06-08 7:07 PM Kim--- Eat my words! Holy crap that is even better!

Suzy, my bike fitter (he fitted the CSC team) doesn't recommend putting aero bars on all road bikes due to the geometry and sizing problems people have on their current road bike vs a proper tri fit.  IE i'm in between a size 56 and 58 in a Cervelo but I have a 58.  When I initially got fitted, he recommended I do not go with aero bars on my current bike because he wouldn't get me close to a proper tri fit.  So the last few weeks I've been debating if i should buy a tri-bike or not.. Last week I've decided to only keep one bike SO now I'm in the process of switching out my size 58 Cervelo R3-SL to a size 56 Cervelo SLC-SL (last yrs model of the S3) because the SLC/S series Cervelos DO have the flexibility to get more of a proper tri-fit in an aero road frame.  There are other companies that have similar type road bike frames like the Felt AR series and the Guru Geneo and Serotta Meivichi SE (the Serotta frame is extremely expensive, starts at $8500) among other brands.  My new frame is coming tomorrow and I get fitted on it Friday (with aero bars).  It sounds like you're at were I was a few weeks back..  Good luck..  

BTW does anyone want to buy a size 58 2008 Cervelo R3-SL bought 10 months ago, the frame has less than 1000 miles the group has 1600 miles and consist of Durace 7800, FSA carbon cranks and zero gravity brakes (i'm thinking about the price now)?  The group and frame is very clean the durace shifters has some scratches from leaning against my brick wall and my 2yr old decided to move the bike around..  I'm going to list the bike on ebay and BT after I get fitted for my new bike and possibly my race on Sunday.

2009-06-08 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I have to take a minute and pat myself on the back.  I've done 3000+yds on my last 2 swim workouts and neither of them broke me!   I'm certainly not super fast out there but I'm feeling really good in the water.  Plus I timed a 300 during today's swim and I improved my last virtual tri time.  Go Team Shi!!

Editted for my stupidity I was comparing my 400 yd time to a 300 yd time. No wonder I thought I had improved so much.  Sorry Andy.  I guess I need to eat.

Edited by tahrens 2009-06-08 8:46 PM
2009-06-08 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2203812

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-06-08 8:33 PM

I have to take a minute and pat myself on the back.  I've done 3000+yds on my last 2 swim workouts and neither of them broke me!   I'm certainly not super fast out there but I'm feeling really good in the water.  Plus I timed a 300 during today's swim and I improved my last virtual tri time.  Go Team Shi!!

Go Team Shi!

2009-06-08 8:55 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone have any recommendations on when is a good time to jump from a sprint to an olympic distance? There is one July 12th but Im not sure whether I would be able to do the bike, it would be my biggest challenge.

Also, I have a road bike that I was wondering about getting aero bars for.   I see from the discussions that maybe this is not such a great idea? Does anyone have any opinion?
2009-06-08 9:07 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
One more thing - does any have the link to the spreadsheet where we put in our times? I know I asked this before but I cant remember what page it was on!
2009-06-08 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2203872

User image

Extreme Veteran
smoore3 - 2009-06-08 9:55 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on when is a good time to jump from a sprint to an olympic distance? There is one July 12th but Im not sure whether I would be able to do the bike, it would be my biggest challenge.

Also, I have a road bike that I was wondering about getting aero bars for.   I see from the discussions that maybe this is not such a great idea? Does anyone have any opinion?

I'm not the best person to answer your first question as I'm trying to make that transition too, mine is on July 26th.  I've increased my bike training the last few weeks and I'm actually seeing a slight improvement.  Basically I'm able to stay in the saddle longer and ride longer.

My main pt in my last post is you probably should go to your bike fitter to see if you can properly get fitted for a tri-fit on your current road bike with areo bars.  It didn't work for me on my current bike..  I'm sure other people will have their opinions based on their experiences as well.

2009-06-08 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
smoore3 - 2009-06-08 7:55 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on when is a good time to jump from a sprint to an olympic distance? There is one July 12th but Im not sure whether I would be able to do the bike, it would be my biggest challenge.

Hey Sarah...I am giving it a shot on June 20th. My 1st Oly. I think its a personal thing when your 'ready.' For me, I know I can do the sprint distances comfortably, and want to challenge myself for distance. My only goal is to finish the Oly. Then improve my times as I go on. But for others, it's about enjoying it and finishing strong,etc. I think you will get a few different opinions on it.
2009-06-08 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
smoore3 - 2009-06-08 8:55 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on when is a good time to jump from a sprint to an olympic distance? There is one July 12th but Im not sure whether I would be able to do the bike, it would be my biggest challenge.

Sarah

Given how well you did this weekend, make the jump.  Think of it as a big training day versus a race and maybe that will help.  I got the green light to do another Oly in two weeks, which jumps me up to a 1.5K swim.  I know I am not completely ready for it or the nasty hills on the bike and run course, but I am thinking BIG TRAINING DAY.  Will I be fast?Heck no, but my goal is experience.  My coach said it will do wonders for my fitness as long as I am disciplined throughout the event.

Suzy
2009-06-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2203800

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-06-08 8:29 PM
swbkrun - 2009-06-08 7:07 PM Kim--- Eat my words! Holy crap that is even better!

Suzy, my bike fitter (he fitted the CSC team) doesn't recommend putting aero bars on all road bikes due to the geometry and sizing problems people have on their current road bike vs a proper tri fit.  IE i'm in between a size 56 and 58 in a Cervelo but I have a 58.  When I initially got fitted, he recommended I do not go with aero bars on my current bike because he wouldn't get me close to a proper tri fit.  So the last few weeks I've been debating if i should buy a tri-bike or not.. Last week I've decided to only keep one bike SO now I'm in the process of switching out my size 58 Cervelo R3-SL to a size 56 Cervelo SLC-SL (last yrs model of the S3) because the SLC/S series Cervelos DO have the flexibility to get more of a proper tri-fit in an aero road frame.  There are other companies that have similar type road bike frames like the Felt AR series and the Guru Geneo and Serotta Meivichi SE (the Serotta frame is extremely expensive, starts at $8500) among other brands.  My new frame is coming tomorrow and I get fitted on it Friday (with aero bars).  It sounds like you're at were I was a few weeks back..  Good luck..  

BTW does anyone want to buy a size 58 2008 Cervelo R3-SL bought 10 months ago, the frame has less than 1000 miles the group has 1600 miles and consist of Durace 7800, FSA carbon cranks and zero gravity brakes (i'm thinking about the price now)?  The group and frame is very clean the durace shifters has some scratches from leaning against my brick wall and my 2yr old decided to move the bike around..  I'm going to list the bike on ebay and BT after I get fitted for my new bike and possibly my race on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice.  I don't want to jeopordize the good body position I have on the Seven, just to gain 1mph, but I am going to have my ace mechanic take a look at me to see if it might work.  I would love to get a second bike and probably will next year, a Seven ti carbon.  A straight carbon is out of the question for me.

I did see a sweet P4 at my event yesterday.  That is one impressive bike.  If only I could grow a few inches
2009-06-08 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2203812

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-06-08 8:33 PM

Editted for my stupidity I was comparing my 400 yd time to a 300 yd time. No wonder I thought I had improved so much.  Sorry Andy.  I guess I need to eat.

Way to toot your own horn!  Nice work.

The photographers got a shot of me in my wetsuit yesterday.  Assuming I don't look like a complete beast, I will replace my avatar for a little while. 
2009-06-08 10:49 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

RR is up 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163195

I should post the wetsuit photo they got of me as I fell over as soon as I tried to stand up.  Twice.  YUP!  That's me, the big dork!

2009-06-08 11:46 PM

User image

Pro
smoore3 - 2009-06-08 6:55 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on when is a good time to jump from a sprint to an olympic distance? There is one July 12th but Im not sure whether I would be able to do the bike, it would be my biggest challenge.

Slapping Aerobars on your bike is one thing... It CAN be done, and doesn't change things dramatically.  You will be ok.  Especially when you are riding 1.5-2hrs..... It's when you are riding 3+ hrs every weekend and are CONSTANTLY in AERO position that makes things important. 

I guess what I would steer away from is going w/ an intergrated full AEROBAR setup on a road bike (without a proper fit)....

Check out both pictures... One from a "TRUE TRI BIKE" the other from a road bike w/ Aerobars.... (I rode a cervelo Soloist for 4 years with Aerobars on them-- 2 Ironman's, 6 1/2 Iron's and several Sprints... NO PROBLEMS!)

(MVI_1932_0001.jpg)

(4085-medium_torbjorn_kona08.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MVI_1932_0001.jpg (22KB - 22 downloads)
4085-medium_torbjorn_kona08.jpg (41KB - 11 downloads)
2009-06-08 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2203896

User image

Pro
smoore3 - 2009-06-08 7:07 PM One more thing - does any have the link to the spreadsheet where we put in our times? I know I asked this before but I cant remember what page it was on!

Page 41
2009-06-09 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2204121

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
HAHA try not to compare yourself to Sindabal, he has the most aero fit of anyone out there, not many can ride that way and live to tell about it.

Sorry for the sporadic updates all.  We have had quite a long weekend, just got back in town last night.

Got up at 4:30 both Saturday and Sunday, then got up around 8:00 on Monday to drive back 10 hrs.

Wife finished her first HIM in just about 7 hrs.  Not quite as fast as she would have liked but she finished.  It would not have been my choice for my first half, there are some serious hills, in the Olympic I only rode 19.7mph and was in the low 180's out of almost 1000 people, so it was not a PR type bike course and the run course featured some of the same hills.  Her first Marathon was Baltimore which has some serious hills also, she is a glutton for punishment I suppose.

For me I placed myself in the very back of my wave because I had no idea how my swim was going to turn out, so probably wasted 30 seconds or more there, then something amazing happened, I caught back up to the pack and passed people.  I was really worried about my suit as I still haven't had a good swim in any wetsuit where my shoulders just didn't get burned out after about 500M, but I tried something in a practice swim on Thursday where on my pull I didn't pull all the way back to my hip, I stopped about 3/4 of the way down and while probably not quite as fast it didn't tire my arms out.

I swam from Buoy to Buoy, actualy swimming very straight, no idea why people were 100yards wide, why swim further when you don't have to?  I pulled up quite a few times to make sure I was going the right direction because when I would breathe I saw people really far away and figured I was the one off course, but they were.  Got kicked in the head, ran into some back strokers (felt for them because usually that is me), had people swim perpindicular to me, etc and got out of the water in 30:55, could have easily broken 30:00 if I would have just put myself in the middle of the pack, will do that next time.

I will put up my RR here in a few, but was super psyched about my swim, that was what I was most worried about and I smoked it.  Haven't had a chance to read posts for a few days so I will shut up for now and catch back up.

2009-06-09 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Glad you are back Tony. We missed you. Congrats on the Olympic and the swim. Looking forward to the RR.
Doug
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383