BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Speaking of, I am due for some shoes soon. I have like 6-7 pair in rotation but the problem is, I've had this rotation for like, 2 years.

I was lucky and arrived home from vacation with a shiny new pair of NB to product test, and luckily I love them so I will log a ton of miles. But I need to get a few new pair. 

I meant to ask you from your RR what you were product testing. Glad you like the NB.

I recently discovered Yerdle and have re-homed some of my slightly worn shoes that I couldn't/didn't return.

I'd never heard of Yerdle.  How cool!

2015-05-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Speaking of, I am due for some shoes soon. I have like 6-7 pair in rotation but the problem is, I've had this rotation for like, 2 years.

I was lucky and arrived home from vacation with a shiny new pair of NB to product test, and luckily I love them so I will log a ton of miles. But I need to get a few new pair. 

I think I've now surpassed my wife for number of shoes which is almost like an Imelda Marcos thing.  The LRS guys love me and have ordered shoes for me before I ask them because they just know I'm a sucker for a pretty sole.  There are so many options out there that I tire quickly of a shoe even if it's performing well.  I think we are always chasing the perfect pair.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding new options.  How many miles will you put on a new pair that aren't what you expected before you bag em?

2015-05-13 4:10 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

My feet are jerks that only like certain shoes.  And then the company stops making them and I start the search all over.  And they are usually in only one colour.  Pout.

2015-05-13 4:17 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

My feet are jerks that only like certain shoes.  And then the company stops making them and I start the search all over.  And they are usually in only one colour.  Pout.

I hear ya! Mine are the same way. 

2015-05-13 4:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

When I started running there were not a lot of options.  It was like this:

OR This:

2015-05-13 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yeah, my feet can run in many, but only really like a few.  ASICS have been good to me over the years, but I can't find the exaaaact right balance of light and support for my foot in the current lineup.  Saucony have been great the last couple cycles (but the Mirage 4 is just a leetle different than the 3 - which I loved, not least for the ORANGE color that wasn't available when I bought my #4s).  Hoka's have come and gone, but I am running in a pair for recovery/ez runs at the moment (too big to feel right when going hard).

My biggest lament is that Newtons break my feet (and Kim's - in her case literally during a HM).  I love love LOVE those dang shoes - fastest feeling road shoes I've had.  But the 4 lug version really beat our feet up.  I could run in those sockless all day long, too - they were like a secret weapon in sprint and Oly tri's!

I'm thinking of trying the Zoot's made for socklessness, and maybe the new 5 lug Newtons.

Anyone run in either of those?

I have an Oly at the end of the month and will likely pick up a new pair (and prolly a DeSoto one-piece tri suit with the floaty crotch pad) or two tomorrow so I can run in them a bit before the race.  I can always use my Saucony or ASICS in the race, but I don't like socks in an Oly (and I bleed with all those shoes if I drop the socks - tried 'em all).

Ramble done.

Matt

2015-05-13 4:25 PM

User image

Master

I haven't had Asics since volleyball years. Tried them once since, and the cut of the heel (don't remember which ones) was super aggravating, so went with other shoes. Been mostly Brooks lately. Really like my Adrenalines more than the Ravennas (both stability).  The Pearl Izumi Road M3s I picked up in KS I've found very comfortable (moderate stability). Cascadias are neutral and I can run in them just fine.

Didn't buy them yet. Figured I'd look at reviews and get feedback.

2015-05-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I haven't had Asics since volleyball years. Tried them once since, and the cut of the heel (don't remember which ones) was super aggravating, so went with other shoes. Been mostly Brooks lately. Really like my Adrenalines more than the Ravennas (both stability).  The Pearl Izumi Road M3s I picked up in KS I've found very comfortable (moderate stability). Cascadias are neutral and I can run in them just fine.

I really like the feel of the Books Adrenalines, except that the arch was like 1cm back from where my minimal arch is - my feet have all the arch of a piece of plywood - and it felt like running on a marble after a few runs (enough to not be able to return the shoes, of course).  Otherwise, I really liked the way they felt (flex, upper, etc.) - was bummed that my feet got finicky on those ones...

Matt

2015-05-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

I can't imagine the mess this could make at races!

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

I'm waiting for 90 minutes+ so I can use it for safety on a bike ride. Imagine that following you as you ride. There was one at the beginning of the HM I did in Feb, but it was controlled by the race folks. They posted the video of the start and it was pretty neat to see.

I've had a few races over the last year or so where the race people have used drones at the start and then post the video.  It is pretty cool.

I can imagine you riding around Englewood with a drone following you.  For about 5 minutes.  And then someone would shoot it down  

What are you saying?  Do you think we are a bit, um, backwoodish?

Mary, I'd like to be able to have it track me and in the event of an accident, I'd have a pretty good pic of the car, and the entire crash scenario. Of course, there would be no license plate info, so I'm not sure which would be better, that or a bike mounted one. A GoPro or Fly12 or Garmin Virb comes to mind. Cycliq, who makes the Fly12 makes a rear facing one as well, the Fly6.

Nope, i'm saying you live in Florida, the shoot first ask questions later state!

I have some neighbors who might argue about which state that really is. 

^^^you too?

Not necessarily me, but many here...

While many will point out that Austin in merely surrounded by the Great State of Texas and not actually part of it (usually Texans who don't live in Austin), even this puddle of blue in a red sea / pierced navel of the state is decidedly Texan.  So, yep - lots of VERY strong gun rights people in the area.

It's one of the few places, perhaps, where you can find a socially ultra-liberal, tattooed, pierced, semi-pro musician, scientist, small government fiscal conservative who is a staunch second amendment advocate.  Or just about any other mix you'd care to describe.  And they're almost uniformly NICE, too.

Mind you, I'm not making a judgment about any of that - it's truly just an observation about the place and the people here.  A mix of folks I have not really seen elsewhere in my travels.  Makes about any conversation you have a lively and unexpected one! 

Part of the reason I really like the city is that it is quite accepting of people for who they are and of their points of view - even when it's an "odd" mix compared to typical "camps."  Being in a family of odd ducks, it's kind of nice. 

Matt

LOL...To clarify, I meant about the neighbors not you.

2015-05-13 4:43 PM

User image

Master

As long as the colour is FAST

2015-05-13 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I can't imagine the mess this could make at races!

http://techcrunch.olanola.com/blog/43360359784/Lily%E2%80%99s-$499-Selfie-Drone-Is-Like-A-Flying-GoPro

Interesting. For the time being it looks like it's usage is limited to 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine the start of a race where a dozen or more people were launching their drones?  My imagination went to drone carnage falling on runners!

I'm waiting for 90 minutes+ so I can use it for safety on a bike ride. Imagine that following you as you ride. There was one at the beginning of the HM I did in Feb, but it was controlled by the race folks. They posted the video of the start and it was pretty neat to see.

I've had a few races over the last year or so where the race people have used drones at the start and then post the video.  It is pretty cool.

I can imagine you riding around Englewood with a drone following you.  For about 5 minutes.  And then someone would shoot it down  

What are you saying?  Do you think we are a bit, um, backwoodish?

Mary, I'd like to be able to have it track me and in the event of an accident, I'd have a pretty good pic of the car, and the entire crash scenario. Of course, there would be no license plate info, so I'm not sure which would be better, that or a bike mounted one. A GoPro or Fly12 or Garmin Virb comes to mind. Cycliq, who makes the Fly12 makes a rear facing one as well, the Fly6.

Nope, i'm saying you live in Florida, the shoot first ask questions later state!

I have some neighbors who might argue about which state that really is. 

^^^you too?

Not necessarily me, but many here...

While many will point out that Austin in merely surrounded by the Great State of Texas and not actually part of it (usually Texans who don't live in Austin), even this puddle of blue in a red sea / pierced navel of the state is decidedly Texan.  So, yep - lots of VERY strong gun rights people in the area.

It's one of the few places, perhaps, where you can find a socially ultra-liberal, tattooed, pierced, semi-pro musician, scientist, small government fiscal conservative who is a staunch second amendment advocate.  Or just about any other mix you'd care to describe.  And they're almost uniformly NICE, too.

Mind you, I'm not making a judgment about any of that - it's truly just an observation about the place and the people here.  A mix of folks I have not really seen elsewhere in my travels.  Makes about any conversation you have a lively and unexpected one! 

Part of the reason I really like the city is that it is quite accepting of people for who they are and of their points of view - even when it's an "odd" mix compared to typical "camps."  Being in a family of odd ducks, it's kind of nice. 

Matt

LOL...To clarify, I meant about the neighbors not you.

Ha!  No worries. 

While I'm certainly not going to shoot at drones, I have been a waterfowler for many years (and love being out in the marsh and on the water - hunting, fishing... or not) and come from generations of people who go down to the sea in boats - and do all sorts of outdoorsy stuff. 

So, we have firearms in the house.  To get to them requires a combination to a safe, a key to another safe, a combination to a safe for ammo and a key or combination for each firearm lock.  So, I'm certainly not against gun ownership, per se, but I'm not quite the yahoo that's pot-shotting at drones! 

That said, a close friend I went through the MD/PhD program with has a farm in western Ohio and has been known to get creative with targets out on the "rockpile" in the back 40.  He has a few fewer drones than he used to, from the pics I've seen.    Not just FL and TX, apparently!

Matt

2015-05-13 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

All racing shoes should be orange.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Matt

2015-05-13 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like my Asics TriNoosa's so much I currently have 2 pair in the rotation, and a pair of 2170's as well. The TriNoosa's will be my race shoe this year, since Pearl Izumi stopped making the iso-Transitions that I loved to race in. Of course, I have V8 of the noosa and they are on 9 or 10 at this point.  I have nearly 500 miles on my 2170's and they are still used on occasion.  I have found all their stuff to be pretty good, although my Noosa's with 407 miles on them are wearing out from the inside. Time for more shoes!

2015-05-13 4:51 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I like my Asics TriNoosa's so much I currently have 2 pair in the rotation, and a pair of 2170's as well. The TriNoosa's will be my race shoe this year, since Pearl Izumi stopped making the iso-Transitions that I loved to race in. Of course, I have V8 of the noosa and they are on 9 or 10 at this point.  I have nearly 500 miles on my 2170's and they are still used on occasion.  I have found all their stuff to be pretty good, although my Noosa's with 407 miles on them are wearing out from the inside. Time for more shoes!

Agreed on the Noosa's, too.  I have a pair in the rotation with a bit over 300 miles on them.  I like the shoe - light and fast, really good with a ton or sweat or on a rainy run - but they also make my toe knuckles bleed without socks.  Have you run in them without socks?  Just wondering if maybe you sized up or down a little from others and if that might help where the shoe "breaks" on my feet... 

Just curious.

Matt

2015-05-13 4:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

+1 on the iso Transitions.  I really liked them for their lightweight yet soft ride with great flexibility.  The ASCIS GEL-Electro's that I mentioned have a similar feel but are not tri specific.

I thought I'd try the Zoot's and find that they are comfortable sockless but do not have the flexibility and softness of the PI's.  They are the only shoe I have ever worn that truly is not to size.  Go up a half size.  They are the brightest yellow I've ever worn.

2015-05-13 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

All racing shoes should be orange.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Matt

You must be half Dutch, half Irish

2015-05-13 5:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

I think I've now surpassed my wife for number of shoes which is almost like an Imelda Marcos thing.  The LRS guys love me and have ordered shoes for me before I ask them because they just know I'm a sucker for a pretty sole.  There are so many options out there that I tire quickly of a shoe even if it's performing well.  I think we are always chasing the perfect pair.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding new options.  How many miles will you put on a new pair that aren't what you expected before you bag em?

I don't count. I know when it's time, I can feel it. It depends on the style of shoe but I can get somewhere between 700-800 miles out of a pair. Which the math seems to add up for the most part.

And while we are on the subject, I say go, try on a pair and run in them and see what is comfortable.

Other than quality (in terms of not falling apart quickly) I don't really think anything else matters. Including the sales person and your peers. 

Well, except color

2015-05-13 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Agreed on the Noosa's, too.  I have a pair in the rotation with a bit over 300 miles on them.  I like the shoe - light and fast, really good with a ton or sweat or on a rainy run - but they also make my toe knuckles bleed without socks.  Have you run in them without socks?  Just wondering if maybe you sized up or down a little from others and if that might help where the shoe "breaks" on my feet... 

Just curious.

Matt

All my Asics are .5 up, but then so were my PI's and the Zoot's I tried and the On Clouds that I have now. Soooo, I guess I am now a 12. Sauconies and NB's were an 11.5 at the beginning of my running. I believe the punnding changes things. And I am a sock runner/racer. I'll lose 30 seconds for sock comfort, but from way back here, that is fine!

Steve and I will be starting a petition to bring back the isoTrans. Best shoe I ever raced in.

2015-05-13 5:52 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I don't count. I know when it's time, I can feel it. It depends on the style of shoe but I can get somewhere between 700-800 miles out of a pair. Which the math seems to add up for the most part.

And while we are on the subject, I say go, try on a pair and run in them and see what is comfortable.

Other than quality (in terms of not falling apart quickly) I don't really think anything else matters. Including the sales person and your peers. 

Well, except color

I guess most people do as you've said.  Try them on, run around a bit and then decide if they are comfortable enough to invest some miles in.

My last question was really geared towards my situation which sounds like most don't have.  I have an odd size so the LRS always has to special order my shoes.  I read about what I think I want, they order it, I buy it.  I don't really get a chance to try so my question isn't really relevent as to how many miles you would run in a new shoe that you bought without trying when it doesn't really feel all that great.  I just feel guilty having a small local shop incur the shipping and then me say no thanks.  Most of what I buy I do get normal mileage out of and if not I try to give them away to someone else that can use them.  Even the worst shoe I'll suffer through a hundred miles or so to get some justification over my spending.

2015-05-13 5:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Just curious.

Matt

All my Asics are .5 up, but then so were my PI's and the Zoot's I tried and the On Clouds that I have now. Soooo, I guess I am now a 12. Sauconies and NB's were an 11.5 at the beginning of my running. I believe the punnding changes things. And I am a sock runner/racer. I'll lose 30 seconds for sock comfort, but from way back here, that is fine!

Steve and I will be starting a petition to bring back the isoTrans. Best shoe I ever raced in.

I'll ocassionaly see a new pair on Ebay but alas never my size.  Always like a 14 or something like that.

I haven't tried their replacement the E:MOTIONS.  Do you know anything about them?  From what I've read they are not like the iso's

2015-05-13 6:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Well, except color

I guess most people do as you've said.  Try them on, run around a bit and then decide if they are comfortable enough to invest some miles in.

My last question was really geared towards my situation which sounds like most don't have.  I have an odd size so the LRS always has to special order my shoes.  I read about what I think I want, they order it, I buy it.  I don't really get a chance to try so my question isn't really relevent as to how many miles you would run in a new shoe that you bought without trying when it doesn't really feel all that great.  I just feel guilty having a small local shop incur the shipping and then me say no thanks.  Most of what I buy I do get normal mileage out of and if not I try to give them away to someone else that can use them.  Even the worst shoe I'll suffer through a hundred miles or so to get some justification over my spending.

Oh sorry, I misread.

Hum. Yeah, I have some pair that at some point bothered me but it was past the point where I felt comfortable sending them back. I suppose that is in the 20-30 mile range maybe?

There is a local store that does a demo program where you pay a certain amount per month to demo an unlimited amount of shoes and then that monthly amount is deducted from the shoe you decide on. Might be good for someone like you

2015-05-13 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Just curious.

Matt

I'll ocassionaly see a new pair on Ebay but alas never my size.  Always like a 14 or something like that.

I haven't tried their replacement the E:MOTIONS.  Do you know anything about them?  From what I've read they are not like the iso's

I've heard the same, a completely different shoe.

Ann-Marie, have you tried the E:Motions? I thought I remember that from somewhere, but I could very well be making stuff up.

2015-05-13 7:09 PM

User image

Master

My Road M3s are E:Motion, but, though they are a very comfortable ride for me, I have no previous Pearl Izumi shoe experience to compare  

2015-05-13 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Just curious.

Matt

Ann-Marie, have you tried the E:Motions? I thought I remember that from somewhere, but I could very well be making stuff up.

Wow, you have a great memory!  I did buy a pair and was liking them, but right around the time I got them I was diagnosed with capsilitis and they are not cushioned enough to keep the ouchy away!

2015-05-13 7:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Just curious.

Matt

Wow, you have a great memory!  I did buy a pair and was liking them, but right around the time I got them I was diagnosed with capsilitis and they are not cushioned enough to keep the ouchy away!

You are the first, last and only person who has ever told me that  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15834 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28866 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67478 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56093 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.