BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-07-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4124687

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-07-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4313295

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
Fred D - 2012-07-16 9:50 PM
TriAya - 2012-07-16 9:33 AM

*popping my head in to say congrats to James, Jason and Ruuuudeeee *

and ask a question of The Greats (yes, that would be you, whoever is reading this ...)

I have no idea what "engage your core" means with respect to S/B/R (and those are three hugely different activities anyway)

I'm not an idiot. I've co-written and edited two Pilates training manuals and one yoga training manual (as in, the manual for instructors, not students). But I can't find any information indicating that engaging the core, whatever that means, or even strengthening the core, has any direct effect on performance in normal healthy individuals.

Is "engage your core" advice useful for anything tri? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks, pardon the intrusion, carry on.

. I don't think you are going to find any true 'scientific' studies that will prove core work helps SBR, but I do try to consciously and unconsciously engages my core when doing SBR. I don't work the core as a separate exercise as *I* believe that's redundant. ie; SBR is core work. What I try to remind myself is to engage the core by pushing OUT on the abdominal muscles so as in such a way to feel they are tighter. I think of my strides or pedal strokes or swim pulls as originating from the strong core....especially on the bike. If I feel my belly muscles are flaccid the whole process seems weaker. Probably not very clear, so apologies.

No apologies. I'm genuinely curious or I wouldn't ask, and an N=1 coming from you (or anyone else in this group) is worth some thought to me. Thank you!

2012-07-16 9:17 AM

2012-07-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4313310

Payson, AZ
TriAya - 2012-07-16 6:57 AM
Fred D - 2012-07-16 9:50 PM

and ask a question of The Greats (yes, that would be you, whoever is reading this ...)

I have no idea what "engage your core" means with respect to S/B/R (and those are three hugely different activities anyway)

I'm not an idiot. I've co-written and edited two Pilates training manuals and one yoga training manual (as in, the manual for instructors, not students). But I can't find any information indicating that engaging the core, whatever that means, or even strengthening the core, has any direct effect on performance in normal healthy individuals.

Is "engage your core" advice useful for anything tri? Am I missing something really obvious?

. I don't think you are going to find any true 'scientific' studies that will prove core work helps SBR, but I do try to consciously and unconsciously engages my core when doing SBR. I don't work the core as a separate exercise as *I* believe that's redundant. ie; SBR is core work. What I try to remind myself is to engage the core by pushing OUT on the abdominal muscles so as in such a way to feel they are tighter. I think of my strides or pedal strokes or swim pulls as originating from the strong core....especially on the bike. If I feel my belly muscles are flaccid the whole process seems weaker. Probably not very clear, so apologies.

No apologies. I'm genuinely curious or I wouldn't ask, and an N=1 coming from you (or anyone else in this group) is worth some thought to me. Thank you!

When I think engage my core with respect to SBR I simply think good form.  As an example, when I get tired running I slouch badly.  So I just think of standing tall.  One pretty much takes more core out and the other takes my core to get back out of that slouch.  So, just being aware of how you are fresh and working to stay with that form when you get tired. 

2012-07-16 9:35 AM

Melon Presser
Thanks for the "core" perspectives, folks!
2012-07-16 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4313369

Elite
Ontario

TSimone - 2012-07-16 10:17 AM I do core work (albeit not as much as I should) for other reasons. DDD and an L4-L5 rupture. Mostly metronomes, planks and supermans. I think when I consciously "engage" in the swim I feel like my hips stay up better. Either that or I'm just in a better overall position. Someone like you with gobs of swim experience may just do it naturally and not even realize it.

B/R I don't really try to engage consciously, but I may do so and just not know it. When I first started out running I did focus on it because I "felt" like it helped me run "taller". I've got terrible posture so I naturally gravitate to that bad posture when fatigued. Engaging my core is as much a reminder as anything else when it comes to my form. Just my $.02.

I'll echo the sentiment about swimming.  I feel stronger, and typically swim a touch faster when thinking more about my core for rotation (if I think about rotation that's a win).

As for running and riding, I don't give it any thought.  I just think about my legs and my breathing, and that's about it.

2012-07-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4313033

Rudedog55 - 2012-07-16 12:38 AM

Well, did the sprint tri yesterday, had a decent race.  33/550, did the swim in 13 (1/2 mile), did the bike in 28:45 (12.3 miles) and ran the 5k in about 24 mins.  The swim was average for me, the bike was best in the field and course record, the run was a bit slow.  All things considered, i had no leg pain and it feels ok today, i got bad blisters from my shoes on the back of my heels.

We then had the BeerBQ, which was awesome, had some great friends come and we ate and drank all day!!!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!!!

Great job.  Not a bad run after setting the bike course record if you ask me.

2012-07-16 1:42 PM

Rapha Rising Challenge on Strava started yeserday.  I've gotten credit for 3500 feet so far...looking for another 2k today.
2012-07-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4314161

Master
, California

tri808 - 2012-07-16 11:42 AM Rapha Rising Challenge on Strava started yeserday.  I've gotten credit for 3500 feet so far...looking for another 2k today.

I deliberately avoided signing up for this one so I don't hurt myself Tongue out

2012-07-16 1:54 PM

Elite
Ontario

New question - indoor trainer rides.  I only get outside once a week, and the rest of the time I'm indoors - usually 2, maybe 3, times on the trainer and only for about an hour.

Just wondering what type of intensity you guys are putting out for similiar time.  I ask, because I'm wondering if I should push myself harder on these.

2012-07-16 2:12 PM

Edited by TSimone 2012-07-16 2:18 PM

2012-07-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4314204

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
GoFaster - 2012-07-16 2:54 PM

New question - indoor trainer rides.  I only get outside once a week, and the rest of the time I'm indoors - usually 2, maybe 3, times on the trainer and only for about an hour.

Just wondering what type of intensity you guys are putting out for similiar time.  I ask, because I'm wondering if I should push myself harder on these.

For shorter trainer rides i am doing almost everything at 100% or higher FTP.  Mostly V02 max or anaerobic.  1 min on/offs, 5x5's, ladders etc.

i try to mix it up as i get bored easily, but Sufferfest and Trainerroad are making it much much better though.

2012-07-16 2:18 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Neil:  I am pretty much in the same boat.  Usually get only 1 outdoor ride per week and the rest is on the trainer - between 45 minutes and 1.5 hr sessions.  I am training for Olympic and HIM races this year so my intensity is fairly high to compensate for the small amount of time I can devote to the bike.

I usually structure my week the following way:  1 recovery/aerobic ride; 1 alternating interval ride between 80-95%FTP; 1 threshold ride; and my long ride outside is usually at HIM pace or above (80-90%FTP).

I listen to my body though and back off when necessary but that is what I strive for each week on the bike.

Edited by rymac 2012-07-16 2:25 PM
2012-07-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4314262

Pro
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-16 3:13 PM

For shorter trainer rides i am doing almost everything at 100% or higher FTP.  Mostly V02 max or anaerobic.  1 min on/offs, 5x5's, ladders etc.

i try to mix it up as i get bored easily, but Sufferfest and Trainerroad are making it much much better though.

I'm about the same as this. I generally default to ladders. I've also got a program called TurboCrank which has a ton of different workouts that are all about an hour long. I won a free download, but its only $20, and worth it. You can try a workout for free on their website.

2012-07-16 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4314442

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbeswimming - 2012-07-16 4:20 PM

I'm about the same as this. I generally default to ladders. I've also got a program called TurboCrank which has a ton of different workouts that are all about an hour long. I won a free download, but its only $20, and worth it. You can try a workout for free on their website.

if you like ladder sets, you would love downward spiral, and if you have a good base built and are looking for a little kicker, a ladder set i do occasionally is a 1m-3m-9m 85/95/105% FTP,  no rest between the 1-3-9, but 10min rest between sets, i usually do 2, but have done 3.

2012-07-16 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4314459

Pro
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-16 4:28 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2012-07-16 4:20 PM

if you like ladder sets, you would love downward spiral, and if you have a good base built and are looking for a little kicker, a ladder set i do occasionally is a 1m-3m-9m 85/95/105% FTP,  no rest between the 1-3-9, but 10min rest between sets, i usually do 2, but have done 3.

I threw up a little just reading that! Thanks

2012-07-16 3:50 PM

Pro

Managed to stress myself out over my upcoming training/travel/race schedule...

...but, I figured it out. There will be a few split long rides done mid-week, an Xterra race on VERY tired legs, and a skipped day of work. But I managed to come up with solutions that are realistic.

And with that, I am happy.

2012-07-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4312680

Master
...at home in The ATL

Jason - Awesome results, Man! If you and Rudy keep it up, You may convince me to give bike racing another whirl - haven't done it in over 20 years, and not sure that I have the nerve for it any longer. I guess there is only one way to find out, right? I am interested to hear your thoughts on how your bike racing is impacting your tri results - I can only think that those kind of efforts are making you a stronger TT rider as well?

Rudy - congratulations on what sounds to me like another great race. I agree - A 24 minute 5k off that kind of bike effort is none too shabby. I suppose there are two ways to race: Go out hard and try to hold your competitors off, or go out more measured and try to run folks down. I saw a running study a few years ago that looked at winning splits from 5k, 10k, 15k, HM & Marathon races. You often read that running a negative split is a logical strategy, but this particular research implied that way more often than not in races up to the 10k distance the winning strategy was to actually run a positive split (go out hard with a little fade). I wonder if that can be extrapolated to sprint/oly distance tris, particularly if your strength is the bike? Why lay back on the bike if your run is going to be a little slower anyway?

James - I for one would count your race well into the success column. Anytime I am within an hour of the OA winner on a HIM I feel like I have done pretty well for my age and abilities. Mussleman is a tough course, and it sounds like weather played a significant factor. Are there things you think you really could have done differently to have a faster run or do you think you just got a good measure of your current fitness? Great results regardless; and knowing a bit about where you were just a little over a year ago your race seems pretty spectacular, honestly.

Great racing this past weekend everyone!

2012-07-16 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4313261

Master
...at home in The ATL

TriAya - I'm late to the game, and far from great, but I am with you in that i have never quite gotten the "engage the core" thing. It seems like it means so many different things to different people. I was able to add general "core focused" strength training to my routine two seasons ago, and will add it back just as soon as this season is over. I think the isolateral/dynamic stuff has helped me keep my form from breaking down on both the run and the swim while the more static core work has strengthened my cycling. If you watch really good cyclists and TT riders it is amazing how still and efficient their upper bodies are. I think that is partly the result of a really stable core that can withstand thousands upon thousands of tiny little corrections by the abdominals and lower back throughout the entirety of the effort that allows fixed leverage point for the hips. When you see riders really break down it seems to often manifest itself first through a breakdown of these "core" muscles causing a subsequent recruitment of the arms, shoulders, and upper back, but those forces cannot be efficiently transferred to the hips and legs through a broken-down core. Or at least that is the way that it has been explained to me.

2012-07-16 5:19 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Pretty much the same as others have stated - I mostly get assigned two kinds of rides designed for the trainer: Hard and really hard. The hard stuff is mostly over gear work, while the really hard are usually Threshold intervals or progressions (similar to the ladder as Rudy described it). FWIW, during my LT block I also do progressions on the run as well. My least favorite workouts, but also the ones that probably do me the most good. Funny how that works...

2012-07-16 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4314587

TankBoy - 2012-07-16 11:38 AM

Jason - I am interested to hear your thoughts on how your bike racing is impacting your tri results - I can only think that those kind of efforts are making you a stronger TT rider as well?

That's an interesting question.  The last 2 years, I've been mainly focusing on tris and TTs up till about June, then focusing on road racing from June to August.  When tri training, I ride about 120 mpw...but when training for bike races, I drop the running and swimming so I can ride 200+ mpw.

So naturally, if nothing else, the pure mileage increase helps my bike fitness, and thus improves my TT ability.  But if the goal was to improve my TT ability, I would be better off training 200+ mpw on my TT bike, with TT based workouts.

Road race training has improved my ability to road race.  Being able to constantly ride at different effort levels where you may absolutely red line yourself in the middle of a ride, then you have to recover and do it again.  Things you would never do to yourself in a TT.

But I don't think training in that way provides much benefit to your TT other than improved fitness.  If you want to really get better at TT'ing, you have to do TT focused workouts.  Someone like bryan who only has a TT bike can be an excellent TT'er, but have trouble in a road race with other strong riders.  And the flip side is also true...that pure road racers would have trouble hanging with Bryan in a TT.

I have spent about 80% of my training miles in the past 12 months on my road bike, training like a roadie.  My TT'ing has improved, but not nearly as much as my ability to ride with stronger roadies has.  One of my goals next year is to crack an hour (actually smash 1 hour ) at 40k, and I have already thought about how I will need to change up my training next spring to include more TT focused workouts.  Because even though my short burst 30 second to 5 minute power has increased in the past year...my 20 minute power has not increased as significantly.

2012-07-16 10:52 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

TankBoy - 2012-07-165:38 PM

James - I for one would count your race well into the success column. Anytime I am within an hour of the OA winner on a HIM I feel like I have done pretty well for my age and abilities. Mussleman is a tough course, and it sounds like weather played a significant factor. Are there things you think you really could have done differently to have a faster run or do you think you just got a good measure of your current fitness? Great results regardless; and knowing a bit about where you were just a little over a year ago your race seems pretty spectacular, honestly.

The run is my weakest event.  I need lots more work in speed and fitness here.  I also think there is always something to improve on.  For me; longer faster runs improve my distance speed.  The flip side is the recovery is much slower for me.  I have not done a lot of those types of runs by trying to keep the biking in balance.  My distance build has not been that long overall. 

Another thing to a faster run for me is my bike pacing.  That is still coming back.  Fred and I talked about a strategy for this.  Which was basically start a little easy.  I went ez for a little over 15 minutes on the bike start.  This was crucial for this particular race because of my wayward swim.  I will have to post a GatorDeb sketch of my sighting skills on this swim.  It’s quite funny now.  

My pain threshold at Musselman was near its max with my feet.  I’ll explain; while in the military I suffered from trench foot in the early 80’s.  That makes me susceptible to this in the future.  My feet basically were wet for over 5 hours and that really affected them.  I did cover my shoes with plastic in transition but the storms blew the plastic away.  I would do 2 things different here.  In the case of impending wet weather like we had.  1.  Put my shoes in a 2 gallon zip lock bag.  2.  Dry socks and carry a 2nd set of dry socks in zip lock bags on the run. 

I measure my fitness in 3 way; Aerobic, Muscular and Mental.  The swim started to test my mental state but I pulled it together.  I didn’t panic, swam to the turn buoy and swam on.  I assure you I swam way longer than 1.2 miles.  My muscular and mental state was also tested hard on the run.  After mile 4 which was over the first hill I was a hurting dog.  Several things kept going on in my head and I am sure it slowed me.  My physical condition was not doing well on the run.  I raced this course pretty much to the max.  My race result shows my weaknesses and my body feels the effort I did. 

I am very happy to have survived the day.  A day like this many more thing could have gone wrong.  For instance on a short down hill leg of the bike in a torrential rain with no breaks approaching the bottom of the hill; 2 bolts on lighten struck the lake in front of me.  Fun stuff!  I fear not but fear not to live. 
2012-07-16 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4313033

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-16 6:38 AM

Well, did the sprint tri yesterday, had a decent race.  33/550, did the swim in 13 (1/2 mile), did the bike in 28:45 (12.3 miles) and ran the 5k in about 24 mins.  The swim was average for me, the bike was best in the field and course record, the run was a bit slow.  All things considered, i had no leg pain and it feels ok today, i got bad blisters from my shoes on the back of my heels.

We then had the BeerBQ, which was awesome, had some great friends come and we ate and drank all day!!!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!!!

Super job Rudy!

You are one speed demon on the bike.  I feel your pain with the feet.   
2012-07-17 5:28 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

OK......

This is my MusselMan swim.  Sighting is everything in open water swimming.  Checking the sight and maybe re-checking is good.  This is not quite GatorDeb’s quality of work but should get the point across.  The blue line was Half-Iron swim.  The buoys are in yellow.  My actually swim was the red line. 

Notice the big zig in my swim past buoy #2.  That was not supposed to happen.  When the kayaker stopped me I was closer to buoy #4 than the turn buoy #3.  I thanked him said a few choice words and swam to the turn buoy.  I was mad but got over it in a few strokes.  I didn’t panic or try to pick up the pace but continued with the same pace until the second turn buoy. 

This was a costly mistake in time but I still swam :34 minutes with no wetsuit.  I can not compare all the swim times because a lot of people wore wetsuits.  The winner an ex-pro swam :29 minutes.  Bob Stocks a fast BT swimmer swam :32 minutes.  My overall swim position was 85.  So still a good swim.

2012-07-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4315263

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

James:  That is a tough way to start the day but sounds like you handled it pretty well and were still able to pull off an excellent swim time.  Alot of folks can let something like that ruin their entire day.  Way to move on!

Ran this morning - 80 degrees and disgusting humidity at 6:00 am.  I walked out the door and it was just on me...started sweating immediately.   My air conditioning is getting a serious workout this month...not looking forward to that bill.

Swim planned for this afternoon.  The rest of this week is devoted to the bike since I am headed to Columbus, OH to my brothers place for the weekend and won't have my bike..probably just run both days.

Anybody else getting a little bored with the TdF?  Team Skyy is just so strong and protecting Wiggins that it seems like nobody else is going to get close.  If Cadel was maybe :60 seconds back as opposed to 3 minutes I think the Mountain stage coming up would be interesting.  Wiggins and his team just look to strong and he is a beast in the TT coming up as well.  Thoughts?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108