BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-05 10:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by ChrisM

This may be available on line somewhere, but I changed a cassette for Miami last night...  first time I've changed a cassette specifically for a race.  Anyway, seems to make sense to clean it while it's off?

Can someone describe the process, including the product you use, for washing it?  ANd any tips too, i.e. do you zip tie it so you know the order of spacers etc?

On the individual cogs I just use a rag and some simple green or degreaser.  Doesn't need to be strong as it's pretty easy to come off.  For the three biggest cogs that are stuck together, some type of brush works best.  If I'm storing a cassette, definitely a zip tie to keep everything together.  Doesn't need to be in order...it's pretty obvious when you put it back on in the wrong order.

2013-10-06 5:41 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D 
11-23 sounds about right. Are you using a compact or standard?

Compact.

2013-10-07 5:12 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran

Other than the obvious "Jason will"....who do you predict will win Kona this year ?

I would like to see Kienle, but I have a feeling it will be Pete Jacobs. I say they are #1,#2

It would be nice to see Jordan Rapp get in the top 5. I would be great to see him and Kienle work together on the bike since they will come out of the water later
I would love Andreas Raelert to win it, but I doubt that's in the cards

But none of this is going to happen. Jason's gonna take it

I am watching for a work colleague of mine to win overall AG.

BTW: did you know our group has the 2nd most posts in it ? Hard to compete with the Manatees :-)

2013-10-07 6:07 AM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-07 6:10 AM

2013-10-07 6:59 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Keeping up with the Manatees would be like trying to keep up with Kienle on the bike.  

I'd like to see Kienle win but I don't think it will happen.  I predict he gets to T2 with a couple of minutes on another group of 3-4 strong riders and they will have 3-4 mins on a bigger group.  Top 5 (not in order) I would pick Crowie, Jacobs, Llanos, Kienle, Raelert.

For the women, I want Steffen to win.  I would have bet on MB Ellis if she hadn't crashed a couple of weeks ago.

Now I want to go back!

2013-10-07 7:19 AM

Master
Northern IL
I'm just curious to see how everything plays out. Remember that Starykowicz is in this year as well. He's had the stronger swim, so Kienle may not be the first to T2. I don't think he quite has the run to hold people off at this race, but he's good enough that it can cause at least some to think about it. Wonder how he'll do in the heat as he's a big guy. Could go well up there or blow up fantastically.
2013-10-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

2013-10-07 7:30 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
I forgot about him.  He'd a bit of a wildcard for sure.
2013-10-07 7:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

I forgot about him.  He'd a bit of a wildcard for sure.

I'm still putting my money on Jason
2013-10-07 7:46 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa I forgot about him.  He'd a bit of a wildcard for sure.
I'm still putting my money on Jason

Especially if the wind is nasty. Cool

2013-10-07 8:00 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1 I'm just curious to see how everything plays out. Remember that Starykowicz is in this year as well. He's had the stronger swim, so Kienle may not be the first to T2. I don't think he quite has the run to hold people off at this race, but he's good enough that it can cause at least some to think about it. Wonder how he'll do in the heat as he's a big guy. Could go well up there or blow up fantastically.

Starky will be interesting....

I don't see him doing well, although he has the bike and swim for sure.

There have been a number of pro's who have called out his IMFL bike split as being not so legit, so Kona will be a really good test.

Starky also seems to be quite disliked among many other pro's, but personally I am a fan.

Yeah, I see him fading late too. Chances are small, but there is just enough potential to make things very intriguing and get in the heads of others.

I've heard some call out the IMFL too, but other saying to knock it off with that. One in particular seems almost obsessive about every bike leader being greatly assisted regardless of what others who've been in that position have said. I try not to make too much of any one result, and that's not his only ride.

I've seen a number dislike as well, but wonder how bad it really is. Many tend to be more quiet & humble, seeming to expect everyone else to do likewise. He operates best by being extremely confident in what he does and these guys are in it to win. Compared to the majority of pros he is rather cocky, but when looking at say the NFL, NBA, or a number of other pro sports just have to smile at this. I'm definitely more the quiet type, but haven't really seen where he's been a problem. Some variety makes things more entertaining.

2013-10-07 8:11 AM

2013-10-07 8:18 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by brigby1 Yeah, I see him fading late too. Chances are small, but there is just enough potential to make things very intriguing and get in the heads of others.

I've heard some call out the IMFL too, but other saying to knock it off with that. One in particular seems almost obsessive about every bike leader being greatly assisted regardless of what others who've been in that position have said. I try not to make too much of any one result, and that's not his only ride.

I've seen a number dislike as well, but wonder how bad it really is. Many tend to be more quiet & humble, seeming to expect everyone else to do likewise. He operates best by being extremely confident in what he does and these guys are in it to win. Compared to the majority of pros he is rather cocky, but when looking at say the NFL, NBA, or a number of other pro sports just have to smile at this. I'm definitely more the quiet type, but haven't really seen where he's been a problem. Some variety makes things more entertaining.

Good thoughts.

I actually like his more aggressive personality and find his whole story compelling. I would also love to see an American take the men's Kona race. 

No question that the illegitimacy of his bike split sounds more like sour grapes from other pro's, but Kona will be the test of truth will it not?

BTW, did you know that in the Ironwar in 1989, that this same criticism was made of Mark and Dave (Drafting off a lead vehicle)??

Yes, I've heard it used to be much more of a problem back in the day.

2013-10-07 9:22 AM

I think this year's pro race is going to be awesome to see unfold.  I believe it has the perfect mix of wild card's to make the contenders take risks instead of simply running their own race.  Or it could be that all the risks taken don't pay off, and the one who does run their own race wins.

Starky has the swim/bike combo, but like Lieto, ultimately I don't think he's a factor at the finish line, but still someone you have to be aware of.  Kienle has the bike/run combo, and unless he has the swim of his life and can come out with the pros in the 54 minute area, I'm not sure he can build up a big enough lead on the bike to hold off all the top runners.  But when you combine Starky and Kienle together, that's when I would start getting worried as a top contender.

Who do I want to see win?  Kienle.  Got to pull for the biker to win.    After that I'd really cheer for Raelert to get a win.  Llanos would be a great story to cap of an unreal story, but it's so hard to peak for the entire year.

Who do I think will win?  It's hard to go against Jacobs.  If he's 100% healthy (it seems he's always dealing with injury) then it's hard to not pick him.  I'd go Kienle 2nd, and a bit of a dark horse in Tim O'Donnell 3rd.

I too hope Rapp does well, but his recent bike accident would be tough to overcome.  He did really well at the Asian Pacific championships, but that was early in the year.

2013-10-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

a bit of a dark horse in Tim O'Donnell 3rd.

I too hope Rapp does well,

I bet Jordan will be top American !

2013-10-07 9:29 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N a bit of a dark horse in Tim O'Donnell 3rd.

I too hope Rapp does well,

I bet Jordan will be top American !

I have to go with Potts just cuz he's a swimmer.

2013-10-07 9:31 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Jason, you need to get yourself out on the Queen K around the 7:30 - 8:00 point in the race to see all of this go down.  
2013-10-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4768732

Lol. Without the 30 minute head start I think I may be able to see the winner coming down palani. Hopefully I get to see the female winner finishing up.
2013-10-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4872200

Actually, even witthout the 30 minute head start therws now way I see the male winner. Crazy.
2013-10-07 11:51 AM

Extreme Veteran

Actually, even witthout the 30 minute head start therws now way I see the male winner. Crazy.

Vegas 70.3 WC was kind of cool for that. Because it's 3 loops, I got to see the top 3 females run right by me, with the motorcycle, camera and all.

2013-10-07 11:52 AM

Originally posted by axteraa

This may be available on line somewhere, but I changed a cassette for Miami last night...  first time I've changed a cassette specifically for a race.  Anyway, seems to make sense to clean it while it's off?

Can someone describe the process, including the product you use, for washing it?  ANd any tips too, i.e. do you zip tie it so you know the order of spacers etc?

I've never cleaned one so I'm no help.

What cassette are you using?  I switched to an 11-23 for Miami.

Smallest (largest?) I have is a 12-25, but I am currently running a standard crank.  An 11-23 would be better, but don't do many flat races so not going to go buy a cassette just for that. 

Same boat for a speedsuit for the swim.  I've never done a non wetsuit legal race, and don't plan on doing many, so not going to buy a speedsuit just for Miami.  Wondering how bad the swim will be in tribibs and a tri top....

2013-10-07 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

On the individual cogs I just use a rag and some simple green or degreaser.  Doesn't need to be strong as it's pretty easy to come off.  For the three biggest cogs that are stuck together, some type of brush works best.  If I'm storing a cassette, definitely a zip tie to keep everything together.  Doesn't need to be in order...it's pretty obvious when you put it back on in the wrong order.

Thanks Jason and all.  How often do you guys all clean your cassettes?

Oh, and re the bolded, I've only taken off the cassette a couple times, do they all have a spacer between each individual cog?  That was what I was worried about keeping it in order, but if there's a spacer for every cog, that isn't an issue

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-07 11:54 AM
2013-10-07 11:53 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N Actually, even witthout the 30 minute head start therws now way I see the male winner. Crazy.

What are your ballpark swim and bike estimated times?  You need to find a way to get yourself on camera!

2013-10-07 11:55 AM

Torhans VR came in Saturday.   For those users (just MArc?) did you have to get a longer screw from the LBS to mount it?  The way the mount sits on the seat tube, the screw isn't long enough to reach the boss.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.