General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-11-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
What a week!!! Finished it - my first IM - in BestCaseScenario time for me: 12:13:49. Report in brief:

Swim: Faster and less chaotic than I expected. Based on stories and the insane chop on Friday, I thought it'd be so much worse. Had 2 clean laps in at 1:06.

T1: Walked the whole time into the changing area - WHOA. Naked clusterf#*k in there. I added to it, chilled, lubed and got out in about 15 minutes.

Bike: Felt OK. Averaged 18 reminding myself to save a lot for mary later. Passed by so many people...Peed 6, yes 6, times - every 10 miles from 50 -100. Think the stretch helped.

T2: Another packed house in there. Mild cramps changing shoes, so I just sat for 2-3 minutes to relax.

Run: Ran first 1/4 at 8:30s before leg fatigue kicked in. Tried to run 4/walk 1 from there. Maintained 10-12 minutes and before you know it: I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!!

Went home, showered, came back out from 10:30 - 12:00 to cheer people in. That was awesome!! So rewarding. Bought too much gear on Sunday and back to work this week.

Now what??

2010-11-10 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3205270

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Akrakowski - 2010-11-10 3:57 PM What a week!!! Finished it - my first IM - in BestCaseScenario time for me: 12:13:49. Report in brief: Swim: Faster and less chaotic than I expected. Based on stories and the insane chop on Friday, I thought it'd be so much worse. Had 2 clean laps in at 1:06. T1: Walked the whole time into the changing area - WHOA. Naked clusterf#*k in there. I added to it, chilled, lubed and got out in about 15 minutes. Bike: Felt OK. Averaged 18 reminding myself to save a lot for mary later. Passed by so many people...Peed 6, yes 6, times - every 10 miles from 50 -100. Think the stretch helped. T2: Another packed house in there. Mild cramps changing shoes, so I just sat for 2-3 minutes to relax. Run: Ran first 1/4 at 8:30s before leg fatigue kicked in. Tried to run 4/walk 1 from there. Maintained 10-12 minutes and before you know it: I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!! Went home, showered, came back out from 10:30 - 12:00 to cheer people in. That was awesome!! So rewarding. Bought too much gear on Sunday and back to work this week. Now what??

Congrats, Neighbor!  We were watching your splits during the race.  Very impressive.

First thing post-race, come over for a beer and spill the unvarnished details.

Second thing post race, get on Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan.  :-)
2010-11-11 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
Finally managed to grab a moment to give a bit of an update. Will do a RR later. I'm back in the cold and windy UK (bit like Florida!) and was straight back to work.

I've had time to reflect a bit more on my race now. At first I was a little disappointed that I didn't beat my previous IM time. However, I accomplished my main goal and that was to finish. I'm still an Ironman, and I'm proud of my race.

The swim went better than expected. Got bashed around a little but that was expected. On the 2nd loop the current pushed my right into the buoys on the way out and then I was well away from everyone on the way back. The velcro on the back of my wetsuit rubbed all the skin off the back of my neck so I was having trouble sighting properly. Will have to fix that for next year!

I took ages in T1 mainly cos I was trying to get tight clothes onto a wet body! Didn't have any help as it was packed in there.

The bike was OK but I got fed up of the wind after a bit although it was nice to get the tailwind now and again.

On the run I was hurting from the start. Legs just didn't want to move. I ran most of the way on the 1st loop but when the sun went down I got really cold. I caught Douglas (dkrrt) up around mile 14/15 and we walked together. When we then tried to run our legs just said NO.

I hated the park on the 2nd loop. It was so dark in there. On that first stretch we found someone lying down in the grass. They said they were so cold that they were giving up and had asked the truck to go and get a blanket. She was on her 2nd loop so only had about 7 miles to go and had plenty of time to complete. We managed to get her up and told her to walk with us but then the truck turned up with a big plastic bag for her to wear and also some chicken broth. We left her at that point. I didn't see her number, so don't know if she finished or not. I really hope it wasn't a DNF.

Douglas and I crossed the finish line together. We had talked about it as we went round and eventually decided to do it that way. I was so glad that we did as we helped each other through those last painfully cold miles. Don't think I've ever been so cold! But hey, it was worth it as I'm an Ironman

Well done to everyone. What a journey we've all been through together.
2010-11-11 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Jane - Congratulations IronMan!

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one shuffleing/suffering along in the cold.  I've almost forgotten that part by now though.  Amazing how fast the body forgets hurting.

The way I figure it is, if you did the best you could with what you had on race day, that's an accomplishment.

Congratulations on finishing!
2010-11-12 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3207271

User image

Race pics are up!  130 bucks to download the images...wow
2010-11-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3209176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
krashockey - 2010-11-12 10:30 PM Race pics are up!  130 bucks to download the images...wow

ASI sucks to high heaven.  There are only 7 photos of me, none of which are on the bike (although I did find a lost and found bike picture).  None of which are very good.

2010-11-13 9:44 AM

Regular
Bedford, IN
Anyone see the sign in the store that said they only got a half order in of the men's black finisher jackets and they would send out an eblast to let us know when the rest of the order came in? I thought it would be this week but haven't seen or heard anything?
2010-11-13 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3209348

User image

Veteran
Kansas
bzvbtc - 2010-11-13 9:44 AM Anyone see the sign in the store that said they only got a half order in of the men's black finisher jackets and they would send out an eblast to let us know when the rest of the order came in? I thought it would be this week but haven't seen or heard anything?

I sent an email in asking the same thing. I understand that the there is a limited number of Ironman Finisher consumers so they don't want to over-order items, but I don't get why getting finisher clothing is a bigger pain than doing the actual race.  Why not have a set number of products at the Expo store and then an order form where people can fill out an order right then and there and pay and then have it shipped.  It was pretty clear that the Finisher Jacket is the hot item and they can sell at least 2x more than the 300 that were available at the store. 

Hope to hear something soon as well. 
2010-11-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3209423

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

cjkelly0729 - 2010-11-13 12:00 PM
bzvbtc - 2010-11-13 9:44 AM Anyone see the sign in the store that said they only got a half order in of the men's black finisher jackets and they would send out an eblast to let us know when the rest of the order came in? I thought it would be this week but haven't seen or heard anything?

I sent an email in asking the same thing. I understand that the there is a limited number of Ironman Finisher consumers so they don't want to over-order items, but I don't get why getting finisher clothing is a bigger pain than doing the actual race.  Why not have a set number of products at the Expo store and then an order form where people can fill out an order right then and there and pay and then have it shipped.  It was pretty clear that the Finisher Jacket is the hot item and they can sell at least 2x more than the 300 that were available at the store. 

Hope to hear something soon as well. 

You could still but finisher stuff from 2009 last month.  Check the ironman florida site and click on store.  With 1900 men in the race you would think they would order more than 300....................DU-OH

2010-11-13 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
So I went to the doc yesterday to have him look at my right knee/leg and apparently I have a minor stress fracture! How awesome is that!? My left knee was bothering me before the race for a couple weeks but I was just hoping it was training fatigue, but apparently the shooting pain I felt in my leg at mile 20 on the run was the tipping point and there's a stress fracture in my fibula about five inches below my knee. No running for 5-6 weeks but he said I'm okay to still swim and bike and that my knee joint looked okay. Hopefully it should heal up itself without the need of any medical intervention. What have I learned from this? more run volume next time!
2010-11-14 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3209569

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Hey guys, I made a little you tube video of some of my pics from IMFLA 2010  if anyone is interested.  I know I spent countless hours looking at other peoples videos before the race so I thought I would share.

This is my first attempt at something like this, but I am happy with the result.  I can't figure out how to get the speaker icon off of two slides, I don't have enough bike pics and the quality on you tube doesn't do some of the real pics in power point justice, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCO1clGIvE

p.s. - Thanks for the quote jashac!!

Edited by LSUfan4444 2010-11-14 8:54 AM

2010-11-14 9:06 AM

User image

New user

Milwaukee WI
Hey friends,

Regarding the finish, I am so happy that I finished. After you DNF on your very first attempt on an extremely hard course SG UT, you go into the race with a totally different perspective and if you finish it takes on a whole different meaning. It is one thing to easily get across the finish line your first time, if there is such a thing in an Ironman, but to totally fail, face your fears only 6 months later and then suceed made it unbelievable, because there is the law of contrast in effect of contrast of one extreme in contrast to the other.

Finish/Finisher merchandise

I so wanted to video of the moment. Like usual I knew even though some of my family was able to make it, the ones that did would get the finish all screwed up and would not even be there, when I crossed. As I approached that is exactely I said to myself, "I bet they are not even there again and if so why do I keep bringing them?" Anyway I was right I crossed, alone, It was wonderful to hear the announcers voice call out my name. I was only sad for a second, then the more that reality set in about what I just had done, the more I did not care who was there and who was not, because I had been doing this to make some things right with myself anyway. I thought as cold as it is this time I have to cut them some slack, but if it had been my husband, dad, etc, I would have made sure I would have dressed appropriately and been there, it is not like they could not have gone back and got warmer clothes. When my friend, did the IMWI, I waited for several hours for him at the finish and got the whole finish for him on my video, and it was not easy to spot him in the dark, but this how I am with friends and family. I really needed some help because I was in pain and the cold was making it rapidly worse. I went over to the massage tent, and they let use their phone to call them, when I located them by phone in the hotel warming up. They redeemed themselves to some extent that evening and in the morning by doing me the huge favor of gong down and waiting in line to get me the finisher merchandise that I wanted.

Video

There was a live feed of the finish line. I have no Idea, why they did not record it and give people a copy for free or sell people a copy. They could make a ton of money off that. A friend said she was at home and watched me cross the finish line. HERE IS THE MILLION DOLLARS QUESTION......THERE ARE WAYS TO RECORD THAT OFF YOUR COMPUTER, THERE MUST BE SOMEONE SOMEWHERE OUT OF 2500 PEOPLE THAT RECORDED THAT, WHERE WE CAN POSSIBLE GET SOME OF THEIR VIDEO OF US?

IF ANYONE AS ANY VIDEO OF THE FINISH LINE AROUND THE TIME OF 10:15:09 BEFORE OR AFTER, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN GETTING A COPY OF IT ESPECIALLY IF IT SHOWS ME, OR MY NAME IS HEARD AND I WOULD PAY YOU FOR IT. I would greatly appreciate help or any other ideas. In fact I know for a fact that there is video somewhere floating around either at WTC or somewhere of the entire finish line from start to finish, probably from that feed, as they document everything, such as people that were "bandit runners" and continued on, or snuck back onto the course when they were not supposed, so they have the proof they need to rightfully ban people that have seriously violated the rules.

Anyway sorry for the long post, Congratulations to all!!

2010-11-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3210078

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-14 9:29 AM Hey guys, I made a little you tube video of some of my pics from IMFLA 2010  if anyone is interested.  I know I spent countless hours looking at other peoples videos before the race so I thought I would share.

This is my first attempt at something like this, but I am happy with the result.  I can't figure out how to get the speaker icon off of two slides, I don't have enough bike pics and the quality on you tube doesn't do some of the real pics in power point justice, but here it is.

Awesome vid, dude!  I love it all, except for the tri kit you were wearing (GO GATORS!)  ;-

Congrats
2010-11-14 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3210135

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
On a day my Tigers beat Bama, it was perfect.. Cool
2010-11-14 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=63701&BIB=266

I clearly have WAY too much time on my hands these days.  Apparently the "incident" happened more than 7 miles from the finish line.  He beat the next place person by 3 minutes.  surely he had time to wash himself.  Can you imagine being his finish line catcher!  ewwww!

Should have my race report posted later this evening.  just want to read it over one more time.

Edited by Daffodil 2010-11-14 5:09 PM
2010-11-14 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3210445

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
He passed me in the park on his second loop when I was on my first.  I believe he finished in just over 9 hours and qualified for Kona.

Not saying I'd do the same, but I can understand.

2010-11-14 6:32 PM

New user

LSUFan, I actaully ran with you for a few miles.  We were back in the park on the 2nd loop.  You can partially see me in one of your pictures.  Great talking with you during the run and CONGRATS!!
2010-11-14 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3210523

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
jgrunow - 2010-11-14 6:32 PM LSUFan, I actaully ran with you for a few miles.  We were back in the park on the 2nd loop.  You can partially see me in one of your pictures.  Great talking with you during the run and CONGRATS!!

I am grateful for all the company and conversation I had throughout the run.  It really made for special memories.
2010-11-15 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Just an FYI, I trolled through the lost and found section on ASI photos and found 1 each of swim, bike, and run photos of myself.  In order to get them added to my album so they were part of the digital download that I bought, all I had to do was email Jennifer as listed on the website, and she added them right away.  She was very nice in that I initially told her the wrong bib number, so they got uploaded to the wrong person, and when I admitted to being an idiot, she quickly fixed it.  BUT, the most awesome part was that I could not locate my finish medal photo at all, even in lost and found (I clicked through every single page), and when I asked, she was able to come up with it and add it to my album.  Yeah!  It was cute too!  Say what you want about the quantity or quality of photos, or the cost, but Jennifer was very very nice and helpful, especially considering that I paid on site, so they already had my money without having to lift a finger. 
2010-11-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3211665

User image

Elite
SE
Thats cool. Did you get the downloadable link emailed to you yet? I paid on-site and didn't yet and figured they would get it to me within 5 days of the notification email.
2010-11-15 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3211675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
phatknot - 2010-11-15 1:58 PM Thats cool. Did you get the downloadable link emailed to you yet? I paid on-site and didn't yet and figured they would get it to me within 5 days of the notification email.

I don't think I got the link yet.  My husband and I were on one order form, so I think it may go to his email.  I just wanted to make sure my album was in order before we got the link. 

2010-11-15 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3210078

User image

Veteran
Kansas
LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-14 8:29 AM Hey guys, I made a little you tube video of some of my pics from IMFLA 2010  if anyone is interested.  I know I spent countless hours looking at other peoples videos before the race so I thought I would share.

Great video.  Awesome job out there. 

2010-11-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3211714

User image

Veteran
Kansas
ras26 - 2010-11-15 1:17 PM
phatknot - 2010-11-15 1:58 PM Thats cool. Did you get the downloadable link emailed to you yet? I paid on-site and didn't yet and figured they would get it to me within 5 days of the notification email.

I don't think I got the link yet.  My husband and I were on one order form, so I think it may go to his email.  I just wanted to make sure my album was in order before we got the link. 

Havent got my link either and I purchased on site as well to get the discount. 
2010-11-15 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3211832

User image

Elite
SE
weird. i got my link just now.
2010-11-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3210445

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Daffodil - 2010-11-14 6:08 PMhttp://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=63701&BIB=266

I clearly have WAY too much time on my hands these days.  Apparently the "incident" happened more than 7 miles from the finish line.  He beat the next place person by 3 minutes.  surely he had time to wash himself.  Can you imagine being his finish line catcher!  ewwww!

Should have my race report posted later this evening.  just want to read it over one more time.
It was even earlier than that on his run. He passed me in the first 3 miles of my run on his second loop, so he ran at least 10 miles like that.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104