BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-12-08 3:39 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by axteraa

I usually upload to Youtube but set the privacy so that you can only see it if you have the direct link.  

OK, here goes my first YouTube upload attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzr69DUhJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEl9mQEoWLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1Ift-J5Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCof3AO7wnM

These all should have the title "OMG I never dreamed I looked that bad".  Some of the initial input is that I definitely need to work on balance and rotation before I even start working on my pull and kick.  Head slightly up (carryover from sighting in races I think) drops the hips, need to level things out instead of swimming uphill, stop the serpentine motions (seen from overhead) and keep my shoulders, hips and feet within a tighter cyclinder, initiate rotation from hips rather than when I take a breath, and the embarassingly exaggerated scissors-kick.....lots of stuff to work on.  Quest for 1:05 is on.

Hey Jim Great videos.

Some things that jump out to me are; Try dropping your head a bit and get your hips up. Almost like you are pushing your butt to the surface. It helps to tighten the core and feel like you are squeezing your butt checks together. In the catch pull straight down keeping the elbow a bit higher. You are pulling wide and more so with the left arm. The right hand needs to be kept closed and slightly cupped. You are wiggling a bit, rotation help this. Try driving the rotation with the hips then think on putting your hand through a circle in front of your head for the catch. Kick is wide but try fixing the other stuff. I think rotation will also help the kick.

2014-12-08 4:57 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Jason N

The difficulties of outdoor riding in Hawaii this time of year...  

Please return your "Man Card" ASAP.

Your membership has been revoked ;-)

I'll gladly turn it in...along with this snow shovel I never seem to use.  

2014-12-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-12-08 10:02 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Did the first longer run (with Kim - The Better Half) today - just over 10.  I'd almost forgotten the feeling of a distance run - a different kind of "pain."  I use quotes because it's not really pain, just that mix of tired and little achy that comes from pushing distance and is different from pushing speed.

Anyone else get that after pushing distance up?

All in, though, it really felt great to just keep running.  How was everyone else's training this weekend?  Still in off-season mode, or starting to structure toward races?

Matt

Matt, good to see you in the mix again. Nice work on the run. I think you are doing a early half this coming season correct? Anyway nice to see you posting. I enjoy your witty posts. As far as my training. I will be starting a 100/100 runs on the 15th as a part of the ST challenge. Should be fun as I also have challenged myself to do a 13.1 mile run once a month throughout the winter and spring. I am also looking forward to seeing how I fair with ST folks. Couple of other things with the 100/100 challenge that I have committed too are; all outdoors runs, minimum of 3 miles and straight 100 days of runs.

Thanks James - great to be settled down enough to jump back in (to training, BT, other stuff).  I have a triple Oly distance at the end of June.  So far, it's the only tri on my schedule, but I'll find a few others in TX over the season.  Have a HM lined up in January (that I'm late in starting training for, so it'll be a slower race, but good to be back at it). Looking for interim/warmup races...

Still have to find a way to cycle around here, but there has to be a way to solve for that.  Thinking of getting a coach, too, as I am in new territory going over HIM distance (and I was hardly on solid ground there!).

Interesting reading all the posts here on the 100/100 challenge.  Funny thing is that I'd like to do it, but now that I'm thinking tri for next season, I have too much work to do on the bike and in the pool after my extended off-season that I think it'd limit my ability to do what I think I need (not going to add any more stress than necessary to my life!).

Matt

2014-12-09 2:27 AM

Master
, California

Agree. Looks like your hips are way too low.

I posted this in the main forum, but would appreciate your thoughts?

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

I think this directly relates to Jim's swimming, as the article addresses PB for good and not so good swimmers.

I'm as guilty as anyone with slacking on my pool time.  But I agree when he says:

So I don’t know how I can convince the average age-group swimmer that the ability to regularly put in the miles and enjoy swim training is the biggest ‘technique’ one must acquire.

But then in all his examples he talks about sub-hour IM swimmers.  Sorry but *of course* they aren't hurting themselves using the pull buoy all the time.  They already have great position in the water.

A wetsuit is buoyant but not really the same.  The pull buoy is good for a couple of specific things.  If you're using it, you should be actively working on one of those:

1) Sinking legs.  The buoy puts your hips on the surface so you can feel how to swim "downhill".  I'd recommend alternating sets: with buoy, then without.  Try to make them the same.  Occasionally add in the dreaded ankle-band drill.

2) Out-of-control or unbalanced kick.  The buoy takes your legs out of it.  This not only eliminates the kick but frees up your rotation, forcing correct hand entry, proper breathing and use of your core.  To really clean up the kick, you also need to learn the rhythm from a coach, or by watching a good swimmer.  When you do more sets without the buoy, focus on keeping the legs together like you're still holding it.  And maintain the timing to assist your rotation.  It's not just a random flutter.

So anyhow, yes, do what makes you happy and get in the pool more often.  And I wouldn't even be opposed to someone using it for, say, half their workout.  But sometimes we have to suck it up and work on something difficult to improve.

2014-12-09 2:55 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

I saw another interesting comment on ST that caught my attention... because my opinion differs:

I've noticed triathletes often reach for the pullbuoy when they start to get tired, when what they should be doing is focussing on trying to keep a similar body position, whether they are kicking hard or just doing a 2 beat kick.

Well, guess what, if you start getting tired you can't pull as hard and you slow down.  Imagine dragging a rope through the water fast... it stays level.  Slow down and the end of it drops.  The same thing can happen to your legs.  It causes a vicious cycle (arms tired -> slow down -> legs drop and cause drag -> slow down more -> etc).  So if the problem is arm fatigue and you're trying to build up your endurance, then I don't have a problem with some buoy sets towards the end of the workout.

Edited by spudone 2014-12-09 2:55 AM
2014-12-09 3:33 AM
in reply to: spudone

Elite
PEI, Canada

The PB debate is an interesting one to me.  It has been a crutch for me for a long time.  When I swam in University I was just pack fodder, nothing remarkable at all but give me a PB and suddenly I was swimming sets with the guys going to Olympic trials.  My coach was very anti-PB though and we almost never used them.

Mark's last comment about going to them when tired is very applicable to me as well, it's like a drug calling my name when I'm part way though a tough set and starting to struggle.  Even more so when I'm only swimming once or twice per week and not in good swim shape.  If I get in a few weeks of 3x then the reliance tends to be less.

For Jim, I agree that a PB could be a big help to get used to getting in a good position to improve your pull and body position.  You are losing a lot of power transfer because you don't get a proper rotation and catch that would let you engage your lats and core.  The comments from the others on head position etc are spot on as well.

2014-12-09 7:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Wasn't the tired issue one of Filliol's bullet points as well? Seem to remember something like not going for it just because one is tiring, but do use it if one would otherwise be swimming with poor form. The tipping point there is something I've struggled with, as in how much form loss before reaching for it.

2014-12-09 7:39 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by axteraa

For Jim, I agree that a PB could be a big help to get used to getting in a good position to improve your pull and body position.  You are losing a lot of power transfer because you don't get a proper rotation and catch that would let you engage your lats and core.  The comments from the others on head position etc are spot on as well.

Thanks to everyone for comments on my videos.  One thing the PB does is that it makes me much more aware of that side to side swaying of the hips (serpentine motion) that is typical of the Arnie type swimmer like myself (although my upper body is not muscular like some of the description, Jorge puts me in this category)

2014-12-09 10:18 AM

2014-12-09 10:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

I am really wanting more peanut butter ...

2014-12-09 11:12 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
The most valuable piece of swimming advice I can give to everyone is sumed in one word, hydrodynamic. The best way to practice this in a freestyle stroke is push off the wall go into the streamline position also called front glide and superman. Then start swimming but with each stroke return to the streamline position. This is a slow exercise and the main purpose is the return streamline position. I still use this to keep my muscle memory in shape.
2014-12-09 2:18 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri The most valuable piece of swimming advice I can give to everyone is sumed in one word, hydrodynamic. The best way to practice this in a freestyle stroke is push off the wall go into the streamline position also called front glide and superman. Then start swimming but with each stroke return to the streamline position. This is a slow exercise and the main purpose is the return streamline position. I still use this to keep my muscle memory in shape.

So, do your legs sink or are you kicking pretty hard to keep in the right position?  Even when I do catch-up drills (similar to what you suggest, but maybe with less of a pause?), I find that I have to up the strength of my kick or I start to get lower in the water and waaay more draggy.  Seems that would defeat the purpose?

Just trying to understand the particulars, as I might try this tomorrow.

As for the PB, I don't often use it.  For me, it's usually planned as the second half of a long workout on a day when I knew my fatigue would be so high that if I did the workout without it, my form would $uck by the end (and from the group's discussion over the past couple years, I now work very hard to keep my form as tight as possible in the pool.  If only it were better to begin with!).  So, usually only PB during a big build week.

Matt

2014-12-09 3:37 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Yes you have to kick. Those with weak kick will struggle and should compensate with maybe a strong kick pull to the next streamline position.

2014-12-09 4:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri Yes you have to kick. Those with weak kick will struggle and should compensate with maybe a strong kick pull to the next streamline position.

I've heard small fins (like zoomers) may be of help here to help get something going. More so with other drills that don't have a more regular pull going on, but maybe here too?

2014-12-09 5:45 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by BrotherTri Yes you have to kick. Those with weak kick will struggle and should compensate with maybe a strong kick pull to the next streamline position.

I've heard small fins (like zoomers) may be of help here to help get something going. More so with other drills that don't have a more regular pull going on, but maybe here too?

Yeah Zoomers can helping but then again you want to feel the water. Zoomers are a tempo fin. Most kick issues are du to poor ankle flexablity and larger fins can help that. Kicking in swimming is with the thighs, gluts and hamstrings muscles. You should apply equally force down as up. I offten tell people it like kicking a ball. The power comes from the thigh then a snap at the knee to hit the ball with the top of the foor. Most are weaker at bring the leg back up which is controlled by the hamstring and gluts. A good way to balance this is kick set on the side.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-12-09 5:52 PM
2014-12-09 7:22 PM

Champion
Pineapple Express is in town. Ruining my chance to gain skills at skiing and skating but it was nice to run with a T shirt on today!!

I'm now at T-7days before I find out about emergggggggggg. Not that I'm counting or anything.

T-9 days till Mauiiiiiiii. Also not counting....

2014-12-09 9:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah Zoomers can helping but then again you want to feel the water. Zoomers are a tempo fin. Most kick issues are du to poor ankle flexablity and larger fins can help that. Kicking in swimming is with the thighs, gluts and hamstrings muscles. You should apply equally force down as up. I offten tell people it like kicking a ball. The power comes from the thigh then a snap at the knee to hit the ball with the top of the foor. Most are weaker at bring the leg back up which is controlled by the hamstring and gluts. A good way to balance this is kick set on the side.

I was thinking just to get through the drill or other skill work where the pace would otherwise fall off significantly without a decent enough kick to keep it going. I never actually did use fins of any kind during a drill and was curious of other's thoughts. For actual kick development, yeah, that's another thing.

Edited by brigby1 2014-12-09 9:28 PM
2014-12-10 6:41 AM

2014-12-10 7:41 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Larger fins are something I am cautious with, as I feel that they can aggravate ankle and achiles issues, well at least in me.

I occasionally use fins, but usually regret it later.

That it can. Lager surface area = more resistance. Here is a good video to improve ankle flexible.....

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1939&mid=9757...

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-12-10 7:42 AM

2014-12-11 9:46 AM

Elite
Ontario

Jumping back into the conversations as I went MIA with some other interests and projects over the past number of weeks.  Finding that training has really dropped off lately, likely it's lowest level for a while, but needed to focus on other things + lost a bit of desire.  Trying to claw my way back, and I'm going to race an indoor tri on Saturday with my 10 year old.  15min swim/15min bike (electronic stationary bike)/15min run (200M indoor track) - gonna get my a$$ handed to me, but that's ok.  It's a good testing point, and they will have another one in Feb and I'll see if I want to race it or not.

2014-12-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Seattle

For those interested, here is my race report for my marathon

2014-12-11 12:41 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome back, Neil.  I was a bit MIA and am making my comeback today as well

Right after Thanksgiving, I came down with a nasty sinus infection.  I had a vacation to NYC planned, where we were planning to do much of our sightseeing by running, but that sinus infection really did a number on me.  I felt as miserable as I can remember for Sunday through the following Sunday (with the trip being Wednesday through Wednesday).  So between feeling as miserable as possible and actual freezing temperatures [once again -- no idea how those of you who deal with real winters do it!!], I decided to try to be smart and recover by not running.

And then after a week of not running (coming off a disappointing race) and being sick, I've found it difficult to be motivated to start back up.  I'm planning to run tonight....and actually meeting with a running coach tomorrow to see if we can work through this stagnant phase....and then using ST's 100/100 challenge to try to find some motivation.  I haven't any plans to ride or swim for the rest of the month....hoping this will help the running and allow me to get over being burned out and unmotivated.

2014-12-11 1:49 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Seattle
Welcome back Neil and Nicole. Sounds like you guys are in similar spots in terms of motivation. It also sounds like you guys have some things in place to get you back into it.Neil the race with your ten year old sounds awesome!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38121 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73544 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.