General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For women: An attire question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-28 7:15 AM

User image

New user

Subject: For women: An attire question

I have my very first Danskin Tri in 2 weeks.  What can I expect others to be wearing?  I did buy a pair of 6" Zoot trifit shorts and hate them...my thighs and that elastic is NOT a good combination!

I have a great fitting TYR suit- but would I want to run in that?

HELP!  Ready to shop but don't know for what!

2008-08-28 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1634053

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: For women: An attire question
csabatella - 2008-08-28 8:15 AM

I have my very first Danskin Tri in 2 weeks.  What can I expect others to be wearing?  I did buy a pair of 6" Zoot trifit shorts and hate them...my thighs and that elastic is NOT a good combination!

I have a great fitting TYR suit- but would I want to run in that?

HELP!  Ready to shop but don't know for what!

This is the same for guys as well.  Get a tri-suit/ tri shirt/shorts that you like and go with that.  No one will care what you look like out there.

You will see people of every size, shape and configuration.  They will all be focused on their race not what everyone else is wearing.

2008-08-28 7:19 AM

User image

Master
NJ
I'd say go with what's comfortable. If the tri suit offers enough support on the run, go for it. If not, get a wicking sports bra to wear underneath for the entire race. I usually race in a wicking sports bra and tri shorts - it's whats comfy. Good luck and enjoy the race - in Sandy Hook I assume??? If so, there will be TONS of women wearing TONS of different things. It's really about whats comfortable for you.
2008-08-28 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Is there a tri store near you where you can try things on to see what works best. REI has some tri clothes if there is one close by.

I wear tri shorts, sports bra and tri top. You just need to find what fits you best. I like tri shorts that are supportive so less jiggle. 

2008-08-28 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1634092

User image

New user

Thanks...

Maybe I do need tri shorts with better compression-any suggestions?

2008-08-28 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO

Just did my first tri on Sunday... and aside from looking for other racers wearing the purple "Team in Training" tops so I could cheer for them, I can't remember what anyone else was wearing.

I do know what you mean about the tight elastic on the legs of the tri shorts.  My bike shorts were never that tight around the thighs. But unless it is actually uncomfortable I wouldn't worry about it. No one will be looking/judging.  I'm assuming the Tyr suit is just a swim suit... personally I couldn't imagine riding the bike in a swim suit -- too much chafing. Hmm, probably too much chafing on the run too. And I'd have to wear a sports bra anyway, so it wouldn't be a possibility for me.  If you are really considering the Tyr suit, try a brick in it first to see how it feels.

2008-08-28 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1634113

User image

Champion
MA
csabatella - 2008-08-28 8:40 AM

Thanks...

Maybe I do need tri shorts with better compression-any suggestions?

Here are some of my favorites... 

I have Oomph! , DeSoto and Louis Garneau

In looking on line if you see word power in the shorts description usually it means it is supportive. Oomph is my favorite and they offer other shorts that are longer but more money.

Edited by KathyG 2008-08-28 7:49 AM
2008-08-28 7:52 AM

You will see women doing the tri in a wide range of attire.  I am sure you will see people in tri-shorts and tops (for the whole event - no changing clothes) and then also people who swim in a bathing suit and then put on shorts to bike and run.  Or even just wearing a bathing suit for the whole thing.  For my first one, I wore a bathing suit and just put on running shorts for the bike and run.  Now I can't imagine biking in running shorts -- not comfortable!

The tri-shorts are a great thing -- maybe try another brand.  I wear mine all the time and I find them more comfortable than bike shorts for shorter rides.   But I understand if you don't want to spend a lot of money on your first tri.  Whatever you decide, make sure you try it out before race day.  That's not when you want to find out that your bathing suit doesn't have enough support to run in.

Here is a website that takes photos at triathlons.  It may help you to look at some pictures to see what people are wearing.  www.birdseyeview.net

Good luck on your first race!

2008-08-28 8:30 AM

Veteran
NC

For my first couple of sprints, I just wore my tight one piece speedo and regular spandex over top for the swim, bike, and run.  Beware of the bounce factor - if that tends to be a problem for you, go with tri top and sports bra and tri shorts.   

That said, my favorite race day apparel now consists of a pair of tri shorts and a tri top with a sports bra underneath.   

2008-08-28 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
you will see a WIDE variety of clothes at Danskin.  I would suggest...1-I good supportive bra if you need one 2-Clothes that are comformable to you and do not Chafe.  3-Its a sprint....you might make a small clothing error but it will be a learning experience for your next race and the race is short so no worries 4-Danskin has a nice line of clothes that you can check out at their expo.  go to their online store first and see what you might like ot check out at the expo 5-GOOD LUCK 6-HAVE AN AWESOME TIME
2008-08-28 8:44 AM

User image

New user
North of Boston

I have a lot of experience watching women... At Danskin and other triathlons... I see several standard configurations, in approximate decreasing frequency...

• One piece bathing suits - often with bike/tri shorts and sometimes a top of some sort pulled over in T1.
  • Tri/Bike shorts + top - tops vary widely from tri-specific lycra-like T-shirt shaped tops to tube tops to anything in between.
  • Tri Suits - one piece outfit - basically connected shorts and tri top, sometimes with an additional top over.

Many women wear sports bras under any of the above for additional support.

Particularly at the Danskin events, which draw a lot of first-timers, you'll see an incredible range of outfits. Things settle out a bit if you get to longer events that often draw a more experienced crowd.

Whatever you choose, try it out before race day. Get wet if you can - in the backyard pool or even the shower - and see how it performs on the bike and a run.  You don't want to find out on race day that that great looking top goes transparent when wet or that the pad in those bike shorts feel like a diaper when you try to run in them.

2008-08-28 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1634296

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My favorite tri attire happens to be a Danksin trisuit.  Even though I've never actually done a Danksin tri - I bought it at REI.    I love that thing, very comfortable and made for a normal woman.  I wear a quick drying sports bra underneath, although the top has a pretty good built-in shelf. 

I also bought a pair (maybe Zoots...) of tri shorts that I hate and never have worn.  I saw another girl wearing them at a race and they were pretty bad on her too, so I'm blaming the shorts  

Whatever you do, make sure you try running in the outfit when it's wet.  Have fun!

2008-08-28 8:47 AM

User image

Master
PA

I wear the Zoot 6" trishorts and a 2XU tri tank top with the built in bra.  Both are mediums and are quite tight (I'm 5'7, and wear a size 4 in most pants, just to give you an idea of sizing).  I don't need any extra support (fortunately for tris, unfortunately for rest of life!).  I do have a zoot one piece trisuit that I like which smoothes everything out better, but going to the bathroom is a total pain.  You have to pull the entire thing down.  I wear it sometimes for sprints but would probably not wear it for anything longer than a sprint.  It will be hard to get away from some muffin top no matter which tri shorts you pick, so just keep that in mind.

One of my good friends wears a regular bathing suit with a sports bra underneath, then throws on a pair of running shorts overtop in T1.  Sometimes she throws a tank on over the suit as well in T1, but not if it's really hot.   Don't worry about how you look, no one is even paying attention, or cares even if they do notice. 

fwiw, i've done 6 tris and worn something different at every single one b/c i haven't quite nailed what i like yet.  the latest, zoot shorts & 2xu top is the best and i'll probably stick with that now.  But it can take awhile to figure it out.

2008-08-28 9:20 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You mentioned the elastic being tight on your thighs... you might want to try a pair of tri shorts withOUT the elastic grippers. I believe the DeSoto brand shorts are without grippers. But if they are not tight ENOUGH, they will slide up.

Good luck in your first tri!
2008-08-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1634130

User image

New user

I will definitely check these out today online!!

Great info-can't thank you enough!

2008-08-28 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I like to wear a tri top and a tri splice(Zoot). I'm a minimalist type o girl.

2008-08-28 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Have you tried flipping the elastic up so that it doesn't "grab" as much?  I'm on Team Zoot/GU and do that with my team shorts.  My DH does that with any bike or tri shorts that have elastic grippers.
2008-08-28 11:58 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
I wear 2XU tri shorts and a zoot top with an UnderArmour sports bra. I always take out my tri gear to a test drive in the weeks before a race. A couple laps in the pool then a few miles on the bike followed by a run around the block. I get funny looks from people in my neighborhood but have never had problems during a race. Tri gear isn't flattering ... I'm over that, I just want it to be comfortable. 
2008-08-28 12:31 PM

I love DeSoto trigear!  I wore there Carrera tri short and corset top for my first tri and loved the fit (no buldge!), no chaffing, fast drying, and moves with your body as well! take a look at there site online at www.desotosport.com.  And GOOD LUCK on your tri!
2008-08-28 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
I wear Oomph! tri shorts with a lycra exercise top that has a built in bra (from Target, I think?)  I also hated how I looked in just the tri shorts, so I recently got a race number skirt from Skirtsports.  It is so cute, and I can just pull it on in T2 with my number already on it.  Makes me feel like I have a little more coverage.
2008-08-28 7:42 PM

User image

New user

All of this info is so helpful...I will be looking into the recommended brands and their websites!

2008-08-28 8:23 PM

Did  my first Tri in the Danskin Tri suit, very affordable, comfortable, and supportive!  Good luck!
2008-08-29 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1636491

User image

New user

Went ahead today and ordered the Danskin 7" tri short and matching racer back bra top...will let you know how it fits/works out!
2008-08-29 9:01 PM

User image

New user
Greensboro

I had a really hard time finding tri tops and tri shorts to fit me (5'9' - 170lbs - size 12).  I ended up with the TYR 8" tri shorts. They are a little tight on the leg b/c of the elastic but, I put a little body glide around the gripper and they aren't too bad. But, my favorite tri top is a DeSoto racerback top.  It is longer so it doesn't ride up and it is very comfortable and flattering.  I don't know the name but, it's hot pink, white and burgandy. Good luck with your tri!!

jess

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For women: An attire question Rss Feed