General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Interviewing" a Potential Coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-07 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: "Interviewing" a Potential Coach
I'm in the process of looking for a coach. I have some basic questions I'd like to ask each of them, but I'm wondering what you asked your coach before you made your decision.

2008-01-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1138514

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: "Interviewing" a Potential Coach

I haven't .... but it is not really that much different than interviewing an employee combined with a first date ........ I know, weird combination, but hopefully you understand that.

You want to find out what sort of training philosophy they have, how they approach training their athletes, what sort of availability they have, how they design their plans, what sort of education/background they have in the sport and such.  And what their expectations of their athletes are ......

To me it really makes no difference if they can rip off a 9 hour Ironman or a 2:30 marathon.  That has nothing to do with how well they can coach and how well they know physiology and sports nutrition.  It just means they are good sthletes themselves.  Some of the best coaches out there are fat and out of shape, but they know how to get the most out of their athletes and have them excel.

The key is to find one that you meld with and that brings out both your strengths and weaknesses to make them better.

Edited by Daremo 2008-01-07 10:02 AM
2008-01-07 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA

What is their education background? Does it enhance their understanding of the sport and coaching?

What is their normal method of communication? Do they have a 24 hour rule on return emails?

Do they work with folks in person? Is that included and is it important to you?

Do they limit contact on some of their lower cost coaching programs?

How does coaching fit into their life? Are they a full time coach? Do they work full time, train as a triathlete and coach on the side to support their tri habit?

What experience do they have coaching? Limit # of folks they coach?
What experience do they have racing?
I personal don't think best athlete makes best coach could may not.

Do you mesh well with the coach, which I think is very important. Part is personalities and part is do they have same vision you do for yourself.

What is their philosophy?

How do they handle changes in your schedule? Will they rewrite your training plan or help move things around without limits or is that limited?

I'd ask for references of folks they have worked with and email or talk to them on the phone.

I've been with my coach this will be my 4th season. In talking/emailing with a few different coaches it was really clear who was the best choice for me and my mind was changed from who I thought I wanted to work with. 

Edited by KathyG 2008-01-07 10:08 AM
2008-01-07 10:11 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

These are some of the things I get I get asked during interviews or info I pass along to potential clients:

What is his/her Triathlon background experience wise, credentials, how long he/she is been coaching (notice - it is NOT important whether he/she is a good athlete or not)

Results and references from current athletes that you can contact

What types of plans are offered and what are the things offered in detail and you should expect from him/her

Specifics of the training plan approach, communication, how are training zones defined, etc. (i.e. annual training plan (periodization format), plan deliver in 4 week blocks, unlimited email contact, power/pace analysis, session reviews, training zones determined trough filed test, etc.)

What’s his/her interaction with athletes personality wise? Very important to see if he/she is a good match for your needs, personality, etc.  

what’s he/she expecting from you?

How proactive does he/she is to continue expanding triathlon/endurance sports knowledge & experience (i.e. attending USAT/USAC/USAS clinics or seminars, taking sports physiology classes, interaction with other coaches, etc.)

Edited by amiine 2008-01-07 10:12 AM
2008-01-07 10:22 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Gordo Byrn wrote a few thoughts on getting the most from your coach.  Good luck.

2008-01-07 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

People have already given you a great list.  Here is the one question that I got which made me really think about before I answered.

What is the reason you coach?

Good luck in finding a coach and don't be afraid to ask tough questions.  Also, ask to see a sample training plan.

2008-01-07 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Lots of good info so far, a few things that I would ask:

Are there any pieces of training equipment that are required - i.e. powermeter, HRM, GPS, etc

Can you provide some examples from a training plan for the distance?

What level of athlete do you usually (or prefer) to work with?

Are your programs fully personalized?

How do you apply the principles of physiology in your training programs?

Hope this helps, good luck in your search!

Shane

2008-01-08 9:30 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
In addition to all of the above (all great answers, hard ot include anything not already posted)...

Ask them what kind of information they will need from you before scheduling your first block.

You want a coach who takes into account you personal goals, athletic history, work, family life, prior committments,etc.

I've developed a nice 2 page athletic history questionaire that's short enough to not be tedious, but detailed enough to give me a good starting point. I then have a 1 hour sit down session to discuss details further with the athlete.

Before you shop for a coach (or maybe as you shop for one), you need to know or discover what you find important in a coach. You may go through one or two before find ing one that you mesh with.

For me, personality matches are the most important factor in my long term success with athletes and with my own coach.
2008-01-08 10:06 AM

User image

Master

Good luck finding your coach.

I was lucky in that I had heard so many great things about my coach that I really did not have to ask any questions.  On our first call, we mostly talked about what races I was planning on doing and what my expectations were. 

So to me,  above the questions that I would ask a coach, would be talking to other athletes who are coached about their coach.  IMHO, you will learn a lot more going that route.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Interviewing" a Potential Coach Rss Feed